Player / Team question

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdidwhat

Player / Team question

Post by aggiesdidwhat » January 11th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Hey all. As I've been watching these games since really Florida. It seems like if we do get on a run Brito often kills it with missed shot after missed shot. Please understand. I'm truly not trying to take a shot at these amazing, hard working kids. It's something I just keep seeing. So I wonder. Maybe Bairstow or Anderson maybe gets more playing time? Maybe Brito defense makes up for it? Today he seemed to miss a lot. Great great young man though. Just a thought.

Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Player / Team question

Post by brownjeans » January 11th, 2020, 10:19 pm

Brito shot better last year. He offers a lot with his ball handling, passing, and defense, so we need him to play. And if he's going to play, we need him to take, and make, a 3 when he's open.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13Real Life Aggie

FireAg

Post by FireAg » January 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Brito and Miller, and to lesser extents, Merrill, Porter and Bean are in shooting slumps. It's rare to have this many of your best players go through a slump at the same time. I remember a game when Larry Bird was coaching the Pacers and Reggie Miller - one of the best 3 point shooters in history was something like 0 for 8 or something like that and Reggie told Coach Larry that he was trying to bring it but it wasn't happening for him that night. Coach Larry said something like, "Bull, if you were really trying to bring it you'd be 0 for 20". The only way to get through a shooting slump is to shoot your way through it. I think that these players have got to keep shooting when open and the slumps will end. With the talent this team has, we can absorb 1 or 2 of these guys having shooting slumps - just not all 5.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 11th, 2020, 10:58 pm

FireAg wrote:
January 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm
Brito and Miller, and to lesser extents, Merrill, Porter and Bean are in shooting slumps. It's rare to have this many of your best players go through a slump at the same time. I remember a game when Larry Bird was coaching the Pacers and Reggie Miller - one of the best 3 point shooters in history was something like 0 for 8 or something like that and Reggie told Coach Larry that he was trying to bring it but it wasn't happening for him that night. Coach Larry said something like, "Bull, if you were really trying to bring it you'd be 0 for 20". The only way to get through a shooting slump is to shoot your way through it. I think that these players have got to keep shooting when open and the slumps will end. With the talent this team has, we can absorb 1 or 2 of these guys having shooting slumps - just not all 5.
I agree they need to keep shooting but they can also drive and get a closer look. Mueller is actually pretty decent when he pump fakes and drives in and shoots a 12 to 14 footer. . I don't know what Miller's 3-point shooting percentage was tonight but I think he was like one for 7. Quite frankly we can't have that if you're not making them you've got to be able to drive and get a better look or get fouled.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 11th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Miller could be such a great player that is frustrating that the only thing he brings is his shooting. He looked so lost on defense tonight. Every time down the floor his guy dropped threes, broke his ankles, or forced a switch. At the end of the game Harris darn bear set him in his butt.

Bairstow playing so well bodes well for us as he will take more minutes away from Miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

afausu

Post by afausu » January 12th, 2020, 8:29 am

Those step-back threes Miller was taking were a joke. There’s nothing wrong with a 15-18 foot jump shot. Unfortunately, the mid-range jumper is a lost art.

dyedblue

Player / Team question

Post by dyedblue » January 12th, 2020, 8:38 am

The one time Miller pump faked and drove he banked in a layup. Great play. Pump fake step back threes are such a low percentage play that even NBA guys don’t take them often.

Bairstow fed the post a lot and had two and one off pump fake drives to the basket. Great plays.

Last edited by dyedblue on January 12th, 2020, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 12th, 2020, 8:39 am

We need to look no farther than the MWC stats to see our problem. We are dead last in the conference in 3-point % and second to last in overall FG %.

https://themw.com/stats.aspx?path=mbbal ... &conf=true

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 12th, 2020, 8:42 am

Yes, Miller can't make a normal three and not he is launching step back 3s. If we are going to do anything this year we need Mller to be a real threat. Brito is struggling bad too. Hopefully that last one he made helps him get out of this funk.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 12th, 2020, 8:48 am

dyedblue wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:38 am
The one time Miller pump faked and drove he banked in a layup. Great play. Pump fake step back threes are such a low percentage play that even NBA guys don’t take them often.

Bairstow fed the post a lot and had two and one off pump fake drives to the basket. Great plays.

That was an awesome play by him. He has shown that he can do that i just wished he would do that 3-4 times a game.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 12th, 2020, 8:58 am

utaggies wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:39 am
We need to look no farther than the MWC stats to see our problem. We are dead last in the conference in 3-point % and second to last in overall FG %.

https://themw.com/stats.aspx?path=mbbal ... &conf=true
Great post it really comes down to if we can increase our 3-point shooting to even 35 to 36% we will be very tough to beat. Now how we go about doing that is another story since we're shooting 25% in conference.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 12th, 2020, 10:52 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:48 am
dyedblue wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:38 am

That was an awesome play by him. He has shown that he can do that i just wished he would do that 3-4 times a game.
I agree. Miller's mid rage floater is a great shot. Rather see him take more of those.

Locked Previous topicNext topic