How to beat AFA

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

How to beat AFA

Post by ViAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 5:17 pm

So I looked at the scores and went back and looked at their two losses and here is what I take away:

1. DAMN they are tough

2. They haven't lost at home yet, only to Boise and Navy, both very though, both on the road.

3. They do seem to get a little gassed towards the end of a tough game, lots of horizontal running for minimal gains in between the big plays.

4. Boise did it through the air, complete air bombardment sealed the deal. But, until the end of the 3rd quarter, AFA had either been ahead or tied with Boise. See #3 as likely culprit AFA fell apart in the end.

5. Navy barely beat AFA - the score says nothing, Navy was ahead 28 - 25 until the very last second, that's when Navy forced a fumble when AFA was going for a game winning hail marry, that fumble turned into points. Otherwise the score board lied. Navy though, to their credit, won that game at the D-Line by smashing AFA in the mouth. On offense they used a one-two punch of option run and through the air.

This is going to a tough game
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Sl7vk

Re: How to beat AFA

Post by Sl7vk » October 22nd, 2019, 8:22 pm

Turnovers and the line of scrimmage on both sides will be key.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 22nd, 2019, 9:07 pm

Offer them the chance to snort a few lines prior to the game ... Should work well.
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 5):
USU78frankiesaysrelaxViAggieNVAggiesneed

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 9:07 pm
Offer them the chance to snort a few lines prior to the game ... Should work well.
D'OUGH! Yea this is the college FB scandal that no one seems to be talking about much, probably because it's a Service Academy, but still :nono:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 9:34 am

Just talk about the AFA team.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
sneed

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 9:52 am

Next question about the team. We only talk about who's on the team right now.
These users thanked the author RigAggie for the post:
sneed

MWCFAN12

Re:

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 23rd, 2019, 10:43 am

RigAggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 9:52 am
Next question about the team. We only talk about who's on the team right now.

Okay last year you let multiple players play after it was known that they had been taking cocaine. How many players on your current team have drug issues?
These users thanked the author MWCFAN12 for the post (total 2):
sneedutahcountyaggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 23rd, 2019, 11:03 am

We are the better team. Whether the entire team shows up Saturday night or not is a whole other issue.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 23rd, 2019, 11:17 am

ViAggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 9:07 pm
D'OUGH! Yea this is the college FB scandal that no one seems to be talking about much, probably because it's a Service Academy, but still :nono:
Does anyone know if they are handling things internally like the private institution down south often does?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 23rd, 2019, 11:18 am

So I watched a replay of the Hawaii game and I came away with a few thoughts:

1. AFA is a good team. They execute their plays very well, and they have some really good athletes. Nothing that follows after this detracts from the fact that AFA has a good team.

2. Hawaii's defense is not very good. This is the third or so game of theirs I've watched this year and their defense has continued to leave me unimpressed. Some mistakes they made over and over again all night.
a. Failure to wrap up and tackle. There were several big plays that they just didn't tackle well.
b. They overplayed the dive play at the expense of the QB runs and pitches. I get being concerned about the dive, but people playing contain have to keep contain.
c. To top that off, they did not play assignment football. It seemed that nine times out of ten, they didn't have anyone that was assigned to the QB. So that allowed the QB tons of time to decide if he was going to run or pitch and it led to a lot of big plays.
d. They got lulled to sleep by AFA's run game. I don't think I saw one pass that was completed by Schmidt that was contested. Hawaii's secondary got sucked in over and over again and AFA was able to slip a WR into the open field.

This will be a tough game no matter what, but if we play assignment based football we should be able to keep it close. AFA also gave a lot of cushion to Hawaii's receivers, so we'll see if that continues. I don't think the game is an easy win, but I do believe that it is winnable and I like our chances.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
JSHarvey

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 23rd, 2019, 11:23 am

Defense needs to Dominate first and second down. Force them into 3rd and long.

Score early and and keep a lead that forces them out of their style of play. Get a lucky bounce or two. If all else fails send every RM on the field just to piss off their coach.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 5):
JSHarveyNVAggiesneednewtonianbluebigblue

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 23rd, 2019, 11:35 am

The key is being able to sustain drives, AFA controls the clock with their offense, and limit's your chances, so you must not have short 3 and out drives.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 23rd, 2019, 11:37 am

Three steps:

1. Blow up the quarterback. Every single play. With Te'i and Tipa, we have the guys to do it. Beat him senseless. Force him to pitch or give off on the dive when he doesn't want to. Don't let any play go by without putting the leather on him.

2. Clog up the inside gaps by putting pressure on the DTs. Every single play. This either takes away the dive option or forces the fullback wide, running horizontally instead of downhill. Do it every single play.

3. Don't leave your CBs on an island. Safeties need to be watching and not committing too late to help, since AFA always has a blocker to help the pitch man.

Do this on every single play for 3 quarters, and it pays terrific dividends in the 4th quarter on fumbles and 3-and-outs.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Machismo

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 11:43 am

Really, I think it's all about the D-Line and Linebackers. If we can stay sound, and not get sucked into the mis-direction, then we will be fine. This is one game where not having the tallest DB's isn't a problem. Also, we need Shaq Bond to make a difference in the Safety spot. Actually with our D-Line, I really like our chances.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » October 23rd, 2019, 12:28 pm

Just stay assignment sound until we know for certain what option they take. Don't sleep on the pass.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Since we only have two back-up players that are return missionaries, I have decided we don't have enough advantage to compete in this game.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
sam tingeyaggies22SweepDance

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 23rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 11:23 am
Defense needs to Dominate first and second down. Force them into 3rd and long.

Score early and and keep a lead that forces them out of their style of play. Get a lucky bounce or two. If all else fails send every RM on the field just to piss off their coach.
We haven't exactly been lights out on 3rd and long this season.

captain68
Has thanked: 0

Post by captain68 » October 23rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

The secret to beating Air Force is to get up on them fast. If ever there was a game to pull out trick plays and long bombs early on this is it. This will force them to throw the ball to play catch up.

Besides that, you need good linebacker play to beat the option. I think we have the personnel to stop it this year, assuming our offense can keep our defense off the field better than they have the last few games.
These users thanked the author captain68 for the post (total 2):
ViAggiedonlarson8

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 23rd, 2019, 10:13 pm

78 made some very very solid suggestions. Hammer the Q B every snap and play assignment football with every back getting hit every possible down. Again, play assignment football loaded with plenty of physicality. In the 4th quarter that kind of hard nosed play shows up.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 24th, 2019, 10:22 am

AgMan21 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 11:18 am
So I watched a replay of the Hawaii game and I came away with a few thoughts:

1. AFA is a good team. They execute their plays very well, and they have some really good athletes. Nothing that follows after this detracts from the fact that AFA has a good team.

2. Hawaii's defense is not very good. This is the third or so game of theirs I've watched this year and their defense has continued to leave me unimpressed. Some mistakes they made over and over again all night.
a. Failure to wrap up and tackle. There were several big plays that they just didn't tackle well.
b. They overplayed the dive play at the expense of the QB runs and pitches. I get being concerned about the dive, but people playing contain have to keep contain.
c. To top that off, they did not play assignment football. It seemed that nine times out of ten, they didn't have anyone that was assigned to the QB. So that allowed the QB tons of time to decide if he was going to run or pitch and it led to a lot of big plays.
d. They got lulled to sleep by AFA's run game. I don't think I saw one pass that was completed by Schmidt that was contested. Hawaii's secondary got sucked in over and over again and AFA was able to slip a WR into the open field.

This will be a tough game no matter what, but if we play assignment based football we should be able to keep it close. AFA also gave a lot of cushion to Hawaii's receivers, so we'll see if that continues. I don't think the game is an easy win, but I do believe that it is winnable and I like our chances.
Also, I can't believe I forgot my favorite observation. I loved the C-17 tribute jerseys. Those were sweet!! I hope they do the A-10 Warthog next season.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/demetriusb ... 5e6d39af92

But really what everyone has said is correct. There is no secret to beating AFA. You play your assignment and you hit the quarterback on every play possible.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 24th, 2019, 10:52 am

CATCH THE BALL!!!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
JSHarvey

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 24th, 2019, 10:55 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 10:52 am
CATCH THE BALL!!!
Yes, that helps too!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 24th, 2019, 11:01 am

RigAggie wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 10:55 am
taniataylor wrote:
CATCH THE BALL!!!
Yes, that helps too!
yea, I heard we used to do that..... :bangwall:
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
RigAggieUSU78ViAggie

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 24th, 2019, 1:51 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 11:01 am
RigAggie wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 10:55 am
taniataylor wrote:
CATCH THE BALL!!!
Yes, that helps too!
yea, I heard we used to do that..... :bangwall:
I hear the same thing

ltcpilot
Has thanked: 0

Post by ltcpilot » October 24th, 2019, 4:02 pm

As I said before, here's to a good game with no injuries. Snow is melting here in the Springs and at USAFA so should be an outstanding night for football 68 degrees high and 30 degrees low (57 degrees and sunny right now after 8" of snow last night). If inclined, here's some thoughts, comparisons between our teams and news links for the game from an Air Force perspective. Safe travels to anyone heading to the game...GO FALCONS

https://bit.ly/30Ms9xP
These users thanked the author ltcpilot for the post:
ViAggie

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 24th, 2019, 4:08 pm

How to beat AFA?
The offense needs to play a lot more like it did last year and the defense and special teams just need to keep doing what they did last week.

If that happens a 20 to 30 point margin on the win would be likely.

Is that going to happen? I doubt it.

If the offensive woes have had a significant weather related source then I think we could rebound and get this win. If the offense just figures out what has been going wrong and fixes it I think we win this one.

If the offense just really isn't as good as they need to be, then I think we struggle and only win if we get some lucky breaks/bounces that go our way.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 24th, 2019, 6:12 pm

ltcpilot wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 4:02 pm
As I said before, here's to a good game with no injuries. Snow is melting here in the Springs and at USAFA so should be an outstanding night for football 68 degrees high and 30 degrees low (57 degrees and sunny right now after 8" of snow last night). If inclined, here's some thoughts, comparisons between our teams and news links for the game from an Air Force perspective. Safe travels to anyone heading to the game...GO FALCONS

https://bit.ly/30Ms9xP
Thanks for posting, good write up

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 24th, 2019, 6:53 pm

If we play like we did against Wake Forest, we will win by a minimum of 2 touchdowns. Both road games....but we will have a large contingent of fans in CS as opposed to the WF game.

CONTROL THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE!!!!!
Last edited by mcaggie1 on October 25th, 2019, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 25th, 2019, 7:16 am

GA says this is the best team he has seen from AF and this is also the best AF passing team. We will have to play very good to win this one.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 25th, 2019, 7:31 am

I feel like all I’ve heard this week is how amazing Air Force is and I’ll agree that they are good and better than they’ve been in the past, but they’ve only beat one team with a winning record in Hawaii. There is a very good chance we could lose the game but I haven’t really heard any media or many of our fans giving us a chance to win. After seeing Boise lose last week I’m not totally sold on them either. I have a hard time believing BYU suddenly solved all of their problems in a week to beat Boise like they did. That means maybe Boise isn’t as great as claimed meaning air forces loss to them isn’t as good of loss.

I guess I’m just trying to find silver linings and give myself hope. I do kind of like how nobody is giving us respect this week. J Love was on ESPN 700 with Checketts yesterday and Checketts was pretty blunt in telling him he has had a disappointing season this year. He said it with more tact than that but maybe it will piss J Love off a bit and light a fire

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 25th, 2019, 7:38 am

Here is that interview in case anyone wants to listen.
https://espn700sports.com/local-sports/ ... -football/
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2019, 8:20 am

Boise State Start had to play the second team QB and it was his first collegiate start and it showed. How in the hell byu keeps catching teams in moments of misfortune is beyond me.

El Sapo

Re: Why we will beat AFA

Post by El Sapo » October 25th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Fixed the title.

I think we are physically superior on defense and the D is playing incredible ball right now. I see their offensive strength in their QB play. We have Woody in the middle waiting for their QB to come out and play-yeah. I like that matchup.

On offense? I like the matchup of our WR's and RB's and Love vs their coverage guys. Get the ball to Thompkins, Bright. I don't see them containing our guys. Love isn't going to melt down. They aren't going to intercept him. Madre De Dios, just catch the fricken snap!!!!@!!

Should be a fun game for us Aggies!!!!!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2019, 1:13 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 25th, 2019, 8:20 am
Boise State Start had to play the second team QB and it was his first collegiate start and it showed. How in the hell byu keeps catching teams in moments of misfortune is beyond me.

[Well BYU was playing their 3rd string QB so I would say it is a wash.]

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 25th, 2019, 7:38 pm

aggies22 wrote:Boise State Start had to play the second team QB and it was his first collegiate start and it showed. How in the hell byu keeps catching teams in moments of misfortune is beyond me.
Typical 22, bring BYU into every post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic