End of Game Offense

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
HPAGGIE

End of Game Offense

Post by HPAGGIE » January 27th, 2020, 1:13 pm

At the end of the CSU game and during other games of the year (we will not discuss the BSU game) we spread out on offense, almost like a Merrill iso play, and we run a high ball screen pick-n-roll. We actually ran it pretty well, Queta got a couple dunks, etc. It appears that when we run this offense correctly we typically get a really high percentage shot at the basket (dunk or layup) or kick it for a wide open three. It seems that when we are running our motion offense that it is getting harder to get good shots out of it. My theory is to slow it down, get into half court ball, run the iso high pick and roll and let's see what Merrill and Queta can do. It reminds me of a couple years ago when the Jazz were playing the Rockets in the playoffs and Paul and Capela killed them with it. Yeah we may not score 85 points a game, but I think we have the pieces to run it and make defenses pay. Let's run it all game and make them stop our two best players. Thoughts?
These users thanked the author HPAGGIE for the post:
Roy McAvoy

aggieguy13

Re: End of Game Offense

Post by aggieguy13 » January 27th, 2020, 2:43 pm

I like it. Aside from generating good looks on offense, it also provides the added benefit of giving Queta lots of reps in what might end up being his destiny on offense in the NBA (setting screens and rolling to the hoop). We know what Queta can do on defense when he's at full strength, if he can master setting good screens, rolling to the hoop, catching the ball and finishing strong in traffic/passing out to the corner if the defense collapses, he'll have a long career.

It also highlights the importance of getting a good JC guard here next season. I don't know if we can trust Bairstow or one of the freshmen guards to run this type of offense quite yet.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 27th, 2020, 3:13 pm

It can be really effective if you have wing players that can shoot from the outside. This keeps defenses from cheating/sagging too much on the big (Queta) as he rolls to the basket. Good shooters can keep the defense honest. It also works well because Queta is coordinated enough that he can take a dribble and go strong to the hoop. Our other bigs cannot do that.

I hope Queta stays - he and Anthony could work well doing this with Anthony's athleticism. Some other guys will need to work on their outside shooting to keep defenses honest.

Eutaw St. Aggie

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 27th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Just don’t start it with 5 minutes left in regulation😩

Where only sage brush grows

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 27th, 2020, 6:46 pm

We did it with over 4 minutes left against CSU. it worked this time though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » January 27th, 2020, 9:03 pm

I guess I don’t understand the idea behind slowing it down. Yeah it takes time off the clock. But why not just play the same style that got you that 10,15, or 19 point lead?

Where only sage brush grows

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 27th, 2020, 9:21 pm

MrBiggle wrote:I guess I don’t understand the idea behind slowing it down. Yeah it takes time off the clock. But why not just play the same style that got you that 10,15, or 19 point lead?
Because ALL college coaches are control freaks that over coach every aspect of the game. They believe that running clock is more valuable than points. Most of the time they are right.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
Real Life Aggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 28th, 2020, 7:51 am

Forget Paul and Capela two dudes named Karl and John made hall of fame careers running a pick and roll and We have two of the best suited college players to dominate using it. Some teams can slow it down by jumping the screen if they are really good on ball defenders but two guys can get a connection going with that move it’s unstoppable. You don’t even need to slow anything down. Just spread the court and let them go to work.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
HPAGGIE

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 28th, 2020, 7:55 am

Queta did a good job a couple of times at the end of sealing his man off and then slipping to the hoop. He is so big if he positions himself right he can seal off any guy and should be able to roll to the hoop. If the other team starts bringing weak side help then heaven help us that someone can knock down an open three.
Last edited by frankiesaysrelax on January 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HPAGGIE

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 28th, 2020, 9:33 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:51 am
Forget Paul and Capela two dudes named Karl and John made hall of fame careers running a pick and roll and We have two of the best suited college players to dominate using it. Some teams can slow it down by jumping the screen if they are really good on ball defenders but two guys can get a connection going with that move it’s unstoppable. You don’t even need to slow anything down. Just spread the court and let them go to work.
I don't think that Karl-Anthony Towns and John Lucas III have had hall of fame careers yet. Plus, they really only played the one year together. Odd reference, man.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

HPAGGIE

Post by HPAGGIE » January 28th, 2020, 10:38 am

dyedblue wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 6:46 pm
We did it with over 4 minutes left against CSU. it worked this time though

I went back and looked and I think we started it around the 5:30 mark. At that time we were up 9, we increased that and won by 16, and I don't think they fouled on purpose at the end. I don't think we need to necessarily take the shot clock down every time, but just run the pick and roll the entire game when Merrill and Queta are in.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 28th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:33 am
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:51 am
I don't think that Karl-Anthony Towns and John Lucas III have had hall of fame careers yet. Plus, they really only played the one year together. Odd reference, man.
I was talking about Karl Lepinski and John Duffendorf from my old Ogden City Rec league. There is a hall of fame there and I should have mentioned that when writing op.
Real Life Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 28th, 2020, 2:31 pm

I think it could be effective at times during a game. But playing it all the time would be a disaster. One of things that has been successful for us is to move the ball a lot during the offensive possession. Make 5 or more passes with a lot of movement without the ball. And sometimes have a good shooter pop a 3 with less than 1 or 2 passes.
We need variety, and know when to use each different offense to keep opponents defenses honest.

When we played Boise, we went to the slow down with about 5 minutes left, and our momentum went down the tubes.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 28th, 2020, 3:05 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 2:31 pm
I think it could be effective at times during a game. But playing it all the time would be a disaster. One of things that has been successful for us is to move the ball a lot during the offensive possession. Make 5 or more passes with a lot of movement without the ball. And sometimes have a good shooter pop a 3 with less than 1 or 2 passes.
We need variety, and know when to use each different offense to keep opponents defenses honest.

When we played Boise, we went to the slow down with about 5 minutes left, and our momentum went down the tubes.
A good pick and roll game doesn't slow down the offense and you don't even need to use it as a set offense. If two players understand how to run it correctly you can use it whenever it's needed. If the shot clock is getting low and your set offense hasn't given opportunities then you bring Queta over and run it. There has to be a connection between the two players running it and you can use it anywhere in the half-court set at any time. It can't be more disastrous than us running ten off the ball screens at the top of the three-point line 30 feet away from the hoop.

sneed

Post by sneed » January 28th, 2020, 6:34 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:I think it could be effective at times during a game. But playing it all the time would be a disaster. One of things that has been successful for us is to move the ball a lot during the offensive possession. Make 5 or more passes with a lot of movement without the ball. And sometimes have a good shooter pop a 3 with less than 1 or 2 passes.

Quetta wasn’t in the last 5 min. I agree you can’t do this the whole game. I see help defense jumping in front of Quetta and flopping to try and defend this too.

AbsoluteAggie

Post by AbsoluteAggie » January 31st, 2020, 8:53 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 2:31 pm

This was well said. I agree completely :utah: :state: :utah: :state: :scotsman:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 31st, 2020, 10:18 am

Coach knows best.

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » January 31st, 2020, 8:35 pm

I think that if you are going to slow down the offense, then you better slow down their offense too by playing press defense. If your objective is to slow the game down, then do it in both sides of the ball.

Locked Previous topicNext topic