Anderson losing confidence

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies

Anderson losing confidence

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 4th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Looks lost when he plays, hasn't made FTs past few games and lost faith in his shot, sits the entire 2H. We needed him in order to keep winning games with Sam clearly hobbled so not surprised we are 0-2 with him playing very little/not well

2004AG

Re: Anderson losing confidence

Post by 2004AG » January 4th, 2020, 10:12 pm

I don’t know why Smith hates Anderson and is obsessed with Miller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 4th, 2020, 10:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Anderson doesn't work in the system as well at the 3, but he has to find a way to utilize him if Bean and Queta are gonna try to play all game

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 4th, 2020, 10:19 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Anderson doesn't work in the system as well at the 3, but he has to find a way to utilize him if Bean and Queta are gonna try to play all game
Miller doesn’t work in this system either though.

Aggie75

Post by Aggie75 » January 4th, 2020, 10:26 pm

Anderson appear to be too slow and undersized to be effective when the rest of the team is struggling. If someone would just take off it would help everyone including Anderson. If we can't hit from the guard line to open things up the defense will continue to corral Anderson.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 4th, 2020, 10:27 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:19 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Like it or not, him being a 3 poiint threat and running around screens is needed to open things up in the system and I'm not sure who else fits the bill besides Sam/Brito who already play tons at the 1/2. Bairstow is worth a shot but Anderson is not that player, he plays like a big.

Miller was a big reason for our success last year, him not making shots is hurting us offensively right now for sure but I don't see too many other options.
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
utaggies

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 4th, 2020, 10:37 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Like it or not, him being a 3 poiint threat and running around screens is needed to open things up in the system and I'm not sure who else fits the bill besides Sam/Brito who already play tons at the 1/2. Bairstow is worth a shot but Anderson is not that player, he plays like a big.

Miller was a big reason for our success last year, him not making shots is hurting us offensively right now for sure but I don't see too many other options.
By not hitting any shots, he’s no threat.

Miller needs to sit on the bench. Miller can’t shoot well enough to take any pressure of Sam. Bairstow should be play ahead of him. Somebody. Anybody.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Intermeddlertysteve20

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 4th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Just a few weeks ago Anderson was dropping 20 on LSU. We need him to start showing up and be able to actually give him playing time. If he plays good, he stays in, but he has not, so his minutes are getting limited. Smith plays who gives us the best chance at winning and Anderson is not playing like it right now.

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » January 4th, 2020, 10:45 pm

2004AG wrote:
You should ask him...
Last edited by KissMyAg on January 4th, 2020, 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 4th, 2020, 10:47 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
2004AG wrote:
You should ask him...
Unfortunately I don’t have his phone number or I would.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » January 4th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Anderson didn’t close out on a 3 that I think put them up 17-11 and smith lost his mind at him. Wasn’t surprised we didn’t see him much more given his reaction but was surprised he was so upset
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post:
WillCut72

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » January 4th, 2020, 10:48 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:45 pm
2004AG wrote:
You should ask him...
No he doesn't he knows more than coach Smith.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 4th, 2020, 11:04 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:45 pm
2004AG wrote:
You should ask him...
No he doesn't he knows more than coach Smith.
That’s correct. I don’t.

But coaches aren’t perfect and coaches can and do make mistakes. Lots of them.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 4th, 2020, 11:23 pm

Unfortunately for Anderson he's a new player in a new system, at an upgrade in competition, all the while with a role that has been in constant flux the entire season due to injuries and appendices. I'd be lost a bit too. But the fact remains we need him badly with the lack of scorers on this team.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 4th, 2020, 11:40 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:27 pm
2004AG wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Even with his shooting struggles this year, SDSU made a concerted effort to have a guy in Miller's jersey every time he touched the ball tonight. As long as he's still drawing that kind of attention, he's providing value. Here's hoping his shot starts falling soon.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesReal Life Aggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 5th, 2020, 12:05 am

I do find it interesting that coach lets Miller play through quite a bit of failure and yet Anderson gets 0 PT in the 2nd half after a short stint on the court in the 1st. He can't impact the game if he's not our there. He just seems to have a smaller window for error than others for some reason.

We need guys that are both good athletes and exert maximum effort. Smith seems to put a premium on the maximum effort part over having athletic talent. You even see it in the type of guy he recruits. When he was hired I made the comment that I thought he and his staff would have an eye opening experience as to the level of athlete he would need to recruit to compete for championships. Then he went off and did it year one with a group of decent players that happened to consist of one dominant feshman center that fell into their laps.

I think this staff inherited some nice pieces and have added a few good ones but we're just not getting the contribution we need from the guys that were added yet. Anderson looked like he was going to prove to be the best pickup early in the year and now he hardly plays as we move into critical conference play? It just doesn't add up.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
AggieFBObsession

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 5th, 2020, 12:11 am

Aglicious wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 12:05 am
I do find it interesting that coach lets Miller play through quite a bit of failure and yet Anderson gets 0 PT in the 2nd half after a short stint on the court in the 1st. He can't impact the game if he's not our there. He just seems to have a smaller window for error than others for some reason.

We need guys that are both good athletes and exert maximum effort. Smith seems to put a premium on the maximum effort part over having athletic talent. You even see it in the type of guy he recruits. When he was hired I made the comment that I thought he and his staff would have an eye opening experience as to the level of athlete he would need to recruit to compete for championships. Then he went off and did it year one with a group of decent players that happened to consist of one dominant feshman center that fell into their laps.

I think this staff inherited some nice pieces and have added a few good ones but we're just not getting the contribution we need from the guys that were added yet. Anderson looked like he was going to prove to be the best pickup early in the year and now he hardly plays as we move into critical conference play? It just doesn't add up.
We can’t do it without Anderson. He’s critical to our success with his skill set so I agree Aglicious it makes sense to let him take his lumps and work through his slump. Smith is a great coach and even greater person. I think he feels a lot of loyalty to the returning players and that can cloud his objectivity.

What about Bischoff? Wasn’t he a good shooter in Juco?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » January 5th, 2020, 12:37 am

I love coach Smith but i do think some players have smaller leashes than others that i dont understand. Anderson does not have confidence right now as does brito/miller. I think anderson needs some minutes. Be huge to get him back as a scoring threat. Bairstow i think needs some minutes as well. Anderson will make an impact this year I know it he will help us win some more games.

Locked Previous topicNext topic