Matt Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: Matt Wells

Post by Aglicious » October 15th, 2019, 10:48 am

NVAggie wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 7:55 am
He did take a game ball to Nightrunner in the hospital.
and was sure to do it in silence and hide it from all social media......oh wait.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
Sl7vk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 15th, 2019, 10:56 am

Aglicious wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 10:48 am
NVAggie wrote:
He did take a game ball to Nightrunner in the hospital.
and was sure to do it in silence and hide it from all social media......oh wait.
The team decided that together....

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

The Truth

Post by The Truth » October 15th, 2019, 11:21 am

bull wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:45 pm
I’m not offended. It’s just my opinion that your opinions (stated as facts) are wrong. Most people don’t feel the way you do. Most people didn’t experience Matt the way you did.
are these not stated as fact too? i wish an accurate and unbiased poll could be had on this matter because i have a feeling it would show fairly split results. it seems many (not all) that had personal interaction with wells were less impressed than those that viewed him from afar. i don't think it's genuine or accurate to state that "most" people don't feel the same way as tania. i mean, has there ever been an 11-2 team where the immediate departure of the head coach was more welcomed by the fan base?
These users thanked the author The Truth for the post:
Sl7vk

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 15th, 2019, 1:48 pm

bull wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm

This is exactly what we need to stop posting If you want to talk about your personal experience and how you personally perceive him or what you think he could do to be better, then go for it. Saying someone was “absolutely” anything is virtually always wrong. You’re talking about one of the most successful coaches in Aggie history and a huge majority of Aggie nation stands behind him. So let’s stop with the slander.
I'm not so sure that "a huge majority of Aggie nation" is on team Wells. Casual fans may be on Wells' side because he "won". More avid fans and family of players know more about Wells than the mere fact that he just won some games. That group of fans certainly can appreciate that Wells was a winning coach during his time here, and was also not a very good person.
My brother played OL under both Gary and Matt (and had initially been recruited by Brent Guy). My family had regular interactions with both of them, as well as with coach Gerke, Woods, Weber (offensive line coaches) Coach Baldwin, McGiven (offensive coordinators). This is in addition to coaches from other schools that initially recruited him. NEVER have I met/spoken with/interacted with a coach that was as big of a jerk as Wells. What Tania says is true. Those with family members on the team have a unique view into how a coach REALLY is, vs how he may try to portray himself publicly.

Count me on team "Wells Sucks" :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 2):
taniataylorSl7vk

stwinward

Post by stwinward » October 15th, 2019, 5:01 pm

LifelongAggieFan wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 6:36 am
I'll never get over him opening and closing his hand in my face at Maverick.

At the 2017 Aggie Family Fun Day, my 11 year old son was in the line to get autographs from Dallin Leavitt and Jalen Davis. While waiting in line we noticed Coach Wells about 10 feet away. My son stepped out of line to see if he could get Coach's autograph, as my boy got close to Coach, he stuck out his and with his palm out, as if he was saying, "stop there kid, I don't have time for you." that experience made me realize what an arrogant A**Hole Matt is and I lost all respect for him.
Maybe he was looking for a high five? :noidea:

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 15th, 2019, 5:23 pm

USU78 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:50 pm
There are enough players and former players calling him "The Vice Principal" in the hearing of friends and fans to credit what Tania's saying.
This is what matters most! The players. I don't really care how a coach interacts with fans and media. I know some care. I don't. What I do care about is how he deals with the student athletes and their families.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
Aggie19Sl7vk

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 15th, 2019, 6:28 pm

he was cool to me and wrote me a thank you note once. i really liked the guy. but he wasn't my coach. and i can see why he rubbed people the wrong way.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 15th, 2019, 7:36 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 7:40 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 6:36 am
I'll never get over him opening and closing his hand in my face at Maverick.
he did that to you, too? what an a**.
Yeah I ran into Wells at Maverick a few years back. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen aggie visors in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the visors and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each visor and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 5):
Sl7vkAndroidAggietreesap32newtonianblueutahcountyaggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 15th, 2019, 8:20 pm

And that right there sums it up.
Thread closed.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
utahcountyaggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 15th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Wait, I thought his wife made him stop wearing visors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

bull

Post by bull » October 15th, 2019, 9:43 pm

Look, disgruntled players and parents will always have something to (I can't express myself without swearing) about. The bottom line is Coach Wells did a tremendous amount of good for this program.
These users thanked the author bull for the post:
JSHarvey

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 15th, 2019, 9:44 pm

dyedblue wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:03 pm
Wait, I thought his wife made him stop wearing visors

this explains the shiftiness, perhaps.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 15th, 2019, 9:54 pm

But really, I met Wells randomly on an escalator at a Marriott in San Diego a few summers ago. He was recruiting and I was on R&R. He asked about something I was wearing with a Jamaican flag on it so I told him about my job and living in Jamaica and he was really interested and down to earth. Really nice guy, I was happy to talk to him. Despite being the one who started this trainwreck a couple years back (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38461&hilit=wells)
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on October 15th, 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
AndroidAggie

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » October 15th, 2019, 10:10 pm

He did more good than bad for the program. He also created some great memories for us (and some not so good ones). Though I hated some of his coaching decisions and his stubbornness, he did seem to learn from those errors his last two seasons.

He’s an OK guy. Not great, but not as horrible as some on here say. I believe he always acted for the best interests of this program.

I say let the past die and embrace the present. It’s better for everyone if he succeeds at Texas Tech.

These users thanked the author sambonethegreat for the post (total 2):
AndroidAggieJSHarvey

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 16th, 2019, 5:11 am

I'm reluctantly hoping GA fails at OSU so maybe he will just realize he can do something special at USU with his formula, and come back.

Long shot, but I'm sick of Wells
MetsJetsAggies was pulling Nostradamus right there yall
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoynewtonianblue

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 16th, 2019, 8:35 am

bull wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:43 pm
Look, disgruntled players and parents will always have something to b**** about. The bottom line is Coach Wells did a tremendous amount of good for this program.
Do you think Im disgruntled Bull? Or Jordan? Not even close, I merely don't like the way he treats others (incl myself) or treated my son when he got there. I am grateful to him for trusting Coach Bo to bring Jordan to Utah State. I am most grateful to USU that my son will have a Bachelor's degree this December.
Let's face it, if he didn't get his head out of the sky and get the Aggies to a better record than 3-9, Texas Tech would not have been an option. He didn't get us to 11-2 without a little, correction, ALOT of help from the coaches around him and at the end, took allllll the credit. He could not have accomplished what he accomplished with his coaching style and I never heard him acknowledge the people surrounding him.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 16th, 2019, 9:11 am

bull wrote:
Look, disgruntled players and parents will always have something to b**** about. The bottom line is Coach Wells did a tremendous amount of good for this program.
He did. I agree and I'm very grateful we had him as a coach at USU.

The goal posts seem to have shifted a bit though. That wasn't the topic at hand really. The topic was discussing how people could love Gary but dislike Wells.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 16th, 2019, 9:25 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 9:11 am
bull wrote:
He did. I agree and I'm very grateful we had him as a coach at USU.

The goal posts seem to have shifted a bit though. That wasn't the topic at hand really. The topic was discussing how people could love Gary but dislike Wells.
And that was a shift from the original post about MW having a terrible record in 1 possession games.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyutahcountyaggie

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 16th, 2019, 11:01 am

He's an Aggie. So he isn't perfect. None of us is. We should support him and wish him every success. I e-mailed him several times a few years ago during the season and he was very gracious in responding every single time. Many former players speak highly of him, including Kyle Whimpey very recently. Stop bagging on MW.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
JSHarvey

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 16th, 2019, 11:07 am

It's a little like a bad break up over here. Who cares what our ex girlfriend is doing? Stop checking Facebook and Instagram and just let her go. We broke up and we've moved on, no need to bash the ex.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 16th, 2019, 11:11 am

Smokin Joe wrote:He's an Aggie. So he isn't perfect. None of us is. We should support him and wish him every success. I e-mailed him several times a few years ago during the season and he was very gracious in responding every single time. Many former players speak highly of him, including Kyle Whimpey very recently. Stop bagging on MW.
It’s not really your place to tell other people how to feel about Matt Wells.

I met him face to face once and he was extremely gracious and friendly. I like him and like what he did but other people are entitled to their opinions based on their experiences.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 16th, 2019, 11:29 am

In summary:

Matt Wells did a lot of good for Utah State, including setting several records while at the helm
Some people think he rode the coattails of Gary
Some people think he's rude while others think he's great
Some players didn't like him while others have touted him
Wells now coaches Texas Tech and many on the board follow him still
Some wish him well while others hope he fails
Wells is bad in games within a single touchdown, while Gary is average

Did I miss anything?

Carry on...
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyProvoAggiejpswensen

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » October 16th, 2019, 11:43 am

I've never met Matt Wells.
These users thanked the author pablohoney for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 16th, 2019, 11:45 am

2004AG wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:11 am
Smokin Joe wrote:He's an Aggie. So he isn't perfect. None of us is. We should support him and wish him every success. I e-mailed him several times a few years ago during the season and he was very gracious in responding every single time. Many former players speak highly of him, including Kyle Whimpey very recently. Stop bagging on MW.
It’s not really your place to tell other people how to feel about Matt Wells.

I met him face to face once and he was extremely gracious and friendly. I like him and like what he did but other people are entitled to their opinions based on their experiences.

Its really not your place to tell others not to tell others how to feel about MW either. Kapiche? ;)

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 16th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Texas Tech got hosed against Baylor. Baylor’s center snapped a ball off his leg in first overtime, TT recovered setting up easy win. Refs decided it was illegal snap moved it back 5 yards and Baylor went on to win. Big 12 later said refs were wrong but are not going to change results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » October 16th, 2019, 10:17 pm

I met GA at an event with alums and he acted like he no way wanted to be there. I sat next to him and asked about his dogs and even joked about his tattoo. He was not much of a conversationalist, that’s his business. He has failed at end of BIG games, glad to have his energy and love for the players back.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 16th, 2019, 10:59 pm

The three or four times I interacted with Wells he was great. He can be a little salty in interviews, especially with stupid questions. I never cared for the coach speak, but anything else is offensive to someone.

I know two players that were recruited by Wells. He was decent to them. Coincidentally they both LOVE Maile. They were both rather indifferent to Wells leaving despite thinking he was a good coach.

I’ve also heard a few stories all too similar to Tania’s. I think she is sincere and honest in what she says. It is unfortunate, but real.

Lastly, I think GA is fake as hell. Every time I’ve met him he is completely disinterested in even being there. He doesn’t have the fire he has the first time and if you listen to him, he never really says anything substantive. Her could sell snow to an Eskimo. I’m glad some players are all in with him, some barely know him. In the end as long as Frank is here, I think most players are going to be just fine.

To share an example, one defensive player was struggling with some of the drills at the start of camp. Coach Maile said some encouraging words and told the kid to come see him for some help. He took the time to give the kid some advice and pointers and the kid is having success and gaining confidence. Maile is an offensive coach this year. Maile literally held this team together when Wells bailed on us. I know he worked with a lot recruits, players, and their families to steady the boat.

In the end, every head coach is a mercenary and will follow the almighty dollar wherever it takes them. If GA got a half decent offer he’d be gone tomorrow. I may be jaded, but as long as the coach wins, doesn’t cheat, and doesn’t abuse kids then I could care less.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 16th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Is Wells the only head coach to come from Gary’s tutelage? We know all about the guys at LSU but I don’t know enough to say there are other head coaches that started with Gary. I’m just wondering what Gary’s investment is with how Matt does?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 16th, 2019, 11:10 pm

I don’t get the impression those two like each other, let alone talk. Say there, did Gary give Matt any good recommendations for head coaching jobs he applied for?

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 16th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Yeah, but coaches sort of have hierarchy and it makes you look better if coaches are successful that you took a shot at. Makes you look like you know stuff others don’t.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 17th, 2019, 11:34 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:07 pm
Is Wells the only head coach to come from Gary’s tutelage? We know all about the guys at LSU but I don’t know enough to say there are other head coaches that started with Gary. I’m just wondering what Gary’s investment is with how Matt does?
Per Wikipedia (though I don't think a couple of these count):

Brent Brennan (San Jose State)
Kalani Sitake
Mike Sanford (Indiana State)
Matt Wells
Thomas Hammock (Northern Illinois)

I think Aranda could be a HC anywhere he wanted to be, but he seems happy as a DC.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 17th, 2019, 3:34 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 11:34 am
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

Kalani Sitake
Matt Wells

I think Aranda could be a HC anywhere he wanted to be, but he seems happy as a DC.
He'd likely see a pay cut!

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 3:34 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 11:34 am
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

Kalani Sitake
Matt Wells

He'd likely see a pay cut!
Yeah looks like he would. He's making $2.5 mil a year for four years and it's all guaranteed. :shock:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 17th, 2019, 9:29 pm

Sanford belongs on the Urban Meyer tree as he was a HC before coming here.

Hail Aggies!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 18th, 2019, 8:56 pm

All I can say is
1. If Matt Wells goes 2-3 the next five games(no better, no worse), we would have to the cheer for the Longhorns against him.
2. If Matt Wells goes 0-4, 3-1 or 4-0 the next four games, along with Kansas State going 1-4 in the next five, we would have to cheer for him against K State. K State going 0-5, 3-2, 4-1, or 5-0 in the next five along with Wells going 1-3 or 2-2 in the next four puts us in the position to cheer for K State against him.
And those scenarios have nothing to do with fans or Wells being our former coach.

Locked Previous topicNext topic