Student tradition that should stop (3rd down identity)

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Student tradition that should stop (3rd down identity)

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 14th, 2019, 9:00 am

This has been happening for about 8 years now, but it's a tradition by the students that bugs the heck out of me. All of the students hold up 3 fingers when it's 3rd down. Somehow, someone successful implemented a strategy that gets all of the students to not make any noise with their hands when it's 3rd down. It's crazy and I wish it would stop.

One could argue that "Well it let's people know it's 3rd down so they start yelling." I think it does for some, but I've observed a large majority standing there quiet with 3 fingers in the air.

I think the real answer to fixing the problem is creating a 3rd down identity in the stadium that we don't have. We need the same song to play every time there's a 3rd down and have that be the only time that song is played (For example Hells Bells by ACDC). And then have the large video screen showing some 3rd down graphic saying "Get LOUD" with a digital decibel meter up on the screen or something like that.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
thegreendalegelf

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Student tradition that should stop (3rd down identity)

Post by NVAggie » October 14th, 2019, 9:15 am

Just have the band drums bang a beat with a graphic.

usu99

Post by usu99 » October 14th, 2019, 9:17 am

They are just following the cub scout rule of silence when 3 fingers are up.
These users thanked the author usu99 for the post:
lionhead

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 14th, 2019, 9:30 am

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 14th, 2019, 10:40 am

At Wake they had a pre recorded video of 3 of their players telling people to get loud. They weren’t exactly good at stopping the pumped in sound when the play clock started and assisted in giving some pumped in sound.

I do agree we need a better identity on third down. Our traditions have rested on their laurels for too long.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » October 14th, 2019, 10:43 am

usu99 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:17 am
Better than the middle finger up!!

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 14th, 2019, 10:43 am

I told people while i was there to clap and yell and everyone just held up the 3 fingers.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » October 14th, 2019, 10:48 am

I don't get this hangup. We had a lot of noise at our last home game. I think there were a few 3rd down false starts by CSU that can be attributed to the crowd noise.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
AggieUprising50

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 14th, 2019, 10:55 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 10:48 am
I don't get this hangup. We had a lot of noise at our last home game. I think there were a few 3rd down false starts by CSU that can be attributed to the crowd noise.
I hate to say this but go watch a Utah game and what they do on 3rd down. They do it right and it easily trumps anything we do.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 14th, 2019, 10:57 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 10:48 am
Agreed. I've been at all our home games and the students are loud on 3rd down. I couldn't care less if they have fingers in the air.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » October 14th, 2019, 10:58 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:00 am
This has been happening for about 8 years now, but it's a tradition by the students that bugs the heck out of me. All of the students hold up 3 fingers when it's 3rd down. Somehow, someone successful implemented a strategy that gets all of the students to not make any noise with their hands when it's 3rd down. It's crazy and I wish it would stop.

One could argue that "Well it let's people know it's 3rd down so they start yelling." I think it does for some, but I've observed a large majority standing there quiet with 3 fingers in the air.

I think the real answer to fixing the problem is creating a 3rd down identity in the stadium that we don't have. We need the same song to play every time there's a 3rd down and have that be the only time that song is played (For example Hells Bells by ACDC). And then have the large video screen showing some 3rd down graphic saying "Get LOUD" with a digital decibel meter up on the screen or something like that.
In all fairness, the students standing there silently with 3 fingers up.....probably aren't going to be making any hand noise anyway.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 14th, 2019, 11:00 am

I think we need to focus on getting the whole stadium to stand for the fight song and the Scottsman before we worry about what the students do.

That's the main difference (other than stadium capacity) between us and big time programs.

At Wisconsin, LSU, Tennessee, etc. EVERYBODY gets involved, not just the students.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyutahcountyaggiesneed

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 14th, 2019, 11:03 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:00 am
I think we need to focus on getting the whole stadium to stand for the fight song and the Scottsman before we worry about what the students do.

That's the main difference (other than stadium capacity) between us and big time programs.

At Wisconsin, LSU, Tennessee, etc. EVERYBODY gets involved, not just the students.
While I agree, but I'm addressing the students thing because they seem more willing. They're simply holding up 3 fingers because that's what other people around them are doing and they're just trying to cheer. Whoever started it wasn't really thinking things through.

Give the students a little direction with the video screen and through the speakers and I think the noise could get a lot louder.

But yes, the regular crowd at Romney stadium is wayyy quieter then the regular crowd at other programs.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 14th, 2019, 11:09 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:03 am
AggieUprising50 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 11:00 am

While I agree, but I'm addressing the students thing because they seem more willing. They're simply holding up 3 fingers because that's what other people around them are doing and they're just trying to cheer. Whoever started it wasn't really thinking things through.

Give the students a little direction with the video screen and through the speakers and I think the noise could get a lot louder.

But yes, the regular crowd at Romney stadium is wayyy quieter then the regular crowd at other programs.
Look I don't care what the students do. If they get a new third down tradition. Great. If not, what they do right now doesn't bother me as long as they get loud.

If it were up to me, I think they should do the same distractions that they do at the basketball games to distract the free-throws. It'd be easy to coordinate and if everyone's doing it, it would be a distraction.

Back to my main point. Could you imagine what the Scottsman would look like in a sold out Maverik Stadium with everybody standing and participating? I think that would do a lot more for the overall atmosphere than a new 3rd down tradition for the students.

CanofShiz

Post by CanofShiz » October 14th, 2019, 1:09 pm

3rd down is the ONLY time everyone is loud. 🤔🤭

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 21st, 2019, 10:22 am

So...last game against Nevada this actually happened and it was great! There was a big "Get Loud!" on the video screen every 3rd down and noticeable song to pump the crowd up every time (It was typically 'Hells Bells' but it was also mixed up a little). I think it helped too.

I want to give kudos to a job well done and not just complain when I feel like there's an area for improvement. So, kudos to the stadium production crew for the Nevada game and the job they did.

:cheers:
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfBigBlueDart

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » October 21st, 2019, 11:06 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 10:22 am
So...last game against Nevada this actually happened and it was great! There was a big "Get Loud!" on the video screen every 3rd down and noticeable song to pump the crowd up every time (It was typically 'Hells Bells' but it was also mixed up a little). I think it helped too.

I want to give kudos to a job well done and not just complain when I feel like there's an area for improvement. So, kudos to the stadium production crew for the Nevada game and the job they did.

I noticed they gave alot more time and freedom to the band to play this game as well!

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » October 21st, 2019, 11:17 am

Well now that the 3rd down tradition has been taken care of let me start another complaint. What is up with not being uniform while doing the Scotsman? I feel like most fans on the west side are lost and are can't figure out that they should be starting it by going to their right.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 21st, 2019, 11:20 am

lionhead wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 10:43 am
usu99 wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:17 am
Better than the middle finger up!!
I'm good with it, as long as it's in the direction of the opposition.

ootek

Post by ootek » October 22nd, 2019, 12:32 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:So...last game against Nevada this actually happened and it was great! There was a big "Get Loud!" on the video screen every 3rd down and noticeable song to pump the crowd up every time (It was typically 'Hells Bells' but it was also mixed up a little). I think it helped too.

I do feel like our third down song should be “Bulls on Parade” every time. They play it occasionally, but not much. I think it’s perfect for us and should be THE third down song
These users thanked the author ootek for the post:
BearLakeMonster

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » October 22nd, 2019, 1:40 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:So...last game against Nevada this actually happened and it was great! There was a big "Get Loud!" on the video screen every 3rd down and noticeable song to pump the crowd up every time (It was typically 'Hells Bells' but it was also mixed up a little). I think it helped too.

I want to see the 2nd down highlight, not a message to be loud!

sneed

Post by sneed » October 22nd, 2019, 3:33 pm

BYU has some very loud artificial noise on 3rd down.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 22nd, 2019, 3:39 pm

sneed wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 3:33 pm
BYU has some very loud artificial noise on 3rd down.
Everything at BYU is artificial...

Locked Previous topicNext topic