Bad pass interference calls

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Bad pass interference calls

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 16th, 2019, 10:57 pm

While we were all upset about the pass interference call against us in the second quarter, we have to also admit the pass interference on Wyoming in the third was bad too and should have been offensive on us.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Re: Bad pass interference calls

Post by bigblue » November 16th, 2019, 11:04 pm

There was a bunch of bad calls but it seemed to go both ways.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author bigblue for the post:
ProvoAggie

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 16th, 2019, 11:23 pm

Mountain West officials are so poor.
The ineligible lineman downfield touchdown called back was the effing cherry on top.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 16th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Lots of trashy calls. I was pissed for Wyoming on many.

dogie

Post by dogie » November 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Here are two officiating issues that I thought were just wrong:

1. Early in the first quarter, Wyoming started their second drive by getting to 3rd and 3 at their 40. They made a short pass over the middle, I think to their tight end. The Wyoming receiver first touched the ball about a half yard past the first down line, but he was bobbling it as he was pushed back. He had no possession of it at that time, and I remember thinking that the Aggies might grab it for an interception. The Wyoming received pulled it in, but not before he had stepped back about two yards, at which point, the completion was made and he was tackled. The officials somehow spotted it at the point where he first touched it, but hadn't gained possession. It gave Wyoming a first down instead of forcing them to punt. They eventually punted after gaining about another 20 yards.

2. Midway through the second quarter, on the play immediately after the horse collar penalty that put the ball in the USU 26, DJ Williams was called for pass interference. Rather than moving the ball halfway to the goal line to the 13, they penalized USU 15 full yards to the 11. On the next play Vander Waal ran the ball for 11 yards and a few inches for a touchdown.

Someone help me with this second call. Is there something about pass interference where it is assessed at 15 yards rather than halfway to the goal line in that situation? Later in the game, Wyoming was called for roughing the QB, and the ball was moved halfway to the goal line from the 24 to the 12. Maybe the ball placement after pass interference is different from other penalties.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 16th, 2019, 11:53 pm

There were plenty of bad calls on both sides I have no remorse that Wyoming got some and we got some as well. There were several times we were going after their quarterback and getting dragged to the ground and they did not call holding on them so it goes both ways.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 16th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Pass interference is 15 yards even if it is greater than half distance. While the call was blown, the ruling of moving to the 11 instead of 13 was correct.

dogie

Post by dogie » November 17th, 2019, 12:10 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 11:53 pm
Pass interference is 15 yards even if it is greater than half distance. While the call was blown, the ruling of moving to the 11 instead of 13 was correct.
Very interesting. Of course, I remember when it was a spot foul and was placed wherever the penalty occurred.

How close to the goal line can the ball be placed on pass interference? The three yard line?

If pass interference happens just five yards downfield, is it still a fifteen yard penalty?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 17th, 2019, 3:10 am

dogie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
Very interesting. Of course, I remember when it was a spot foul and was placed wherever the penalty occurred.

How close to the goal line can the ball be placed on pass interference? The three yard line?

If pass interference happens just five yards downfield, is it still a fifteen yard penalty?
It's a spot foul in the NFL.

If it's PI in the end zone it goes to the 2.

If it's under 15 yards down field it's a spot foul

What GFA said is mostly correct. However, you don't tack on 15 yards if that would result in it being spotted inside the 2, unless the ball was already at the 2 or closer. Then it's half the distance. Practically, that fact pattern is rare to happen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 17th, 2019, 3:46 am

There were two or three instances where the officials also did things but made no announcement of what they were doing. I think the ineligible downfield on the TD was one of them, where the announcers were confused because the officials just took the ball back past midfield and started play again, after signaling a TD, and never made any sort of announcement about what was going on. The ref also seemed confused a lot of times even when making announcements.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 17th, 2019, 6:34 am

swordsman1989 wrote:There were two or three instances where the officials also did things but made no announcement of what they were doing. I think the ineligible downfield on the TD was one of them, where the announcers were confused because the officials just took the ball back past midfield and started play again, after signaling a TD, and never made any sort of announcement about what was going on. The ref also seemed confused a lot of times even when making announcements.
They announced it, nobody was watching it though.

The refs really sucked yesterday. In the first half we mostly got screwed, Wyoming got it in the second half. The back to back hold’s were horrible. Winning was doing it all day long and only got called a couple of times. The blatant hold in the first half happened right in front of the clown that stops you from snapping the ball was so bad that the ref had to throw it from the backside of the play.

On the field goal right after the leaping penalty there was a false start followed by another leaping no call.

The pass interference calls were both bogus. Terrible calls both ways.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 17th, 2019, 7:07 am

Sl7vk wrote:Mountain West officials are so poor.
The ineligible lineman downfield touchdown called back was the effing cherry on top.
The right guard drove his man 8 yards down field.

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 17th, 2019, 7:09 am

dogie wrote:Here are two officiating issues that I thought were just wrong:

1. Early in the first quarter, Wyoming started their second drive by getting to 3rd and 3 at their 40. They made a short pass over the middle, I think to their tight end. The Wyoming receiver first touched the ball about a half yard past the first down line, but he was bobbling it as he was pushed back. He had no possession of it at that time, and I remember thinking that the Aggies might grab it for an interception. The Wyoming received pulled it in, but not before he had stepped back about two yards, at which point, the completion was made and he was tackled. The officials somehow spotted it at the point where he first touched it, but hadn't gained possession. It gave Wyoming a first down instead of forcing them to punt. They eventually punted after gaining about another 20 yards.

2. Midway through the second quarter, on the play immediately after the horse collar penalty that put the ball in the USU 26, DJ Williams was called for pass interference. Rather than moving the ball halfway to the goal line to the 13, they penalized USU 15 full yards to the 11. On the next play Vander Waal ran the ball for 11 yards and a few inches for a touchdown.

Someone help me with this second call. Is there something about pass interference where it is assessed at 15 yards rather than halfway to the goal line in that situation? Later in the game, Wyoming was called for roughing the QB, and the ball was moved halfway to the goal line from the 24 to the 12. Maybe the ball placement after pass interference is different from other penalties.
In stadium Replayed showed that was actually a good spot, I didn’t like it at first but it was good.

Hail Aggies!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 17th, 2019, 7:23 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 3:10 am
dogie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

It's a spot foul in the NFL.

If it's PI in the end zone it goes to the 2.

If it's under 15 yards down field it's a spot foul

What GFA said is mostly correct. However, you don't tack on 15 yards if that would result in it being spotted inside the 2, unless the ball was already at the 2 or closer. Then it's half the distance. Practically, that fact pattern is rare to happen though.

There was one year that as April Fools joke, I posted that college switched to the spot foul like the NFL and a few people here believed it. I did it before Nevin Lawson's senior year when that rule would have been bad for us. And had that one planned for months. I then researched and found out that college did used to have the brutal spot foul like the NFL, then changed to the 15 yard cap in 1984. Lavell Edwards was one of the guys behind that change.

The change to a 15 yard cap in NFL sometimes gets proposed and shot down.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 17th, 2019, 8:25 am

dogie wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

DJ should not have been called because the ball was tipped. Just before the infraction.

#hornsup!

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » November 17th, 2019, 8:49 am

Sl7vk wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 11:23 pm
Was that the long pass to Tompkins? I couldn’t hear what the call was and I though that they just ruled that he never controlled the ball, myself and everyone around me was baffled why they didn’t review it, but if they call s ineligible receiver down field that makes more sense.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 17th, 2019, 8:52 am

Aggieforlife wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 8:49 am
Sl7vk wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 11:23 pm
Was that the long pass to Tompkins? I couldn’t hear what the call was and I though that they just ruled that he never controlled the ball, myself and everyone around me was baffled why they didn’t review it, but if they call s ineligible receiver down field that makes more sense.
Yes.
How many big plays have we had called back for ineligible man downfield this year?!?! Feels like a half dozen or more.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 17th, 2019, 9:19 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:07 am

So is the rule that they can’t be downfield at all even if blocking? Because on the replay it looked like the defender and linemen disengaged just Love was throwing the ball. As in pure split second judgement by the ref is that is the criteria.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 17th, 2019, 9:24 am

They can't be more than three yards downfield when the ball is thrown.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 17th, 2019, 9:29 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:24 am
They can't be more than three yards downfield when the ball is thrown.
Well, they got that call right.

At least on the PI calls they were consistently bad but WYO ended up with mor points. IIRC, their PI call on us resulted in 7 for WYO. The PI calls against WYO resulted in a fg for us? I think our drive stalled on the first PI.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 17th, 2019, 10:59 am

A lot of my extended family are Cowboy fans and they are SUPER MAD and blame the officiating on the reason they lost. One texted me saying "I haven't seen a hometown (hometown refs) like this since last time Wyoming played BYU." I can see why some fans are upset, but we definelty out played them and there were bad calls both ways. If anything, we were the ones that shot ourselves in the foot over and over in the redzone. We should have won by more making their fans not even be able to say bad officiating costed them the game!

Donman

Post by Donman » November 17th, 2019, 11:11 am

ThunderAggie wrote:A lot of my extended family are Cowboy fans and they are SUPER MAD and blame the officiating on the reason they lost. One texted me saying "I haven't seen a hometown (hometown refs) like this since last time Wyoming played BYU." I can see why some fans are upset, but we definelty out played them and there were bad calls both ways. If anything, we were the ones that shot ourselves in the foot over and over in the redzone. We should have won by more making their fans not even be able to say bad officiating costed them the game!
Perhaps they missed the holding on the last three plays of their last drive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 17th, 2019, 11:16 am

Donman wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:11 am
ThunderAggie wrote:A lot of my extended family are Cowboy fans and they are SUPER MAD and blame the officiating on the reason they lost. One texted me saying "I haven't seen a hometown (hometown refs) like this since last time Wyoming played BYU." I can see why some fans are upset, but we definelty out played them and there were bad calls both ways. If anything, we were the ones that shot ourselves in the foot over and over in the redzone. We should have won by more making their fans not even be able to say bad officiating costed them the game!
Perhaps they missed the holding on the last three plays of their last drive.

Actually kinda funny. They said the holding on the same drive on their big punt return was a "phantom hold" and another reason they lost.

Donman

Post by Donman » November 17th, 2019, 11:21 am

I didn't see that. I liked that call though :)

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 17th, 2019, 12:06 pm

dogie wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

I don’t think the horsecollar call on Metzenheimer was the correct call. Kevin had a hold of the runner with one hand down around the waist and with the other hand on the shoulder pad flap that covers the deltoid. His grasp was outside the shirt and not inside the collar or sleeve. The runner twisted and contorted himself to get out of the grasp and it looked awkward but it was not a horsecollar tackle. That play, coupled with the pass interference call on the very next play gave Wyoming 30 yards and a touchdown a couple plays later. Two horrible calls in a row.

The only thing worse than the refs was the clueless commentary and explanation of the calls by the announcers.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Eutaw St. Aggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 17th, 2019, 12:43 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 17th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Blaming the refs: the siren song of losers.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 7:07 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 12:43 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:

Not sure what the o-lineman was doing there. He just needed to maintain his block but not push him 10 yards down the field. Negated what was a flat out dime by love.

Olderthandirt

Post by Olderthandirt » November 17th, 2019, 9:34 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2019, 10:57 pm
While we were all upset about the pass interference call against us in the second quarter, we have to also admit the pass interference on Wyoming in the third was bad too and should have been offensive on us.
Same ref called both of those PI calls. They were both horrendous.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 17th, 2019, 10:02 pm

If the ref missed Mariner pushing off but saw the Wyo CB falling down, it did look like Mariner was tripped and that could be viewed as PI.

Regardless, we were burned by bad calls in this game. We've been burned by bad calls in many other past games. A few bounced our way this weekend.

So if a call was bad in our favor- I don't care. This isn't some story from "New Era" where we do "the honorable thing" and go to the official and say "No sir, it was out on us".

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 17th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 10:02 pm
If the ref missed Mariner pushing off but saw the Wyo CB falling down, it did look like Mariner was tripped and that could be viewed as PI.

Regardless, we were burned by bad calls in this game. We've been burned by bad calls in many other past games. A few bounced our way this weekend.

So if a call was bad in our favor- I don't care. This isn't some story from "New Era" where we do "the honorable thing" and go to the official and say "No sir, it was out on us".
There was calls on both teams that were questionable I think in the end it pretty much evened itself out. Even if they want to sit and complain about it is what it is and we're not handing back the victory. There were several times in that game where henniger was getting dragged down trying to get to the quarterback right in front of the ref and they didn't call it.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 17th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:07 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 12:43 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:

Not sure what the o-lineman was doing there. He just needed to maintain his block but not push him 10 yards down the field. Negated what was a flat out dime by love.
That's probably the biggest argument for the Aggies huddling. :lol: So Love can talk the O lineman and remind them this is a "RPO-That means Run or Pass. Keep your asses close the LOS" :bangwall: :bangwall: I know offensive lineman are the smartest guys on the field but its really tough not to keep on a guy when you got him going the other way.

Ag4life

Post by Ag4life » November 18th, 2019, 10:58 am

Yossarian wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 12:06 pm

I don’t think the horsecollar call on Metzenheimer was the correct call. Kevin had a hold of the runner with one hand down around the waist and with the other hand on the shoulder pad flap that covers the deltoid. His grasp was outside the shirt and not inside the collar or sleeve. The runner twisted and contorted himself to get out of the grasp and it looked awkward but it was not a horsecollar tackle. That play, coupled with the pass interference call on the very next play gave Wyoming 30 yards and a touchdown a couple plays later. Two horrible calls in a row.

The only thing worse than the refs was the clueless commentary and explanation of the calls by the announcers.
horsecollar.jpg
I cropped in, but you can clearly see his hand the whole time on the outside of his jersey.

The other missed PI was the attempted one handed catch by Repp early in the game. He got pulled down well before the ball was even there. It's even more impressive that he almost caught it.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 18th, 2019, 11:20 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
What is New Era?

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 18th, 2019, 11:54 am

Ag4life wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 10:58 am
Yossarian wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 12:06 pm

horsecollar.jpg

I cropped in, but you can clearly see his hand the whole time on the outside of his jersey.

The other missed PI was the attempted one handed catch by Repp early in the game. He got pulled down well before the ball was even there. It's even more impressive that he almost caught it.
according to this SBNation article, effective 2017 NCAA season the penalty is for tackling by the upper back - specifically noting the "nameplate area", which Metz clearly did based on this photo and the replay

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... -penalties

This article in Dallas Morning new corroborates the jersey interpretation
https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school- ... -in-rules/

Here is what I see in the NCAA rule book...
NCAA Rule Book wrote:Horse Collar Tackle
ARTICLE 15. All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of
the shoulder pads or jersey, the nameplate area, or the inside collar of the side
of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the ball carrier down.
This does not apply to a ball carrier, including a potential passer, who is inside
the tackle box (Rule 2-34). Note that the tackle box disintegrates when the ball
leaves it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic