Colombi

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brian5562

Re: Columbi

Post by brian5562 » October 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I can’t speak for all the rollout plays but on at least one they came up and knocked the TE on his (I can't express myself without swearing) and that is who love wanted to go to.

The issue with the drops last night is there were at least 3 that would have picked up first downs.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 20th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Yeah it was on one of the first plays on offense to start the game love rolled out and I believe was going to pass to Terrell and Terrell literally just got flattened right on his back

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 20th, 2019, 7:40 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 5:41 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 4:57 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:13-31 on Saturday and less than 50% completion % over the last three games. The receivers aren't dropping that many balls.

That said, there is more wrong with the offense than just Love.
Did you watch last night? Many drops at least 5-10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes I watched last night and there certainly weren't 10 drops. Five at the most. Many that were classified as drops were passes thrown behind the receiver.
The number I've seen is 13 drops. About 8 of those were receivers not pulling in a catchable ball, and 5 were Love not getting the timing right.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 20th, 2019, 8:00 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 7:40 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:13-31 on Saturday and less than 50% completion % over the last three games. The receivers aren't dropping that many balls.

Yes I watched last night and there certainly weren't 10 drops. Five at the most. Many that were classified as drops were passes thrown behind the receiver.
The number I've seen is 13 drops. About 8 of those were receivers not pulling in a catchable ball, and 5 were Love not getting the timing right.
Wow, that's a ton of drops! More than I counted. Can you send me a link to the reference? Thanks!

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 20th, 2019, 10:48 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:

Agree, I did not count them so I used 5-10 as a conservative estimate.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm

Again, plenty of blame to go around. Receivers dropped passes AND Love threw several bad passes and had some bad decisions, AND the O-Line didn't give enough time. These aren't mutually exclusive. No need to deflect and defend Love by blaming everyone around him.

I'll repeat, Love is ranked ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTH in QBR this season so far. He's not playing as well as he did last year. Just face it.

Will he do better as we continue to play? I think so. He's a great player. Just hasn't played great yet.

With all that said, we're sitting at 4-2 with our 2 losses coming to P5 teams on the road. And we're undefeated in conference play. That's pretty darn good considering everything else. Defense has been great overall in my opinion. EGA and Ena should get some credit for that.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggiehipsterdoofus21sneed

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » October 21st, 2019, 9:16 pm

I know we haven't got to see a ton of Columbi, but i think he has quite a bit of potential, is anyone else worried that if Love sticks around next year Columbi wont?

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » October 22nd, 2019, 9:34 am

Aggieforlife wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 9:16 pm
I know we haven't got to see a ton of Columbi, but i think he has quite a bit of potential, is anyone else worried that if Love sticks around next year Columbi wont?
Might not be a bad problem to have. I'd love to have Jordan back for next year. I would have to think the chances of losing Columbi would be pretty high, I would think he'd be on track to graduate, given he redshirted and could be a grad transfer. I'd think his options would be fairly limited though. He hasn't done enough to merit much consideration from programs better than ours.

We have a good team culture here and perhaps he would be the kind of guy that would take it in stride and back up Jordan for another year and be the man his senior year. I'd be very happy should this come to pass..pun intended.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 22nd, 2019, 9:41 am

And some people think CB is bad....
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
NVAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 9:43 am

Sometimes this is CB with a darker color of blue.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ratofallaggies

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 22nd, 2019, 10:09 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 9:43 am
Sometimes this is CB with a darker color of blue.
But at least we aren't DBs, that's what counts.....one letter makes all the difference

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am

ratofallaggies wrote:And some people think CB is bad....
Luckily it’s only ONE person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 12:17 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 12:00 am
Yeah, I chalk it up to far inferior receivers and a questionable offensive line. Those were two of or strengths last year.
Yes, young linemen, athletic, promising but inexperienced. Mixed bag on the receivers with a couple of promising sets of hands mixed with the ones who struggle to make the tough catch after a poor route.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » October 22nd, 2019, 12:22 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 12:17 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 12:00 am
Yeah, I chalk it up to far inferior receivers and a questionable offensive line. Those were two of or strengths last year.
Yes, young linemen, athletic, promising but inexperienced. Mixed bag on the receivers with a couple of promising sets of hands mixed with the ones who struggle to make the tough catch after a poor route.
at what point in the year do these young athletic, promising but inexperienced players become young athletic and experienced. is it one game, 6 games, 13 games, 2 years? and when do the receivers who have trouble catching the ball, all of a sudden get better? I know it all takes time, but there are some really young players in NCAA that are playing really well half way through the season.

NavyBlueAggie

Re: Colombi

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 12:38 pm

Probably have a highly valid point tipitup. My information for the "O" linemen came from a personal conversation with one of the coaches much earlier this year. Comments like better foot work, more athleticism and faster than the graduating seniors were made to me.

I would also suspect that with better "O" line work the passing game improves. I honestly expected a measurable turn around the second half of the season, and we are at that point now. Again, it's time for a turn around, even against a much tougher schedule this season. I understand your comment tipitup, and I'm waiting for the "O" linemen to get it together.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 12:42 pm

I also think that our Offensive Coordinator needs to at least attempt something "out of the box" as we seem to be quite "offensively offense", and even with the need for better "O" line play there must be room for a wrinkle or special play just to keep the defense at bay.

Thanks again tipitup.... I suspect we're all waiting for our young promising linemen to get their "Poop In A Group"...

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 22nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 11:01 am
ratofallaggies wrote:And some people think CB is bad....
Luckily it’s only ONE person.

In this thread, yes.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 22nd, 2019, 1:28 pm

Let me preface this by saying.....I still believe Jordan Love is a good QB.

Could giving Colombi a shot really make anything much worse?

Chuckie Keeton was a good QB. He wowed as a freshman. In subsequent years, we all wanted Chuckie to be "last year's Chuckie" again.....he wasn't and we had to go with Kent Myers.

Kent Myers stepped in and impressed. There was hope again. In subsequent years, we all wanted Kent to be "last year's Kent" again.....he wasn't and we had to go with Jordan Love.

Jordan Love stepped in and gave us hope again in a crappy season. He was great last year. Right now, everyone wants Jordan to be "last year's Jordan" again.....9 weeks into the season he's thrown more picks than TDs and is only completing 40-50% of passes.

Why not at least see if Colombi can do something? Maybe history Aggie FB history repeats itself, again?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 22nd, 2019, 1:48 pm

I would have been fine had Love been benched for just a series or two to get his head straight. I'm also fine that he was not and that he ended up making a few good passes in the 4th Quarter.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 2:04 pm

I think Love will be fine. He is throwing into tight windows trying to make something happen. Sometimes that doesn't work. Colombi will be good too. This whole thing reminds me of the good old days of Travis Cox playing QB. The fans wanted Leon Jackson III. The best QB on any team is the backup.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 22nd, 2019, 2:48 pm

What in the hell is happening in here?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 22nd, 2019, 3:08 pm

NVAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 2:04 pm
I think Love will be fine. He is throwing into tight windows trying to make something happen. Sometimes that doesn't work. Colombi will be good too. This whole thing reminds me of the good old days of Travis Cox playing QB. The fans wanted Leon Jackson III. The best QB on any team is the backup.
Do you remember Jayce McCormick?

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 3:10 pm

I remember Brent Guy showing us video of his poor pass during a luncheon in response to people wanting him to play. Was he the one who had his tonsils removed?

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » October 22nd, 2019, 3:21 pm

The USU stats team credited our receivers with 6 drops in the first half.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 4:48 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 1:28 pm
Let me preface this by saying.....I still believe Jordan Love is a good QB.

Could giving Colombi a shot really make anything much worse?

Chuckie Keeton was a good QB. He wowed as a freshman. In subsequent years, we all wanted Chuckie to be "last year's Chuckie" again.....he wasn't and we had to go with Kent Myers.

Kent Myers stepped in and impressed. There was hope again. In subsequent years, we all wanted Kent to be "last year's Kent" again.....he wasn't and we had to go with Jordan Love.

Jordan Love stepped in and gave us hope again in a crappy season. He was great last year. Right now, everyone wants Jordan to be "last year's Jordan" again.....9 weeks into the season he's thrown more picks than TDs and is only completing 40-50% of passes.

Why not at least see if Colombi can do something? Maybe history Aggie FB history repeats itself, again?
There are a few differences. Chuckie continued to impress in 2012 and 2013 and we weren't wanting "last year's Chuckie" those years. In 2014 and 2015, we were wanting pre-injury Chuckie, and I still think if he hadn't hurried him back in 2014 and gave him a full year to recover, we would have been more likely to have 2012 Chuckie in 2015.

Kent Myers impressed in 2014 only cause of low expectations being the fourth stringer, and had a good record cause of the defense. Even after that, he still did good against teams that had to have all eleven guys watch for him, it was just when teams had elite athletes who could have ONE guy spy on him and the rest focus on other guys was when he struggled. I thought he declined from 2015 to 16 cause of not having Hunter Sharp. In an alternate universe where Hunter had an extra year of eligibility in 2016, Myers would have looked better.

With Love, I don't think it's that we want "Last year's Jordan" as much as we want the people around him we had last year, which we don't.

Locked Previous topicNext topic