#9 in Rebounds per Game

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

#9 in Rebounds per Game

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 4th, 2019, 6:19 am

Justin Bean ranks #9 in rebounds per game at 11.3.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 2/group/50

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Usu0505

Re: #9 in Rebounds per Game

Post by Usu0505 » December 4th, 2019, 6:51 am

He is more than likely the best rebounder I have ever seen play at usu. especially when you take into account his size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 4th, 2019, 7:35 am

And he was non-existent for the first half of the St. Mary's game.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 4th, 2019, 7:41 am

He got 9 in that game, and i think they were all in the second half.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
aggies22

Where only sage brush grows

dogie

Post by dogie » December 4th, 2019, 8:11 am

MrBiggle wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:41 am
He almost got a double-double in second half with 9 rebounds and 18 points. He had six points in the first half, but foul problems will slow anyone down.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 4th, 2019, 8:14 am

MrBiggle wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:41 am
Yup.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 4th, 2019, 8:32 am

Bean = Rodman

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 4th, 2019, 9:34 am

Does anyone know the story with Bean? I know the story of Spencer recruiting him in a subway, but how the heck was he not looked at by someone? Did he experience a tremendous growth spurt after high school? How does a kid go from not being recruited to becoming a player that every team in the nation would take on their roster. Not saying he would start, but who wouldn’t want this kid and the energy and desire he brings to rebounding, not to mention the double digit scoring and solid defense.

These users thanked the author FeartheFro for the post:
Aggie in Boise

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » December 4th, 2019, 9:44 am

I had only really paid attention to Bean sporadically on TV games until the St. Mary's game. With those seats being so close to the court no matter where you are you get a good look. I was so impressed with him, especially in that second half. He's so unassuming but he just knows how to get to the ball. His rebounding reminds me of a bouncier Tai Wesley.

He also has ice in his veins. He hits his free throws and he hit a lot of challenging hook shots and mid-range jumpers at key moments in the game when neither Sam nor anyone else could get anything going. Also did a good job defensively. I can see why coach loves him so much. It's amazing he's a sophomore and I'm so glad we'll have him after Sam and likely Queta are gone next year.

He also seems like the kind of player his teammates love. He celebrated others' achievements as much as anyone and they were all super supportive of him.
These users thanked the author justinmorrey for the post (total 3):
Aggie in BoiseReal Life AggieAggieFBObsession

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 4th, 2019, 1:45 pm

ChicAggie wrote:Bean = Rodman
With a jumper

Twitter: UtahStizzle

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 4th, 2019, 3:44 pm

And class, not trash that Rodman carried around.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » December 4th, 2019, 4:39 pm

if only we could hope he was a rodman in college!!!

Southeastern Oklahoma State University, an NAIA school. There, Rodman was a three-time NAIA All-American and led the NAIA in rebounding twice (1985, 1986). In three seasons there (1983–1986), he averaged 25.7 points and 15.7 rebounds,[17] led the NAIA in rebounding twice and registered a .637 field goal percentage.[16] At the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, a pre-draft camp for NBA hopefuls, he won Most Valuable Player honors and caught the attention of the Detroit Pistons.[8]

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » December 4th, 2019, 5:20 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 9:34 am
Does anyone know the story with Bean? I know the story of Spencer recruiting him in a subway, but how the heck was he not looked at by someone? Did he experience a tremendous growth spurt after high school? How does a kid go from not being recruited to becoming a player that every team in the nation would take on their roster. Not saying he would start, but who wouldn’t want this kid and the energy and desire he brings to rebounding, not to mention the double digit scoring and solid defense.

If I remember right there was a post by a family member a while back when some people were complaining about us playing a walkon. I didn't look for it but it's here somewhere. If I remember right I think it was mentioned that he was injured in high school.

Got the details wrong but here is trombone_ninja's post. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48234&p=556429&hili ... ma#p556429
Justin’s older brother is a good friend of mine. He came across this thread and reached out to me (it’s easy for people who know me to recognize my username, apparently...) because he wanted people here to learn some background info about him that you might not be able to get otherwise. Obviously his family are a bit biased, but they know firsthand how good a kid Justin is and how hard he has worked to get this far and how hard he’s willing to keep working. Here’s what his brother had to say about him:

Justin played at Southmoore High School in Oklahoma, which is 6A (largest distinction in Oklahoma). As a Junior, he averaged 19.5 ppg & 10 rpg (led all of 6A in rebounding) while shooting 45% from 3. Justin tore his ACL the week before playoffs and was barely able to get back on the court playing again by the time his senior season began. He still averaged 16 ppg & 9 rpg while shooting 35% from 3 his senior season. Justin’s averages came against really good competition in OKC. In his conference alone, he played against the following D1 scholarship players 2x a year:

Trae Young (NBA)
Lindy Waters (Oklahoma State University)
Kristian Doolittle (University of Oklahoma)
DaQuan Jeffries (University of Tulsa)
Curran Scott (University of Tulsa)
Marcus Dickinson (Boise St University)
Omega Harris (UTEP)
Jakolby Long (Iowa State)
Austin Meyer (Rice)
Tyson Jolly (Baylor University)

The other OK 6A conference featured several more, including 76ers 2-way player Shake Milton.

Justin was under-recruited for a couple of reasons - for one he didn't play on an elite AAU team because he didn't want to play on Sundays (he's LDS). He found an AAU team that would respect that, but it was not a well known, elite AAU team. However, the primary reason teams missed on Justin is that he tore his ACL before his most important summer of recruiting (between his junior and senior year). Justin was relatively unknown before coming onto the scene his junior year. There were lots of D1 caliber players in Justin's conference, and after a great Junior year, he wasn't able to capitalize on it over the summer on the AAU circuit due to the ACL tear. With no D1 offers coming into his senior year, he still put together a great senior season at Southmoore, coming within a game of the state tourney and losing to the eventual runner up in a close game.

We don't know what Justin will become at Utah State or how good he'll be. We don’t know what role Coach Smith will ask him to take on. In high school Justin played mostly on the wing as a 2 or 3 - that’s obviously not the case for him right now, and we think he’s adjusted well to that change. What we do know is very few walk-ons do what he did in high school. In fact, not a whole lot of scholarship players do what he did in high school, against that level of competition. If you compare his HS stats to the HS stats of current USU scholarship players or currently committed players, you'll find that to be true. We also believe nobody will work harder than Justin, because that’s who he is and he’s always got a chip on his shoulder. He views every practice and every game as a chance to prove himself. He'll represent the school well and he'll give it everything he has. He loves the passion of the coaches, his teammates, the fans and so do we! We're rooting hard for the Aggies and are looking forward to the team’s continued success.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
ThunderAggie

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 4th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Blitz, thanks so much for finding that info. What a find for USU.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » December 4th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Bean is #1, I freaking love him.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 4th, 2019, 7:43 pm

The white, Mormon, Rodman
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
USU78

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 4th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Bean=Spencer Nelson with more hops and maybe even more shooting touch. His improvement from last year with his ball handling, passing, and shooting is phenomenal. The sky is the limit if he stays healthy.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 4th, 2019, 8:59 pm

hickaggie wrote:Bean=Spencer Nelson with more hops and maybe even more shooting touch. His improvement from last year with his ball handling, passing, and shooting is phenomenal. The sky is the limit if he stays healthy.
Have you watched Bean’s jumper? That is awful looking. Spencer was a way better shooter and ball handler. Bean is fantastic and has grown so much since last year. What a stud.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 4th, 2019, 9:02 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 8:59 pm
hickaggie wrote:Bean=Spencer Nelson with more hops and maybe even more shooting touch. His improvement from last year with his ball handling, passing, and shooting is phenomenal. The sky is the limit if he stays healthy.
Have you watched Bean’s jumper? That is awful looking. Spencer was a way better shooter and ball handler. Bean is fantastic and has grown so much since last year. What a stud.
Bean has a really weird hitch in his jump shot and holds the ball low and out in front off his face. It isn't as noticeable when he shoots close or free throws, but when he shoots a three? Holy smokes! It's like he went to the Shawn Marion school of shooting.
But I'm still a huge Bean fan.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Pacobag

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » December 5th, 2019, 8:03 am

Justin Bean is now #6 in rebounding in the country. His 14 rebounds last night increased his average up to 11.7 rpg! Not to mention his scoring average per game moved over 15 points to 15.1 ppg.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... 2/group/50

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 5th, 2019, 9:44 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 9:02 pm
dyedblue wrote:
Bean has a really weird hitch in his jump shot and holds the ball low and out in front off his face. It isn't as noticeable when he shoots close or free throws, but when he shoots a three? Holy smokes! It's like he went to the Shawn Marion school of shooting.
Marion shot an effective field goal percentage of 51%. Not bad.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 5th, 2019, 10:19 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 9:44 am
brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
Marion shot an effective field goal percentage of 51%. Not bad.
Yes. If ugly works, stick with ugly.
I'm often confused as to why people often try to change someone's shot or some QBs throwing motion. Seems like these efforts take a good player and make them bad more than they take a good player and make them great.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 5th, 2019, 10:37 am

brownjeans wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
His shot form is not great, but he has developed a really nice 15 foot jump shot. You did not see that last year, but his year he has developed it. The great thing about Bean is a super hard worker and will only continue to refine his game.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 5th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 10:37 am
His shot form is not great, but he has developed a really nice 15 foot jump shot. You did not see that last year, but his year he has developed it. The great thing about Bean is a super hard worker and will only continue to refine his game.
Excellent point, 84025. His 15-footer DEFINITELY looks much better this year than it did last year. But he should not be shooting any 3-pointers until he can make 10 in a row in practice.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » December 5th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Maybe he just needs to be pressured did you see his three in the last minute of st. mary's?

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » December 6th, 2019, 8:51 am

stewusu98 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 5:34 pm
Maybe he just needs to be pressured did you see his three in the last minute of st. mary's?
True. He went from 1-10 on his career to 2-11. The sample size is too small to draw many conclusions, but as others have pointed out, his form looks MUCH better 15 feet and in than it does from beyond the arc.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
stewusu98

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 6th, 2019, 9:06 am

I've heard Craig Smith talk for a bit directly about Bean's improved shooting before this season started. Part of what he said (I'm paraphrasing here) is that there's some shooting drill they do. Last year Justin Bean was only making 15 shots in this drill. This year he's making over 30.

Basically saying how much of an improved shooter he is. Then he made some joking reference about still not taking idiotic 3's though like he did in the conference championship game against SDSU last year (that he made though).

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 6th, 2019, 9:44 am

Bean’s mid range game and finishing at the rim has vastly improved. It’s quite remarkable to watch some of the buckets he was making in the San Jose game as compared to last year. He’s confident, relaxed, and looks like a highly skilled player. Quinn Taylor improved his outside shooting to the point that he was a real threat from behind the arc by his senior season. I imagine Bean will also add that to his skill set as well before he’s done at USU.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
ChicAggie

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

Bean is a perfect blend of Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris and Brady Jardine.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 6th, 2019, 10:08 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:Bean is a perfect blend of Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris and Brady Jardine.
Yes I can definitely see some of each of those three Aggie legends within Bean’s game. He’s not to the level of any of those three yet but I think he’ll be worthy of the comparison before he’s through.

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » December 6th, 2019, 11:22 am

ChicAggie wrote:
December 6th, 2019, 8:51 am
stewusu98 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 5:34 pm
True. He went from 1-10 on his career to 2-11. The sample size is too small to draw many conclusions, but as others have pointed out, his form looks MUCH better 15 feet and in than it does from beyond the arc.
It was a joke! I know he is not a great three point shooter. I did notice he did not have that hitch in his shot that time though.

Locked Previous topicNext topic