Matt Wells

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1

Re: Matt Wells

Post by mcaggie1 » October 13th, 2019, 2:58 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 12th, 2019, 11:08 pm
This board’s ability to s*** on the coach who brought Utah State the longest period of sustained football success in recent memory never ceases to amaze me.

I don’t really understand why Gary is so loved and Matt is so hated. They both do things that drive me bananas, but both are good (not great) football coaches.
Yep

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 13th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Wells and TT got screwed in one of the OTs. A fumble by Baylor was called a false start.. Big12 agreed today.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 13th, 2019, 9:48 pm

The center jacked up a snap and they ruled it an illegal snap instead of a fumble. What a terrible coach to not get the right call on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 13th, 2019, 10:07 pm

The snap call was garbage.
Still not sure would have won if it was called correctly though.

bull

Post by bull » October 13th, 2019, 10:26 pm

I am usually a MW defender, wish he would have stayed and hope he does well. But, he did drive me crazy in tight games. The New Mexico game of the 3-9 season haunts me. This years Wake Forest game is helping me forget it though.
These users thanked the author bull for the post:
Sl7vk

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 13th, 2019, 10:34 pm

bull wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 10:26 pm
I am usually a MW defender, wish he would have stayed and hope he does well. But, he did drive me crazy in tight games. The New Mexico game of the 3-9 season haunts me. This years Wake Forest game is helping me forget it though.
I think @ Nevada 2016 is the pinnacle of bad late game coaching.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 13th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Sl7vk wrote:The snap call was garbage.
Still not sure would have won if it was called correctly though.
They scored a touchdown on the drive to tie the game in OT because of the garbage call. So TT would have win has the refs not completely crapped the bed.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 14th, 2019, 9:40 am

Wells put a string of bad late games together during the 3-9 season. I didn't even watch the UNR game because I was so annoyed by the UNM game at home that year. He and Kent Myers completely botched the end of that game.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » October 14th, 2019, 9:46 am

bigbluebaby wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Oh and 2 time MWC coach of the year.

I guess the rest of the league and coaches and media are all dummies.
Regardless.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 14th, 2019, 9:47 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
This board’s ability to s*** on the coach who brought Utah State the longest period of sustained football success in recent memory never ceases to amaze me.

I don’t really understand why Gary is so loved and Matt is so hated. They both do things that drive me bananas, but both are good (not great) football coaches.
I don't think it's really all that hard to understand. I'm going to attempt to lay this out. Let me state that I do like Wells and wish him success. I can see why Wells is not liked by people though.

#1: Matt had an ability to be condescending to people and arrogant. That rubbed people the wrong way. It also seemed evident he played favorites with different kids on the team and that bugged people too. Take the example from Saturday's game when he's on camera just chewing his D coordinator act and treating him like he's an idiot.

#2: A lot of players also didn't like Wells. That was no secret. I think he got a lot better at this his last two years. But for the first couple years he was quite a jerk to a lot of kids. It got a point current players would tell certain recruits on visits to not come here. Ask Tania on here about which coaching staff the kids like more.

#3: Yes, Wells left for a better job and more money and we all would've done the same. That doesn't change the fact that he still did it. If some female leaves you for a better looking man with more money, does it make it hurt any less?

#4: Examples like this tweet right here from Jaylen Warren's dad. These type of things seemed like a regular occurrence.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkJSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 14th, 2019, 9:57 am

Sometimes written messages on the internet don't properly carry the nuance that exists in an argument. Too many times, these messages come across as black and white. In any argument, there is far more gray area than can be read in written form. I believe this is a big issue with current discourse regarding politics.

Wells did a pretty good job as our coach. I appreciate what he did last year. I can also put it into proper perspective as I look at the level of competition we faced. It was still a fun year. I never really liked Wells' shtick. I found it annoying. I'm not sad that he is gone, but I also appreciate what he built here.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyJSHarvey

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 14th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:47 am
ineptimusprime wrote:

I don't think it's really all that hard to understand. I'm going to attempt to lay this out. Let me state that I do like Wells and wish him success. I can see why Wells is not liked by people though.

#1: Matt had an ability to be condescending to people and arrogant. That rubbed people the wrong way. It also seemed evident he played favorites with different kids on the team and that bugged people too. Take the example from Saturday's game when he's on camera just chewing his D coordinator act and treating him like he's an idiot.

#2: A lot of players also didn't like Wells. That was no secret. I think he got a lot better at this his last two years. But for the first couple years he was quite a jerk to a lot of kids. It got a point current players would tell certain recruits on visits to not come here. Ask Tania on here about which coaching staff the kids like more.

