Which team will show up on Saturday?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Smokin Joe

Which team will show up on Saturday?

Post by Smokin Joe » October 30th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Which Aggie team will show up on Saturday---the one that should have beaten (and nearly beat) a very good Wake team or the one that got absolutely dominated in every phase of the game by a smaller and arguably less athletic Air Force team? More to the point: do we have any realistic hope of acquiring even the semblance of an offense this season?

YoungBloodAggie

Re: Which team will show up on Saturday?

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 30th, 2019, 9:55 pm

The fact you think AFA was less athletic is all I need to know about why you asked this question

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 30th, 2019, 10:07 pm

They (AF) have their most athletic team in awhile, but we were still bigger on both sides of the LOS. We have a high draft NFL QB. We have an all-American kick returner, an all-American LB and, IMHO, better team speed than them and they destroyed us. But lets assume I'm simply wrong in all of that, the question remains: which Aggie team shows up? You can't just waive off the $64,000 question by merely thinking my assessment of our talent relative to AF is wrong.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm

I think we will see the a combination of the 2. I think the offense will be better but not as good as at wake. I think we we will see the defense be solid. I have a feeling the team is pissed about their performance and ready to prove they are better than that. Any word on if Hall or Romney starting for BYU on Saturday? If we can prevent the trick plays i think we will hold them to around 21 points.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm

I’m not sure the team that played at Wake still exists. Seems like a fluke.

Do we get the defense that showed up against AFA or the one that showed up against Nevada or CSU? Not sure our offense is capable of being good.

I think we will get a good effort and maybe some new wrinkles out of desperation but something is off with this group

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 30th, 2019, 10:22 pm

I'm concerned we simply don't have the personnel on offense. If that's true, is it even fixable?
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
Intermeddler

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 30th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Unfortunately, our offense hasn't been back and forth being good and bad. Instead, they started out decent, but have regressed every single game. So, there should probably be no surprise which team, or at least which offense, will show up. The same one as last week, but a little worse.

Based on GA's interviews this week, it sounds to me like teams now have tape on us and can very easily figure out our offense and how to defend it. GA can hardly hide his disdain for our offense. I know he keeps saying we can't just change it mid-season, but I'm guessing after Saturday we're not going to have a choice but to do just that.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 30th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Smokin Joe wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:22 pm
I'm concerned we simply don't have the personnel on offense. If that's true, is it even fixable?
In fact, it was so bad before GA arrived (graduation losses) that the lion's share of the offense we've had is the Utah guys he brought in and Warren (albeit, G. Bright has been stellar, as always). As bad as we've been, I shudder to think where we'd be without Repp and Mariner.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 31st, 2019, 7:23 am

Smokin Joe wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:42 pm
Smokin Joe wrote:
In fact, it was so bad before GA arrived (graduation losses) that the lion's share of the offense we've had is the Utah guys he brought in and Warren (albeit, G. Bright has been stellar, as always). As bad as we've been, I shudder to think where we'd be without Repp and Mariner.
Where has Repp gone? I haven't seen him really do anything the last two Games.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 31st, 2019, 8:39 am

Machismo wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:23 am
Smokin Joe wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
He caught the lone offensive TD of the first half against Nevada.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 31st, 2019, 8:43 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 8:39 am
Machismo wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 7:23 am
Smokin Joe wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
He caught the lone offensive TD of the first half against Nevada.
Oh yeah I forgot about that, I must have dosed off.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 31st, 2019, 9:03 am

I think the defense and special teams will show up and do exceptionally well. I'm hoping the offense doesn't have too many bad plays.

Also, I'm wondering which BYU team shows up? They've beat Boise, USC and Tennessee - but lost to Utah, Washington (both understandable), Toledo, and South Florida (much less understandable).

I'm hoping the USU team that beat SDSU and the BYU team that lost to South Florida are the ones that "show up"! :-)

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 31st, 2019, 9:29 am

Not so much a matter of which team shows up as which coach finally wakes up and smells the roses. Ena has compromised a very promising group of defensive players with his static 4 down linemen alignment. Sanford then doubles down with his lack of adjustment to his offense. The coaches own this team, just as G A has noted.

Like Adolph Hitlers General Guderian would routinely advise Hitler during the last 2 years of WWII as events turned against Germany, CHANGE YOUR METHODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Gary, change your coordinators after this season.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
AggieBlues

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 31st, 2019, 9:47 am

The Winning Team :utah: :state:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » October 31st, 2019, 10:39 am

Realistically:
The team that beat SDSU for USU, the team that lost to UCF for BYU.

Unrealistically:
The team that beat BSU for BYU.
For us a team that we haven't seen this year. A team that can beat everyone we have left even if they are playing their best football.

I'd rather beat up a good BYU than beat up a mediocre BYU team.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 31st, 2019, 11:35 am

AgMac wrote:
October 30th, 2019, 10:41 pm
Unfortunately, our offense hasn't been back and forth being good and bad. Instead, they started out decent, but have regressed every single game. So, there should probably be no surprise which team, or at least which offense, will show up. The same one as last week, but a little worse.

Based on GA's interviews this week, it sounds to me like teams now have tape on us and can very easily figure out our offense and how to defend it. GA can hardly hide his disdain for our offense. I know he keeps saying we can't just change it mid-season, but I'm guessing after Saturday we're not going to have a choice but to do just that.
That's a cop out. The formation and hurry up or not isn't the issue. This offense probably is lacking the personell to be good, but simply by executing, catching balls, adding some misdirection and motioning lead blockers exc., it can be competent enough to win games assuming the AFA game was a fluke on D. Even just getting enough help blocking the edge to allow Love to get to through his 3rd and 4th reads and scramble if they are not there would make a huge difference.

When you lack O line continuity sometimes just simplifying blocking assignments and throwing in some basic power plays can make a huge difference and that can be done as simply as doing walk throughs and using wristbands for added plays. I sure hope Sanford does something and the staff just doesn't continue to say oh well, we'll change it all next year.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 31st, 2019, 11:41 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 9:29 am
Not so much a matter of which team shows up as which coach finally wakes up and smells the roses. Ena has compromised a very promising group of defensive players with his static 4 down linemen alignment. Sanford then doubles down with his lack of adjustment to his offense. The coaches own this team, just as G A has noted.

Like Adolph Hitlers General Guderian would routinely advise Hitler during the last 2 years of WWII as events turned against Germany, CHANGE YOUR METHODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Gary, change your coordinators after this season.
I think as bad as the AFA game was that its a bit early to jump on Ena too hard. He has adjusted and used Tipa and a 3 man front a lot in the past few weeks with pretty good results. AFA is unique, USU has always used a 4 man front in practical schematics against them, and the Aggies admittedly weren't prepared either physically or schematically for their option.

Lets see how Ena prepares this week. He's facing a brand new QB so I want to see him moving guys all around using multiple fronts and disguising stunts, blitzes, and coverages. He did that well against Nevada.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
crazywookie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 31st, 2019, 11:42 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 11:41 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

I think as bad as the AFA game was that its a bit early to jump on Ena too hard. He has adjusted and used Tipa and a 3 man front a lot in the past few weeks with pretty good results. AFA is unique, USU has always used a 4 man front in practical schematics against them, and the Aggies admittedly weren't prepared either physically or schematically for their option.

Lets see how Ena prepares this week. He's facing a brand new Freshman QB so I want to see him moving guys all around using multiple fronts and disguising stunts, blitzes, and coverages. He did that well against Nevada.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 31st, 2019, 2:58 pm

USUMAE wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:39 am
Realistically:

Unrealistically:
For us a team that we haven't seen this year. A team that can beat everyone we have left even if they are playing their best football.

ybu played Central Florida this year? I think you mean USF, easy to get confused though... UCF Golden Knights, USF are the bulls

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » October 31st, 2019, 3:16 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 2:58 pm
USUMAE wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 10:39 am
Realistically:

Unrealistically:

ybu played Central Florida this year? I think you mean USF, easy to get confused though... UCF Golden Knights, USF are the bulls
You're right...I knew it was one of the two and was just too lazy to look it up and verify.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 31st, 2019, 5:34 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 11:42 am
hickaggie wrote:
October 31st, 2019, 11:41 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

Lets see how Ena prepares this week. He's facing a brand new Freshman QB so I want to see him moving guys all around using multiple fronts and disguising stunts, blitzes, and coverages. He did that well against Nevada.
I appreciate your insight Hick...honestly do. It would be my pleasure to get together and let me buy lunch some time. I fear that both Ena and Sandford lack what is deeply essential from a coordinator to make some major execution improvements this season or perhaps any season at Utah State.. The required changes will have to come from G A. Yes, the stunting 3-4 has been an improvement, and I'll give you that the AFA playing a super game, but we still are static with executing the 4 down linemen sets which were something we have used against them prior.

The AFA required a defense that was essentially playing assignment football, and I didn't see enough of that. Since defense is a major asset that G A enjoys I would hope for a magnificent evening. Barring that, the drive back to Sandy will be bitter, late and cold.

Hope I'm all wet with my comments Hick, I just have deep concerns about not the execution but the lack of "bowing up" from our defensive players. One game doesn't make a season, but it can indicate a trend.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » November 1st, 2019, 8:14 am

We didn't have the defensive personnel to stop AF---and I don't think the 5-2 was well suited to the task either.

Locked Previous topicNext topic