Football Coach Report Cards

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Football Coach Report Cards

Post by Yossarian » December 3rd, 2019, 3:33 pm

So Yahoo! sports put together a report card for all the first-year head coaches in FCS this year:

https://sports.yahoo.com/grading-the-27 ... 08534.html

The notable:

Texas Tech: Matt Wells
2018 record (Kliff Kingsbury): 5-7

2019 record: 4-8

The Red Raiders lost six of seven Big 12 games down the stretch, though four of those losses came by a possession or less. It was more of the same we saw in years past: second-best Big 12 offense, worst Big 12 defense. Matt Wells might have more work to do than he realized when he arrived in Lubbock.

Grade: C

Utah State: Gary Andersen
2018 record (Matt Wells): 11-2

2019 record: 7-5

Andersen came back to Utah State to replace Wells, who left for Texas Tech. With just two starters coming back on offense, some regression was expected. But damn, that regression hit hard. After averaging 47.5 points a game in 2018, the Aggies have averaged just 28.2 in 2019. The defense is giving up a touchdown more per game than it did in 2018 as well. Crazily enough, a win in a bowl game would make 2019 the second-best of Andersen’s five total seasons at the school.

Grade: C-

When you see it in print - the offense scored nearly 20 fewer points per game this year compared to last year - it really is striking. I think both the grades are fair.

Eutaw St. Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Re: Football Coach Report Cards

Post by oleblu111 » December 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm

Of course grades given would be subject to what schools were on the schedule and what were their records, for example we played 2 FBS schools on the road this year, we had New Mexico st. Tennessee Tech as OOC games both in Logan.

Also we had 2 starters returning on Offense so perhaps that should factor into the grade.

Wells had a 4-8 season maybe that is the average at Texas Tech if so then a C might be ok even if you do not go bowling.. C seems a bit high with 8 losses

G.A. had a winning record and we are going to a bowl game I do not consider that a below average year at USU so perhaps his grade should be a C+ or B-

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 3rd, 2019, 4:12 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 3:52 pm
Of course grades given would be subject to what schools were on the schedule and what were their records, for example we played 2 FBS schools on the road this year, we had New Mexico st. Tennessee Tech as OOC games both in Logan.

Also we had 2 starters returning on Offense so perhaps that should factor into the grade.

Wells had a 4-8 season maybe that is the average at Texas Tech if so then a C might be ok even if you do not go bowling.. C seems a bit high with 8 losses

G.A. had a winning record and we are going to a bowl game I do not consider that a below average year at USU so perhaps his grade should be a C+ or B-
I'm sure there area thousand different ways to come up with grade that is not entirely dependent on W-L records of the current year and the previous years. There are so many variables to consider (injuries, strength of schedule, where the games were played (home or away), whether or not the refs have a bias against your team, etc.) The record is the obvious measuring stick, but another factor that may be looked at is the team's performance versus the season averages of their opponent. For example:

USU played San Diego State

SDSUs 12-game average yards per game is 329.3 and their average points scored per game is 19.0. SDSU gained 372 total yards and scored 17 points against USU. So USU gave up more yards than SDSUs average and held them to about average on points.

SDSUs 12-game averages on defense are 288.7 yards and 12.8 points allowed. USU gained 375 yards and scored 23 points against them.

You could say that USU's performance against SDSU was better than average (quite a bit). You do a similar analysis for each of the 12 games and you could get a pretty good idea of how the season went for the Aggies and Coach Andersen and staff.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » December 3rd, 2019, 4:22 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 4:12 pm
You do a similar analysis for each of the 12 games and you could get a pretty good idea of how the season went for the Aggies and Coach Andersen and staff.
Paging BigBlueDart...paging BigBlueDart...BBD stats needed...STAT!!!
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
BigBlueDart

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 3rd, 2019, 5:12 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 4:22 pm
Yossarian wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 4:12 pm
You do a similar analysis for each of the 12 games and you could get a pretty good idea of how the season went for the Aggies and Coach Andersen and staff.
Paging BigBlueDart...paging BigBlueDart...BBD stats needed...STAT!!!
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
JSHarvey

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 3rd, 2019, 6:13 pm

Other stats to compare:

