If you were hartwell 10 months ago

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Notatrueaggie
Has thanked: 0

If you were hartwell 10 months ago

Post by Notatrueaggie » November 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Well this season has not what I have envisioned it to be. After wake forest I truly thought we would be mw contenders etc. We have progressively gotten worse every game and I don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes but I just feel like things aren’t normal. My question is, if you were hartwell 10 or 11 months ago looking for a coach, would of you still hired Gary? I personally think Gary is a great guy but I think he has lost his fire. Oregon state was rough but really His first stint and Wisconsin was pretty damn good if you really think about it. He turned our program around and he brought the badgers to the conference championship. I am still hesitant on the decision of hiring Gary, but really what were the other legit options. I really hope this season turns out better and I hope everyone is happy at the end of the year but IMO I think we’re on a downward spiral. Anyways go aggies and we have basketball right?

NavyBlue

Re: If you were hartwell 10 months ago

Post by NavyBlue » November 5th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm
Well this season has not what I have envisioned it to be. After wake forest I truly thought we would be mw contenders etc. We have progressively gotten worse every game and I don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes but I just feel like things aren’t normal. My question is, if you were hartwell 10 or 11 months ago looking for a coach, would of you still hired Gary? I personally think Gary is a great guy but I think he has lost his fire. Oregon state was rough but really His first stint and Wisconsin was pretty damn good if you really think about it. He turned our program around and he brought the badgers to the conference championship. I am still hesitant on the decision of hiring Gary, but really what were the other legit options. I really hope this season turns out better and I hope everyone is happy at the end of the year but IMO I think we’re on a downward spiral. Anyways go aggies and we have basketball right?
I agree 100%, it appears that we are on a downward trajectory and have returned to our place as the #3 team in the state. That really sucks. But there are people on here that seem to think we are bad fans if we don't just accept how things are.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 5th, 2019, 3:01 pm

knee jerk.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
BadElbow

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » November 5th, 2019, 3:03 pm

NavyBlue wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 2:53 pm
Notatrueaggie wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 2:40 pm
I agree 100%, it appears that we are on a downward trajectory and have returned to our place as the #3 team in the state. That really sucks. But there are people on here that seem to think we are bad fans if we don't just accept how things are.
I don’t think we have to just accept how things are, I just don’t think 8 games are enough to know if Gary is the right coach or not. We can’t just switch coaches every time our program runs into some adversary. There were a lot of people calling for Matt Wells to be fired after his 3-9 season but he turned it around and eventually led us to one of the best seasons in school history.

I think it will take a couple seasons at least until we really know if Gary is the right fit or not.
These users thanked the author USUstudent13 for the post:
ProvoAggie

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 5th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Honestly, if I were Hartwell I probably would have caved to the same pressure from Laub to hire him. As an AD you are a steward of the department but reality is that fans and boosters have been there before and will be there after your time as steward so you have to take that into consideration.

I do think I would have still interviewed potential candidates, including Andersen, as part of the process and if none stood head and shoulders above the rest I would have moved forward with GA since he has familiarity. If a candidate did stand out, then I would have invited Laub to meet them in a casual setting and see if he could not be swayed about his desire to have GA back.

Again, the big concern is not necessarily the 4-4 record - it is the appalling descent this team has made over the course of those 8 games. It is the lack of preparation, fire, and effort being shown each week. These were not traits of a GA led team before. We had come to live with the boneheaded clock management or poor in-game decision making that sometimes came with Gary but one thing you could not question was his passion and love for the kids and their love and willingness to play all out for him. That was the trademark, that was his selling point - take that away and what are we left with? That is the fear some fans are having after witnessing these first 8 games.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
MachismoBLUERUFiO

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » November 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Hartwell was strong-armed into the GA hire by boosters. John had a short-list and it more than likely had Neal Brown's name at the very top due to their relationship from John's tenure at Troy.

Mark Helfrich (who had coached an Oregon team to the National Championship in 2014) even showed great interest in the job per the placement firm that Hartwell hired to help him fill the position. He would've been inheriting a good team and it could help him segway back into college football.

I know a lot of politics and consideration go into these decisions, but I will never believe that GA was on Hartwell's radar until someone with a lot of money forced John's hand.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm

I wouldn’t have hired a stupid search firm in the first place. What a colossal waste of money. It’s Hartwells job to find a coach, not sub contract it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » November 5th, 2019, 3:49 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm
I wouldn’t have hired a stupid search firm in the first place. What a colossal waste of money. It’s Hartwells job to find a coach, not sub contract it out.

Didn't the search firm bring us Craig Smith?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 5th, 2019, 4:07 pm

USUstudent13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

The search firm is the only way to contact Craig and hire him? Hartwell was incapable of finding him on his own ?

I get it. Aggie fans LOVEEEEEE the search firm. I don’t.

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » November 5th, 2019, 4:10 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 4:07 pm
USUstudent13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

The search firm is the only way to contact Craig and hire him? Hartwell was incapable of finding him on his own ?

Haha no but it helped find him, I don't see a problem with looking for help.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » November 5th, 2019, 4:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I think the search firm is an epic waste of resources as well and it should be the responsibility of the AD to reach out to candidates, gauge their level of interest, and set up interviews.

I believe the reason Hartwell uses the service is because the search firm, in turn, will promote Hartwell when bigger schools are looking to fill vacant AD posts. Very quid pro quo.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » November 5th, 2019, 4:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I think the search firm is an epic waste of resources as well and it should be the responsibility of the AD to reach out to candidates, gauge their level of interest, and set up interviews.

I believe the reason Hartwell uses the service is because the search firm, in turn, will promote Hartwell when bigger schools are looking to fill vacant AD posts. Very quid pro quo.

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » November 5th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 4:16 pm
2004AG wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I disagree, ultimately if a coach succeeds or fails the AD has to take the responsibility for that, not the search firm.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 5th, 2019, 4:51 pm

Ten months ago I was for bringing Jay Hill from Ogden, same today. He is an up and comer and hungry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
Machismo

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » November 5th, 2019, 5:07 pm

Search firms give deniability, if your coach or the coaches you are looking at are under contract, it's a way to contact them without really contacting them. It's how the game is played now.
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
NVAggie

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 5th, 2019, 5:11 pm

TrueAG wrote:Search firms give deniability, if your coach or the coaches you are looking at are under contract, it's a way to contact them without really contacting them. It's how the game is played now.
Yes. The term “search firm” is a bit of a misnomer. They act more as an agent. They can reach out to people that USU cannot.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
NVAggie

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 5th, 2019, 5:20 pm

2004AG wrote:
USUstudent13 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I never understood the love for the search firm. We could have hired Gary back without it. Our other noteworthy search firm was when he made the out of the box hire to give the job to a 14 year assistant in basketball.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 5th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Ten months ago I was for bringing Jay Hill from Ogden, same today. He is an up and comer and hungry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It should have been him. He might be available in a few years next time we need a coach. The one good thing about byu starting to win is they won't be going after him.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 5th, 2019, 5:25 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 5:11 pm
TrueAG wrote:Search firms give deniability, if your coach or the coaches you are looking at are under contract, it's a way to contact them without really contacting them. It's how the game is played now.
Yes. The term “search firm” is a bit of a misnomer. They act more as an agent. They can reach out to people that USU cannot.

Gary Andersen? Tim Duryea? You know more than I with your insider knowledge, but you can probably see why the search firm gets mocked on here with who we hire after hearing about "search firms."

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 5th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Search firms are standard operating procedure but the decision still lands with the AD so all they are as an intermediary. Being bothered by them being used is obviously an individual opinion but for me it is a who cares. I have used them professionally so I get how they can help a process.

As for Gary and this season, it seems to me that we are about where most of the national prognosticators picked us as a middle of the road team with an inexperienced offense and a new coaching staff. On the other hand, I agree with those that have said Gary seems to have no fire. His first round here it was what defined him. I am hoping it is happening behind the scenes.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 5th, 2019, 6:39 pm

I have no inside information regarding the "Fire" within Gary Andersen so I'm in zero position to pass judgement on the fire within him. I've no access to coaching staff meetings, game planning protocol or close up and personal with G A at practices.

THIS ISN'T THE SAME TEAM THAT PLAYED WAKE FOREST TO START THE SEASON> and that would be enough said.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 6th, 2019, 5:18 am

We are literally the only team in the country that would have hired Gary. The only one. With the way he left Wisconsin and the train wreck that was Oregon State, the man was not hireable. If it was not for his good friends at Utah and super booster here, he would not be employed in college football. I thought it was a mistake then and still do. I get listening to Laub, we owe him everything. Interference like that in a search will rarely lead to the best outcome, and out didn’t.

I’ll ride the Gary train because I have to and I hope like hell that we can get this thing turned around because we have a lot of talent on this team and I hate getting killed on the field. I can handle losing, but being embarrassed by teams you should compete with sucks.

We did not pursue Jay Hill at all. I know a member of the Weber staff and I asked him if he was nervous about losing Hill and/or his job and he laughed and said Hill had reached out to USU and basically got put on hold. Big mistake on our part.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
MachismoTrueBlueAggie123

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic