Gary Andersen

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie

Re: Gary Andersen

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 4th, 2019, 4:28 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hunter Hill is on the roster and has traveled with the team. Unless something drastic were to happen, this would be a redshirt season for him at this point.

Yes, he was very highly rated. Yes, we only went after him after Coach A had taken over.
Cause of the new rule, he could play in the last four games and keep his redshirt.
True, but I was including a bowl game as a potential fifth game.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 4:38 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:28 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:07 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Hunter Hill is on the roster and has traveled with the team. Unless something drastic were to happen, this would be a redshirt season for him at this point.

Yes, he was very highly rated. Yes, we only went after him after Coach A had taken over.
Cause of the new rule, he could play in the last four games and keep his redshirt.
True, but I was including a bowl game as a potential fifth game.
We need to win two more for that to be an issue first. Play him the next three games. If we go 0-3 making New Mexico our season finale, play him. Or play him if we go 1-2 needing the New Mexico win. Sit him if we go 2-1 or 3-0 assuring we would have a bowl game to worry about.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 4:50 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Also what were you expecting a 10-2 season? Most had us going 6-6 to 8-4 and both are still possible at this point
And so are 5-7 and 4-8.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 4th, 2019, 6:09 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 4:50 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Also what were you expecting a 10-2 season? Most had us going 6-6 to 8-4 and both are still possible at this point
And so are 5-7 and 4-8.
All of you are quitters and have a quitter mentality. 10-4 is still on the table.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 4th, 2019, 6:23 pm

isrred wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm
BeNo wrote:I see. They have quit on him now. I just thought you all were projecting your negativity and insane expectations to be 8-0 right now with a revamped offensive unit.

Woodward has to make a decision in his best interest. I don’t think that qualifies as quitting on Gary. Or Leilua for that matter.

Only real quitters are those that have given up hope at this point.
Can you point out some examples of things that instill confidence and hope?

I can give you punting, that is looking really good right now. I can also give you the return game with Scarver.

If people quit on this team they would not have sat there last night waiting for us to sort some sort of life. I have not seen one poster that has thought we would be 8-0 right now, but we should be 6-2 at best or 5-3 at worse. While we are still at.500, there is no sign of a pulse from the staff or on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not pleased with how terrible we have looked this season, but this is just an unrealistic expectation. We are 1-3 on the road against teams with a combined record of 29-4. Three of those teams are ranked, including the #1 team in the country. We could legitimately be a GOOD team (which we are not) and still have gone 0-4 in those games.
Is it unrealistic to think we could have beaten Wake Forest? That is one more win putting us at 5 on the season.

AFA is very decent this year, but is it unrealistic to expect us to compete? Even a loss there would have put us at 5-2

BYU was a team we demolished 45-20 last year. We should not be 53 points worse this year than last. This is a game we should have won which gives us 6 wins.

Are any of those expectations over the top? Even had we lost to either Wake or BYU and AFA we would be an acceptable 5-3. I just don’t see where my expectations are out of whack.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 6:28 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:23 pm

BYU was a team we demolished 45-20 last year. We should not be 53 points worse this year than last. This is a game we should have won which gives us 6 wins.
An easy way to explain 53 points worse is being 6 turnovers worse.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » November 4th, 2019, 6:38 pm

dyedblue wrote:
isrred wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
BeNo wrote:I see. They have quit on him now. I just thought you all were projecting your negativity and insane expectations to be 8-0 right now with a revamped offensive unit.

Woodward has to make a decision in his best interest. I don’t think that qualifies as quitting on Gary. Or Leilua for that matter.

I can give you punting, that is looking really good right now. I can also give you the return game with Scarver.

If people quit on this team they would not have sat there last night waiting for us to sort some sort of life. I have not seen one poster that has thought we would be 8-0 right now, but we should be 6-2 at best or 5-3 at worse. While we are still at.500, there is no sign of a pulse from the staff or on the field.

I'm not pleased with how terrible we have looked this season, but this is just an unrealistic expectation. We are 1-3 on the road against teams with a combined record of 29-4. Three of those teams are ranked, including the #1 team in the country. We could legitimately be a GOOD team (which we are not) and still have gone 0-4 in those games.
Is it unrealistic to think we could have beaten Wake Forest? That is one more win putting us at 5 on the season.

AFA is very decent this year, but is it unrealistic to expect us to compete? Even a loss there would have put us at 5-2

Are any of those expectations over the top? Even had we lost to either Wake or BYU and AFA we would be an acceptable 5-3. I just don’t see where my expectations are out of whack.

Great argument if you completely ignore that this team did beat a ranked SDSU team on the road. How many ranked teams has USU beat on the road in the history of the program? My guess is less than 5. I'm not happy at all with the last two weeks but my god it is only been two weeks! What a candy assed fan base! Lets see how the last four games play out before we drop the program whattya think?

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm

When was the last time USU was blown out 3 games in a row? LSU is understandable, but those last should have been competitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » November 4th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm
When was the last time USU was blown out 3 games in a row? LSU is understandable, but those last should have been competitive.

Didn't USU beat Nevada 36-10 after LSU? I guess when you are looking for something to complain about entire games just disappear?

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » November 4th, 2019, 8:54 pm

I will give Gary the benefit of every possible reasonable doubt for as long as reasonably possible. The man has done more for Utah State football than any coach in our history. This season he opened his wallet and made a huge personal financial donation to renovate the locker rooms. Anyone care to venture what that cost? He's given his heart and soul to this program. It should be obvious to even a casual observer: we don't have the horses this year that we had last. That isn't GA's fault. Hell, without him would we have Warren, Repp and Mariner? Highly unlikely.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post (total 3):
NVAggieAgMacFloridaAggie13

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 4th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Didn't USU beat Nevada 36-10 after LSU? I guess when you are looking for something to complain about entire games just disappear?

Ooops, my bad. How about 3 of 4.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Out of every coach that went to TT. The one that we are missing the most is not Wells. It's not Yost. It's Scholz.

I firmly believe if we were a healthy team things could have been different against BYU & AFA. There are just so many injuries, that it's really unfair to judge Gary on this. A major part of the role of a strength & conditioning coach is to get guys ready to play, with the requisite conditioning, range of motion, flexibility, overall resilience, etc. and I suspect Scholz played a big role in keeping guys healthy.

It's not just 1 or 2 injuries. Last year the big injuries were Dax and Bond, one of which happened later in the year.

This year, we have injuries all over the place, specifically in positions where we were already somewhat thin and/or inexperienced. Even guys that are playing aren't exactly healthy.

We are comparing a Wells team that was more or less healthy to a team with several experienced seniors- to a Andersen team playing a 4th string running back and down to what appears to be pretty deep down the depth chart on the OL. We have several injuries in an already depleted secondary- oh and by the way we have lost the anchor of our defense for the season (and his promising career could be over before it begins)

It's not an excuse. Theoretically we would have next man up- but it's also just not a fair comparison.

It sucks that we have so many injuries, but it's the hand we are dealt.

(I'm not faulting the current S&C Coach- I'm saying that Scholz was very good)

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 4th, 2019, 9:42 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 6:09 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
And so are 5-7 and 4-8.
All of you are quitters and have a quitter mentality. 10-4 is still on the table.
Ok tool man

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 4th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:54 pm
I will give Gary the benefit of every possible reasonable doubt for as long as reasonably possible. The man has done more for Utah State football than any coach in our history. This season he opened his wallet and made a huge personal financial donation to renovate the locker rooms. Anyone care to venture what that cost? He's given his heart and soul to this program. It should be obvious to even a casual observer: we don't have the horses this year that we had last. That isn't GA's fault. Hell, without him would we have Warren, Repp and Mariner? Highly unlikely.
Good perspective, SJ.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 4th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 8:54 pm
Don't try and bring in reason to the village idiots! They want blood by hell we're 3-1 in conference and thats just not good enough for this powerhouse program!. I mean good hell our fans complain about spending $100 for season tickets

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 4th, 2019, 9:53 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm
Out of every coach that went to TT. The one that we are missing the most is not Wells. It's not Yost. It's Scholz.

I firmly believe if we were a healthy team things could have been different against BYU & AFA. There are just so many injuries, that it's really unfair to judge Gary on this. A major part of the role of a strength & conditioning coach is to get guys ready to play, with the requisite conditioning, range of motion, flexibility, overall resilience, etc. and I suspect Scholz played a big role in keeping guys healthy.

It's not just 1 or 2 injuries. Last year the big injuries were Dax and Bond, one of which happened later in the year.

This year, we have injuries all over the place, specifically in positions where we were already somewhat thin and/or inexperienced. Even guys that are playing aren't exactly healthy.

We are comparing a Wells team that was more or less healthy to a team with several experienced seniors- to a Andersen team playing a 4th string running back and down to what appears to be pretty deep down the depth chart on the OL. We have several injuries in an already depleted secondary- oh and by the way we have lost the anchor of our defense for the season (and his promising career could be over before it begins)

It's not an excuse. Theoretically we would have next man up- but it's also just not a fair comparison.

Injuries are the lamest excuse of them all. Every single team has them. We aren't unusual. You know the team that just beat the hell out of us? Guess what. Their best offensive player had a season ending injury early in the year. Oh, and the QB that our defense helped look like a Heisman contender, he's a 3rd string freshman.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 4th, 2019, 10:42 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:53 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Injuries are the lamest excuse of them all. Every single team has them. We aren't unusual. You know the team that just beat the hell out of us? Guess what. Their best offensive player had a season ending injury early in the year. Oh, and the QB that our defense helped look like a Heisman contender, he's a 3rd string freshman.
With how far you just moved those goal posts no wonder USU kickers struggle.

We have been comparing Wells to Gary. Not USU to BYU. BYU answered that on the field. So it's pointless to go down that route. Even if we did go down that route-did BYU lose all of the same key positions we did?

Do you think Wells beats CSU or Wyo last year with a similarly hobbled OL and without Woody? We barely beat them last year as it is, yet you want to tell me you think we STILL beat them without Woody in 2018? Heck no we dont! Your argument would be a lot stronger if you conceded that injuries affects game play.

I already said it wasn't an excuse, but it IS a variable- and an important variable that could explain some lack of performance. You want to get so down into the X's and O's. You want to just assume that the coaches suck.

By your logic who gives a crap that Queta is injured. We should still be #15 without Queta and if we aren't #15 without Queta then it's a massive fail from expectations- and if Sam Merrill gets injured and we are mediocre this year in hoops Craig Smith should be fired. That's how absurd this rush to judgment without considering all of the variables is.

Last year (2018) as Bryce Harper said the Nationals were playing with the Syracuse Sky Chiefs. In 2018 the Nationals didn't even make the playoffs because we had 10 guys out. This year, we're healthy and we win the World Series.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 4th, 2019, 10:43 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
And so are 5-7 and 4-8.
What in the hell are you smoking man??? cuz I need some, there aint no way in hell we go 10-4 are you even real.... The best this team does is 6-6 maybe. Have you watched the last 5 games, we looked like crap in all 5. The last 2 we look like a dumpster fire.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 4th, 2019, 10:55 pm

AggieSox wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
And so are 5-7 and 4-8.
What in the hell are you smoking man??? cuz I need some, there aint no way in hell we go 10-4 are you even real.... The best this team does is 6-6 maybe. Have you watched the last 5 games, we looked like crap in all 5. The last 2 we look like a dumpster fire.

This to me is the problem, instead of improving Aggies are getting worse, injuries no excuse all teams have them. The lack of improvement in any area is a reflection of attitude, desire and coaching, or lack thereof.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 4th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Imakeitrain:
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 10:42 pm

I firmly believe if we were a healthy team things could have been different against BYU & AFA. There are just so many injuries, that it's really unfair to judge Gary on this.
Also Imakeitrain:
Imakeitrain wrote:

We have been comparing Wells to Gary. Not USU to BYU. BYU answered that on the field. So it's pointless to go down that route.
:noidea:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 5th, 2019, 4:50 am

AgMac wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 11:02 pm
Imakeitrain:
Imakeitrain wrote:

I firmly believe if we were a healthy team things could have been different against BYU & AFA. There are just so many injuries, that it's really unfair to judge Gary on this.
Also Imakeitrain:
Imakeitrain wrote:

We have been comparing Wells to Gary. Not USU to BYU. BYU answered that on the field. So it's pointless to go down that route.
:noidea:

My claim is “Widespread injuries are an improtant variable that should be considered in comparing Andersen to Wells because maybe things could have been different”

Which is an extremely hedged statement.
Do you seriously not think if we had a healthier team anything COULD have been
different? Nothing?

So it’s your claim that if we had a fully healthy Oline, fully healthy woody, fully healthy secondary, healthy Fua, etc. both the afa and BYU games occur in the exact same manner? (im not asking if you think we win those games)

I really think your argument would be stronger if you conceded that injuries are a variable that should be considered. Unless by calling injuries a lame excuse you were making a bad pun, I think they should be factored in.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 5th, 2019, 5:09 am

How many excuses are we going to make? I don’t know BYU’s team but I do know they were playing their second and third string QBs - a major position - and their best defender has been out for the season. Every team has injuries.

Gary has sat their like a bump on a log. A little fire, passion, or change of approach would go a long ways with fans. As it is, he looks like Tim Duryea on the sidelines with no life or emotion and pretty much says there is nothing we can do during the season, wait until next year to make change.

That is a loser mentality. You’ll find through the years that I am not one to call for heads, but Sanford’s offense sucks and has since the second half at SDSU and yet we keep doing the same thing over, and over, and over. If Gary just sits there and lets it happen that’s fine, the captain will go down with the ship. How is it that every team can make adjustments in games and within a season, but we can’t?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 5th, 2019, 7:57 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 5:09 am
How many excuses are we going to make? I don’t know BYU’s team but I do know they were playing their second and third string QBs - a major position - and their best defender has been out for the season. Every team has injuries.

Gary has sat their like a bump on a log. A little fire, passion, or change of approach would go a long ways with fans. As it is, he looks like Tim Duryea on the sidelines with no life or emotion and pretty much says there is nothing we can do during the season, wait until next year to make change.

That is a loser mentality. You’ll find through the years that I am not one to call for heads, but Sanford’s offense sucks and has since the second half at SDSU and yet we keep doing the same thing over, and over, and over. If Gary just sits there and lets it happen that’s fine, the captain will go down with the ship. How is it that every team can make adjustments in games and within a season, but we can’t?

Do we seriously not understand the difference between an "excuse" and a "factor"?

An excuse would be: The team is justified in losing because of injuries alone.

A factor: We do have injuries and that is one of many factors that is contributing to less than stellar play.

I would also say "turnovers are a factor"- but obviously this isn't an excuse. It's a statement of fact "we have turnovers" and then using that fact to form an opinion "turnovers are a factor in us losing games".

But please continue to define my argument for me that I'm "making an excuse". No I'm not making an excuse. I'm pointing out one factor of many factors. The only reason I pointed out this one factor, is we've gone over all of the other faotrs ad nauseum. We all know that there was a struggle with snaps, catching balls that hit people in the hands, playcalling, defensive scheme changes, tackling, pass protection, run blocking, turnovers, etc. We all seem to know and agree those are issues (factors) contributing to us losing games and underperforming in games we win.

Yet when I point out another factor (injuries to star players/veteran contributors at nearly every position group and cutting deep into the depth chart in some) you claim i'm "just making excuses"...no sir.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 5th, 2019, 8:10 am

The thing is, our offense and defense have looked good at times this year. So what is the difference? Are teams scouting us better and exploiting our weaknesses? Are injuries and lack of depth causing problems?

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » November 5th, 2019, 10:29 am

dyedblue wrote:
isrred wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

I didn't say that 5-3 was an unrealistic expectation. But saying 5-3 is where we should be AT WORST is unrealistic.

Locked Previous topicNext topic