Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Intermeddler
Posts: 1760
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Intermeddler » January 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Collins and Maile co-DCs. Ena coaching LBs

Big changes



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2286
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by newhouse9 » January 15th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Hmmm. Not sure what to think on this one.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5204
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 492 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 15th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Wow.

I'm not sure I've heard of a demotion of this level while still keeping the coach on staff? Ena was hired specifically to be the DC.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Intermeddler



Intermeddler
Posts: 1760
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Intermeddler » January 15th, 2020, 4:50 pm




User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4280
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by aceofspadeskb » January 15th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Is it a demotion or did he step down?



Intermeddler
Posts: 1760
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 126 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Intermeddler » January 15th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 4:50 pm
Wow.

I'm not sure I've heard of a demotion of this level while still keeping the coach on staff? Ena was hired specifically to be the DC.
Yeah he is essentially back in the same spot he was at Utah but now at Utah State. Can't be happy about it but honestly it is justified. Glad GA is willing to make tough choices with a guy he is probably close to personally.

I hope we fill the 10th spot soon as well to lighten Collins' recruiting load.



User avatar
ThunderAggie
Posts: 988
Joined: November 20th, 2017, 7:52 pm
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 274 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by ThunderAggie » January 15th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm
Collins and Maile co-DCs. Ena coaching LBs

Big changes
So only linebackers will miss tackles now.... :lol:

Joking aside, I think this is a really smart move! Our defense struggled big time and we needed change.
Last edited by ThunderAggie on January 15th, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 624
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Sl7vk » January 15th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Wow!



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7805
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by dyedblue » January 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Wow. I am excited to see Gary exhibit some leadership. That has to be a very difficult decision and conversation


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

User avatar
Dwigt
Posts: 1215
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:23 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Dwigt » January 15th, 2020, 5:26 pm

I had to scroll back to the top to make sure AK wasn’t the OP.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post (total 6):
tysteve20BearLakeMonsterjpswensencrazywookieWillCut72AndroidAggie


"The threshold of insult is in direct relation to intelligence and security." John Steinbeck

User avatar
bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff, '16 Bowl, '19 WTHCG
Posts: 2181
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by bigblue » January 15th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I think this is the right move. It's definitely a surprise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

NVAggie
Posts: 16180
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 690 times
Been thanked: 627 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by NVAggie » January 15th, 2020, 5:32 pm

This was unexpected for sure. I will be interested to see how it all works out.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1090
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 15th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Collins is important to keep on staff for recruiting alone. This promotion will hopefully keep him here.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
donlarson8



Elkaggie
Posts: 3711
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Elkaggie » January 15th, 2020, 5:43 pm

I wonder who will call plays on D?



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1090
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » January 15th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Elkaggie wrote:I wonder who will call plays on D?
I bet Collins gets a raise and promotion in title and will be involved in the scheming but I’m guessing Frank calls the plays in-game.



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2368
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 371 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by BLUERUFiO » January 15th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Wow. I was not expecting this. I’m happy about it. Not sure about the Co-DC thing, but, whatever.


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 5107
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 15th, 2020, 5:52 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Ena was taking Frank's Associate Head Coach role.


"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."
-Thomas Paine


Smokin Joe
Posts: 3593
Joined: July 11th, 2011, 9:59 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 104 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Smokin Joe » January 15th, 2020, 6:04 pm

I like GA's willingness to tackle an apparent problem and put team first.



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4916
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 15th, 2020, 6:29 pm

Gary did demote Busch from DC without firing him during his first stint. Speaking of which, Busch did help LSU to a national title, so maybe he wasn't as poor of a coach as we thought, or is just a poor coordinator but a great position coach. Maybe he has a personality that connects better with blue chip athletes than the kids we get here. Or maybe the LSU players hate him just as much but like Dave Aranda and Ed Orgeron.

As for Frank, how can you not love the fact that he has a better winning percentage as a head coach than Nick Saban and Urban Meyer!

Bojay should be kept on staff cause of his recruiting polys, but with what he has to be desired at Xs and Os, considering how poor our tackling was last year and how many yards a game his defenses gave up at San Jose State, maybe moving him to running backs would have been a better idea.



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 6681
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 874 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by USU78 » January 15th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Good.


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Agezzz
Posts: 169
Joined: September 14th, 2014, 3:23 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Agezzz » January 15th, 2020, 6:57 pm

This is a huge shake up.....seems odd to do so much yet not very much during the season with the DC. Maybe Gary could have stepped in more on the D side? Maybe he did and we don't know, it just seemed like every game the Defense got worse and yet nothing ever changed with position coaches. :headscratch:



blueblood
Posts: 311
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by blueblood » January 15th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Did anyone else catch the inside backers for Ena and outside backers for Bojoy?? Does this mean we will be going back to the 3-4???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2950 times
Been thanked: 1647 times
Contact:

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 7:15 pm

blueblood wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:02 pm
Did anyone else catch the inside backers for Ena and outside backers for Bojoy?? Does this mean we will be going back to the 3-4???


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bojay was the outside backers coach last season but all his outside backers got converted to defensive ends. Ena was also the inside backers coach last season.



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2950 times
Been thanked: 1647 times
Contact:

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 7:17 pm

I'm happy with the move Ena was a disaster.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggs&Jazz12



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2950 times
Been thanked: 1647 times
Contact:

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 7:33 pm

It also means we are in the market for a running backs coach.



User avatar
ShowMeAggie
Posts: 560
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:43 am
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm

honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2950 times
Been thanked: 1647 times
Contact:

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 7:41 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm
honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!
Frank probably won't try and convince anyone that a four-man front is still a good idea. He and Stacy have been here for years and know the defensive recipe for success.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1549
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 390 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Aggie84025 » January 15th, 2020, 7:54 pm

Not sure what to think but i will give Gary credit for not settling for status quo. I am hopeful we can get things headed in the right direction on defense. So we need a running backs coach and somebody for special teams correct?



ususports
Posts: 1207
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by ususports » January 15th, 2020, 7:59 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm
honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!
If you (as a fan) want to visit with our cornerbacks during the game, you will now have that opportunity because they will be in the stands with you when they should be on the field. Last time Maile was co-defensive coordinator, he was not aggressive in his play calling and our corners gave a mile of cushion at the line of scrimmage. Maile clearly has the recipe for what has been successful in the past by working with successful coaches (not speaking of his playing years as that was Brent Guy), so hopefully, he has learned and uses his coaching experience this time. I’m happy for the change (Ena was not good), but only time will tell if it was a good replacement. I have my concerns, but will hope for the best.



aggies22
Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8453
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 2950 times
Been thanked: 1647 times
Contact:

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by aggies22 » January 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm

ususports wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:59 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm
honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!
If you (as a fan) want to visit with our cornerbacks during the game, you will now have that opportunity because they will be in the stands with you when they should be on the field. Last time Maile was co-defensive coordinator, he was not aggressive in his play calling and our corners gave a mile of cushion at the line of scrimmage. Maile clearly has the recipe for what has been successful in the past by working with successful coaches (not speaking of his playing years as that was Brent Guy), so hopefully, he has learned and uses his coaching experience this time. I’m happy for the change (Ena was not good), but only time will tell if it was a good replacement. I have my concerns, but will hope for the best.
I think the issue with the defensive backs was Shavers area, who was the other co-coordinator.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2637
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 474 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by ineptimusprime » January 15th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Always great to replace a Cougar with an Aggie. I hope Frank shines.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
donlarson8



Elkaggie
Posts: 3711
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Elkaggie » January 15th, 2020, 8:57 pm

I wonder if Ena wanted/needed to take a step back.

I also don’t think we really have seen enough of (if any) of FM as DC. Even when he was co- dc he didn’t really get to be dc/ call plays or put his stamp on a defense. I for one think GA will take more responsibility with defense (maybe even call plays) and train up both FM and SC. I expect our defense to be improved next year.
Last edited by Elkaggie on January 15th, 2020, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7805
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 426 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by dyedblue » January 15th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Elkaggie wrote:I wonder if Ena wanted/needed to take a step back.

I also don’t think we really have seen enough of (if any) of FM as DC. Even when he was co- dc he didn’t really get to be dc or call plays. I for one think GA will take more responsibility with defense (maybe even call plays) and train up both FM and SC. I expect our defense to be improved next year.

Where’s KissMyAg? They can tell us what Justin is/was thinking.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggs&Jazz12
Posts: 94
Joined: July 5th, 2017, 4:43 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » January 15th, 2020, 9:05 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm
ususports wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:59 pm
ShowMeAggie wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:34 pm
honest question: did we like Maile as DC before? I have a vague recollection that we did NOT. We've never seen Collins as DC. 5/22 years as a DC, popping into and out of the position doesn't scream DC prodigy.

I LOVED FM's demeanor and attitude leading up to and after Wells' departure, and I'm really glad we've still got him. Same with SC...he's been a recruiting ROCK-STAR and I've generally been pleased with our special teams while he's been coordinator as well. not disagreeing AT ALL that we wanted to keep those two on staff...somehow, somewhere.

But I'm not convinced that this is the huge step forward on defense that some seem to think it is? I guess I'm glad we at least tried something and didn't settle for the status quo. Somebody convince me that this is really going to solve our problems on D...?!
If you (as a fan) want to visit with our cornerbacks during the game, you will now have that opportunity because they will be in the stands with you when they should be on the field. Last time Maile was co-defensive coordinator, he was not aggressive in his play calling and our corners gave a mile of cushion at the line of scrimmage. Maile clearly has the recipe for what has been successful in the past by working with successful coaches (not speaking of his playing years as that was Brent Guy), so hopefully, he has learned and uses his coaching experience this time. I’m happy for the change (Ena was not good), but only time will tell if it was a good replacement. I have my concerns, but will hope for the best.
I think the issue with the defensive backs was Shavers area, who was the other co-coordinator.
I second this. Shaver was the passing D coordinator, and the in-game play caller. We have yet to see what Frank has to offer as a play caller (if he does indeed do it, it may be Stacy which would not surprise me). Additionally, neither of these coaches are the same as they were 3 years ago, as I believe the year with Keith Patterson and his philosophies was a career-shaping experience for both of them. I expect a lot of that 3-4 front with a much more aggressive mindset and set of schemes like we saw with KP. Even if it is a record-setting defense, I have a hard time seeing it being anywhere near as poor as this year was. I will never get over how atrocious the game plan for AF was. Just unbelievable. I am very happy that Gary decided to change things up.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5846
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 284 times
Contact:

Re: Staff Shakeup Ena out as DC

Post by TheAKAggie » January 15th, 2020, 9:20 pm

Dwigt wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 5:26 pm
I had to scroll back to the top to make sure AK wasn’t the OP.
Fair. I've earned that.
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
Dwigt


Hail Aggies!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic