The schedule situation

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

The schedule situation

Post by OKAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 1:49 pm

I have heard that we are about at the point where the season ticket books and parking passes have to go the printer. But we are still two games short of a full schedule, and as things stand now there is only one game in the Spectrum between November 18 and January 4 (Fresno, December 7). Going six weeks with only one home game won't help sell season tickets, which is a shame with the unprecedented preseason hype this team's getting.

If finding opponents willing to come to Logan isn't hard enough, the existing traveling schedule makes it even harder: games in Jamaica on November 22 and 24, at St. Marys on November 29 and San Jose on December 4 (will the team travel twice or stay in the Bay Area?), v. BYU at Vivint December 14, v. South Florida in Houston on December 18, and v. Florida in Miami on December 21. You might work in a home game between Fresno and BYU, but that week is Finals for our guys and likely everyone else's. Or maybe during the week after Christmas (but we're at UNLV on 1/1/20).

I assume other schools' ticket printing deadlines are about like ours, so even scheduling of additional road games might be problematic (you could always do a supplemental issuance of late-scheduled games, but I've never heard of us or anyone having to do that.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see us only have the existing 29 games on the schedule.

Nobody here knows anything.

Jjoey53

Re: The schedule situation

Post by Jjoey53 » October 2nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

It seems like they could get some regional teams to come in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 2nd, 2019, 2:29 pm

Let's get Sky View or Logan High to come play us, or I'm sure there are some good rec teams around Logan that would love to play in the Spectrum.

Is there a set number of games that college teams are required to play, or can we play a season without those two games that are said to be missing?

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 7:23 pm

Couldn't we grab an FCS school like we had last year? Seems as though we could get someone to come to the Spectrum for a game and a few additional dollars in their athletic budget. Seems quite late in the day to get much else scheduled unless the department is yet working something out. The school from Oregon last season gave us a decent first half of competition and the crowd was rewarded to see the bench players work up a sweat.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 11:34 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Couldn't we grab an FCS school like we had last year? Seems as though we could get someone to come to the Spectrum for a game and a few additional dollars in their athletic budget. Seems quite late in the day to get much else scheduled unless the department is yet working something out. The school from Oregon last season gave us a decent first half of competition and the crowd was rewarded to see the bench players work up a sweat.
FCS is for football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 3rd, 2019, 9:17 pm

Bring back the Gossner!

SLB

Post by SLB » October 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Anyone know any update or rumor about the schedule? It was said 2 more home games in Dec., and it is Oct. 4th. We have a preseason game this month and a month away from regular season play. It would nice to know what is happening. I hope for late Dec games that I can attend.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 4th, 2019, 1:09 pm

SLB wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Anyone know any update or rumor about the schedule? It was said 2 more home games in Dec., and it is Oct. 4th. We have a preseason game this month and a month away from regular season play. It would nice to know what is happening. I hope for late Dec games that I can attend.
There are no updates.

SLB

Post by SLB » October 4th, 2019, 1:28 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 1:09 pm
SLB wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm
There are no updates.
I have to imagine there will be some update within a week.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » October 4th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Poor planning by the AD. Too late to schedule folks now

Mysterion
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mysterion » October 4th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Chatman wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 5:54 pm
This one isn't actually the fault of the AD. There was supposed to be another on campus game from the Jamaica Classic that never came to be. Once that fell through it was too late to do anything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 5th, 2019, 7:25 am

Mysterion wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 9:07 pm
Chatman wrote:
This one isn't actually the fault of the AD. There was supposed to be another on campus game from the Jamaica Classic that never came to be. Once that fell through it was too late to do anything.
How did the Jamaica Classic team get out of coming to
Logan? Did they pay us some $$$?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 5th, 2019, 4:12 pm

If I rate the things I'm worried about from 1-10, this is a solid 0.01005

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 5th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Chatman wrote:Poor planning by the AD. Too late to schedule folks now
How do you know it’s poor planning? You aware of the work the AD has or hasn’t been doing? What’s your source? There are so many variables that play into scheduling, especially with the success of this team and problems getting to Logan.

These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
oleblu111

dogie

Post by dogie » October 5th, 2019, 9:42 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:25 am
Mysterion wrote:
Chatman wrote:
My understanding is that the Jamaica Classic promised the two home games to the four “marquee” teams (including USU) and then couldn’t deliver. It’s not a matter of one of the lower-bracket schools backing out of the Logan game. It’s that the tournament committee never found four teams willing to sign up for that arrangement.

They ended up having to invite North Texas and Nicholls State without requiring those schools to play two road games, apparently because because of a shortage of schools willing to take such an offer and an insufficient budget.

The Jamaica Classic then tried to find a low-major from outside the tournament bracket to make a road trip to Logan, and that failed.

I might have some of these details wrong, but this is what I have picked up from several conversations over the last two months.

It’s a problem for USU, and it’s a black eye for the Jamaica Classic, which is going to carry this failure into future seasons and will possibly have a harder time attracting good upper-bracket participants.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post (total 6):
ProvoAggiefrankiesaysrelaxoleblu111NVAggieChicAggieAggieFBObsession

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 5th, 2019, 10:38 pm

dogie wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 9:42 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Mysterion wrote:
Chatman wrote:
My understanding is that the Jamaica Classic promised the two home games to the four “marquee” teams (including USU) and then couldn’t deliver. It’s not a matter of one of the lower-bracket schools backing out of the Logan game. It’s that the tournament committee never found four teams willing to sign up for that arrangement.

They ended up having to invite North Texas and Nicholls State without requiring those schools to play two road games, apparently because because of a shortage of schools willing to take such an offer and an insufficient budget.

The Jamaica Classic then tried to find a low-major from outside the tournament bracket to make a road trip to Logan, and that failed.

I might have some of these details wrong, but this is what I have picked up from several conversations over the last two months.

It’s a problem for USU, and it’s a black eye for the Jamaica Classic, which is going to carry this failure into future seasons and will possibly have a harder time attracting good upper-bracket participants.
Now that’s the inside stuff!

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 7th, 2019, 1:10 pm

dogie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Mysterion wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Do you know if the Jamaica Classic had to pay any liquidated damages for failing to come through? That seems like something they should have to do to make USU whole again.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
ProvoAggie

ususports

Post by ususports » October 8th, 2019, 8:45 am

brownjeans wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 4:12 pm
You can go back and listen to Bean singing your least favorite song instead of not worrying about the schedule.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
brownjeansIdaAg93

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 8th, 2019, 12:29 pm

ususports wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 8:45 am
brownjeans wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 4:12 pm
You can go back and listen to Bean singing your least favorite song instead of not worrying about the schedule.
You're right! I am more bothered by that than our schedule situation.

Oh, and our basketball player's poor selfie skills. Coach them up Smith!

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 17th, 2019, 2:51 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 1:10 pm
dogie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Mysterion wrote:
Chatman wrote:

Do you know if the Jamaica Classic had to pay any liquidated damages for failing to come through? That seems like something they should have to do to make USU whole again.
Bump. Just seeing if anyone has any additional information about this. It seems that Jamaica dropped the ball and should be on the hook for it.

TrueAggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by TrueAggie » October 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm

A friend got his season tickets delivered today and they have two tickets that are home games TBA. So he got two home tickets for games with no known opponent. I have heard one of them is going to be an NAIA team like Montana Tech, Northern Colorado, or another such team. Don't know who the other "TBA" is.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 18th, 2019, 4:35 pm

TrueAggie wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 4:28 pm
A friend got his season tickets delivered today and they have two tickets that are home games TBA. So he got two home tickets for games with no known opponent. I have heard one of them is going to be an NAIA team like Montana Tech, Northern Colorado, or another such team. Don't know who the other "TBA" is.
Could TBA be twinight double header with "Tuscaloosa Bible Academy"?
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
BearLakeMonster

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » October 18th, 2019, 6:16 pm

TrueAggie wrote:A friend got his season tickets delivered today and they have two tickets that are home games TBA. So he got two home tickets for games with no known opponent. I have heard one of them is going to be an NAIA team like Montana Tech, Northern Colorado, or another such team. Don't know who the other "TBA" is.
The dates of the two TBA games are 12/10 and 12/28.

bpd

Post by bpd » October 18th, 2019, 6:20 pm

TrueAggie wrote:
Northern Colorado plays in the Big Sky and could make the NCAA tournament this year. They will be in the top 3. We play them in exhibition tomorrow, they won't be on the schedule.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 18th, 2019, 8:28 pm

bpd wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 6:20 pm
TrueAggie wrote:
Northern Colorado plays in the Big Sky and could make the NCAA tournament this year. They will be in the top 3. We play them in exhibition tomorrow, they won't be on the schedule.
Yeah, maybe the guys friend was thinking of Northern Montana or Northern New Mexico.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 18th, 2019, 9:30 pm

I heard the Braille School of Trucking could have an opening.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » October 20th, 2019, 2:19 am

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Boise is already in conference
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 2):
WAaggieFanNVAggie

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 20th, 2019, 12:15 pm

sam tingey wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Boise is already in conference
:golfclap:

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2019, 10:47 pm

Looks like two NAIA schools — St. Katherine and Northwest.

https://www.usufans.com/Schedule

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 22nd, 2019, 10:55 pm

I think we all saw it coming the last two would be sub-D1 schools, the reason most of us weren't worried about it.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 22nd, 2019, 10:59 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 10:55 pm
I think we all saw it coming the last two would be sub-D1 schools, the reason most of us weren't worried about it.
Do the NAIA teams impact NET rating at all?

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » October 22nd, 2019, 11:07 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

I don’t believe they do.

Bigd23
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bigd23 » October 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I noticed today that the 12/10 and 12/28 games aren't shown on the USU bball schedule page at this point (I had seen them there before as others had as well). I wonder whether those games are actually set at this point or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 24th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Bigd23 wrote:
October 24th, 2019, 3:32 pm
I noticed today that the 12/10 and 12/28 games aren't shown on the USU bball schedule page at this point (I had seen them there before as others had as well). I wonder whether those games are actually set at this point or not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
St Katherine's has the game on their schedule page. Northwest doesn't. Who knows what's going on.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 24th, 2019, 9:38 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 11:07 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

I don’t believe they do.

Duryea told us at a road trip event that non-D1 teams are actually preferable to schedule instead of teams rated at the bottom cause teams below 300 hurt our RPI while teams that aren't D1 don't affect it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic