Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 15th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 9:05 pm
aggies22 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm
ususports wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:59 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm
honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!
If you (as a fan) want to visit with our cornerbacks during the game, you will now have that opportunity because they will be in the stands with you when they should be on the field. Last time Maile was co-defensive coordinator, he was not aggressive in his play calling and our corners gave a mile of cushion at the line of scrimmage. Maile clearly has the recipe for what has been successful in the past by working with successful coaches (not speaking of his playing years as that was Brent Guy), so hopefully, he has learned and uses his coaching experience this time. I’m happy for the change (Ena was not good), but only time will tell if it was a good replacement. I have my concerns, but will hope for the best.
I think the issue with the defensive backs was Shavers area, who was the other co-coordinator.
I second this. Shaver was the passing D coordinator, and the in-game play caller. We have yet to see what Frank has to offer as a play caller (if he does indeed do it, it may be Stacy which would not surprise me). Additionally, neither of these coaches are the same as they were 3 years ago, as I believe the year with Keith Patterson and his philosophies was a career-shaping experience for both of them. I expect a lot of that 3-4 front with a much more aggressive mindset and set of schemes like we saw with KP. Even if it is a record-setting defense, I have a hard time seeing it being anywhere near as poor as this year was. I will never get over how atrocious the game plan for AF was. Just unbelievable. I am very happy that Gary decided to change things up.
We just didn't have alot of talent the year Frank and Shaver were Co-DCs. One thing that says it all is a starting linebacker from that season didn't even make the travel roster two years later. And another starter from that season was buried in the depth chart the next year. That said, I have concerns about our talent at linebacker this year, but Frank and Collins are great recruiters. Frank for instance was how we got Mata Hola to pick us over BYU, Boise State and Oklahoma State.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 15th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Had a hell of a busy day at work, but have been processing this as well.

I really like it.

Don't fire Ena, show loyalty. His peers rose above him, and so Andersen is rewarding them. They're getting their shot.
He's not throwing Ena to the scrap heap either though as this was his first DC role and it didn't work out. I'm sure Ena did and will learn lessons from his first go round.

Like it a lot.

Also, those that keep spewing their BS about Andersen losing the passion not caring anymore.... please stop already. The guy has the passion and cares. I've been around the block a bit and I might have kicked the trash can in a sales meeting at 30 but I won't at my age because I've matured.
So has coach A.
Stop it already.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
ThunderAggieRoy McAvoyAggieBlues

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 15th, 2020, 9:36 pm

I ran into Stacey Collins yesterday morning. Had a couple of folks from out of town at work for some meetings and between some meetings I went with them to the Starbucks right outside the West Gate at Hill. It took me just a second to recognize Coach Collins. Didn't realize at the time I was shaking the hand of the new co-DC.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 5:33 pm
Collins is important to keep on staff for recruiting alone. This promotion will hopefully keep him here.
Collins has shown his metal during the season. Making the change must have been tough for Gary, not unexpected, yet personally tough for Gary after bringing Ena from Utah. The tough part of this change is, no matter how nice a fellow Ena may have been he was patently out prepared and out adjusted during the season.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
GUS

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 15th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Question: was our next prior OC encouraged to find another placement? Just stewin' and speculatin'.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

natco
Has thanked: 0

Post by natco » January 15th, 2020, 10:06 pm

Collins and Maile on offense made no sense last year. Neither one of them had been on that side of the ball before and probably did our offense no favors. Just a bad experiment. Both of them are defensive guys and should be on the defensive side of the ball. Glad to see them back where they belong.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 10:22 pm

natco wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 10:06 pm
Collins and Maile on offense made no sense last year. Neither one of them had been on that side of the ball before and probably did our offense no favors. Just a bad experiment. Both of them are defensive guys and should be on the defensive side of the ball. Glad to see them back where they belong.
It's my understanding that Gary told Frank that he is the Head Coach in waiting and that a move to the offensive side of the ball would allow him to see how things worked. Clearly, Frank's best work is done on the defensive side of the ball.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 15th, 2020, 10:42 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm
honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!
Frank probably won't try and convince anyone that a four-man front is still a good idea. He and Stacy have been here for years and know the defensive recipe for success.
Yes, better players

Turtle

Post by Turtle » January 15th, 2020, 10:57 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 5:52 pm
Not sure about the Co-DC thing, but, whatever.
Look, it doesn't take a genius to know that every organization thrives when it has two leaders. Go ahead, name a country that doesn't have two presidents. A boat that sets sail without two captains. Where would Catholicism be without the popes?
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post (total 2):
brownjeansBlue42

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 15th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Hate the co-coordinator thing

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Turtle wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 10:57 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
Look, it doesn't take a genius to know that every organization thrives when it has two leaders. Go ahead, name a country that doesn't have two presidents. A boat that sets sail without two captains. Where would Catholicism be without the popes?
Oh Oscar

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 16th, 2020, 6:24 am

Turtle wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 10:57 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
Interesting.....two heads now fit in one hat????? Do we get the best of two heads or just a migraine from this? I need to look around the college coaching ranks to see how many functional CO anythings are generating success on the gridiron.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 16th, 2020, 7:13 am

Did not see us moving on from ena after one year. Sometimes there is wisdom in crowds and Gary saw what all of us saw. I probably would have looked elsewhere for a replacement dc, but excited for next year regardless. Go Aggies!

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » January 16th, 2020, 7:19 am

brownjeans wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 11:21 pm
That's what the public is told. I'm sure that behind the scenes one of them is in charge. I would guess it's Frank but that's just a guess. Collins gets a title which equals more money and resume builder. Keeps a great recruiter in the fold.
These users thanked the author GeorgiaAggie for the post (total 4):
hipsterdoofus21BLUERUFiOdonlarson8sneed

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » January 16th, 2020, 7:52 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 7:19 am
brownjeans wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 11:21 pm
That's what the public is told. I'm sure that behind the scenes one of them is in charge. I would guess it's Frank but that's just a guess. Collins gets a title which equals more money and resume builder. Keeps a great recruiter in the fold.
This.

They will have a clear delineation of duties, and there is no reason it shouldn't work well.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
donlarson8oleblu111

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 16th, 2020, 7:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 10:22 pm
natco wrote:
It's my understanding that Gary told Frank that he is the Head Coach in waiting and that a move to the offensive side of the ball would allow him to see how things worked. Clearly, Frank's best work is done on the defensive side of the ball.

That's interesting. Seems like that projected promotion would need to come from Hartwell.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 7:58 am

2004AG wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 7:53 am
aggies22 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 10:22 pm
natco wrote:

That's interesting. Seems like that projected promotion would need to come from Hartwell.
Perhaps it has.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 16th, 2020, 8:22 am

I'm not at all concerned about the Co-coordinator title with Frank and Stacy. These two guys have worked together for how many years together now? I believe they will have their roles and duties defined where they're not trying to compete with each other. This isn't like two new guys getting together for the first time to coach together and then trying to both run things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » January 16th, 2020, 8:37 am

I'm assuming FM and SC know enough to ditch the four man front. But I'm guessing that the four man choice was a joint one between GA and JE in the first place. So I'm not sure who will be picking a defensive scheme next year.

I'm going to hold off on the celebrations until we see what scheme the defense is going to use. But I am glad JE is no longer the Defensive Coordinator.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 8:56 am

bigblue wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 8:22 am
I'm not at all concerned about the Co-coordinator title with Frank and Stacy. These two guys have worked together for how many years together now? I believe they will have their roles and duties defined where they're not trying to compete with each other. This isn't like two new guys getting together for the first time to coach together and then trying to both run things.

Exactly! Remember, these two dudes held this program together while everybody else bailed for Lubbock.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOdonlarson8

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 16th, 2020, 8:57 am

bigblue wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 8:22 am

I agree with this. Just a year ago Frank/Stacy were basically the only coaches left to get the team ready for the bowl game in which they did a fantastic job. I this they will both work well together.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 16th, 2020, 10:30 am

Collins is a great all-around, hardrocking coach.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » January 16th, 2020, 10:30 am

I'm still amazed that Matt didn't poach Collins to follow them to TT.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 10:35 am

breadysmith wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 10:30 am
I'm still amazed that Matt didn't poach Collins to follow them to TT.
I think he saw an opportunity to further his career at Utah State so he stayed behind. A year later, he's added co-defensive coordinator to his resume'.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 16th, 2020, 11:38 am

If we are going to judge how good these coach's are based on what scheme they run , that will be a error, because last season we had a huge lack of strength on the D. front line people, and one good linebacker. We were not tough enough.

Recruiting and player development is 90% of the job. Scheme's, and play calling have a part of course, but not nearly what some folks believe. Motivation is a part of success at this level.

One area that I'm concerned with is strength and conditioning. I hope that those people can get the job done, because last season was terrible.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
2004AGsneed

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Frank stated at the press conference today that there will be a return to the 3-4 defense. He specifically named running something similar to what was run in 2018. The Aggie Gods are smiling right now.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOusufan1aceofspadeskb

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 16th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Thanks for the report, 22. That is the best news.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
aggies22

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 16th, 2020, 1:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:43 pm
Frank stated at the press conference today that there will be a return to the 3-4 defense. He specifically named running something similar to what was run in 2018. The Aggie Gods are smiling right now.
This is great news as we for sure don't have the horses/depth to run 4 down lineman. With switching to a 3/4 do we have the line backing group to be successful? Our line backer play without Woody was not very stellar. Do you think we will add in more a nickel look like we did with Roquemore?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 16th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 1:50 pm
aggies22 wrote:
This is great news as we for sure don't have the horses/depth to run 4 down lineman. With switching to a 3/4 do we have the line backing group to be successful? Our line backer play without Woody was not very stellar. Do you think we will add in more a nickel look like we did with Roquemore?
It's going to depend on who we are playing that week. We have some youngsters that needed a year in the weight room but have a ton of potential. I know that's not much of a guarantee but you have to start somewhere. It's always a surprise when a freshman redshirt or true can turn some heads. With the confirmation of the change in the defensive scheme, I won't be shocked if we add a pair of grad transfer linebackers. That way it's not all put on freshmen to perform immediately.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 17th, 2020, 6:52 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Even when the aggies ran a a true 3-4 they were really in a nickel 3 3 5 about half the time. With Roquemore it just gave them a guy who could make big plays in roles and stay out there the whole game.

In other words it was a good coordinator figuring out how to keep his playmakers in the game. It's not about your base formations but how you adjust to put your playmakers in position bases on their skills that makes a D good.

Unfortunately last year the changes had the opposite effect.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
oleblu111

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » January 17th, 2020, 7:00 am

hickaggie wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 6:52 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Even when the aggies ran a a true 3-4 they were really in a nickel 3 3 5 about half the time. With Roquemore it just gave them a guy who could make big plays in roles and stay out there the whole game.

In other words it was a good coordinator figuring out how to keep his playmakers in the game. It's not about your base formations but how you adjust to put your playmakers in position bases on their skills that makes a D good.

Unfortunately last year the changes had the opposite effect.
Agreed. I think many of us agree that the changes made in 2019 did not compliment our players abilities.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 17th, 2020, 8:54 am

oleblu111 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 11:38 am
If we are going to judge how good these coach's are based on what scheme they run , that will be a error, because last season we had a huge lack of strength on the D. front line people, and one good linebacker. We were not tough enough.

Recruiting and player development is 90% of the job. Scheme's, and play calling have a part of course, but not nearly what some folks believe. Motivation is a part of success at this level.

One area that I'm concerned with is strength and conditioning. I hope that those people can get the job done, because last season was terrible.

Bear Bryant,,,the legendary Alabama coach noted that success is 90% recruiting and 10% coaching. Also noted that the 10% can really muck things up.

Scratching my head after the late spring reports that the Strength and Conditioning was more demanding than the prior S & T staff had demanded. Not being part of the on site and up close strength evaluation, I just have no idea how to rate the players. Having said that, it seemed to me the team measurably tailed off after the Nevada game and the back part of the season was just walked through.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 17th, 2020, 1:18 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 8:54 am
oleblu111 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 11:38 am

Bear Bryant,,,the legendary Alabama coach noted that success is 90% recruiting and 10% coaching. Also noted that the 10% can really muck things up.

Scratching my head after the late spring reports that the Strength and Conditioning was more demanding than the prior S & T staff had demanded. Not being part of the on site and up close strength evaluation, I just have no idea how to rate the players. Having said that, it seemed to me the team measurably tailed off after the Nevada game and the back part of the season was just walked through.
I'm not convinced D line strength was nearly the issue its made out to be. First we lost our stud tackle and his replacements were nose guards who did seem out of shape. Anderson and the other tackles issues didn't stem from getting blown off the ball but rather speed, lack of pass rush technique, and lane discipline.

The strength issue was obvious from the D-end standpoint because 2 of the main D ends were converted LBs without the physical makeup to play the position. Of course, they got blown off the ball and forced upfield or held inside.

The Aggie LBs were slow, young and used bad technique, breakdown, and angles outside of Woody.

The effect of the 4-2-5 defense left the Aggies with a combination of NGs not used to playing tackle and displaced 3-4 ends kind of being tweeners at the tackle spot with LBs playing ends. I think they jump back to the 3-4 just fine other than the Aggies need a couple of stud nose tackles.

The LBs are a different story. That group needs a makeover in attitude, technique, and most importantly speed.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » January 17th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Stacy will be in the box calling the D. Frank will be on the field. The lack of strength is a issue I believe was a big problem up front as does G.A.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 17th, 2020, 1:50 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 1:28 pm
Stacy will be in the box calling the D. Frank will be on the field. The lack of strength is a issue I believe was a big problem up front as does G.A.
We'll just have to disagree. Yes D-line strength was a huge issue on the outside because we had our OLBs playing out of position. I saw it much more of a technique and scheme implementation issue on the inside. These guys didn't suddenly lose strength from last year. They were being asked to do different things and not coached very well on understanding gap responsibilities. Part of it is a trust issue. A gap D like the 4 2 5 needs to have everyone trusting their counterparts. When the ends lose C gap and get to too far upfield or held the poor backers are suddenly trying to cover 2 gaps and sometimes with a lead coming through and worry about whether outside is lost too. The inside guys become almost ineffective as taking their respective B and A gaps leaves a huge void through C and the strong B gaps which offenses quickly see and realize they can let the center or a guard help by just pounding C and outside because if they do that the tackles are taking themselves out of the play. We saw that particularly with Boise and the Zoobs and their pulling guards. Soon nobody trusts their responsibilities.

Is strength an issue. Yes you can always get stronger and our LBs need to shed better. But speed is the bigger issue there.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic