Where we are at

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Where we are at

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 10:10 am

This season has largely gone exactly how I expected. A close loss to a decent ACC team, a blow out at LSU, and splitting the rest with some ups and downs. I find it hard to be that upset. No we don't look good, but we have new coaches, a lot of injuries at key positions, and a lot of youth.

Facts:

Over 50% of our players were not on the roster last year. I'm not aware of any team ever having that, but at the very least it's extremely uncommon to have 50 newcomers.

We have beaten BYU 2 out of 3.

Byu beating our depleted team is a big enough win that it might save their coach.

We are firmly in the driver's seat for a bowl. A ten plus win season followed by a bowl season should always be a success at USU.

We have a team full of guys who want to be here and want to play for coach Andersen. We have players who picked usu over USC, Utah, byu, etc.

Utah State will not win the division this year. Probably not next year either. But BYU and Utah fans have been predicting the crumbling of our program to consistent 2-4 win seasons ever since Andersen broke the bowl drought. It's not happening now or any time in the short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 5):
vegasaggieaceofspadeskbBeNoNVAggieJSHarvey

aggieaggie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Where we are at

Post by aggieaggie » November 3rd, 2019, 10:18 am

I am very curious to see how the defense responds to these last 4 games. I think it will say a lot about Ena. I’m not sold on Ena yet.

GA will probably give him a pass even if they play poorly, because Woodward is out and It’s Ena’s first year.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 3rd, 2019, 10:22 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:This season has largely gone exactly how I expected. A close loss to a decent ACC team, a blow out at LSU, and splitting the rest with some ups and downs. I find it hard to be that upset. No we don't look good, but we have new coaches, a lot of injuries at key positions, and a lot of youth.

Facts:

Over 50% of our players were not on the roster last year. I'm not aware of any team ever having that, but at the very least it's extremely uncommon to have 50 newcomers.

Byu beating our depleted team is a big enough win that it might save their coach.

We are firmly in the driver's seat for a bowl. A ten plus win season followed by a bowl season should always be a success at USU.

We have a team full of guys who want to be here and want to play for coach Andersen. We have players who picked usu over USC, Utah, byu, etc.

Utah State will not win the division this year. Probably not next year either. But BYU and Utah fans have been predicting the crumbling of our program to consistent 2-4 win seasons ever since Andersen broke the bowl drought. It's not happening now or any time in the short term.

Yep. It’s a 3 year plan here. Lots of new guys and 2 star guys out there. Talent is lacking for now. Coaches will sink or swim with recruiting in the next two years.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
NVAggie

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

bpd

Post by bpd » November 3rd, 2019, 12:22 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:22 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:This season has largely gone exactly how I expected. A close loss to a decent ACC team, a blow out at LSU, and splitting the rest with some ups and downs. I find it hard to be that upset. No we don't look good, but we have new coaches, a lot of injuries at key positions, and a lot of youth.

Facts:

Yep. It’s a 3 year plan here. Lots of new guys and 2 star guys out there. Talent is lacking for now. Coaches will sink or swim with recruiting in the next two years.

Maybe so. Last night was not about lack of talent. It was about our defense having no clue about where to line up, whom to cover, or who has assignments. I was actually encouraged about our offense. Defense was lost. Our best pass rusher was on the sidelines half the game and nobody knew what their job was. Ena and Anerdersen better get their (I can't express myself without swearing) together.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

My view is that Ena has squandered a defense that returned nine (9) starters and was deep with "D" linemen. Ena turned a stellar outside linebacker (Galeai #10) into an undersized defensive end with his 4 down set. I would like to hear why this change was approved of by G A, and I'd be even more surprised to see Ena as the Defensive Coordinator next season. Ena has presided over a dismal failure to perform to date and has proven to be a bust.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 3rd, 2019, 12:59 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:My view is that Ena has squandered a defense that returned nine (9) starters and was deep with "D" linemen. Ena turned a stellar outside linebacker (Galeai #10) into an undersized defensive end with his 4 down set. I would like to hear why this change was approved of by G A, and I'd be even more surprised to see Ena as the Defensive Coordinator next season. Ena has presided over a dismal failure to perform to date and has proven to be a bust.
We returned 9 starters on offense and defense combined according to Phil Steele. 7 on D.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 3rd, 2019, 1:05 pm

We lost our best d lineman game 1 and now best player in woodward. Not to mention losing ingram to transfer before season started.

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » November 3rd, 2019, 4:44 pm

I’m as upset as anyone about last night, but it’s important to keep perspective. There are good points on this thread. We know this team can be good, but we’re very thin at a lot of positions right now.

Next year is going to be the real gauge of how Gary’s second tenure at USU will go.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 12:44 pm
. Ena turned a stellar outside linebacker (Galeai #10) into an undersized defensive end with his 4 down set.
Amen to this. Galeai has been completely misused and a non factor this season. I forgot he was even out there

utaggies

Post by utaggies » November 3rd, 2019, 6:21 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 10:10 am
This season has largely gone exactly how I expected. A close loss to a decent ACC team, a blow out at LSU, and splitting the rest with some ups and downs. I find it hard to be that upset. No we don't look good, but we have new coaches, a lot of injuries at key positions, and a lot of youth.

Facts:

This is not simply about what our record would be right now. 4-4 isn’t far off where we were projected to be. But digging down only a little bit there is no one that cannot be concerned about how the last 4 games have gone. We performed miserably against BYU and AFA. Even considering those games to be losses, there can be no optimism in seeing how bad those beat downs were. We should have completely dominated Nevada. But even that win left a bad taste in our mouths in how the offense functioned. LSU was a lost cause, but our offensive production in that game was sub-par. At this point we will likely be underdogs at home against both BSU and Wyoming and even if we are not, we are not on track to win either of those games.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 4th, 2019, 10:50 am

I appreciate the stats Quack. I was thinking about this over the weekend as I tried to troubleshoot our team. I felt like we competed pretty well early on. We have a road win at San Diego. That is a big deal. The last several weeks have been pretty rough. When I heard Woodward was not playing, I knew we were doomed. I hope that recruiting goes well over the next few years. I think Gary needs coordinators that are more dynamic and demanding. Gary is more of the players coach which needs to be offset by a hard-(I can't express myself without swearing) as coordinator.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 4th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Our record isn't far from where I thought we would be. What troubles me is that the team is not competing in each game. They seem content to be blown out by average teams. The uninspired play is very disappointing. If the players have quit trying to win, my interest in the rest of the season will be gone.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm

We aren’t too far off of what I thought we would be at this point. I thought we would be 5-3 with losses to LSU and then two losses to either WF, SDSU, AF, or BYU. Instead of only losing 2, we lost 3. If we can regroup and get all 4 of the last games this would be a really good season. If we win 3 out of the last 4 then this would be a solid season considering our tough schedule. If we lose 2, I will be disappointed but still glad we would make a bowl game. If we only win 1 or don’t win any, then this season would be a disappointment. Not making a bowl with a really good returning qb and solid defense and some good recruits would be a disappointment.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 4th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Two P5 roadies in a single season is a bit of a stretch for the likes of the Ags, don't forget that. Next season we have two P5 games, though the Wazzu game is at home. Washington in Seattle is going to be a real stretch for our guys, even if we do have a fixed and again confidant #10ve back behind center.

I called the season at 8-4, figuring we'd be able to take care of the stench, with a coin-toss deciding the Wake game. Didn't figure AFA could beat us at their place, though. That was quite a surprise.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 4th, 2019, 2:42 pm

As others have stated it’s not necessarily the record but the manner in which the team is losing and that the team is performing worse rather than improving. Also key players are either 1) not being utilized correctly or 2) regressed.

I understand that as a coach and staff you have your scheme and type of players and calls you will run BUT you don’t try and pound a square into a round hole - this is not professional football where you can come in as a new staff and release players and draft and sign other players that fit your scheme - you have to be able to adjust your coaching and offense/defense to what you have then recruit the types of players that fit and adjust accordingly - just my 2 cents from a non football playing or coaching background.

Pre season offensive player of year, and potential league MVP - terrible season YTD

Pre season first team and numerous watch list nominee career seems to be over

Tipa - total non factor due to scheme and usage

I don’t think there is one letterman or returning player that has been at minimum the player that was counted on or been better then anticipated

Besides Woodward - Love and Tipa have shown they have great talent and ability and don’t just forget how to play. Same goes for returning players.

Even with tough schedules you’d like to see improvement and young players step up for momentum next year - nothing of the sort happening which is a bad sign for next year with limited scholarships

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » November 4th, 2019, 6:38 pm

USU78 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 1:50 pm
Two P5 roadies in a single season is a bit of a stretch for the likes of the Ags, don't forget that. Next season we have two P5 games, though the Wazzu game is at home. Washington in Seattle is going to be a real stretch for our guys, even if we do have a fixed and again confidant #10ve back behind center.

I called the season at 8-4, figuring we'd be able to take care of the stench, with a coin-toss deciding the Wake game. Didn't figure AFA could beat us at their place, though. That was quite a surprise.
Unless the D improves, I shudder to think what Leach’s air raid is going to do to us in that opening game at the Mav.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » November 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Chatman wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
. Ena turned a stellar outside linebacker (Galeai #10) into an undersized defensive end with his 4 down set.
Amen to this. Galeai has been completely misused and a non factor this season. I forgot he was even out there
This is a huge shame. Tipa is an immense talent who wreaked havoc on the opposing teams last year. Unfortunately he has been handcuffed by his coach and forced to play a position that is not for him. It makes me pissed when I see him lined up at NG. :bangwall:

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 4th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Slim80 wrote:
November 4th, 2019, 9:47 pm
Chatman wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 6:12 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
This is a huge shame. Tipa is an immense talent who wreaked havoc on the opposing teams last year. Unfortunately he has been handcuffed by his coach and forced to play a position that is not for him. It makes me pissed when I see him lined up at NG. :bangwall:
That actually sounds like the story with Frank Maile as a player. He should have been playing end but was instead lined up at nose tackle.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » November 4th, 2019, 10:30 pm

The team has a lot of deficiencies. Terrible corners that can't tackle, can't get off blocks, and struggle in coverage. An inexperienced offensive line that has a couple players that are just not ready to be starters.

I don't know what is going on with Love. He has lost all his confidence. He is hesitant thus allowing the defense to react and recover. I will say this, if he does get his confidence back, he can make up for a lot deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball.

Sports is all about confidence and this team has lost theirs. There are some talent issues, but they have no confidence. It up to the team captains and coaches to change that. Right now two of our team captains are struggling and one is out for the year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic