Future of USU Football

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
gomretat

Re: Future of USU Football

Post by gomretat » December 27th, 2019, 5:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 7:29 pm
gomretat wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 1:20 pm
1) New QB
2) Tough schedule
3) Very few new players

2020 season will be dictated by how much development and improvement existing players can make in one offseason and we land a few difference makers with our small amount of open scholarships. My guess is that 2020 is a building year.
After losing 13 seniors, 2 zero impact transfers and 2 NFL draft picks, 2020 better not be a building year. 2020 is the type of upperclassmen heavy year that you build for.
Hope you are correct. This team did not play well in a number of games and it is the same cast returning. We need new blood and don't have scholarships open to bring in enough new talent.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 4:19 pm
brownjeans wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 3:11 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 9:50 am
Serious question: how much of this is due to Matt Wells leaving the cupboard bare and how much of this is due to current coaching?
I feel like the offense was thin - but we knew that before the season started.
IMO if there are comments being made about the players not being strong enough or the talent not being there, it's a deflection of responsibility - especially if it's directed toward the defense. The defense was mostly the same players as last year and last year they played well.
Some of the defensive players lost from last season.
1. Woody leading tackler from last season out by injury
2. Christiansen 2nd leader in tackles
3. Ferguson 3rd leader in tackles
4. Rocquemore 4th leader in tackles
5. Wade 6th leader in tackles
6. Suli 8th leader in tackles
7. Fua 9th in tackles out injury.
So, mostly the same defense as last year except 7 out of the top 9 tacklers.
Don't forget Ingram leaving about a month before the season started
Not exactly, as noted above both Woody and Fua were both on the team this season. Even with Ingram leaving, we returned 7 starters from the 2018 defense. Yet the coaching staff chose to change the defense in the Spring and that decision required some of our best returning players, and the depth behind those players, to play in new roles. These roles did not play to their strengths, but exposed weaknesses. The change required key returning players to stay healthy (they didn't). The coaches felt they had the horses and depth that would make this change successful.

On Offense we returned 2 starters and chose to keep the offense the same.

I'm not interested in hashing out the faults of this past season, but IMO these two decisions, while made with the best of intentions, were mistakes.

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » December 27th, 2019, 9:31 pm

I will be absolutely shocked if we get 6 wins next year. Rebuilding year big time. This program doesn’t have a lot of talent right now and another brutal schedule.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 27th, 2019, 10:57 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:
Serious question: how much of this is due to Matt Wells leaving the cupboard bare and how much of this is due to current coaching?
IMO if there are comments being made about the players not being strong enough or the talent not being there, it's a deflection of responsibility - especially if it's directed toward the defense. The defense was mostly the same players as last year and last year they played well.
Not exactly, as noted above both Woody and Fua were both on the team this season. Even with Ingram leaving, we returned 7 starters from the 2018 defense. Yet the coaching staff chose to change the defense in the Spring and that decision required some of our best returning players, and the depth behind those players, to play in new roles. These roles did not play to their strengths, but exposed weaknesses. The change required key returning players to stay healthy (they didn't). The coaches felt they had the horses and depth that would make this change successful.

I'm not interested in hashing out the faults of this past season, but IMO these two decisions, while made with the best of intentions, were mistakes.
Fua played half a game. You’re not being honest in saying he “was on the team this season”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 28th, 2019, 12:06 am

2004AG wrote:
December 27th, 2019, 10:57 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

Fua played half a game. You’re not being honest in saying he “was on the team this season”
These are the two things being discussed in the above quoted posts: Did we struggle because Wells left the cupboard bare or was there coaching issues?

In the context of those two questions, I'm saying we had 7 returning starters on defense including Fua and Woodward and the coaches made a decision to change the D. So I don't think you can say Wells left the cupboard bare on D. We didn't lose an unnatural amount of starters, or production to graduation. What we lost would be normal for most years. That can't be said for the offensive side of the ball - losing 9 starters is extreme.

The coaches made a decision to change the D in the spring and I think that was a mistake. The coaches felt the had the depth and personnel to make that work well. It didn't turn out that way. I can't say that our D would have been better had we stayed with the old defense - I don't think we can know that. But I do think many players were asked to do things they aren't built to do and that caused some problems.
Last edited by brownjeans on December 28th, 2019, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 28th, 2019, 12:43 am

Maybe the problem is that we thought too much of our team before the season began. It seemed we had expectations that ended up not being factual. I remember all the chatter about the defense being really good. Now you are telling me we lost most of our top tacklers. I think we didn’t really understand how much we lost from last year.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 4):
BustaMcNuttbrownjeansBearLakeMonsteroleblu111

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 28th, 2019, 12:47 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 12:43 am
Maybe the problem is that we thought too much of our team before the season began. It seemed we had expectations that ended up not being factual. I remember all the chatter about the defense being really good. Now you are telling me we lost most of our top tacklers. I think we didn’t really understand how much we lost from last year.
I totally agree.
Most the pre-season press predicted we'd struggle this season. Most around here dismissed the press evaluations. Turns out they were much more right than we were.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 28th, 2019, 6:55 am

My expectations had been eight regular season wins. Seven was merely disappointing. It was the failure to show up in three games against teams USU should be able to compete against that's the problem.

The details aren't really all that interesting.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 28th, 2019, 8:51 am

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

Fua played half a game. You’re not being honest in saying he “was on the team this season”
These are the two things being discussed in the above quoted posts: Did we struggle because Wells left the cupboard bare or was there coaching issues?

In the context of those two questions, I'm saying we had 7 returning starters on defense including Fua and Woodward and the coaches made a decision to change the D. So I don't think you can say Wells left the cupboard bare on D. We didn't lose an unnatural amount of starters, or production to graduation. What we lost would be normal for most years. That can't be said for the offensive side of the ball - losing 9 starters is extreme.

The coaches made a decision to change the D in the spring and I think that was a mistake. The coaches felt the had the depth and personnel to make that work well. It didn't turn out that way. I can't say that our D would have been better had we stayed with the old defense - I don't think we can know that. But I do think many players were asked to do things they aren't built to do and that caused some problems.
And yet......

Still doesn’t change the fact that The current coaching staff never had Fua.

They barely had Woodward. Losing an all American isn’t the same as losing a regular starting player.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
oleblu111

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 28th, 2019, 9:50 am

USU78 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 6:55 am
My expectations had been eight regular season wins. Seven was merely disappointing. It was the failure to show up in three games against teams USU should be able to compete against that's the problem.

78, you're on to something here. Not showing up for AFA, BYU or Boise was an indictment of our readiness to play. Just where to lay the blame is another story that may not be soon understood. The 2019 season is history and we need to learn from it.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 28th, 2019, 11:04 am

Let me say that for me the jury is still out on some coach's. The secondary tackling was just bad, and that must be addressed, it was in part do to a lack of toughness, that must change. The lack of speed at linebacker is a real problem.

I do not know how good the strength and conditioning staff is I shall see by next season. The numbers I saw were not where they need to be.

The Offense is going to need some quality receivers that so far I have net seen, a possession receiver is needed, so that is a concern. O line should be much better, Running backs must hold on to the rock better, I do not believe we will be nearly as good at Q.B. as last season however I hope that O line experience will help a lot. The field goal kicking most likely will take a dip.

I can not say how we will do next season because it will depend on recruiting, and how good some of the Red shirt kids preform.

The thing I love about college football is the changes with players replacements with graduation, and the kids that step out of nowhere that just shine, 2 star guys like Zack, Bobby, Woody, Turbo, Looking forward to next season.

The losses to AFA a team with 11 wins 2 over P-5 schools. Boise a team with 12 wins. are very easy to understand they were a hell of a lot better than us, YBU is a hard one however they are a physical bunch, and instate games can be very hard, but easy to get caught up in.Beating them 3 years in a row will be very hard to do.

Go Aggies
Last edited by oleblu111 on December 28th, 2019, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 28th, 2019, 11:30 am

USU78 wrote:

The blow out losses to AFA which won 11 games this season including 2 over P-5 schools, BSU won 12 games this season so I do not see us not being able to compete with as all that hard to understand at least for this season YBU was bad loss, however beating them 3 years in a row means you have beaten a school with much more than what you have that will always be a tough one.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 28th, 2019, 11:30 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 11:04 am
Let me say that for me the jury is still out on some coach's. The secondary tackling was just bad, and that must be addressed, it was in part do to a lack of toughness, that must change. The lack of speed at linebacker is a real problem.

I do not know how good the strength and conditioning staff is I shall see by next season. The numbers I saw were not were they need to be.

The Offense is going to need some quality receivers that so far I have net seen, a possession receiver is needed, so that is a concern. O line should be much better, Running backs must hold on to the rock better, I do not believe we will be nearly as good at Q.B. as last season however I hope that O line experience will help a lot. The field goal kicking most likely will take a dip.

I can not say how we will do next season because it will depend on recruiting, and how good some of the Red shirt kids preform.

The thing I love about college football is the changes with players replacements with graduation, and the kids that step out of nowhere that just shine, 2 star guys like Zack, Bobby, Woody, Turbo, Looking forward to next season.

The losses to AFA a team with 11 wins 2 over P-5 schools. Boise a team with 12 wins. are very easy to understand they were a hell of a lot better than us, YBU is a hard one however they are a physical bunch, and instate games can be very hard, but easy to get caught up in.Beating them 3 years in a row will be very hard to do.

Go Aggies
AFA and Boise were both way better than us in every way. Getting blown out was bad but not surprising given their personnel vs ours.

Phil Steele has us one of the bottom five in experience returning, which is a key predictor for how a team will perform. That plus injuries/transfers to our best player at each defensive position group spelled trouble.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
oleblu111

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 28th, 2019, 1:17 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 8:51 am
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Aggieiester wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

And yet......

Still doesn’t change the fact that The current coaching staff never had Fua.

They barely had Woodward. Losing an all American isn’t the same as losing a regular starting player.
an anecdotal distinction with no relevance to the two questions being addressed.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 28th, 2019, 4:14 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 11:30 am
USU78 wrote:

The blow out losses to AFA which won 11 games this season including 2 over P-5 schools, BSU won 12 games this season so I do not see us not being able to compete with as all that hard to understand at least for this season YBU was bad loss, however beating them 3 years in a row means you have beaten a school with much more than what you have that will always be a tough one.
Losing to ten or eleven win teams is nothing. Lying down is never acceptable.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 28th, 2019, 4:39 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:14 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

They were 11 and 12 win teams. I do not know how you know they were lying down, perhaps they got knocked down by better teams.. Schools can have off days when playing people that are much better. They di lack toughness in the secondary for sure.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 28th, 2019, 6:12 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 4:39 pm
USU78 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

They were 11 and 12 win teams. I do not know how you know they were lying down, perhaps they got knocked down by better teams.. Schools can have off days when playing people that are much better. They di lack toughness in the secondary for sure.
On that last we certainly agree

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 29th, 2019, 8:28 am

USU78 wrote:

HUGE 78, just a HUGE post. The underperforming failures were so absolute and the lack of execution so obvious in those three games I just have to wonder what went on internally with this team and the staff.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 29th, 2019, 11:00 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 8:28 am
USU78 wrote:

HUGE 78, just a HUGE post. The underperforming failures were so absolute and the lack of execution so obvious in those three games I just have to wonder what went on internally with this team and the staff.
Do you just think that maybe they played schools with better players in those 3 games, or was the problem not existing when
they played other teams ? You are looking for internal problems on a team that lost games with schools with 11 and 12 win seasons.. Last years team lost to BSU, and AFA returned almost their entire team

I can see getting upset with the lack of toughness with Kent State, but losing to AFA, BSU, and BYU was because those teams were better.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 29th, 2019, 2:48 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 11:00 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Do you just think that maybe they played schools with better players in those 3 games, or was the problem not existing when
they played other teams ? You are looking for internal problems on a team that lost games with schools with 11 and 12 win seasons.. Last years team lost to BSU, and AFA returned almost their entire team

I can see getting upset with the lack of toughness with Kent State, but losing to AFA, BSU, and BYU was because those teams were better.
AFA, BYU and BSU are our peers. Losing is one thing but getting completely manhandled by them is the problem.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 30th, 2019, 2:02 am

oleblu111 wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 11:00 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:

We didn't just lose to BYU, AFA, or New Mexico. Nearly every conference mate we beat played those teams tougher. New Mexico gave BSU more of a game than the Aggies did and the Aggies were playing at home. BYU sucked! They got beat by some terrible teams. We crushed them the last two years. Granted our offense only stopped themselves in that game but the defense in all 3 of those games just laid down. They got schooled by AFA but played them well enough to create a lot of 3rd and longs where AFA sucks against everyone else. They just casually pitched it outside every time and the Aggies couldn't even stop 3rd and long against the frickin Falcons.

Against the Zoobs the same pattern played itself over and over again. Our ends never contained and got held inside. Our LBs were too slow to get to anyone going outside. Nobody played disciplined. Nobody seemed to care. Tackling technique was pee wee level.

Against Boise the defense was demoralized and lackluster from the 1st series when the Boise QB had 30 seconds it seemed to throw and then casually jogged for a 1st down. D line wasn't engaged or even attempting pass rush moves which is the first sign of apathy on a D. Just going through the motions. Boise was pulling the heck out of us all game long and no tackle ever followed his pulling guard to the play. And USU was playing for a division title!!!

AFA had a good team. Excellent disciplined blockers particularly the receivers on the outside. But what they did to the Aggies was laughable. The Zoobs were not good and are not more talented than USU and haven't been for 4-5 years. The donks were challenged by a lot of teams in the MW. Wyoming absolutely self destructed at the end and should have beat them on the blue turf. They were very overrated. Yes they were better than USU but not by much.

Yes the D was short handed but Ena caused a sufficient amount of that as we have discussed ad nauseum. Clearly they were not prepared and motivated and did not have any pride in performing their assignments in those games. I don't know why they were so demoralized and apathetic in the two most important conference games of the year. I don't know why they game out so flat against their oldest rival. I just could see something was very wrong.

I cite the defense because I think the offense's problems were different. They played hard but had real limitations with the O line injuries, new receivers, and a coordinator who refused almost poutingly to try to intervene with formation and play variations to use Love's talents. Love made some huge mistakes in those games too.

But the defense...
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 3):
USU78NavyBlueAggieaggieman2828

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2019, 11:27 am

Teams have games that they do not match up well against, playing a hurry up offense with AFA is just dumb. How do we explain the victory over SDS, or Wyoming. Teams that are young tend to not play consistent every game.

I believe I said that I hoped for a 6 win season this last year, given the schedule, new staff, and experience. We lacked talent, and need to get much stronger in the off season.

Saying that BSU and BYU are peer schools is interesting to me given the level of support they have, and what we have

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 30th, 2019, 1:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Probably just had to look at the scoreboard.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2019, 1:14 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 1:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
USU78 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
USU78 wrote:

Probably just had to look at the scoreboard.

Perhaps just understand those teams had much better players just might be the answer. There are match up's that make each game different, playing that hurry up offense is a killer when the other school has a better offense than what you do, games can get away in a hurry with that.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 30th, 2019, 2:32 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 11:27 am
Teams have games that they do not match up well against, playing a hurry up offense with AFA is just dumb. How do we explain the victory over SDS, or Wyoming. Teams that are young tend to not play consistent every game.

I believe I said that I hoped for a 6 win season this last year, given the schedule, new staff, and experience. We lacked talent, and need to get much stronger in the off season.

Saying that BSU and BYU are peer schools is interesting to me given the level of support they have, and what we have
If they aren't our peers, should we drop down to FCS? Or should they be P5?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 30th, 2019, 3:59 pm

BYU does not have better players than us.

Air Force is not a team that will ever have more than a handful of better players than us.

Boise has better players than us at almost every position.

These are our peers and we should never get blown out four times in a season.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2019, 4:15 pm

BYU has good players on both lines, better than what we had

AFA had a 11 win season they had better more experienced player than us.

BSU is a much bigger and better program.

Guys we have the smallest D-1 stadium in the West, we drew last than 19,000 with last seasons team, and less than 20,000 with this team despite home games with BYU and BSU. If being in the same conference means you are a peer then OK, but Vanderbilt is in the SEC It takes a little more than a conference membership to become a peer Maybe with AFA, but with BSU and BYU well not really. What is the record over the last 10 years with BYU, and BSU ?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 4:15 pm

Guys we have the smallest D-1 stadium in the West, we drew last than 19,000 with last seasons team, and less than 20,000 with this team despite home games with BYU and BSU. If being in the same conference means you are a peer then OK, but Vanderbilt is in the SEC It takes a little more than a conference membership to become a peer Maybe with AFA, but with BSU and BYU well not really. What is the record over the last 10 years with BYU, and BSU ?
BYU 4-6, I'd say in the last decade, we're peers. 1-9 against Boise, not peers.

Go Aggies!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:13 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Since BYU went indy they have slipped also they are not that well coached IMHO,, but in every measurable they have much more than what we do. I believe they have the largest budget of any non P-5 school. I do not know how many neutral Observer's would believe USU is a peer with YBU, of course you and I think we are better, because of there being who they are

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 30th, 2019, 5:52 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Since BYU went indy they have slipped also they are not that well coached IMHO,, but in every measurable they have much more than what we do. I believe they have the largest budget of any non P-5 school. I do not know how many neutral Observer's would believe USU is a peer with YBU, of course you and I think we are better, because of there being who they are
Our opinion is the only one that matters anyway 😉

Go Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 30th, 2019, 5:54 pm

It's easy to blame failures on players not being good enough. It's harder to make adjustments, develop and teach players - but that's the job.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2019, 5:59 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:54 pm
It's easy to blame failures on players not being good enough. It's harder to make adjustments, develop and teach players - but that's the job.
Or to fund the program for better coach's

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 30th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:52 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Our opinion is the only one that matters anyway 😉

I agree our opinions are the only ones that matter, however opinions are like butt holes everyone has one

bull

Post by bull » December 30th, 2019, 8:21 pm

I could be wrong but I think if we had some lock down corners it would change the whole dynamic of the defense.

I am firmly in the “we have the talent” camp - we played LSU better than several big name schools, the 2019 team got progressively worse as the season went on, and Tipa’s results were much worse. So, unless athletic ability was magically sucked away, the team’s shortcomings were a product of motivation, technique, scheme, strategy, and opportunity.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 30th, 2019, 8:48 pm

oleblu111 wrote:BYU has good players on both lines, better than what we had

Can we dust off the moderator-assigned avatar to tag this guy for the anti-USU troll he is? All I ever hear from oleblue is how horrible Logan is and how pathetic our fanbase is and how our players and coaches are no good. I get that we have our limitations, and he's not wrong in some of what he says. But...come. on. Give the anti-USU spiel a rest...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author ShowMeAggie for the post:
tipitup

Locked Previous topicNext topic