2020 USU Football Offers and Commits

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

2020 USU Football Offers and Commits

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Aggie Football 2020 Commits:
https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... l/Commits/

Aggie Football 2020 Offensive + Athlete Offers:
https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... ll/Offers/

Aggie Football 2020 Defensive Offers:
https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 130578068/

Where the Scholarships Are Going 2020
https://247sports.com/college/utah-stat ... 132520857/
Last edited by aggies22 on October 25th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyNavyBlueAggie

Roy McAvoy

Re: 2020 USU Football Offers and Commits

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 14th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Man, with RM's we're already at 8 guys for the class. I'm sure there's a handful of push forwards from this year too. The class is probably already halfway filled up. It's early, but here's a few position groups I think we'll need to bolster after this year in this order:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 2:54 pm
Man, with RM's we're already at 8 guys for the class. I'm sure there's a handful of push forwards from this year too. The class is probably already halfway filled up. It's early, but here's a few position groups I think we'll need to bolster after this year in this order:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back
We are already half way full. Demarcus Griffin is still coming in January as well.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back
Also several of our "official" offers were mailed out to defensive backs. The defensive backs were Jamal Potts (FL), Zavion Reese (CA) and Eddie Jackson (FL). Others that received "official" offers recently were ILB Sione Fotu (UT), RB Nathaniel Noel (FL), and WR Silas Bolden (WR). We are also HEAVILY pursuing TE Austin Bolt (ID).

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 14th, 2019, 3:04 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 3:01 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back
Also several of our "official" offers were mailed out to defensive backs. The defensive backs were Jamal Potts (FL), Zavion Reese (CA) and Eddie Jackson (FL). Others that received "official" offers recently were ILB Sione Fotu (UT), RB Nathaniel Noel (FL), and WR Silas Bolden (WR). We are also HEAVILY pursuing TE Austin Bolt (ID).
I think a few of those positions really need some JC Guys/Grad Transfers that can contribute immediately.

I guess if Mo Uasike gets moved back to do the DL we'd be shored up there and if Christian Folau works out and joins the LB based off the RM's we have already have there we probably have almost as many guys on scholarship at LB as we would want to have. Right now it seems Noah Young & Meitzenheimer would be the starters.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 15th, 2019, 5:08 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 3:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back
I think a few of those positions really need some JC Guys/Grad Transfers that can contribute immediately.

I guess if Mo Uasike gets moved back to do the DL we'd be shored up there and if Christian Folau works out and joins the LB based off the RM's we have already have there we probably have almost as many guys on scholarship at LB as we would want to have. Right now it seems Noah Young & Meitzenheimer would be the starters.
You must be assuming david Woodward will enter the draft?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 15th, 2019, 5:12 am

aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back
That is some guys with significant interest elsewhere as well. Would love to see any of them sign here.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 15th, 2019, 7:14 am

slcagg wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 5:12 am
aggies22 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

- Cornerback
- Defensive Tackle
- Wide Receiver
- Safety
- Linebacker
- Running Back
That is some guys with significant interest elsewhere as well. Would love to see any of them sign here.
Jamal Potts plays for none other than Henry Colombi Sr. We've briefly spoken about Jamal and he is definitely enamored with his P5 offers but Coach Colombi is trying to help him see the light.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggRoy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 10th, 2019, 10:36 am

So, how many spots do we even have left? (assuming all commits sign)

1. Upton Stout CB
2. Nicolas Session S
3. Dahlin Mesake DE
4. Yaro Duvalko QB
5. Isaiah Afatasi RB
6. Stephen Kotsanlee P
7. Mata Hola LB
8. A.J. LLoa LB
9. Josh Sterzer DE
10. Ismael (Izzy) Vaifo'ou LB
11. Damarcus Griffin CB
12. Nick Heninger (push forward?) DE
13. Terin Adams (push forward) CB
14. Keegan Duncan (push forward) RB

Are there any other push forwards I'm missing?

This list would indicate we only have 11 spots left. I see a glaring need for JUCO/Grad Transfer DB's and WR's. If we get get Leilua back for the DL next year that helps a ton.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on September 10th, 2019, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » September 10th, 2019, 10:45 am

Gary mentioned in a coaches show that we only had 5 spots left. I believe that was before Keegan Duncan committed and definitely before the 2 this weekend. Gonna be a small class.
These users thanked the author BustaMcNutt for the post (total 2):
aggies22Jjoey52

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 10th, 2019, 10:52 am

BustaMcNutt wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
Gary mentioned in a coaches show that we only had 5 spots left. I believe that was before Keegan Duncan committed and definitely before the 2 this weekend. Gonna be a small class.
:shock: Well alright then. There must have been a lot of push forwards from last year. It'll be interesting to see how those spots get used. I think we really need to add immediate help at WR for when Mariner graduates & at DB for obvious reasons and DJ Williams will graduate.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 10th, 2019, 11:02 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:52 am
BustaMcNutt wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:45 am
:shock: Well alright then. There must have been a lot of push forwards from last year. It'll be interesting to see how those spots get used. I think we really need to add immediate help at WR for when Mariner graduates & at DB for obvious reasons and DJ Williams will graduate.
There is 8 push forwards. Unless someone transfers once the season ends or has to medically retire we only have 3 or 4 spots left. Sometimes there is the option to have scholarships that you can push back, we are waaaay past being able to do that.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » September 10th, 2019, 5:38 pm

I have it my mind we had and ASU transfer prior to Adams. Memory is it was a LB. But not seeing anyone that fits the criteria in last year’s or this year’s class. Am I misremembering or just not seeing where he is listed.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 10th, 2019, 5:48 pm

You are thinking of Christian Lavalle. Came as a LB but got moved to DT I believe.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 11th, 2019, 6:00 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:48 pm
You are thinking of Christian Lavalle. Came as a LB but got moved to DT I believe.
Correct, Christian greyshirted at Arizona State and then followed Dave Patterson here.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 11th, 2019, 7:53 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I wonder how Christian's bulking is going. He's already gained (according to the official roster versus his recruiting profile) like 35/40 lbs. That's impressive enough, but it's hard to continue to bulk up.

He must be eating and lifting like no one else. It'll be hard to play DT at 240 lbs- especially with guys like Dean Rice who also seemed to be a talented DT and already have the size.

However, Gary seems to know what position to put people in and switch them, but at 240 lbs right now, that's a good size for a linebacker- and it will be VERY HARD to gain another 30 lbs of muscle for Lavalle to be where I would suspect the staff wants him to be to be able to play DT. He's probably at like 5,200 calories per day for his level of activity and what I predict his bulking goal is.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » September 11th, 2019, 11:00 am

I think we're going to see this concept of "push forwards" become more a thing. Some will go to prep schools where they will get a year of college prepratory work without starting their clocks. But you have to believe that with 45 kids (Gary's words) in the last class, and 20 of those pushed forward to the 2020 class, there is either another 20 or so signed to be pushed forward, or their is going to be a mass "thinning" of the ranks of current players, who will be "counseled" out so that more new kids can be signed.

With this kind of a signing strategy, I think the reality is that we have to expect higher numbers of graduate transfers out of the program at some stage. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Also, I think Christian LaVelle got moved to Defensive End, didnt he? That makes more sense.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » September 11th, 2019, 12:28 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:00 am
I think we're going to see this concept of "push forwards" become more a thing. Some will go to prep schools where they will get a year of college prepratory work without starting their clocks. But you have to believe that with 45 kids (Gary's words) in the last class, and 20 of those pushed forward to the 2020 class, there is either another 20 or so signed to be pushed forward, or their is going to be a mass "thinning" of the ranks of current players, who will be "counseled" out so that more new kids can be signed.

With this kind of a signing strategy, I think the reality is that we have to expect higher numbers of graduate transfers out of the program at some stage. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Also, I think Christian LaVelle got moved to Defensive End, didnt he? That makes more sense.
When Coach Andersen quotes the number 50 or whatever when talking about new kids he is including the incoming freshmen, JuCo transfers, Graduate transfers and walk-ons.

The reason you saw so many "push forward" guys this summer is that the previous coaching staff very poorly recruited RB, WR, and TE the past two or three years and the new staff knew they desperately needed to bolster the depth chart immediately with experienced players. It's kind of a dangerous game. When I say that, I mean the coaching staff is playing to win NOW. Which they should but with very few scholarships for the 2020 class, they MUST be very selective about who they accept a verbal commitment from. The 2021 class is going to be a BIG one for Coach Andersen and the boys.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 19th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:53 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
I wonder how Christian's bulking is going. He's already gained (according to the official roster versus his recruiting profile) like 35/40 lbs. That's impressive enough, but it's hard to continue to bulk up.

He must be eating and lifting like no one else. It'll be hard to play DT at 240 lbs- especially with guys like Dean Rice who also seemed to be a talented DT and already have the size.

However, Gary seems to know what position to put people in and switch them, but at 240 lbs right now, that's a good size for a linebacker- and it will be VERY HARD to gain another 30 lbs of muscle for Lavalle to be where I would suspect the staff wants him to be to be able to play DT. He's probably at like 5,200 calories per day for his level of activity and what I predict his bulking goal is.
Looking at 5'11" height and 240 lbs I'm not sure he can maintain quickness and speed by loading on more poundage. If he is playing on the line he would have to be quick like a snake and strong as a lion...unlikely combination with those dimensions. Just seems to me like a long shot and strange body configuration to play "D" line.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 1st, 2019, 1:46 pm

We had a nose tackle back in the early 80s named JL Coon. He was about 6' tall and maybe 240. Cat quick and also a wrestler. Was a very good player for us at NT back in the day. What is Lavalle's 40 time? Still like to seem him at LB.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 10th, 2019, 10:20 am

Question for those who know, but I saw that we offered Jacques Wilson a CB out of Cali. His hudl video looks pretty good, but do any of you have more insight?

Also, looking over the offer thread on 247 I noted that there are various different ways of indicating the athlete's interest in USU, some of which appear to mean the same thing (e.g. low/cool). Is there a scale for these?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 10th, 2019, 11:24 am

Are the "grant in aid" signees who all appear to be RMs walkons or just merely RMs? I'm unclear.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 10th, 2019, 11:32 am

USU78 wrote:
October 10th, 2019, 11:24 am
Are the "grant in aid" signees who all appear to be RMs walkons or just merely RMs? I'm unclear.
When a sign and send kid signs prior to leaving on his mission, rather than signing an LOI, they typically sign a grant-in-aid agreement, that is used as a written agreement that the University and the athletic program agrees to extend them the agreed-upon financial aid upon their return from their church service.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 13th, 2019, 9:23 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:00 am

LaVelle specs out right now at 5'11" and 225 lbs so definitely that position change makes a lot of sense.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 23rd, 2019, 2:59 pm

All I know is that the kid can flat block on kick-offs.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » October 25th, 2019, 2:10 pm

I just added a link to my "Where the Scholarships are Going 2020" page.

loganaggie3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by loganaggie3 » November 17th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Someone involved in recruiting..... why have we not offered Jake Griffin out of AZ? His dad played at USU and now he has 11 D1 offers including many from the PAC-12. I believe we could have secured a commitment early but I think that’s long gone now. What was the hold up on him? Rumor has it he wanted Utah State to begin with....

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm

loganaggie3 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 2:43 pm
Someone involved in recruiting..... why have we not offered Jake Griffin out of AZ? His dad played at USU and now he has 11 D1 offers including many from the PAC-12. I believe we could have secured a commitment early but I think that’s long gone now. What was the hold up on him? Rumor has it he wanted Utah State to begin with....
I haven't heard his name mentioned in recruiting circles. If his initial recruitment began to take off while Matt Wells was the Head Coach here, Matt despised having people suggest kids that they thought he should be recruiting. In most cases, if a kid was suggested to Matt, Matt would go out of his way NOT to recruit that kid. I personally, took a 4* top 10 JuCo CB on an unofficial visit 2 summers ago. This kid was BEGGING for Utah State to offer him. He never got a serious look from the Matt Wells coaching staff. He initially verbally committed to LSU before signing with West Virginia last December. Had LSU not wanted to turn him into a safety, he would have signed with LSU.

Want another example? Riley Whimpey. He has started several games at none other than Boise State. Riley is the younger brother of Kevin and Kyle Whimpey. They pled with Matt to sign their brother, Matt refused. By the time Matt gave Riley even a sniff, that bridge had long been burned and Riley is a bronco.

I hope this answers some questions, if you have more you would like to discuss, you can always PM me!
Last edited by aggies22 on November 17th, 2019, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 5:27 pm
loganaggie3 wrote:
I haven't heard his name mentioned in recruiting circles. If his initial recruitment began to take off while Matt Wells was the Head Coach here, Matt despised having people suggest kids that they thought he should be recruiting. In most cases, if a kid was suggested to Matt, Matt would go out of his way NOT to recruit that kid. I personally, took a 4* top 10 JuCo CB on an unofficial visit 2 summers ago. This kid was BEGGING for Utah State to offer him. He never got a serious look from the Matt Wells coaching staff. He initially verbally committed to LSU before signing with West Virginia last December. Had LSU not wanted to turn him into a safety, he would have signed with LSU.

Want another example? Riley Whimpey. He has started several games at none other than Boise State. Riley is the younger brother of Kevin and Kyle Whimpey. They plead with Matt to sign their brother, Matt refused. By the time Matt gave Riley even a sniff, that bridge had long been burned and Riley is a bronco.

I hope this answers some questions, if you have more you would like to discuss, you can always PM me!
Ask and ye shall receive!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm
aggies22 wrote:
loganaggie3 wrote:

Want another example? Riley Whimpey. He has started several games at none other than Boise State. Riley is the younger brother of Kevin and Kyle Whimpey. They plead with Matt to sign their brother, Matt refused. By the time Matt gave Riley even a sniff, that bridge had long been burned and Riley is a bronco.

Crazy! It's like anti-Matt.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 7:53 pm
aggies22 wrote:
loganaggie3 wrote:

Oh the power of 22. Lol.

loganaggie3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by loganaggie3 » November 17th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Sweet. I think all the offers just started coming. Hope we can get this kid. He would be a mission kid but an athletic 6’8” offensive tackle with P5 offers would be a good get for the Aggies.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 20th, 2019, 9:59 am

Sure would love to see us go after this JUCO guy at DT.

JJ Liavaa
https://247sports.com/Player/JJ-Liavaa-46046337/

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4368318/5d ... 035004676a

https://twitter.com/JJLIAVAA5

He's a load at 320+ and moves pretty well. This is the kind of run stopper we need and until just recently his best offer was Nevada. He has since picked up an offer from Arizona but he's Poly and LDS which is in our wheelhouse. Seems like a good fit at a spot we need.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic