Jim Rome Interview

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bpd

Jim Rome Interview

Post by bpd » November 14th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Craig Smith did an interview with Rome earlier today. Because the athletic department does a poor job of marketing, I found the following link to the interview. I know some you don’t like Rome, I think he is great. Good interview here. Rack him.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show ... raig-smith
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 3):
aggies22aggiesdotcomafausu

Real Life Aggie

Re: Jim Rome Interview

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 14th, 2019, 4:05 pm

I feel fired up after that interview.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Rome still has a radio show? Does Rush Limbaugh still have one too?

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Check the fish wrap!

All the Rome phrases I know are from Phil Hendrie's impersonation of him which used to be hilarious, but I am not sure how many of them Rome really says and which are made up.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Awesome interview. His analogy on being pregnant was hilarious!

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 14th, 2019, 4:40 pm

Give Coach Smith 20 years and we will have Dick Vitale II.

Only based on how excited he is about everything and the almost yell he uses when he talks.
Last edited by frankiesaysrelax on November 14th, 2019, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
BLUERUFiO

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 14th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Hard not to absolutely love the guy...

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 14th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Love Coach Smith. Dude's energy is contagious. Hope we can keep him for a long time.

Go Aggies!

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 14th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Coach Smith is the real deal. If he keeps this up we'll have to name the Spectrum after him.

AggieFella

Post by AggieFella » November 14th, 2019, 8:18 pm

bpd wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 3:40 pm
Craig Smith did an interview with Rome earlier today. Because the athletic department does a poor job of marketing, I found the following link to the interview. I know some you don’t like Rome, I think he is great. Good interview here. Rack him.

It’s literally on every single social media channel they have but ok cool.
These users thanked the author AggieFella for the post:
sneed

bpd

Post by bpd » November 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Lol. They posted on social media after I posted on this board.

dogie

Post by dogie » November 14th, 2019, 11:31 pm

bpd wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Have I mentioned that USU joined the MWC after I spent about five years on this board “encouraging” them (actually haranguing) to do so?
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggiesneed

LoveMyAggies

One way to keep Craig Smith

Post by LoveMyAggies » November 15th, 2019, 7:32 am

Buy him and his wife a 5-Star acomodations honeymoon for Craig and Mrs. Smith to Hawaii.

No really, seems like these things matter to him
These users thanked the author LoveMyAggies for the post:
sneed

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 15th, 2019, 8:23 am

dogie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 11:31 pm
bpd wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm
Have I mentioned that USU joined the MWC after I spent about five years on this board “encouraging” them (actually haranguing) to do so?
So they joined in 2013, but it shows that you joined the boards in '10. I only count 3 years in there.

Either way, good job by you. After reading this comment, I do believe that it was 100% a result of your mighty word that this event transpired. Your are the greatest of our beloved canine companions, dogie.

Real Life Aggie

Re: One way to keep Craig Smith

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 15th, 2019, 8:25 am

Do it. Just do it. Don't let his dreams be dreams.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » November 15th, 2019, 9:09 am

Long time listener, first time caller......classic and Rome didn't even break a chuckle.
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post:
BigBlueDart

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » November 15th, 2019, 9:41 am

Craig Smith is pure gold. So, so good. He's going to get big-time offers from everywhere very soon...better enjoy him while we have him.

And please, AD and admin, give him ALL the money.

GreenAg

Post by GreenAg » November 15th, 2019, 9:42 am

I listen to that interview and come away wondering whether it's plausible - seriously - to win an NCAA Tournament title at USU. With Smith as our HC, I think it might be.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 15th, 2019, 10:08 am

GreenAg wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 9:42 am
I listen to that interview and come away wondering whether it's plausible - seriously - to win an NCAA Tournament title at USU. With Smith as our HC, I think it might be.
If that were to happen we'd have no choice but to rename the Spectrum after him.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » November 15th, 2019, 10:12 am

GreenAg wrote:I listen to that interview and come away wondering whether it's plausible - seriously - to win an NCAA Tournament title at USU. With Smith as our HC, I think it might be.
This is part of what makes him such a great coach. If fans feel like the sky is the limit imagine what the players feel.

Instilling confidence in a team that was picked to be near the bottom of the league last season was crucial to helping the Aggies realize their potential.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 15th, 2019, 10:31 am

usufan1 wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 10:12 am
GreenAg wrote:I listen to that interview and come away wondering whether it's plausible - seriously - to win an NCAA Tournament title at USU. With Smith as our HC, I think it might be.
This is part of what makes him such a great coach. If fans feel like the sky is the limit imagine what the players feel.

Instilling confidence in a team that was picked to be near the bottom of the league last season was crucial to helping the Aggies realize their potential.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yeah, but we haven't held a practice court rushing session. Everyone knows that the best teams practice their court rushing. That's truly visionary. Especially with done with a cram-packed* stadium.

* stadium is considered very full in a "condensed" version, which is to say about 20-30% of its actual capacity, which is to say not full at all

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2019, 10:33 am

Smith is an absolute stud and the best man to be running the basketball program. I enjoy hearing him talk as he so positive and infectious. Here is to hoping he will want to stay here for several more years as I have a feeling if things continue as they are he is going to get a lot of big offers. I am just going to enjoy the ride.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 15th, 2019, 10:35 am

Just watch out for those Minnesota & Nebraska job openings soon.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2019, 10:36 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 10:35 am
Just watch out for those Minnesota & Nebraska job openings soon.
Those would be hard for him to turn down.

satireag
Has thanked: 0

Post by satireag » November 15th, 2019, 10:48 am

What are the chances Jim Rome would do a live broadcast from Logan??? :headscratch:

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 15th, 2019, 11:02 am

Jim Rome has always struck me as a douche. Very little substance, all attitude. The Jim Everett/Chris Evert incident back in the 90s cemented his reputation as a complete tool, and nothing he's done since then has changed that reputation as far as I'm concerned. Never been a fan of commentators who think their hyperbolic black and white opinions are always right and fail to see the grey areas in life.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 15th, 2019, 11:06 am

I like Rome and loved the interview. Epic.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » November 15th, 2019, 11:13 am

I don't know what Coach Smith prioritizes in his choice of employment. But one thing we do have going for us and what he's called out over and over again...is the fan support that we have and the home court advantage we posses when things are rolling. Both Minnesota and Nebraska don't have this...and they may never have it to the extent that we do with the Spectrum. I don't know if that will trump the money they could throw at him.

But basketball to some degree is different than football. You can produce a team that could legitimately play for a title in a conference like the MW, where there is absolutely zero chance at this in football.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy having him here, I hope he decides to stay here for a long time as I think he's a very special coach that could do some amazing things here.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 15th, 2019, 11:50 am

breadysmith wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 11:13 am
I don't know what Coach Smith prioritizes in his choice of employment. But one thing we do have going for us and what he's called out over and over again...is the fan support that we have and the home court advantage we posses when things are rolling. Both Minnesota and Nebraska don't have this...and they may never have it to the extent that we do with the Spectrum. I don't know if that will trump the money they could throw at him.

But basketball to some degree is different than football. You can produce a team that could legitimately play for a title in a conference like the MW, where there is absolutely zero chance at this in football.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy having him here, I hope he decides to stay here for a long time as I think he's a very special coach that could do some amazing things here.

Great post. If he the Aggies have a big year he will for sure get bigger offers. If he does decide to stay he can truly make big waves here. I know we are not Gonzaga, but Few is not making near what he could at other schools and he has consistently delivered really good national contender teams. Not saying Smith could replicate that here, but I do believe the pieces are in place that if he chooses to he could take the program to new heights and essentially be a rock star celebrity in Logan.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » November 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Minnesota maybe, but I wouldn't worry about Nebraska opening up. They just got their dream guy in Hoiberg and he will get plenty of time to work. Plus, I believe they are still paying the last two years of Miles' buyout and signed Hoiberg to a lengthy contract that would include, I assume a pretty big buyout also.

As far as crowds, I dont know the Minnesota situation, but Nebraska has great facilities and when Miles was successful the Pinnacle was rocking, big time. Football school (by reputation, not necessarily results) , but basketball starved for a winner and if it happens they will come.

Bottom line I will be rooting for Pitino Light to be wildly successful at Minnesota and won't worry if Nebraska struggles for a couple of years.
Last edited by Bank Shot on November 15th, 2019, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 11:50 am
breadysmith wrote:

Great post. If he the Aggies have a big year he will for sure get bigger offers. If he does decide to stay he can truly make big waves here. I know we are not Gonzaga, but Few is not making near what he could at other schools and he has consistently delivered really good national contender teams. Not saying Smith could replicate that here, but I do believe the pieces are in place that if he chooses to he could take the program to new heights and essentially be a rock star celebrity in Logan.
It's because Gonzaga is in Spokane. One of the greatest and most underrated cities in the world. You realize the world's fair was in Spokane in 1974 and Coeur D' Alene is about 30 minutes away. Spokane is like a drug once you live there a while.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm
Minnesota maybe, but I wouldn't worry about Nebraska opening up. They just got their dream guy in Hoiberg and he will get plenty of time to work. Plus, I believe they are still paying the last two years of Miles' buyout and signed Hoiberg to a lengthy contract that would include, I assume a pretty big buyout also.

As far as crowds, I dont know the Minnesota situation, but Nebraska has great facilities and when Miles was successful the Pinnacle was rocking, big time. Football school (by reputation, not necessarily results) , but basketball starved for a winner and if it happens they will come.

Bottom line I will be rooting for Pitino Light to be wildly successful at Minnesota and won't worry if Nebraska struggles for a couple of years.
Haha, thanks. I can be an idiot sometimes. I forgot that even happened and was thinking Miles was still at Nebraska.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 15th, 2019, 12:10 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 11:50 am
breadysmith wrote:

It's because Gonzaga is in Spokane. One of the greatest and most underrated cities in the world. You realize the world's fair was in Spokane in 1974 and Coeur D' Alene is about 30 minutes away. Spokane, you will be on drugs once you live there a while.
FIFY
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
ShowMeAggie

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 15th, 2019, 12:26 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote: Spokane is like a drug once you live there a while.
Same can be said for Cache Valley.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » November 15th, 2019, 2:06 pm

bigblue wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 12:26 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote: Spokane is like a drug once you live there a while.
Same can be said for Cache Valley.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Cache Valley doesn’t have the The Thrifty Scotsman. Which is kind of ironic considering the whole Scotsman song and cheer thing.

Locked Previous topicNext topic