Hearing Conflicting Facts

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thetrueaggie

Hearing Conflicting Facts

Post by thetrueaggie » December 11th, 2019, 9:56 am

Question: Once a player declares for the NFL draft, can they withdraw if they don't hire an agent, don't get a good draft grade, etc.? Obviously you're allowed to test the waters in the NBA but I've read different "facts" on how it works in the NFL. The way I have read and understood the rule is you basically have 72 hours to change your mind but not sure if this is right.

FloridaAggie13

Re: Hearing Conflicting Facts

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 11th, 2019, 10:51 am

thetrueaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 9:56 am
Question: Once a player declares for the NFL draft, can they withdraw if they don't hire an agent, don't get a good draft grade, etc.? Obviously you're allowed to test the waters in the NBA but I've read different "facts" on how it works in the NFL. The way I have read and understood the rule is you basically have 72 hours to change your mind but not sure if this is right.
As I understand, in football, if the player declares for the NFL draft then he isn't allowed to play college football anymore - regardless of the agent thing or his projected draft status. Most declare after the bowl season, unless it is one of the blue chippers jockeying for positioning in the top 10.

I'm not sure if Love's twitter "declaration" is an official declaration - again, as I understand an official declaration (signing papers) means he's done right NOW - and may be a strategical move to let the NFL know his intentions so all thirty teams will be in Texas on the 20th.

I imagine '22 has the official insight to this however.

IBleedAggieBlue

Post by IBleedAggieBlue » December 11th, 2019, 11:41 am

I heard is agent is from State Farm.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2019, 11:44 am

It is official. His scholarship is no longer and cannot get it back. But he is leaving with a degree
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 6):
BadElbowhipsterdoofus21USU78usufan1Aggie_in_IdahoAggieFBObsession

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Great job Jordan! I hope he does well and realizes his dream. It's very exciting, and he's been a great Aggie!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
Machismo

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 11:44 am
It is official. His scholarship is no longer and cannot get it back. But he is leaving with a degree
Glad to hear that, IMO this is the most important.
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
AggieFBObsession

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 10:51 am
thetrueaggie wrote:
As I understand, in football, if the player declares for the NFL draft then he isn't allowed to play college football anymore - regardless of the agent thing or his projected draft status. Most declare after the bowl season, unless it is one of the blue chippers jockeying for positioning in the top 10.

I'm not sure if Love's twitter "declaration" is an official declaration - again, as I understand an official declaration (signing papers) means he's done right NOW - and may be a strategical move to let the NFL know his intentions so all thirty teams will be in Texas on the 20th.

Yes it's true Jordan is officially done. What I'm hearing is that he has met several times with Rep 1. Keep in mind he has not signed anything or taken anything from an agent otherwise that would jeopardize his remaining eligibility. Rep 1 boasts a roster that includes Ben Rothlisberger, Blake Bortles, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Marcus Mariota and Mitchell Trubisky. They expect Jordan to be the second or third QB off the board.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
BLUERUFiOBadElbowFloridaAggie13USU78sneedflying_scotsman2.0UtahStizzle

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 11th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I am excited for Jordan to take the next step. I hope he ends up on a decent team where he can sit for a year or two and then take the league by storm. I think it is awesome that he has worked so hard to be in this position.

While I have been frustrated with this season as much as I have been with any other season, little of that has to do with Love. Last season is one of the best I’ve ever experienced and that was due in large part to Jordan Love. He will forever be one of my favorite Aggies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » December 11th, 2019, 12:27 pm

Grateful for Jordan's contribution and hard work in all aspects of his Aggie career. Wish him well. Hope he lands in a stable spot with competent leadership and coaching.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 11th, 2019, 12:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 12:17 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 10:51 am
thetrueaggie wrote:

Yes it's true Jordan is officially done. What I'm hearing is that he has met several times with Rep 1. Keep in mind he has not signed anything or taken anything from an agent otherwise that would jeopardize his remaining eligibility. Rep 1 boasts a roster that includes Ben Rothlisberger, Blake Bortles, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, Marcus Mariota and Mitchell Trubisky. They expect Jordan to be the second or third QB off the board.

I think he should hold out for different representation. That's a shaky list of prospects.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm

All went in the first round and got paid. The agency did their job the rest is up to the player.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 6):
Aggie19aggies22Winning TeamWillCut723rdGenAggieflying_scotsman2.0

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » December 11th, 2019, 12:55 pm

posted this in the other thread, but CBSSports' most recent mock has JL going at 14 to the Raiders!
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... edee-lamb/
It'd be awesome for our program and even better for Jordan and his family if it were to play out anything like that!
What a Cinderella story that would be, considering all the hardships he and his family have been through!
Pulling for him...hard!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2019, 1:09 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Does this mean that Love is no longer available to play in the bowl game? I hope he is as it would be great to see him go off with a nice victory in the bowl game. So happy he finished his degree. In my mind there is literally no benefit to him coming back for his senior year. Proud to see him have success and get everything completed with his schooling.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 1:17 pm

brian5562 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm
All went in the first round and got paid. The agency did their job the rest is up to the player.
We have a winner!!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 1:09 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Does this mean that Love is no longer available to play in the bowl game? I hope he is as it would be great to see him go off with a nice victory in the bowl game. So happy he finished his degree. In my mind there is literally no benefit to him coming back for his senior year. Proud to see him have success and get everything completed with his schooling.
He is playing in the bowl as he stated in his announcement. He is receiving his Bachelor’s in Exercise Science this month. & will possibly receive a Sr Bowl invite. After all of that - he will start training and wait to see if he receives a combine invite. If not, he has simply made himself available to be drafted
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
MadmartiganAggie_in_IdahoUSU78

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 11th, 2019, 3:48 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
He is playing in the bowl as he stated in his announcement. He is receiving his Bachelor’s in Exercise Science this month. & will possibly receive a Sr Bowl invite. After all of that - he will start training and wait to see if he receives a combine invite. If not, he has simply made himself available to be drafted
He'll go to the senior bowl and get a combine invite. Kid isn't making it out of the first round.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22WillCut72sneed

WillCut72

Post by WillCut72 » December 11th, 2019, 4:27 pm

The NFL's process is similar to the NBA's in that the prospect can "test the waters" to a certain extent by getting an evaluation from the NFL's College Advisory Committee before they decide to enter the draft. Their only grades are potential first, potential second, or neither, so it's pretty likely he got a potential first grade from the CAC. FWIW, the CAC has an 85% accuracy on first-round projections since 2010 so I'd put good money on Jordan going Round 1.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 12:55 pm
posted this in the other thread, but CBSSports' most recent mock has JL going at 14 to the Raiders!
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... edee-lamb/
It'd be awesome for our program and even better for Jordan and his family if it were to play out anything like that!
What a Cinderella story that would be, considering all the hardships he and his family have been through!
Pulling for him...hard!
That would be awesome since they are moving to Vegas and it would be easier to go watch him play when they make the move. I really wouldn't want to become a Raider fan but it might be inevitable since I can't stand the Broncos and they will be the closest team in proximity. Maybe I should just go get some spiked shoulder pads now.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 11th, 2019, 5:27 pm

So if he does go to the raiders I wonder how long he'll sit behind Carr?

troutputz
RIP

RE: Hey watch, what?

Post by troutputz » December 11th, 2019, 5:37 pm

What youse saying about my beloved Denver Broncos? I bleed Aggie blue first then Denver Orange Second, and Seattle Seahawk third! Don't you know Denver is going to Draft Tipa this next April! I have read the book, experienced it, lived it, relished in.........BRONCO MANIA! It is always, I'm dreaming of an Orange Chrushmas! The only thing that chaps me off is that Boise Truck Driver College copied Denvers colors and name, and for that I LOATHE Boise State Mother Truckers!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Machismo wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 5:27 pm
Carr's leash is getting pretty short. If they actually had somebody behind him who could play he'd probably have found the bench by now.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 11th, 2019, 7:54 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 3:48 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
He'll go to the senior bowl and get a combine invite. Kid isn't making it out of the first round.
I think its going to be kind of like Josh Allen. His numbers were pretty blah too. Fewer Interceptions but less yards and even worse completion percentage. But when he starts wowing with his arm at the workouts there will be several teams that want him and will worry they will lose him if they don't jump. Sounds like there already are. Could be wrong though.

He had a tough time of it this year but he had everything dumped on his shoulders with an OC who couldn't give a damn. I don't know how he could have done much better when the RPO was abandoned for all intensive purposes and the Aggies operated with one running play with a patchwork O-line and the worst right tackle in football.

Excited to see what he can do with a good coach and team to learn from.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm

hickaggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
I think its going to be kind of like Josh Allen. His numbers were pretty blah too. Fewer Interceptions but less yards and even worse completion percentage. But when he starts wowing with his arm at the workouts there will be several teams that want him and will worry they will lose him if they don't jump. Sounds like there already are. Could be wrong though.

He had a tough time of it this year but he had everything dumped on his shoulders with an OC who couldn't give a damn. I don't know how he could have done much better when the RPO was abandoned for all intensive purposes and the Aggies operated with one running play with a patchwork O-line and the worst right tackle in football.

That was so painfully true I laughed so that I didn’t cry.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
JSHarvey

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 11th, 2019, 8:34 pm

22, he's expected to be the second or third but, mark my words, he'll be the fourth at best. I know he has a good agent but he's still coming from Utah State which doesn't have the ESPN media backing it let alone a big fan base and large media market backing it.

I'm not saying that Utah State will never have a very high pick, I'm just saying that when you're coming from Utah State you aren't given the benefit of the doubt
Last edited by AggieFBObsession on December 11th, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 11th, 2019, 8:34 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm
hickaggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

Wait, so you don't have to be a senior to play in the senior bowl?

frankiedoeshollywood
Has thanked: 0

Post by frankiedoeshollywood » December 11th, 2019, 8:46 pm

hickaggie wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 7:54 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

Intensive purposes? Username checks out.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 11th, 2019, 10:53 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:22, he's expected to be the second or third but, mark my words, he'll be the fourth at best. I know he has a good agent but he's still coming from Utah State which doesn't have the ESPN media backing it let alone a big fan base and large media market backing it.

I'm not saying that Utah State will never have a very high pick, I'm just saying that when you're coming from Utah State you aren't given the benefit of the doubt
If only we could have a second round draft pick like Bobby Wagner was we could claim we have a high draft pick.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
BadElbow

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 11th, 2019, 11:15 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 10:53 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:22, he's expected to be the second or third but, mark my words, he'll be the fourth at best. I know he has a good agent but he's still coming from Utah State which doesn't have the ESPN media backing it let alone a big fan base and large media market backing it.

If only we could have a second round draft pick like Bobby Wagner was we could claim we have a high draft pick.

Let's not forget to mention those media giants at Wyoming, North Dakota State, and Duke that were able to get Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, and Daniel Jones drafted in the first rounds of recent drafts!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 11th, 2019, 11:26 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 6:08 pm
Machismo wrote:
Carr's leash is getting pretty short. If they actually had somebody behind him who could play he'd probably have found the bench by now.
After watching what Jon Gruden did to the QB's here in Tampa Bay, I really hope Love doesn't end up with the Raiders. Gruden absolutely hates coaching and playing young QB's. He said so while he was here in fact. I suspect he is the reason Carr has regressed in Oakland. Gruden is very knowledgeable and entertaining, but I think he is a crappy QB developer and only an average HC.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » December 11th, 2019, 11:31 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Machismo wrote:
After watching what Jon Gruden did to the QB's here in Tampa Bay, I really hope Love doesn't end up with the Raiders. Gruden absolutely hates coaching and playing young QB's. He said so while he was here in fact. I suspect he is the reason Carr has regressed in Oakland. Gruden is very knowledgeable and entertaining, but I think he is a crappy QB developer and only an average HC.
Carr has not regressed under Gruden. He’s had a much better year this year than last. Statistically he is having a great year. His worst year was the last under Del Rio.

Gruden is a great QB coach but his offense is complex and demands a lot of the QB. Could be a fit there but would need to sit a year or two behind Carr.

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 12th, 2019, 7:15 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 8:34 pm
dyedblue wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 8:28 pm
hickaggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
taniataylor wrote:

Wait, so you don't have to be a senior to play in the senior bowl?
No, just have to have graduated

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 12th, 2019, 8:55 am

Cheecho6 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 11:31 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Machismo wrote:
Carr has not regressed under Gruden. He’s had a much better year this year than last. Statistically he is having a great year. His worst year was the last under Del Rio.

Gruden is a great QB coach but his offense is complex and demands a lot of the QB. Could be a fit there but would need to sit a year or two behind Carr.

I think it's a long shot that the Raiders will use their #1 pick do draft a QB when they have Derek Carr. Can't wait to see who picks him up.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 12th, 2019, 9:13 am

Machismo wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 8:55 am
Cheecho6 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Machismo wrote:

I think it's a long shot that the Raiders will use their #1 pick do draft a QB when they have Derek Carr. Can't wait to see who picks him up.
Stranger things have happened. Gruden is making moves as he's not satisfied with what's going on with his team. For example, Nevin is starting on the outside this weekend whereas he's been playing the inside slot on specific packages earlier in the season.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 12th, 2019, 9:16 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 9:13 am
Machismo wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 8:55 am
Cheecho6 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Machismo wrote:

Stranger things have happened. Gruden is making moves as he's not satisfied with what's going on with his team. For example, Nevin is starting on the outside this weekend whereas he's been playing the inside slot on specific packages earlier in the season.
This is true Chuckie isn't afraid to go outside the box.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 12th, 2019, 9:18 am

Cheecho6 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Machismo wrote:

Perhaps regression was too strong a term. However, it is apparent he and Carr aren't in sync and as evidenced by Gruden's time here in TB, I don't think he is a good HC/QB coach. Maybe if he were just a QB coach as in his younger days, but as a HC, he brutalized all of his young QB's and was on the record saying he didn't like young QB's.

Locked Previous topicNext topic