Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Jordan Love & Gerold Bright busted for smoking weed

Post by brownjeans » December 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Legal in some states, illegal in the United States.
Let's put aside the weed politics, shall we?

Let's say a team has a rule that says if you do X you're punished (who cares what X is). The coaches talk about the rule, reinforce the importance of it, etc.
Then a few players do X. Even if X isn't a big deal, the fact that they knew it was wrong and did it anyway, that's incredibly selfish and there should be a consequence.
Last edited by brownjeans on December 17th, 2019, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm

First, in a vacuum, I don't really care if someone smokes weed.

Second, regardless of how stupid the law may be, it is currently illegal, and against team rules.

This was a stupid decision with incredibly bad timing. Don't blame the cops for enforcing the law as written.
Should they be held out of the bowl game? I don't know, but I feel like there should be some consequences for violating the law and breaking team rules. Especially if you are the leaders of the team.

Will NFL scouts care? They might. All around just a stupid decision.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 3):
bluegrouseAngusAgLarryTheAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 17th, 2019, 2:04 pm

It's only a stupid decision if it actually happened. Let the case run its course, and lets see if the facts back it up. Until then, they are innocent.

(Even if guilty, it's still not that stupid. There are worse things in the world).
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Dwigt wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:58 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:33 pm
Ask Don Nelson about the side effects from smoking weed.

Becoming the chillest dude alive.
Willie just gave it up...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 604719001/

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 17th, 2019, 2:09 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm
The guy just finished finals week (and I think is graduating). Cache Valley is awful in its enforcement. It's not even the officers (the worst ones "retired" from North Logan/Hyde Park Police..) Mostly it's the politicians (Judge Marx)

I like Captain Budge, I honestly don't think he cares if college students are smoking weed in an apartment after finals. But the politics of this valley really ruin our reputation.

Marijuana laws should be used to go after kingpins and cartels- not this. This zero tolerance policy is not intelligent.
Unfortunately, Captain Budge has retired.
I didn't know that. Unfortunate for Logan for sure. Hopefully he is enjoying retirement (or is collecting retirement and making bank in the private sector)

Captain Budge is legitimately a good man. He is one of those "model police officers"
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
crazywookie

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » December 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Dwigt wrote:
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

He gave up smoking it, not using it.
I would suggest to the football team, and anyone else for that matter, if they are going to use it to follow Willie’s example.
These users thanked the author Dwigt for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » December 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:25 pm
Whatever your options are about marijuana the fact remains that it is illegal in Utah. Spare me the argument that it doesn’t matter because it’s legal in other states.

Yes, they are college kids, but that also doesn’t excuse this. I expect kids in our program to have better judgement. Especially leaders like Love and Bright.

I hope GA keeps them out of the bowl game. Expectations and consequences are more important for the future success of our program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's against the law to go 11 mph over the speed limit also. Would you advocate keeping them out of the bowl game for getting a speeding ticket too?
If speeding was against teams rules, yes. Sounds like (per post from Tania) GA and staff have a line drawn but a first occurrence wouldn’t rule them out from playing.

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:09 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm
The guy just finished finals week (and I think is graduating). Cache Valley is awful in its enforcement. It's not even the officers (the worst ones "retired" from North Logan/Hyde Park Police..) Mostly it's the politicians (Judge Marx)

I like Captain Budge, I honestly don't think he cares if college students are smoking weed in an apartment after finals. But the politics of this valley really ruin our reputation.

Marijuana laws should be used to go after kingpins and cartels- not this. This zero tolerance policy is not intelligent.
Unfortunately, Captain Budge has retired.
I didn't know that. Unfortunate for Logan for sure. Hopefully he is enjoying retirement (or is collecting retirement and making bank in the private sector)

Captain Budge is legitimately a good man. He is one of those "model police officers"
He says he’s starting to like people again...😂😂😂

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 17th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Dwigt wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:11 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Dwigt wrote:
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

He gave up smoking it, not using it.
I would suggest to the football team, and anyone else for that matter, if they are going to use it to follow Willie’s example.
Very good point...

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 17th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Does anyone know if they actually inhaled?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 17th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I appear to be in the vast minority, but I hope they don't play in the bowl game. I think this is reflective of our undisciplined team this year where our governing mantra seems to be "just love the kids." It was stupid and selfish. Flame away. I lost some respect for them.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post:
Ahbye

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 17th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:12 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:06 pm
Let he who is perfect cast the first stone. I certainly will be at the back of that line.
It’s easier to hit people in the back Of the head with stones when they aren’t looking.
Good point that is exactly how are society is. Sit in the back and throw stones because everyone believes their poo doesn't stink.
I meant I’ll be in the back of the line with you but I’ll be chucking stones at those in the front throwing judgmental stones.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 17th, 2019, 2:33 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 1:40 pm
I think most of you are missing the point. The point isn't that alcohol is worse or smoking a joint is no big deal and laws need to change. All those things can be true, AND at the same time, acknowledge they used poor judgement. And as long as those rules exist, as stupid as they may be, are in place, they should be followed.
Yeah it is about team rules. I support cannabis legalization and expect it to be legal across the country by the end of the 2020's, but if using cannabis breaks team and university rules, then it isn't something to brush off.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 11:20 am
Will they get to play in the bowl now?

I hate how Marijuana is such an indictment, but in the very next state over it's not even illegal. I'm sure this officer was super giddy about making this bust. So stupid.

http://www.cachevalleydaily.com/news/ar ... fkbi-hKiUl

I would think they they get to play in the bowl game as these three (3) players (charged only and not convicted) made the Frisco Bowl trip yesterday. We can hope for common bulldog sense from our coaching staff, and Gary Andersen in particular. When you have a hammer every thumb tack looks like a nail.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 17th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
Whatever your options are about marijuana the fact remains that it is illegal in Utah. Spare me the argument that it doesn’t matter because it’s legal in other states.

Yes, they are college kids, but that also doesn’t excuse this. I expect kids in our program to have better judgement. Especially leaders like Love and Bright.

I hope GA keeps them out of the bowl game. Expectations and consequences are more important for the future success of our program.

It's against the law to go 11 mph over the speed limit also. Would you advocate keeping them out of the bowl game for getting a speeding ticket too?
If speeding was against teams rules, yes. Sounds like (per post from Tania) GA and staff have a line drawn but a first occurrence wouldn’t rule them out from playing.

Speeding is also not a Class B misdemeanor.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 17th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:01 pm
First, in a vacuum, I don't really care if someone smokes weed.

Second, regardless of how stupid the law may be, it is currently illegal, and against team rules.

This was a stupid decision with incredibly bad timing. Don't blame the cops for enforcing the law as written.
Should they be held out of the bowl game? I don't know, but I feel like there should be some consequences for violating the law and breaking team rules. Especially if you are the leaders of the team.

Will NFL scouts care? They might. All around just a stupid decision.
If only they would have learned from Roach.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 17th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 2:50 pm
Cheecho6 wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Speeding is also not a Class B misdemeanor.
And speeding is not legal in the 2 neighboring states, while weed fully is. So I guess we should let them speed in Utah on their way out to Nevada or Colorado, where they can then smoke it legally? That'd be ok I guess

Good thing is GA gets to use common sense, just like Stew did with several basketball players in the past

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

On the front page of NCAAF on ESPN....not good publicity at all! Hopefully people don't think of him as the druggy because I bet he has done less than lots of guys in the draft.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -cited-pot

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:09 pm

As someone who smoked a fair bit of weed as a young man, I just get frustrated when people try to act like there's absolutely nothing questionable about the act and try to compare it to something like speeding.

I can 100% speak from experience that you have a significantly higher chance of doing something stupid that could harm yourself or others when you are smoking pot. Speeding doesn't effect your mental state. If you want to compare it to texting and driving that's a more fair comparison.

I can see how GA would justify playing them or not playing them, and I certainly am not going to condemn them for the act, but I've got no judgement to pass on those that say smoking weed is stupid and would support them missing the game.
These users thanked the author CanuckAggie for the post (total 3):
NVAggieAhbyeTrueBlueFan

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 17th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 12:39 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Meh. These guys just finished up finals and their college careers. They’ve put in so much work and taken a beating on their bodies for the Aggies.

Let them have a few celebratory puffs at the end of great careers. I won’t come down on them for it.
Regardless of how you feel about the drug, if it’s a team rule to not do it and they broke team rules does that change your opinion about whether or not they should play? No player(s) should be bigger than the program.

That's the best point I've seen made. We need to think about the precedence this sets for the program. I think one of the biggest issues we've had all year on this team has been placing too much emphasis on individuals over the team. This news today showing 2 team leaders making selfish decisions punctuates the underlying theme of this season.

I get it, marijuana is now equated with alcohol across the nation. But it is still illegal in most states so people should be smarter. Also, as a medical provider I can tell you that marijuana is not as innocent as many what to portray it.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm

aggies22 wrote:
I'm starting to hear there is less to this story than what is being reported. Expect this to end up being fought in court.
I guess we're all just going to ignore this...? One of the few people on this board with good sources and I haven't even seen much of a response to this post.

This is the problem with assuming that everyone is guilty from the get go. Let's wait until we have some actual facts before we "lose respect" for these players. Love and Bright at the very least have earned that much right?
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm
aggies22 wrote:
I'm starting to hear there is less to this story than what is being reported. Expect this to end up being fought in court.
I guess we're all just going to ignore this...? One of the few people on this board with good sources and I haven't even seen much of a response to this post.

This is the problem with assuming that everyone is guilty from the get go. Let's wait until we have some actual facts before we "lose respect" for these players. Love and Bright at the very least have earned that much right?
I wish this was the case but it is already all over espn and internet. People are going to label him which stinks for him and his legacy and future career.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » December 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:15 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

I wish this was the case but it is already all over espn and internet. People are going to label him which stinks for him and his legacy and future career.
And I get that, I really do. Which sucks. We don't need to pile on though on this forum (not saying that you were).

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm

CanuckAggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:09 pm
As someone who smoked a fair bit of weed as a young man, I just get frustrated when people try to act like there's absolutely nothing questionable about the act and try to compare it to something like speeding.

I can 100% speak from experience that you have a significantly higher chance of doing something stupid that could harm yourself or others when you are smoking pot. Speeding doesn't effect your mental state. If you want to compare it to texting and driving that's a more fair comparison.

I can see how GA would justify playing them or not playing them, and I certainly am not going to condemn them for the act, but I've got no judgement to pass on those that say smoking weed is stupid and would support them missing the game.
Speeding has killed a lot more people than weed. Not to mention you're endangering the lives of others. Hope no one here ever goes too far above the legal speed limit set by the state
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:23 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

And I get that, I really do. Which sucks. We don't need to pile on though on this forum (not saying that you were).
Yes I agree! I can tell you right now it has not changed how I feel about the young man one bit! I love all he has done and believe he is a great guy. Just a dumb decision. Plus, happens more frequently and it was pretty minor, so hopefully clears up fast and people move on.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

If the NFL values his talent this will not effect his NFL career one bit.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

This will be adjudicated and over with before the NFL combine. By that time Jordan will be able to answer any naysayers by telling them he wasn't involved.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 17th, 2019, 3:25 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Who is going to label him, and as what? Legalizing weed is probably the most universally agreed upon "political" topic in the US today, something like 70% of the population believes it should be legal. If anything, the story gives the state of Utah a bad rep for future recruits (and professional athletes for the Jazz). Should I go play for the Nuggets or Colorado State, or go somewhere where they're going to give me a citation and plaster me on ESPN for doing something 70% of the country thinks should be legal?
Last edited by MetsJetsAggies on December 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2019, 3:26 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:24 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

If the NFL values his talent this will not effect his NFL career one bit.
Hammer meet nail! If it means a team believes that this kid can turn around their team, they won't pass on him in fear of someone else picking him up (which will happen).

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:25 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Who is going to label him, and as what? Legalizing weed is probably the most universally agreed upon "political" topic in the US today, something like 70% of the population believes it should be legal. If anything, the story gives the state of Utah a bad rep for future recruits (and professional athletes for the Jazz). Should I go play for the Nuggets or Colorado State, or go somewhere where they're going to give me a citation and plaster me on ESPN for doing something 70% of the country thinks should be legal?
Yeah, it's so weird that the local Utah sports web page, ESPN, would even make a story of this non-issue. I'm just glad there are no national sport media outlets who might think this is newsworthy. So embarrassing for Utah.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm

AgMac wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Yeah, it's so weird that the local Utah sports web page, ESPN, would even make a story of this non-issue. I'm just glad there are no national sport media outlets who might think this is newsworthy. So embarrassing for Utah.
Are you serious? I saw this story on Yahoo hours ago. I haven't even bothered looking anywhere else.
Last edited by aggies22 on December 17th, 2019, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Who is going to label him, and as what? Legalizing weed is probably the most universally agreed upon "political" topic in the US today, something like 73% of the population believes it should be legal. If anything, the story gives the state of Utah a bad rep for future recruits (and professional athletes for the Jazz). Should I go play for the Nuggets or Colorado State, or go somewhere where they're going to give me a citation and plaster me on ESPN for doing something 73% of the country thinks should be legal?
z

We're sure jumping the gun here. These guys were in an apartment where weed may have been smoked by somebody. They always charge everyone and then ask questions later. A football player who uses cannibas rather than narcotics for pain is lot more responsible in my mind regardless of the legality but that's beside the point.

This is not the time to discipline your team's hardest working senior and best ever QB with a suspension. Make them do some bear crawls and be done with it.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:35 pm

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Hail Aggies!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 17th, 2019, 3:38 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:

Who is going to label him, and as what? Legalizing weed is probably the most universally agreed upon "political" topic in the US today, something like 73% of the population believes it should be legal. If anything, the story gives the state of Utah a bad rep for future recruits (and professional athletes for the Jazz). Should I go play for the Nuggets or Colorado State, or go somewhere where they're going to give me a citation and plaster me on ESPN for doing something 73% of the country thinks should be legal?
z

We're sure jumping the gun here. These guys were in an apartment where weed may have been smoked by somebody. They always charge everyone and then ask questions later. A football player who uses cannibas rather than narcotics for pain is lot more responsible in my mind regardless of the legality but that's beside the point.

This is not the time to discipline your team's hardest working senior and best ever QB with a suspension. Make them do some bear crawls and be done with it. I do wonder what Jordan had been smoking in the Zoob game though. Whatever it was made the OLB disappear twice before he picked him off.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Here's my breakdown of the linked report:

Someone called the police telling them USU athletes were smoking pot. Cops arrive at apartment building and smell pot. They smell it stronger coming from a specific apartment room. They get into the apartment and find 6 people in there. Then they find a 7th person. They determine pot was consumed in apartment. The press charges. Athletes cooperate.

Did they even find pot? Seems like they're being charged on a stool pigeon (what are we, BYU?) and the cops sense of smell. I'm sure there's more to it than that, and maybe that's enough to charge, but as others have said, innocent until proven guilty.

I remember a similar story involving Robert Turbin when he was present in a car that smelled like Pot. Charges were dropped and he was determined to be innocent. I'm expecting something similar here.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
MachismoMetsJetsAggiesvegasaggieFullAggie_in_Idaho

Locked Previous topicNext topic