The Warren Effect

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

The Warren Effect

Post by Aglicious » November 4th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Obviously there are numerous areas we could point to on offense and draw conclusions but one that seems rather glaring is how different this team performs on offense when Warren is healthy or when he at least gets significant touches in a game. I love Bright's heart and how hard he plays but we have always been a better offense when we have multiple RBs that can carry the load.

Warren's #'s & team output
  • @WF - 20 touches, 142 total yards - O puts up 596 yards on the road against what is now a ranked team (should have won)
  • SB - 11 touches, 132 total yards - O puts up 717 yards against inferior team as they should
  • @SDSU - 20 touches, 114 total yards - O puts up 375 yards on the road against what is currently the #12 ranked D in the land and team wins
  • CSU - 6 touches, 24 total yards - O puts up 444 yards against one of the worst D's in FBS and luckily Bright steps up in the game to carry the extra load after losing Warren early. This is the first game where we see signs of a truly struggling offense versus a poor defense. Thank goodness the weather was poor in this one because it forced the staff to commit to the run despite not having Warren available and Bright delivered.
  • @LSU - 0 touches - O puts up a measly 159 yards against a very good D and we get killed.
  • UNR - 13 touches, 84 total yards - O puts up 418 yards against a D that is worse than CSU's. We win convincingly but it is hardly impressive on the offensive side. Still, over 6/ypc is outstanding.
  • @AFA - 3 touches, 35 total yards - O puts up a season worst 128 yards against a top 25 D. Warren doesn't really play but still accounts for nearly 1/3 of our team's yards on 3 touches. sad.
  • BYU - 2 touches, 2 total yards - O puts up 521 yards but team gets whooped. BYU recognized the success they were having on the ground (5.3/ypc) and took advantage by rushing 42 times in the game. USU not only failed to game plan to attack one of the worst rushing defenses in the country they also failed to recognize that their own RB's were averaging 5.0/ypc yet they only gave the RB's 20 carries in the game. Some of this was score dictated late in the game but it was still a failure with it only being a 7 point game at half. With Warren once again gone early, the staff chose to not follow the CSU game plan and instead largely abandoned the run. Too bad we didn't have poor weather again and also too bad that the staff didn't move on to another back like Nawahine early on after Warren went out.

It's not hard to see the correlation of team success and offensive success in relation to Warren's involvement and touches. In the last 3 losses he has had 0, 3, and 2 touches respectively. I'm not sure how banged up he is but if we could get 15-20 touches out of him in the remaining games I like our chances. If he is not available then something needs to be changed or added in the lineup to make up for it. Bright can't give CSU type performances for 4 straight games so if Warren can't go then the staff needs to find RB#2 and let them have a fair crack at it. If that is Nawahine, then let's see what he brings when given a bigger role. If it is Burt, then let's see the same.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
USU78BustaMcNuttAgMac

brian5562

Re: The Warren Effect

Post by brian5562 » November 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm

The in ability to consistently run the ball well is my biggest concern of the team. This has caused the coaches to not stay committed to the run game. Love has been less than stellar and a lot of this has to do with the trend you pointed out in the run game.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 4th, 2019, 7:40 pm

I agree, the stats back it up and the way he runs is very exciting and motivating to the team and fans.

If you watch the San Diego game and the wake forest game he was unreal and very fun to watch. He had big play after a big play and almost never goes down on first contact. Bright on the other hand goes down very easily and almost seems afraid of contact

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 4th, 2019, 7:50 pm

I disagree. I think G is more than capable and has shown it. He should have got a TD on the blown dead screen play last game. He also has more speed than Warren but to say he doesn’t run strong or hard is ridiculous. The biggest problem is the Oline. Did you see Hans breakdown of Kyler Hack etc?!? Wow. This is THE problem with our offense.

Also what’s the rule on ineligible down field?! On the TD to Mariner he was 4 yards beyond LOS.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
AggieSox

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » November 4th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Ineligible downfield is 3 yards beyond LOS.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 4th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Slim80 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:07 pm
And apparently the ref has a full 30 seconds after the touchdown to determine whether he's going to throw the flag.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 5th, 2019, 12:03 am

I had the same thought. Why did they wait so long to make the call? Go Aggies!

Stormblessed

Post by Stormblessed » November 5th, 2019, 9:10 am

AggieSox wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 7:40 pm
I agree, the stats back it up and the way he runs is very exciting and motivating to the team and fans.

If you watch the San Diego game and the wake forest game he was unreal and very fun to watch. He had big play after a big play and almost never goes down on first contact. Bright on the other hand goes down very easily and almost seems afraid of contact
You got to be kidding me! Complaining about Bright???? He put the team on his back and won the CSU game by grinding it with hard run after hard run. His downside has been fumbles early in some games, not lack of grit. Of course he is also a 25 lbs or so lighter than Warren, so Bright is going to be trying to dodge tacklers a bit more rather than trying to run straight through them.
These users thanked the author Stormblessed for the post:
BearLakeMonster

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 5th, 2019, 10:44 am

Slim80 wrote:
Thanks. I think it was Hack???

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 5th, 2019, 10:48 am

Stormblessed wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 9:10 am
AggieSox wrote:

You got to be kidding me! Complaining about Bright???? He put the team on his back and won the CSU game by grinding it with hard run after hard run. His downside has been fumbles early in some games, not lack of grit. Of course he is also a 25 lbs or so lighter than Warren, so Bright is going to be trying to dodge tacklers a bit more rather than trying to run straight through them.
He also converted from a receiver last summer so he's shiftier and faster than the average RB

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 5th, 2019, 11:09 am

Stormblessed wrote:
November 5th, 2019, 9:10 am
AggieSox wrote:

Watching from afar there appears to be no better teammate you could have than Bright. He is smart, a leader, a great blocker, great attitude and plays with his heart on his sleeve. He's also highly underrated. Of course, Warren's injury hurts because a spread needs 2 backs to stay fresh and Burt has been servicable the last couple of weeks but is a big dropoff.

Bright is going to be the hardest Aggie to replace next year aside from Woody.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
BearLakeMonsterAglicious

The Truth

Post by The Truth » November 5th, 2019, 1:05 pm

AggieSox wrote:

:headscratch: :bananafire: i suggest you go watch the csu game (or any game bright has played rb over the past two years) and get back to me.

anyway, i believe the point of the op was to point out the need for warren or an effective substitute as a 2nd rb - not suggest bright is doing a poor job. with warren out it seems the coaches have just gone with bright as the sole rb and not run the ball the way they would if they had 2 rbs alternating.
These users thanked the author The Truth for the post (total 2):
Aggie19AggiesForever

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 5th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Slim80 wrote:
But go back and look at one of byu's last touchdowns and they had an offensive lineman standing at the goal line when the original line of scrimmage was the 6 or 7. Hmmmm. Strange calls or lack thereof indeed.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 6th, 2019, 5:39 am

Bright is one of the best things we have going for us. He reeled off 5.5 yards per carry and yet we threw the ball 49 tiles against a crappy run defense that was dropping 8 nearly every play. Chew on that for a minute.

Bright has been misused the entire year. He was essentially benched before the CSU game and when forced into action because of injured answered the bell in fine fashion. He has been forced to run between the tackles all year long and that is not his game. Dude is a warrior and fumbles way less than our quarterback.

BYU constantly got their players in space and caused us all sorts of problems with sweeps, reverses, screens, parts to the flats and deep routes. I’d kill for their gameplay to be implemented. We tried a few things early and then went back to our usual game plan. We have Thompkins, Scarver, Nathan (who was brilliant), and Bright that have an advantage and can make plays happen when they are in space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
NVAggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 6th, 2019, 6:08 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 5:39 am
Bright is one of the best things we have going for us. He reeled off 5.5 yards per carry and yet we threw the ball 49 tiles against a crappy run defense that was dropping 8 nearly every play. Chew on that for a minute.

Bright has been misused the entire year. He was essentially benched before the CSU game and when forced into action because of injured answered the bell in fine fashion. He has been forced to run between the tackles all year long and that is not his game. Dude is a warrior and fumbles way less than our quarterback.

BYU constantly got their players in space and caused us all sorts of problems with sweeps, reverses, screens, parts to the flats and deep routes. I’d kill for their gameplay to be implemented. We tried a few things early and then went back to our usual game plan. We have Thompkins, Scarver, Nathan (who was brilliant), and Bright that have an advantage and can make plays happen when they are in space.

The early fumble could have been a reason they elected not to go to him as often.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 6th, 2019, 10:13 am

Yeah, better to throw 4 interceptions.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
treesap32ChicAggie

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 7th, 2019, 5:06 pm

I know they are trying to save Enoch Nawahine for next year, but I saw screw that. That kid has shown he can play and he and Bright and, when he can, Warren are needed to carry the rock for USU. BTW, I'm guessing the Chase Nelson experiment at QB has turned out exactly as we thought it might-- a dud. Play him at wideout like DJ. Let him make some plays in space.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » November 8th, 2019, 8:20 am

i didn't think Chase was ever a QB experiment, i thought it was a RB?!?!?!
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
NVAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 8th, 2019, 9:22 am

With a name like Chase, it was worth giving him a try at running back.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 9th, 2019, 5:36 am

With hope we under utilized our RBs, Dave Nawahine for the future. Bright can easily handle 8 carries per game, even if they are all up the gut.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 10th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Well, almost the 15-20 touches for Warren. 14 touches, 61 yards, 1 TD and it was close enough for the win.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 11th, 2019, 7:45 am

Aglicious wrote:
November 10th, 2019, 9:46 pm
Well, almost the 15-20 touches for Warren. 14 touches, 61 yards, 1 TD and it was close enough for the win.
He was huge in this victory. I thought he ran really hard. He just gives the team a different look than Bright. Bright also did really well and they complement each other. I thought the catch by Warren on the wheel route was fantastic. Loved how he was able to catch it in bounds as the pass was a little too close to the sideline. The wheel route is one of my favorite plays and it was awesome to see.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 11th, 2019, 11:22 am

Brights first TD of the game was one of his best runs ever.

Donman

Post by Donman » November 11th, 2019, 12:32 pm

We need to put Warren in on short yardage situations. He gets more push and is able to move pile forward. Bright doesn't have that kind of power. I was surprised we had Bright in during the second to last drive when we got stopped on the 1 for that reason.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 11th, 2019, 12:39 pm

NVAggie wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 9:22 am
With a name like Chase, it was worth giving him a try at running back.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NVAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 11th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 11:22 am
Brights first TD of the game was one of his best runs ever.
Awesome run, I was going crazy at my house. Was just so pleased with his toughness of not going down.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Donman wrote:We need to put Warren in on short yardage situations. He gets more push and is able to move pile forward. Bright doesn't have that kind of power. I was surprised we had Bright in during the second to last drive when we got stopped on the 1 for that reason.
Warren ran it twice from the 2. He couldn’t punch it in.

Locked Previous topicNext topic