#3: Yes, Wells left for a better job and more money and we all would've done the same. That doesn't change the fact that he still did it. If some female leaves you for a better looking man with more money, does it make it hurt any less?

#4: Examples like this tweet right here from Jaylen Warren's dad. These type of things seemed like a regular occurrence.
Anybody who truly believes that a professional college coach taking a better job is like having your girlfriend leave for a better-looking guy probably deserves to get hurt. 🤷‍♂️

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 14th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

You just wasted 10 minutes of your life. Its been explained a million times why we all "like" Matt Wells and wish him well, but why some of us weren't heart broken when he left, and it just goes in one ear and out the other.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkhipsterdoofus21

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 14th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

True statement. Coach Wells was not a favorite among his players.
He was absolutely condescending, arrogant and FAKE!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkutahcountyaggie

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » October 14th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Well like him or hate him, the big 12 officiating office admitted the crew working his game Saturday totally blew an OT fumble call allowing Baylor to retain possession and ultimately win the game. Doesn’t change the results... but sometimes guys can’t catch a break even when it’s earned.

bull

Post by bull » October 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This is exactly what we need to stop posting. If you want to talk about your personal experience and how you personally perceive him or what you think he could do to be better, then go for it. Saying someone was “absolutely” anything is virtually always wrong. You’re talking about one of the most successful coaches in Aggie history and a huge majority of Aggie nation stands behind him. So let’s stop with the slander.
These users thanked the author bull for the post:
ThunderAggie

aggieaz

Post by aggieaz » October 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm

bull wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:23 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

This is exactly what we need to stop posting. If you want to talk about your personal experience and how you personally perceive him or what you think he could do to be better, then go for it. Saying someone was “absolutely” anything is virtually always wrong. You’re talking about one of the most successful coaches in Aggie history and a huge majority of Aggie nation stands behind him. So let’s stop with the slander.
Bull- I assume you are aware taniataylor is Jordan Nathan's mother and has an inside perspective the majority of the fans do not see. I appreciate and respect her judgement/opinion more than 90% of other posters, even with some absolute statements at times.
These users thanked the author aggieaz for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22utahcountyaggiesneed

bull

Post by bull » October 14th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Yes I am fully aware. She could be Matt’s sister and my take wouldn’t be any different. Tania has been a solid contributor no doubt. She has also been wrong multiple times. In this post I believe her perspective is narrow and emotionally driven off course.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 14th, 2019, 6:52 pm

bull wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:45 pm
Yes I am fully aware. She could be Matt’s sister and my take wouldn’t be any different. Tania has been a solid contributor no doubt. She has also been wrong multiple times. In this post I believe her perspective is narrow and emotionally driven off course.
I’ve seen Wells be that way to media members, assistant coaches, and players. I’ve also heard it from the mouths of multiple players. This isn’t making stuff up here there are a lot of people that have seen it and felt that way.

Sure it’s subjective to people’s opinions, but if people feel that’s what they saw, then to them it’s the truth. And the whole point here was explaining why people have been rubbed the wrong way by Wells.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 14th, 2019, 6:52 pm

bull wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

I think it’s pretty safe to assume she is posting what she “personally perceives” and her “personal experience”.

bull

Post by bull » October 14th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Pretty safe or “absolutely” safe?

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm

bull wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

It would be liable and not slander since these are written words. Having written for the Utah Statesman I should know!
Either way forums are an outlet for people’s opinions so don’t get all disingenuously offended.

bull

Post by bull » October 14th, 2019, 8:45 pm

I’m not offended. It’s just my opinion that your opinions (stated as facts) are wrong. Most people don’t feel the way you do. Most people didn’t experience Matt the way you did.

letsbehonest
Has thanked: 0

Post by letsbehonest » October 14th, 2019, 8:49 pm

People have different experiences and different opinions and that is okay. I had the chance to meet with coach Wells and found him to be straightforward and very thoughtful. My nephew played for him but almost ended up transferring. Coach Wells was very honest with him and told him he wouldn’t play much if any at USU. It was very difficult for my nephew to hear but it was the truth. He told him he could transfer and Wells was willing to help him make the necessary contacts. My nephew decided to stick it out at USU and played on one special teams unit his senior year. That’s it. He built a strong bond with coach and they still talk. The first few weeks after their conversation I never thought that would happen. He hated coach and felt he had no clue. Not sure what changed or why he decided to stay but he is happy he did and loves Coach Wells.
Last edited by letsbehonest on October 14th, 2019, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author letsbehonest for the post:
JSHarvey

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 14th, 2019, 8:50 pm

There are enough players and former players calling him "The Vice Principal" in the hearing of friends and fans to credit what Tania's saying.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 14th, 2019, 11:07 pm

bull wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:00 pm
Pretty safe or “absolutely” safe?
Bull - I can 100% tell u my personal experience with Wells. He ABSOLUTELY was the things I described. Do u think he went out of his way be to that way with just me or could it be possible that he pretty much was as I described with most people he encountered?
How do feel about him recruiting for TT while he was on recruiting trips for USU, on your dime if you are a donor?
How do u feel about him attempting and taking players that were USU student athletes?
I was wrong about Jamarcus, because no one knew, not even Jordan. No one knew because, it was a lil “suspect” as to where he decided to go.
Im not enforcing my opinion or beliefs on anyone. Roy simply said to ask me and I answered based on MINE & MY SON’s personal experiences with him.

BTW - his best season here should be credited to John Hartwell since he made sure Wells let OC Yost do his job

ONE MORE THING BULL ~ I'm not overly emotional, so for you to say I was emotionally driven off course is not a true statement - I really only get emotional when Jordan does something crazy like HURDLES other players or screws up a play and I'm screaming at the TV or in the stands.... you can't point out one emotional rant I've had on this board...ever....:shock:
Last edited by taniataylor on October 15th, 2019, 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOaggies22USU78utahcountyaggie

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 14th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Lmao... 99.9% of the stuff on here isn't fact... IT IS A FAN BOARD. What is wrong with her posting anything she wants?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 15th, 2019, 12:53 am

Sl7vk wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 8:10 pm
bull wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

It would be liable and not slander since these are written words. Having written for the Utah Statesman I should know!
Either way forums are an outlet for people’s opinions so don’t get all disingenuously offended.
It’s not liable it’s libel and opinions are generally not defamatory

As for Wells, ask yourself why so many personally dislike the most successful coach in modern Aggie history and maybe there’s more than a little truth in what Tania is saying
Last edited by Intermeddler on October 15th, 2019, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 15th, 2019, 1:33 am

Intermeddler wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 12:53 am
Sl7vk wrote:
bull wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

It’s not liable it’s lible and opinions are generally not defamatory

As for Wells, ask yourself why so many personally dislike the most successful coach in modern Aggie history and maybe there’s more than a little truth in what Tania is saying
It’s actually “libel.” ;)

No question that Wells was not well-liked by many players. I found him a little grating and annoying in interviews. The end of game decision-making was perplexing at times (the same is true of Gary, though). Gary does seem more genuine and likable.

Wells did, however, get us to bowl games. That’s really all I care about. I’m not gonna crap on him when he overall did a good job here.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 15th, 2019, 1:54 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 1:33 am
Intermeddler wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 12:53 am
Sl7vk wrote:
bull wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

It’s not liable it’s lible and opinions are generally not defamatory

It’s actually “libel.” :bangwall:

No question that Wells was not well-liked by many players. I found him a little grating and annoying in interviews. The end of game decision-making was perplexing at times (the same is true of Gary, though). Gary does seem more genuine and likable.

Wells did, however, get us to bowl games. That’s really all I care about. I’m not gonna crap on him when he overall did a good job here.
Perfect time for a typo :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

He did do a solid job overall but I totally understand why people don’t like him

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 15th, 2019, 6:21 am

I think the vast majority of us are glad for what he did and wish him well but weren't panicked when he left. He never seemed bring anything that couldn't be replaced. Gary, first go round, did the impossible. I think that's why you tend to get a Saint Gary and Jerkface Wells emotional climate surrounding the posts.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 2):
QuackAttackAggieBustaMcNutt

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 15th, 2019, 6:36 am

I'll never get over him opening and closing his hand in my face at Maverick.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttaggies22

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » October 15th, 2019, 7:40 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 6:36 am
he did that to you, too? what an (I can't express myself without swearing).

LifelongAggieFan
Has thanked: 0

Post by LifelongAggieFan » October 15th, 2019, 7:55 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 6:36 am

At the 2017 Aggie Family Fun Day, my 11 year old son was in the line to get autographs from Dallin Leavitt and Jalen Davis. While waiting in line we noticed Coach Wells about 10 feet away. My son stepped out of line to see if he could get Coach's autograph, as my boy got close to Coach, he stuck out his and with his palm out, as if he was saying, "stop there kid, I don't have time for you." that experience made me realize what an arrogant A**Hole Matt is and I lost all respect for him.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » October 15th, 2019, 7:55 am

He did take a game ball to Nightrunner in the hospital.

Locked Previous topicNext topic