Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
t_creer54

Depth chart

Post by t_creer54 » August 12th, 2019, 11:30 pm

EDIT: Merged from another thread:

Alright, I can’t wait for college hoops to get here so let’s talk about our Aggies this upcoming season. I want to hear from everyone their projected depth chart for Aggie hoops this season. I’ll start:

PG: Abel
SG: Merrill
SF/Wing: Miller
PF: Bean
C: Queta

First ones off the bench:
Brito, Alphonso Anderson, Bairstow, Kuba

Will see some minutes:
McChesney, Roche, Klay, Bischoff.

I think that Roche and Klay are wildcards. We’ll need to see how they recover from their injuries.

Let me know your depth charts down below! This is nowhere near perfect and just what I’m thinking. Aggie hoops can’t get here quicker.

"Life's short, stunt it!" - Rod Kimble

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Re: Depth chart

Post by slcagg » August 13th, 2019, 5:31 am

Great topic. However I have no idea how to predict. We have guys that could play multiple positions etc (I know the new thing is basketball is position less) and really no backup pg. but here is my guess for mins.

Pg: Abel 28 mins, Sam 12 mins
Sg: Sam 23 mins, Brito 17 mins
Sf: Miller 25 mins, Bairstow 10 mins, Brito 5 mins
Pf: Anderson 20 mins, bean 20 mins
C: Queta 30 mins, Kuba/Klay 10 mins

I could see Brito getting some mins at point. Would like to see Sam get closer to to 32 mins per night. Also I left off some guys that will probably get some mins. For example don’t know how you leave off the 2nd best shooter on the team who has great length. Also Anderson could play some 3 that could open up some time etc.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Dwigt

Roy McAvoy

Re: Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 16th, 2019, 9:38 am

This going to be really interesting to see how it comes together. It sounds like Diogo Brito has been playing very well, Justin Bean has developed an outside shot, and Miller has improved his overall skill set. Alphonso Anderson as a new addition has also been a very athletic well rounded player. Coach Smith also loves Abel Porter and his style of basketball. Stall has been relatively healthy and Queta is going to be brought back slowly.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the depth chart comes together and who rises up. right now here's my prediction:

G) Abel Porter, Diogo Brito, Sam Merrill
G) Sam Merrill, Diogo Brito, Carson Bischoff
G/F) Brock Miller, Sean Bairstow, Alphonso Anderson
F) Alphonso Anderson, Justin Bean, Liam McChesney
C) Neemias Queta, Kuba Karwowski, Klay Stall

It'll be fun this year to see us go "big" with a lineup of Merrill, Brito, Alphonso, Bean, & Queta, or "small" with a lineup of Porter, Merrill, Miller, Bean, & Anderson.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » October 17th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 9:38 am
This going to be really interesting to see how it comes together. It sounds like Diogo Brito has been playing very well, Justin Bean has developed an outside shot, and Miller has improved his overall skill set. Alphonso Anderson as a new addition has also been a very athletic well rounded player. Coach Smith also loves Abel Porter and his style of basketball. Stall has been relatively healthy and Queta is going to be brought back slowly.

It's going to be very interesting to see how the depth chart comes together and who rises up. right now here's my prediction:

It'll be fun this year to see us go "big" with a lineup of Merrill, Brito, Alphonso, Bean, & Queta, or "small" with a lineup of Porter, Merrill, Miller, Bean, & Anderson.
So you only see Bairstow at the 3 when Smith has said he can play 1-4? I know that is a lot to learn for a freshman but if he has that versatility I think you get the best players on the court as much as possible. If Bairstow can play the 2 it might be nice to redshirt Bischoff. It seems like we are loaded, I know some guys haven't seen the court yet and there could be injuries as well which would see a big drop at the 2 and 5 positions.

Can you post what you think the minutes per player at each position will be? That is the real rub. If everyone is healthy we could have a big advantage at the end of games if we are rested with our depth. Last year I think Sam was overworked, would be nice to give him just 30 minutes a night on average rather than 40. I also like our depth if there is foul trouble, a tightly called game would be advantage to USU because of our depth and ability to rotate in a lot of players to distribute the fouls a little more evenly.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 9:38 am

[You seem to have quite a bit of insider knowledge. When you say they are bringing back Queta slowly are you saying he will be playing in the first game, but only like 5-10 minutes to start? Or are you saying it will be like a month in the season before he even starts playing?]

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Is anyone concerned about ball handling? I know Porter is solid at the point, but it seems to me we need to have 1 more solid person to handle the ball.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 8:42 pm
Is anyone concerned about ball handling? I know Porter is solid at the point, but it seems to me we need to have 1 more solid person to handle the ball.
Sam Merrill and to a lesser extent Diogo Brito. I'm not sure we see Bairstow handle the ball much in a PG role yet.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 17th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
Yep. I was concerned last year too. I think what we have is serviceable and good enough to win a lot of games and even the conference but many of the elite teams at the national level, especially those that advance deep in the tourney, are those that are led by elite PG play. What we have is fine until we meet those type of teams and then we see what separates us from them.

I know the coaches are always very complimentary of Porter and I do think he is strong with the ball but neither he nor Merrill possess elite athleticism or the quickness to stick with the top PG's that we could potentially face in the NCAA tourney.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 8:41 pm
You seem to have quite a bit of insider knowledge. When you say they are bringing back Queta slowly are you saying he will be playing in the first game, but only like 5-10 minutes to start? Or are you saying it will be like a month in the season before he even starts playing?]
Don’t plan on seeing Queta until late November at the earliest. We may not even see him until conference play starts or later.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 17th, 2019, 9:13 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yep. I was concerned last year too. I think what we have is serviceable and good enough to win a lot of games and even the conference but many of the elite teams at the national level, especially those that advance deep in the tourney, are those that are led by elite PG play. What we have is fine until we meet those type of teams and then we see what separates us from them.

I know the coaches are always very complimentary of Porter and I do think he is strong with the ball but neither he nor Merrill possess elite athleticism or the quickness to stick with the top PG's that we could potentially face in the NCAA tourney.
I agree completely. I’m very concerned about it. I’ve been quite surprised the coaching stuff didn’t identify and try to fill that hole after the New Mexico and Washington games at the end of last season.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 17th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Porter is very serviceable, but when we play athletic teams that press like NM and Washington we really struggled with turnovers and creating shots. Hopefully I am surprised. I was hopeful to see Queta sooner than conference play, but hopefully he can get better. Hopefully the team can hold down the fort and grab some big out of conference games without Queta.

Has anyone seen how Kuba is progressing in practice? He seems like he could be a good rim defender although I have no clue how he is on the offensive side of the ball.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » October 17th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I think having Anthony to practice against is going to be a huge difference maker for Porter. Having him vs Ainge and Knight on the scout squad last year didn't really do him any favors, but he's going to get stretched this year because of that. While we didn't recruit to the position for this season, we did recruit to sharpen the tools we already have in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 17th, 2019, 10:05 pm

I'm not worried about it. Porter, Brito, and Sam will all be better and we recruited a couple of athletic freshman who can handle. The freshman will be raw, but will be playing well by tournament time.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 18th, 2019, 8:26 am

Coloraggie wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 5:12 pm
So you only see Bairstow at the 3 when Smith has said he can play 1-4? I know that is a lot to learn for a freshman but if he has that versatility I think you get the best players on the court as much as possible. If Bairstow can play the 2 it might be nice to redshirt Bischoff. It seems like we are loaded, I know some guys haven't seen the court yet and there could be injuries as well which would see a big drop at the 2 and 5 positions.

Can you post what you think the minutes per player at each position will be? That is the real rub. If everyone is healthy we could have a big advantage at the end of games if we are rested with our depth. Last year I think Sam was overworked, would be nice to give him just 30 minutes a night on average rather than 40. I also like our depth if there is foul trouble, a tightly called game would be advantage to USU because of our depth and ability to rotate in a lot of players to distribute the fouls a little more evenly.
So I'm sure multiple guys will play multiple positions. I wanted to just put out every player on there (except Grootfaam who I don't think will really see the court.)

I added Brito in two spots because I think he's going to play a lot of minutes backing up both the 1 and 2. He really should've been in both spots. I put Alphonso Anderson in both spots because I think he'll play some joint minutes with Bean, but I really should've just left him only at the 4 spot.

I'm sure Bairstow will play some at the 2 and ahead of Bischoff. Though it'll be interesting to see what Smith does with Bischoff because he is such a good shooter.

Locked Previous topicNext topic