2018-19 Season
Total Defense - #51 (379.5 ypg)
Scoring Defense - #33 (22.2 ppg)
Total Offense - #11 (497.4 ypg)
Scoring Offense - #2 (47.5 ppg)
Turn Over Margin - #3 (+14)

2019-20 Season
Total Defense - #96 (431.4 ypg) --> 51.9 ypg worse
Scoring Defense - #76 (29.0 ppg) --> 6.8 ppg worse
Total Offense - #51 (425.1 ypg) --> 72.3 ypg worse
Scoring Offense - #68 (28.3 ppg) --> 19.2 ppg worse
Turn Over Margin - #67 (+0) --> 14 less turnovers in margin

We essentially slid approximately 40 spots in total D, scoring D, and total O from last season while slipping 66 spots in scoring O and 64 spots in turnover margin.

Like the report card above states, I think most of us were anticipating a drop off in offense but did anyone expect it to drop this far? Last year was of course a historic year and set not only team records but conference records. There's no living up to those numbers but would it have been unrealistic to expect to remain a top 40 offense? The biggest fall offensively was the 66 spots in scoring offense which can be directly attributed to one of the most atrocious redzone offenses we have ever witnessed. Nearly 20 less points per game mainly because we had no clue what to do once we got inside the 20 yard line. The lack of creativity and poor play design was only magnified with a short field. Our turnover margin was also offset by Love's habit of throwing INT's or coughing up untimely fumbles.

The bigger disappointment though has to be this defense. Falling around 40 spots in both total D and scoring D was disgusting to witness with 9 returning starters. Yes there were a few injuries but between the lack of an effective scheme and lack of fire and passion on this side of the ball we were doomed to fail. Some people like to point out that we had a much harder schedule but in reality was it really that much harder? Perhaps slightly in overall quality of teams but it's not like we faced a murderer's row of explosive offenses. Outside of Wake Forest, LSU, and BSU (only 3 we faced in top 40 offenses) there were actually a lot of offensively challenged teams on our schedule. Even though BSU was still top 40, they were also down from last year so why the defensive struggles? Coaching, scheme, lack of preparation, and lack of quality player depth? All of the above?

Interestingly our worst ranking among these four key stats was #51 in 2018-19 yet our best ranking in any of the same categories in 2019-20 was also #51. Not a sign of trending in the right direction. I would be happy with an 8-5 season (I think 8 wins needs to be the floor for this program moving forward) but it's these stats that have me worried that we might not be seeing that in the near future. I think it is this trend that not only did we not improve in a single category in GA's first year but we slid quite far in each that has many fans concerned. The same trend could also be seen over the course of the season. We regressed as a team as the year went on with each week looking like a more and more defeated team with less and less energy or preparation for what was coming. I'll be looking for a decent correction to all of these rankings after next season to see where GA has us headed after his first couple of years back.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 3rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

That looks about right. Those stats are damning. I thought we should end up at 8-4, 7-5 is stop a good year but fell a little sort of where I thought we would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 4th, 2019, 7:25 am

Aglicious wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 6:13 pm
Other stats to compare:

2018-19 Season

2019-20 Season

Very telling: You wouldn't think that decreasing your TO by the equivalent of one good drive per game would correlate to a scoring decrease of three touchdowns per game. Until you factor in our worst-in-the-nation red zone TD conversion rate.

Still four of our five losses were so bad that we could have had 100% red zone TD conversion and still lost.

Nobody here knows anything.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 4th, 2019, 7:54 am

I would give Gary a B-. I think he has done some good things. I think 50 new players, key injuries, and a tougher schedule has negatively impacted our stats this year. We also had some really bad games that further complicated our issues. For some reason, I feel like our teams perform better when it is about the team instead of just a player here and there. Reminds me of the Chuckie Keeton hype (probably the years after his injury more than anything) that negatively impacted some pretty good teams. We must be more aggressive on defense, we must win on third down on both sides of the ball, and we must score in the red zone. Those areas really cost us this year.

I didn't watch any Texas Tech games, but I think Wells probably deserves a C-. I have no idea what they returned from the previous year or anything else.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2019, 7:55 am

Our strength of schedule looked dramatically different this year than last, something everyone seems to be forgetting.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOdonlarson8

Full

Post by Full » December 4th, 2019, 9:22 am

I still think it takes three years minimum before a coach can be graded. The drop of the offense and defense looks troubling, but there are enough factors they earned the benefit of the doubt. (Especially with Wells not filling all the available scholarships). Also, last year the injuries didn’t pile up, in part because they starters got a lot of rest. This year our FBS opponents are a combined 81-51 compared to 57-80. If you ranked the games based on how good the opponent was every single game was more difficult this year. Here is my comparison:

@ LSU - @ Boise
Boise - @ Michigan State
@ Air Force - @ Hawaii
@ Wake Forest- @ BYU
@SDSU - @ Wyoming
BYU- Air Force
Wyoming - @ CSU
Nevada - UNLV
CSU - New Mexico
@ Fresno - NMSU
@ New Mexico - SJSU
Stoney Brook - Tennessee Tech

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 4th, 2019, 9:43 am

More Stats

The Wilson Performance Rating System uses a purely mathematical approach to rank teams (no priors nothing counts but wins and losses). A given game counts as a 100 points plus the opponents rating for a win and minus 100 points from the opponents rating for a loss. A team's rating is the average of the game ratings its played. Losses that raise one's rating only count 5%, and wins that reduce one's rating only count 5%.

Comparing last year to this the Wilson rating scores USU as the 45th best team in BOTH years. See: https://wilson.engr.wisc.edu/perform/ for current and historical ratings.

These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 2):
USU78ShowMeAggie

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 4th, 2019, 9:56 am

Defense did bother me his season. The lack of punch inside the red zone lands on the Offensive line. I do have some experience in that area, the quality drop off from last year was huge, those kids need to get much stronger.

We did not lose a game this last season that I excepted to win, we did beat San Diego which I did not think would happen

I give an A to Gary for getting Mariner, and Repp to transfer, I hate to think what would have happened without those two.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 4th, 2019, 1:08 pm

OKAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:25 am
Aglicious wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 6:13 pm
Other stats to compare:

2018-19 Season

2019-20 Season

Very telling: You wouldn't think that decreasing your TO by the equivalent of one good drive per game would correlate to a scoring decrease of three touchdowns per game. Until you factor in our worst-in-the-nation red zone TD conversion rate.

Still four of our five losses were so bad that we could have had 100% red zone TD conversion and still lost.
Yep, between the almost 3 less TD's from the offense and allowing almost exactly 1 extra TD on defense we are talking about a nearly 4 TD difference per game! :shock: Much of that is due to the absurd offensive numbers put up last year and the rest is the absurdly poor numbers we put up in the blow out losses this year. :anonymous:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 4th, 2019, 1:15 pm

oleblu111 wrote:

Sl7vk wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:55 am
Our strength of schedule looked dramatically different this year than last, something everyone seems to be forgetting.
You do know there's metrics and advanced stats that factor in strength of schedule, right? Let's look at 4 of the more popular ones that are very commonly used.

USU 2018 Ranking
Sagarin: #27
ESPN FPI: #23
SP+ Overall: #21 (Offense: #22 Defense: #35)
FEI Ratings Overall: #8 (Offense: #10 Defense: #24)

USU 2019 Ranking
Sagarin: #71
ESPN FPI: #74
SP+ Overall: #80 (Offense: #82 Defense: #76 )
FEI Ratings Overall: #99 (Offense: #101 Defense #77)
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on December 4th, 2019, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:15 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Sl7vk wrote:
You do know there's metrics and advanced stats that factor in strength of schedule, right? Let's look at 4 of the more popular ones that are very commonly used.

USU 2018 Ranking

USU 2019 Ranking

Yes, Gary's grade is a C-.
You do know there are roster turnover issues that factor into advanced stats, right? Let's look at our offense and defense from 2018 to 2019.

USU 2018 Defensive Starters
Leilua, Anderson, Schuster, Galeai, Woodward, Tamaivena, Christiansen, Ingram, Ferguson, Wade, Rocquemore, Williams
(8 returning starters, and that doesn't include Woodward and Galeai).

USU 2019 Defensive Starters
Anderson, Unga, Tei, Galeai, Woodward, Meitzenheimer, Haney, Williams, Bond, Lefeged, Grayson
(4 returning starters)

USU 2018 Offensive Starters
Andrus, Edwards, Ficklin, Taylor, Castaneda, Love, Thompson, Tarver, Nathan, Greene, Raymond
(8 returning starters, and that doesn't include Thompson)

USU 2019 Offensive Starters
Edwards, Shaw, Shaw, Hack, Aliifua, Love, Bright, Mariner, Nathan, Terrell, Scarver
(3 returning starters)

Gary's grade is somewhere around a B. Especially when you consider how he's done fundraising and recruiting.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2019, 2:12 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 1:15 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

Sl7vk wrote:

USU 2018 Ranking

USU 2019 Ranking

Yes, Gary's grade is a C-.
You do know there are roster turnover issues that factor into advanced stats, right? Let's look at our offense and defense from 2018 to 2019.

USU 2018 Defensive Starters
Leilua, Anderson, Schuster, Galeai, Woodward, Tamaivena, Christiansen, Ingram, Ferguson, Wade, Rocquemore, Williams
(8 returning starters, and that doesn't include Woodward and Galeai).

USU 2019 Defensive Starters
Anderson, Unga, Tei, Galeai, Woodward, Meitzenheimer, Haney, Williams, Bond, Lefeged, Grayson
(4 returning starters)

USU 2018 Offensive Starters
Andrus, Edwards, Ficklin, Taylor, Castaneda, Love, Thompson, Tarver, Nathan, Greene, Raymond
(8 returning starters, and that doesn't include Thompson)

USU 2019 Offensive Starters
Edwards, Shaw, Shaw, Hack, Aliifua, Love, Bright, Mariner, Nathan, Terrell, Scarver
(3 returning starters)

Gary's grade is somewhere around a B. Especially when you consider how he's done fundraising and recruiting.
The strength of schedule disparity and returning starters are the two important metrics. We also turned teams over a lot more last year, in fact at a crazy rate. In 2018 we played three teams with a winning record in the regular season: Michigan State, Hawai'i, and Boise. We were 1-2 in those games. The bad teams we played were also REALLY bad.

This year we played 8 teams with a winning record and went:3-5. I understand it's disappointing to not even compete against BYU, Boise, and AFA, but I will never turn down 7 wins in a rebuilding year. GA gets a B- on the year from me.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
Intermeddleroleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 4th, 2019, 2:34 pm

I understand the pain with the BYU blowout, but keep in mind those folks beat Tennessee, USC, and Boise.

AFA is at 10 wins this season, that's a very strong record.

Boise had one loss this season, to BYU.

LSU is unbeaten and may be the best team in the nation.

Wake Forrest had a big season with a winning record in a P-5 conference, we could have won that game.

So I have a hard time giving a C- grade to this coach or this team
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Madmartigan

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 4th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:12 pm

The strength of schedule disparity and returning starters are the two important metrics. We also turned teams over a lot more last year, in fact at a crazy rate. In 2018 we played three teams with a winning record in the regular season: Michigan State, Hawai'i, and Boise. We were 1-2 in those games. The bad teams we played were also REALLY bad.

This year we played 8 teams with a winning record and went:3-5. I understand it's disappointing to not even compete against BYU, Boise, and AFA, but I will never turn down 7 wins in a rebuilding year. GA gets a B- on the year from me.
Okay, due to the fact that I know Madmartigan is smarter than me IRL, I'll concede the B-.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:I understand the pain with the BYU blowout, but keep in mind those folks beat Tennessee, USC, and Boise.

Wake Forrest had a big season with a winning record in a P-5 conference, we could have won that game.

That makes me feel so much better.

Keep in mind we killed BYU at their place last year

We beat AFA in Logan

We competed with Boise on their turf last year

I don’t care about LSU, the check cleared.

Last year we passed those tests. The C- is warranted for failing to show up in four games.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Okay, due to the fact that I know Madmartigan is smarter than me IRL, I'll concede the B-.
Only if we're discussing the air speed velocity of unladen swallows am I smarter.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Intermeddler

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2019, 3:32 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
oleblu111 wrote:I understand the pain with the BYU blowout, but keep in mind those folks beat Tennessee, USC, and Boise.

We beat AFA in Logan

Last year we passed those tests. The C- is warranted for failing to show up in four games.

Teams are different from year to year. BYU finished 7-6 last year. AFA was 5-7 last year and returned a boat load of starters from 2018 to 2019. Boise is also better this year.

You're right about one thing, we should've competed against all those teams, but to do a direct comparison from last year to this year on the assumption that those were the same teams is disingenuous.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 4th, 2019, 3:45 pm

dyedblue wrote:

We beat AFA in Logan

OK I guess all those team had the same players, and so did USU.

Most often folks giving grades know more about what they are grading than those that get graded.

New coach was given the same talent as what we had last season, the teams we play had about the same win loss record. as last season. right ?

If you want to give out grades good for you guy's C- for a winning record and a bowl game, great. If you want to grade folks lets give them all the same chance to succeed as those they are playing against. If you believe that fine with me. C- it is.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm

C is average. That isn’t a bad thing it just means that you didn’t exceed expectations and you didn’t fail. I imagine Gary himself would tell you they didn’t exceed their goals this year.

Would last years staff have done better with this team than this year’s staff?

Wake - I think we win
LSU - no change
BYU - we sure as hell don’t get blown out at home and I think we win.
Boise - No change but we would have competed
AFA - we would have competed and likely would have lost. AFA is very good this year.

In fairness I don’t think Wells would have beaten SDSU

That means GA is one win below what Wells would have gotten and Wells was an average coach.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 4th, 2019, 4:32 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm
C is average. That isn’t a bad thing it just means that you didn’t exceed expectations and you didn’t fail. I imagine Gary himself would tell you they didn’t exceed their goals this year.

Wake - I think we win
LSU - no change
AFA - we would have competed and likely would have lost. AFA is very good this year.

That means GA is one win below what Wells would have gotten and Wells was an average coach.

This is a crack up. If we are doing theoreticals you may as well have us beating everyone!
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
JFW_AGGIES

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 4th, 2019, 4:37 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Wake - I think we win
LSU - no change

Your analysis is flawed, do you think MW and Co. Would have gotten, Marnier,Repp, Warren and Heniger? Doubtful so I don't buy your argument.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 4th, 2019, 5:03 pm

I think average is 6-6 so 7 wins is a bit better. However this years opponent's were better than last season even the same ones we played each season. If one consider's where we are, what we had I thought we did fine. We did not lose to a bad team we beat San Diego which won 9 games you do not beat them very often, we got by a 7 win Wyoming, as well as a win Nevada squad. Was it a great year no, but below average not at all

As a program we have come a long way's, but we still have a long way to travel before we can expect 9 win seasons most years.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
JFW_AGGIES

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 4th, 2019, 5:22 pm

I would like to see a comparison between last year's SOS and this year's SOS. I'm too lazy to do it myself. But, I would like to see it.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 4th, 2019, 5:33 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 3:45 pm
dyedblue wrote:

We beat AFA in Logan

OK I guess all those team had the same players, and so did USU.

Most often folks giving grades know more about what they are grading than those that get graded.

New coach was given the same talent as what we had last season, the teams we play had about the same win loss record. as last season. right ?

If you want to give out grades good for you guy's C- for a winning record and a bowl game, great. If you want to grade folks lets give them all the same chance to succeed as those they are playing against. If you believe that fine with me. C- it is.
Andersen did have the benefit of a Heisman candidate leading his team. They passed out candy and everything.

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 4th, 2019, 7:18 pm

dyedblue wrote:

We beat AFA in Logan

The key words are “LAST YEAR”.

Why are you acting like players and coaches didn’t change ? Utah State alone has 54 new players from last year.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2019, 7:44 pm

The grades yahoo gave out seem almost entirely based on year over year records compared. Seems really lazy.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 4th, 2019, 9:40 pm

So how would you grade this staff’s usage of Jordan Love?
Tipa?
Gerald Bright?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 4th, 2019, 9:50 pm

^^^^ straw man argument.

Locked Previous topicNext topic