I'm self reflecting on my character when BYU goes down,

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Olderthandirt

I'm self reflecting on my character when BYU goes down,

Post by Olderthandirt » December 1st, 2019, 11:34 pm

and I relish in it. Why do I take pleasure in others pain? Is it because the two vocal zoobies at church don't want to talk to me when they lose? That's a good thing, so maybe. Is it because of a "big brother" syndrome? Maybe. Is it because BYU fans are so often A-holes of the first degree? Probably.

Self reflection over. I guess my character is just fine.
These users thanked the author Olderthandirt for the post (total 3):
vegasaggieUSU78NavyBlue

NavyBlue

Re: I'm self reflecting on my character when BYU goes down,

Post by NavyBlue » December 2nd, 2019, 7:46 am

Olderthandirt wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 11:34 pm
and I relish in it. Why do I take pleasure in others pain? Is it because the two vocal zoobies at church don't want to talk to me when they lose? That's a good thing, so maybe. Is it because of a "big brother" syndrome? Maybe. Is it because BYU fans are so often A-holes of the first degree? Probably.

Self reflection over. I guess my character is just fine.
When I came to USU, being a LDS convert and not being from Utah, I liked BYU. But by my second year in Logan, and being around their fan base I hate them with every fiber of my being. Hearing things like, "Utah State we SHOULD be playing Ohio State"... and one BYU fan at a game in Logan told me I should be thumped in the head for being LDS and not rooting for BYU. Thankfully, I live out of state and have left the LDS church so I rarely have to deal with them anymore. There is a reason why everyone who plays BYU regularly, hates them more than anyone else on their schedule.

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » December 2nd, 2019, 11:47 am

I generally strive to cheer for my team and for those that help my team in the standings, but I make an exception for BYU. I relish it when they lose. I delight in the wailing and gnashing that CB has when they lose.

The main reason is simple. I see them as hypocrites with an obnoxious holier-than-thou attitude.

Who threw garbage at the referees when a call didn't go their way? BYU fans.
Who tried to steal the spotlight from a presentation of "fan of the game" to a kid with severe challenges? The BYU marching band. Who regularly makes secret combinations to stab other schools in the back? BYU athletic administration. These are all classless move. Pretty trashy coming from an organization that prides itself on class.

I'd look past it and chalk it up, with the exception of #3, to human shortcomings if they weren't so smug about everything else. They aren't the regulators of class for nothing. If you're going to talk about how you're so classy and righteous, you better back up that talk with action.

I especially loathe their holier-than-thou attitude. The honor code doesn't make you a righteous person, especially when one fails to apply compassion and understanding with it. No, bronco mendenhal was not called of God to lead the football team and it's inappropriate to preach that over the pulpit. No, I'm not a bad Mormon who is throwing away his birthright for a bowl of porridge by not even considering BYU. No, you're not more righteous because your religion classes count for academic credit.

I think it's a shame they're like that because I think they could be a really fun rival. They have a large, passionate fan base, lots of banter potential, and we have a lot of history. But their attitude both as a school and fans really leaves it feeling like a bitter rivalry. Oh well. I'll let the hate flow through me and join the dark side.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 2nd, 2019, 12:59 pm

Don't let BYU get in your head with their narrative brotha.

It is not "little brotherish" to enjoy seeing your rivals lose. It's by no means a character flaw to enjoy seeing rivals lose.

Because losing a game is not "real pain". You aren't actually harming someone. You aren't taking away anything away that they are entitled to such as property. You aren't endangering anyone, and you didn't sleep with their wife. It's not a character flaw.

Exactly 100% of the "loyal, blue & true" Cougar fans will be rooting for someway that Utah is kept out of the CFP and then for Utah to get drubbed in the CFP.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 2nd, 2019, 1:21 pm

USUMAE wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 11:47 am
I generally strive to cheer for my team and for those that help my team in the standings, but I make an exception for BYU. I relish it when they lose. I delight in the wailing and gnashing that CB has when they lose.

The main reason is simple. I see them as hypocrites with an obnoxious holier-than-thou attitude.

Who threw garbage at the referees when a call didn't go their way? BYU fans.
Who tried to steal the spotlight from a presentation of "fan of the game" to a kid with severe challenges? The BYU marching band. Who regularly makes secret combinations to stab other schools in the back? BYU athletic administration. These are all classless move. Pretty trashy coming from an organization that prides itself on class.

I'd look past it and chalk it up, with the exception of #3, to human shortcomings if they weren't so smug about everything else. They aren't the regulators of class for nothing. If you're going to talk about how you're so classy and righteous, you better back up that talk with action.

I especially loathe their holier-than-thou attitude. The honor code doesn't make you a righteous person, especially when one fails to apply compassion and understanding with it. No, bronco mendenhal was not called of God to lead the football team and it's inappropriate to preach that over the pulpit. No, I'm not a bad Mormon who is throwing away his birthright for a bowl of porridge by not even considering BYU. No, you're not more righteous because your religion classes count for academic credit.

I think it's a shame they're like that because I think they could be a really fun rival. They have a large, passionate fan base, lots of banter potential, and we have a lot of history. But their attitude both as a school and fans really leaves it feeling like a bitter rivalry. Oh well. I'll let the hate flow through me and join the dark side.
BYU fans always remind me of a snobby/nosy HOA committee that trespasses on your backyard to complain about the door handle on your deck not being up to their standard. (Or some terrible PTA mom who wont shut up about how well their kid is doing with the teacher they are practically bribing)

Utefans remind me of the type of neighbor that make some people want regulations within their neighborhood.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 8th, 2019, 12:30 pm

It is hard for me to understand why LDS people talk down other universities at a church setting do not they realize how small and non christian that is ? I do not like to talk trash about religion's on a message board, but man that is bad. No wonder you folks hate BYU more than I do.

Locked Previous topicNext topic