When will the full schedule be released?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

Re: When will the full schedule be released?

Post by OKAggie » September 9th, 2019, 10:09 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
OKAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:31 am
dogie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:07 am
North Carolina A&T in Logan on November 15.

Good luck figuring out who the second Jamaica Classic home opponent is. It won’t be Eastern Michigan, who is playing at North Texas, but is being given a home game against Michigan-Dearborn rather than going on the road to play a second game against one of the four upper-bracket teams.
Nicholls State, one of the four lower-tier Jamaica Classic teams, has already been announced on the schedule of upper-tier teams LSU and Rhode Island.

NCA&T is lower-tier and has already announced their games at USU and UNT.

Maryland Baltimore County is the fourth lower-tier team and is on LSU's schedule but not Rhode Island's (the Rams have issued a partial OOC schedule but only have the one lower-tier game against Nicholls). So UMBC's the only other option for a game in Logan against the lower-tier teams. UMBC hasn't announced any of its OOC schedule yet. I'm suspicious that they're trying to pull a Valparaiso on us (or maybe Eastern Michigan already did), and would prefer a short trip to Rhode Island rather than a long one to USU.
Could it also be possible that we are trying to replace one of the lower tier games with a better game?

As I say that, your scenario seems more likely.
Anything's possible, I suppose. But we have a fairly stout schedule already, with most of the games away from Logan, and only a single home game between November 15 and January 4. I can't imagine we'd give up a home game that was supposed to be part of the deal in the Jamaica Classic structure.

I hadn't realized until looking at the schedule for this post how much travel is involved in the back half of the OOC schedule

in Jamaica 11/23-24
in Moraga CA 11/29
in San Jose CA 12/4 (will they just stay in the Bay Area after St. Marys?)
SLC for the Beehive Classic v. BYU 12/14
in Houston 12/18 against S. Florida
in Miami 12/21 against Florida (again assume we'd stay on the road -- wouldn't Finals be over by then?)
at UNLV 1/1
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22hvaggie

Nobody here knows anything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 10th, 2019, 2:36 pm

UTSA is the only one we didn’t already know. Lots of neutral site games, but the only true road game in the non-con is SMC.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 10th, 2019, 3:20 pm

This turned out to be a really solid schedule. Interesting that we will have 5 home games within 2 weeks in November that is super rare. I am not sure that is good or bad. I guess it is good because all the students will be in school. All of those are winnable games so it should help continue to build excitement. I really enjoy the Friday night games. Excited for the season to start. Looking forward to making it up to hopefully at least 8 games this year.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 10th, 2019, 7:03 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:36 pm

UTSA is the only one we didn’t already know. Lots of neutral site games, but the only true road game in the non-con is SMC.
I think this confirms what I said in this very thread last week.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 10th, 2019, 7:06 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:36 pm

I'm pretty sure that the Texas-San Antonio game is part of of our Jamaica tournament package of games.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 10th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Men&#39;s Hoops (@USUBasketball) <a href=" 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
Disabled async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SLB

Post by SLB » September 10th, 2019, 9:31 pm

SLB wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 9:17 pm
Men&#39;s Hoops (@USUBasketball) <a href=" 10, 2019</a></blockquote>
Disabled async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Last year NET rankings of the Non-conference teams
#16 LSU
#30 Florida
#35 St. Mary's
#83 South Florida
#89 BYU
#143 UTSA
#147 North Texas
#182 Weber State
#246 Montana State
#293 NC AT&T
#324 Denver
Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75.
Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135.
Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240.
Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... -tool-help
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Roy McAvoy

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 10th, 2019, 9:50 pm

So, that makes:

3 in Quad 1
2 in Quad 2
2 in Quad 3
4 in Quad 4

SLB

Post by SLB » September 12th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Potential opponent Oregon State
Oregon State said, "There's a possibility one additional non-conference home game will be added to the schedule."
https://osubeavers.com/news/2019/9/12/m ... hoops.aspx
Oregon State have two gaps in their schedule before PAC 12 conference play that falls in the time before our MWC basketball begins and Dec 9-12 gap in the schedule.
Oregon State AD is Barnes.
Oregon State needs to bolster their non-conference schedule.
Speculation yes, but it seems something that could happen.

dogie

Post by dogie » September 12th, 2019, 8:23 pm

I’d like to see the Aggies get back to playing more regional teams. This year there are only two games among the local non-MWC schools of Idaho State, Weber State, Utah, BYU, UVU and SUU, and only one of this is on one of the teams’ campus. I’m sure there have never been fewer than three and possibly never fewer than four.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 15th, 2019, 8:35 am

Any update on the 2 home games?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 15th, 2019, 9:54 am

SLB wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 6:28 pm
Oregon State said, "There's a possibility one additional non-conference home game will be added to the schedule."
Oregon State have two gaps in their schedule before PAC 12 conference play that falls in the time before our MWC basketball begins and Dec 9-12 gap in the schedule.
I would pass on a road game against OSU. Potential bad loss since they aren’t good and not a lot of upside if we win.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 16th, 2019, 5:53 am

SLB wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 6:28 pm
We are only looking for home games. I can't see Coach Smith and the boys going for this one at all.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 17th, 2019, 11:12 am

Whatever happen to that a school in Arizona rumor from some time ago?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm

SLB wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 11:12 am
Whatever happen to that a school in Arizona rumor from some time ago?
Just that. Rumor.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 18th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Has been 8 days since the rest of the schedule was released.

Irish Rowdy
Has thanked: 0

Post by Irish Rowdy » October 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Howdy I am a UTSA Alumni who will making my first ever trip to the State of Utah to watch my Roadrunners play the defending MWC Champions USU Aggies.

I will be spending a few days in the area to make this mini vacation. I am looking for recommendations on what I should see in y'alls natural beautiful State. I'll have a rental car, so driving around is no problem. Any local restaurants recommendations are also welcome.

I come from the land of Rowdy talk.com #BirdsUp
These users thanked the author Irish Rowdy for the post (total 2):
aggies22donlarson8

Full

Post by Full » October 15th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Irish Rowdy wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 8:27 pm
Howdy I am a UTSA Alumni who will making my first ever trip to the State of Utah to watch my Roadrunners play the defending MWC Champions USU Aggies.

I will be spending a few days in the area to make this mini vacation. I am looking for recommendations on what I should see in y'alls natural beautiful State. I'll have a rental car, so driving around is no problem. Any local restaurants recommendations are also welcome.

Irish Rowdy wrote:

If your interested in the whole state hit Moab or Zion (still enough heat to hit the trails in the southern part of the state). It should be cool, but you’re still too early for skiing. Cache Valley has a lot of trails, but weather in November can add snow as you get higher up. Wind Cave trail is popular, and almost always has a fair amount of traffic in November.

Irish Rowdy

Post by Irish Rowdy » October 17th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Thank you

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2019, 8:09 pm

SLB wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 8:02 pm
Has been 8 days since the rest of the schedule was released.
I would expect at least one NAIA caliber type team for one of those two games.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 17th, 2019, 8:53 pm

SLB wrote:Whatever happen to that a school in Arizona rumor from some time ago?
It fell through for whatever reason

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 18th, 2019, 11:57 am

Irish Rowdy wrote:

If you have time, here's what I would do:

Day 1 – Fly into Las Vegas in the morning. Drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon (4 hr. 20 min. drive) so you arrive no later than 2:00 p.m., hike the Bright Angel Trail to 1.5 mile rest house and back, lodge in or near Grand Canyon Village on South Rim

Day 2 – Awake to view sunrise at Grand Canyon; early start to Page, AZ (2 hr. 30 min.); arrive in Page before noon for lunch; Antelope Canyon tour at 1:30; Lake Powell tour at 5:00 pm; spend night in Page (dinner at Into the Grand – solid Native American cultural experience)

Day 3 – Horseshoe Bend before sunrise/get on the road early to Moab, UT via Utah Road 261 (5 hr. drive) (through Monument Valley, past Mexican Hat, and up Moki Dugway for stunning views of Valley of the Gods); arrive Moab for early afternoon hike to Delicate Arch; lodging in Moab (suggest Red Cliffs Lodge)

Day 4 – Enjoy Arches National Park (Devil’s Garden Loop/Fiery Furnace/Double Arch/etc.) and Canyonlands National Park (Grand View Point/Mesa Arch/Confluence Overlook/Horseshoe Gallery); stay one more night at Red Cliffs Lodge

Day 5 - On the road early to Goblin Valley State Park (1 hr. 45 min.), spend 2 hours exploring Goblin Valley/picnic lunch; move on to Little Wild Horse Canyon (30 min.), spend 2 hours exploring; get on the road to Bryce Canyon Natl. Park by 2:30 or 3:00 (4 hr. 20 min.) drive through Capitol Reef Natl. Park; arrive at Bryce for dinner; lodging in or near Bryce Canyon

Day 6 – Explore Bryce Canyon; lodging in or near Bryce Canyon

Day 7 – On the road early to Zion Natl. Park (2 hr. 30 min.); explore Zion (Narrows/Angels Landing/etc.); lodging in or near Zion

Day 8 – 1-2 short hikes in Zion in the morning; drive to SLC (4 hr. 30 min.); dinner at Red Iguana; lodging in SLC

Day 9 – Drive to Logan (1 hr. 20 min.); lunch and early pre-game dinner at two of the places on this list: https://www.femalefoodie.com/restaurant ... -in-logan/; my personal favorites are Tandoori Oven (best Indian food served out of a gas station anywhere in the world) and Le Nonne; do your best to enjoy loss to Aggies in world-famous Dee Glen Smith Spectrum; lodging in Logan

Day 10 - Breakfast at Herm's. Grab a cone of Aggie Ice Cream while in town; if you have time and weather permits, hike the Wind Cave Trail up Logan Canyon. Drive to SLC Airport. (1 hr. 20 min.)

Enjoy!!
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
usufan1sneed

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 18th, 2019, 12:15 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 11:57 am
Irish Rowdy wrote:

Day 1 – Fly into Las Vegas in the morning. Drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon (4 hr. 20 min. drive) so you arrive no later than 2:00 p.m., hike the Bright Angel Trail to 1.5 mile rest house and back, lodge in or near Grand Canyon Village on South Rim

Day 2 – Awake to view sunrise at Grand Canyon; early start to Page, AZ (2 hr. 30 min.); arrive in Page before noon for lunch; Antelope Canyon tour at 1:30; Lake Powell tour at 5:00 pm; spend night in Page (dinner at Into the Grand – solid Native American cultural experience)

Day 3 – Horseshoe Bend before sunrise/get on the road early to Moab, UT via Utah Road 261 (5 hr. drive) (through Monument Valley, past Mexican Hat, and up Moki Dugway for stunning views of Valley of the Gods); arrive Moab for early afternoon hike to Delicate Arch; lodging in Moab (suggest Red Cliffs Lodge)

Day 4 – Enjoy Arches National Park (Devil’s Garden Loop/Fiery Furnace/Double Arch/etc.) and Canyonlands National Park (Grand View Point/Mesa Arch/Confluence Overlook/Horseshoe Gallery); stay one more night at Red Cliffs Lodge

Day 5 - On the road early to Goblin Valley State Park (1 hr. 45 min.), spend 2 hours exploring Goblin Valley/picnic lunch; move on to Little Wild Horse Canyon (30 min.), spend 2 hours exploring; get on the road to Bryce Canyon Natl. Park by 2:30 or 3:00 (4 hr. 20 min.) drive through Capitol Reef Natl. Park; arrive at Bryce for dinner; lodging in or near Bryce Canyon

Day 7 – On the road early to Zion Natl. Park (2 hr. 30 min.); explore Zion (Narrows/Angels Landing/etc.); lodging in or near Zion

Day 8 – 1-2 short hikes in Zion in the morning; drive to SLC (4 hr. 30 min.); dinner at Red Iguana; lodging in SLC

Day 9 – Drive to Logan (1 hr. 20 min.); lunch and early pre-game dinner at two of the places on this list: https://www.femalefoodie.com/restaurant ... -in-logan/; my personal favorites are Tandoori Oven (best Indian food served out of a gas station anywhere in the world) and Le Nonne; do your best to enjoy loss to Aggies in world-famous Dee Glen Smith Spectrum; lodging in Logan

Day 10 - Breakfast at Herm's. Grab a cone of Aggie Ice Cream while in town; if you have time and weather permits, hike the Wind Cave Trail up Logan Canyon. Drive to SLC Airport. (1 hr. 20 min.)

Enjoy!!
Impressive! I should hire you to plan my next vacation.

Nobody here knows anything.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 18th, 2019, 1:06 pm

OKAggie wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Impressive! I should hire you to plan my next vacation.
It was an easy itinerary to cut and paste since I did that exact itinerary with my family a few years ago -- except we completed the circle through St. George (Snow Canyon, Pioneer Park/St. George Narrows) on our way back to Vegas rather than heading up to Salt Lake. It is absolutely a fantastic trip.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » October 19th, 2019, 10:30 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
Irish Rowdy wrote:

Enjoy!!
Awesome itinerary. Just did Moab/Arches/Canyonlands and I would add Dead Horse Point either right before or after Canyonlands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » October 20th, 2019, 9:32 am

Irish Rowdy wrote:

Logan has its fair share of great food, though not near as much as Salt Lake. Tandoori Oven is the best Indian food I’ve had, and we go to the most recommended places in every large city we visit (New York, Seattle, San Fran, Chicago, etc.)

Sabores has excellent options, their house fries and peanut butter burger... Devine! The chef and owner was once Ronald Reagan’s personal chef.

MayMoes has excellent Cajun po’boys.

Cafe Sabor has great homemade chips and salsa and some great menu items, but ask around on what to order as some of their menu choices are much better than others.

If you like Hawaiian, Mo Bettahs is the best I’ve had as well. We’ve been to Hawaii every year for 6 years and I always try to find a local place I like as much, haven’t found one yet.

There is not a good steak anywhere in Logan, but Brigham City is not far away and Maddox has an excellent filet mignon! Huge steak house that is famous state wide.

The fall colors will be all gone by then, but a drive up Logan canyon is always worth It. It’s been voted the most scenic drive in America before. Drive all the way from Logan to Bear Lake and back and take your time. No ski resorts in Logan area will be open yet, but salt lake may have a few that make their own snow. That’s crap to ski on, but an experience still. And the salt lake canyons are awesome.

Park City is the most touristy, fancy, and historic area of Utah. If you like expensive food and alcohol, you should check out Park City Main Street.

Enjoy your trip! Logan is beautiful, as is most of the state.

Locked Previous topicNext topic