J Love next Mahomes?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggieforlife

J Love next Mahomes?

Post by Aggieforlife » October 2nd, 2019, 8:25 pm

Today on Cowherds show, SI writer and former NFL cornerback Bucky Brooks, compared J Love to Mahomes. Starts at about 1:21:00

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0452070381

Blitz79

Re: J Love next Mahomes?

Post by Blitz79 » October 2nd, 2019, 8:39 pm

Nope but thanks for playing.

Jjoey53

J Love next Mahomes?

Post by Jjoey53 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:55 pm

Let’s get through this year first. Totally unreasonable expectations. Let’s not put ridiculous pressure on kid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » October 2nd, 2019, 10:01 pm

He hasn’t even done that great this year... kinda surprised people are still thinking SO highly of him.

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 2nd, 2019, 10:16 pm

He’s struggled this year, at this point I would argue it would be best for him to stay his Senior year.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 10:46 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 10:16 pm
He’s struggled this year, at this point I would argue it would be best for him to stay his Senior year.
If he is projected anywhere in the first two or three rounds he should run, not walk, to the NFL Draft.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 4):
TrueBlueaggies22oleblu111BLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 10:57 pm

He is doing fine considering all the changes that surround him. He still has all the measurable. He also has a cannon.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 3rd, 2019, 8:15 am

But his performance this year has been underwhelming.

ususports

Post by ususports » October 3rd, 2019, 8:32 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 10:46 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
If he is projected anywhere in the first two or three rounds he should run, not walk, to the NFL Draft.
Everything worked out perfectly for Dax Raymond with his projections compared to where he got drafted.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 3rd, 2019, 9:43 am

I don't think they necessarily care about his numbers this year. I think the NFL scouts look more at fundamentals, arm strength, and potential. Great numbers help, but don't always translate into NFL success. Look at all the star NCAA QBs who put up amazing numbers but were flops in the NFL. In fact when you look at many of the good NFL QBs just of today, not many of them were big stars in college.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 3rd, 2019, 9:45 am

ususports wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 8:32 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Everything worked out perfectly for Dax Raymond with his projections compared to where he got drafted.
Name one reputable site that had Dax Raymond getting drafted anywhere near the 1st or 2nd rounds. When you are projected into the 4th-7th rounds, you can pretty well expect that there is some volatility. It also doesn't help your case when you get invited to the combine and then have a bad performance.

Besides, Dax openly admitted that his decision to leave was more based on his age than his projected draft spot.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 3rd, 2019, 9:50 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:45 am
ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:
Name one reputable site that had Dax Raymond getting drafted anywhere near the 1st or 2nd rounds. When you are projected into the 4th-7th rounds, you can pretty well expect that there is some volatility. It also doesn't help your case when you get invited to the combine and then have a bad performance.

Besides, Dax openly admitted that his decision to leave was more based on his age than his projected draft spot.
Yeah I don't think Dax would have really moved up in the draft by waiting around a year. His age was his biggest issue.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 3rd, 2019, 10:58 am

I have friends that are NFL scouts who put JL as a 5th or 6th rounder. Opinions are mixed. If you look at some of the NFL scouting reports who breakdown Jordan's film...they are most impressed by his physical size and the way he reads defenses and makes the throw...they think he has exceptional ability in that area and what impresses them most is he can in a split second do a touch pass or strong arm it. If any of you get a chance look at scout analysis of his film and you will see a superior football IQ. They love his arm strength and ability to throw the deep ball. Of course everyone raves about his smooth effortless delivery. The down side despite a quick release thanks to working with Yost is that he loses just enough accuracy when pressured. Not grossly so just a tiny a bit off the mark. They have just enough questions to put him as mid a round sleeper pick. The other negative I am told is he has to prove he can excel in bad weather. He is also packaged as a dual threat which scouts say he is really not. He is slow but has just enough mobility to get needed yards. I am inclined to agree with that after watching the CSU game. He made a couple of modest gains and extended the play with his legs but on at least one of those if not two Chuckie would have taken it to the house. His lack of speed is not a major concern to those I have talked to.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 3rd, 2019, 11:10 am

Well now I've got to decide who to trust, Mediocre at Best and his pals OR every single major sporting news outlet.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » October 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am

I'm just happy for the fact that one of our players keeps getting talked about in national media.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ususports

Post by ususports » October 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:50 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Yeah I don't think Dax would have really moved up in the draft by waiting around a year. His age was his biggest issue.
Ok, let's use a different example. Darwin Thompson didn't get drafted even close to where he was projected. My point isn't so much about the specific player. I was simply pointing out that just because someone is projected to go in "X" round, doesn't mean they will. I won't fault anyone for taking their chances, as that is life changing money involved, but it isn't this automatic thing like your original post suggests (especially with the less than stellar start he has had so far). I want it clear, I think he is a fantastic player, and I am not complaining about his performance so far, but if he continues to under perform in games for the rest of the season, I would be hesitant to completely trust any high projections if I were him.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 3rd, 2019, 11:17 am

ususports wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

Ok, let's use a different example. Darwin Thompson didn't get drafted even close to where he was projected. My point isn't so much about the specific player. I was simply pointing out that just because someone is projected to go in "X" round, doesn't mean they will. I won't fault anyone for taking their chances, as that is life changing money involved, but it isn't this automatic thing like your original post suggests (especially with the less than stellar start he has had so far). I want it clear, I think he is a fantastic player, and I am not complaining about his performance so far, but if he continues to under perform in games for the rest of the season, I would be hesitant to completely trust any high projections if I were him.
This is a completely moot point. Jordan Love is 100% gone after this season. It'll be Henry Colombi time.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 3rd, 2019, 11:19 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:17 am
ususports wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

This is a completely moot point. Jordan Love is 100% gone after this season. It'll be Henry Colombi time.
1. Hell yeah, I am definitely excited for Colombi Time.

2. I believe that Darwin left for reasons other than just his projected draft spot as well, although they were personal and I am not familiar with what happened.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 3rd, 2019, 11:31 am

Youngblood - That is a dilemma. I trust my sources as they called it 100% for Dax despite media hype and the love he got on this board. Darwin was equally interesting because they thought he should have been drafted higher than he was. The one variable that these scouts have not spoken about is Jordan having to adjust to a new OC and some of the pass blocking issues of our offensive line. I am not critical of the offensive line as I believe they have done a pretty good job overall but Jordan is certainly experiencing more pressure than last year enough to disrupt his timing and footwork.

ususports

Post by ususports » October 3rd, 2019, 11:33 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
ususports wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

I agree, he will be gone after this season (never said otherwise).

ususports

Post by ususports » October 3rd, 2019, 11:42 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:19 am
2. I believe that Darwin left for reasons other than just his projected draft spot as well, although they were personal and I am not familiar with what happened.
There may have been other factors, but his high projections for sure was the most important one to give him the confidence to leave for those (publicly) unknown additional reasons. I don't know his circumstances, but I have a hard time believing he would have left early if being drafted was in question.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 3rd, 2019, 11:45 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:19 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
ususports wrote:
thegreendalegelf wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ususports wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

1. Hell yeah, I am definitely excited for Colombi Time.

It is a moot point. The reality is that if Love simply does what he is doing (and preferably doesn't have more than 3-4 picks) more this year it will all come down to his arm strength and physical skills show in his workouts like Josh Allen. Josh Allen had a relatively terrible junior year but once he confirmed his arm strength he was a top 10 guy.

Love doesn't have the raw arm strength of Allen nor his mobility but he has a quicker higher release, high end arm strength reads the field better than Allen did coming out, and is far more accurate. Both are similar size. A guy like Love isn't going to stay on the board through the first round absent an injury or a complete breakdown just based on potential alone.

Whether he is top 10 I think depends on what he shows this week and against Boise.

I for one think that he is going to show well. That may not mean he puts up big numbers but that's not what Scouts are looking at.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 3rd, 2019, 11:45 am

J Love was brought up twice on the show. Bucky Brooks and Joel Klatt both talked him up.

I don’t think he makes it out of the 2nd round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 3rd, 2019, 11:47 am

HE MIGHT JUST STAY FOR HIS SENIOR YEAR

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:47 am
You messing with all of us?

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 3rd, 2019, 11:49 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:48 am
taniataylor wrote:
:nono:
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 3rd, 2019, 11:53 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:49 am
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
It's not nice to mess with Mother Tania. :notworthy:

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 3rd, 2019, 11:54 am

USU78 wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:53 am
taniataylor wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 11:49 am
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
It's not nice to mess with Mother Tania. :notworthy:
Can you give a percentage of confidence in him staying for his senior year? Let's hear the inside stuff. You are the only one on this board with this type of insight.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 3rd, 2019, 12:04 pm

It also depends on how many teams need a quarterback and how many good prospects will be in the draft. I don't follow that stuff, but if there is more supply than demand this year he could stay.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm

Saying he hasn't had a good year or that he's going 5-7 round is ignorant, not trying to be rude but just being honest. NFL front offices already know his abilities to win games over the past two years. They're now scouting specifically for the intricate pieces to his game (like how he can fling the ball in a perfect spiral 45 yards downfield out of stance and being pressured). He may be telling people that there is a possibility that he's coming back next year, which he should be saying that, but barring injury I'd be surprised if he came back another year. All things equal, and against the rest of the conference, He's a top 3 rounder.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyflying_scotsman2.0

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 3rd, 2019, 12:54 pm

Rato - Lets mark this conversation - as things currently stand its 5th round. You refer to two years when in actuality Jordan did not get the attention of scouts until last year. To say that they already know what they have and are looking at "spiral's" is foolish and far more ignorant than anything that has been posted in this thread. This is a critical year for him with respect to draft positioning. My hope is that in the coming games he can improve his stock and move to the 3rd round which you have already have him at. my sources indicate that even with a lesser year than last he is going mid round. You may seem to have good and reliable knowledge about the workings of USU's football program as well as ISU's football history but I seriously doubt your knowledge when it comes to the next level. If you recall I was not a big on Jim and Dirk K. whom you seem to fawn over...remind me again who is Tampa Bay's coach?

ususports

Post by ususports » October 3rd, 2019, 1:06 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm
Saying he hasn't had a good year or that he's going 5-7 round is ignorant, not trying to be rude but just being honest. NFL front offices already know his abilities to win games over the past two years. They're now scouting specifically for the intricate pieces to his game (like how he can fling the ball in a perfect spiral 45 yards downfield out of stance and being pressured). He may be telling people that there is a possibility that he's coming back next year, which he should be saying that, but barring injury I'd be surprised if he came back another year. All things equal, and against the rest of the conference, He's a top 3 rounder.
It is fair to say almost no one thought DT would fall to the 6th round and that Raymond wouldn't get drafted at all, so it would be ignorant to not acknowledge that sometimes what actually happens in the draft is different than projections and expectations. I will repeat what I said in a previous post, "I think Love is a fantastic player, and I am not complaining about his performance so far." That being said, if throwing 6 TD passes along with 5 interceptions is a good start to the year, my apologies for having a slightly different opinion. I must be ignorant.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 3rd, 2019, 1:17 pm

As the season wears on and our "O" line gets better then Jordan may well elevate his NFL potential. We also don't know what needs will exist in the NFL toward the end of the season. J L has some physical intangibles, i e, assets, that are very attractive to the NFL.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

ususports wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:06 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 12:06 pm
It is fair to say almost no one thought DT would fall to the 6th round and that Raymond wouldn't get drafted at all, so it would be ignorant to not acknowledge that sometimes what actually happens in the draft is different than projections and expectations. I will repeat what I said in a previous post, "I think Love is a fantastic player, and I am not complaining about his performance so far." That being said, if throwing 6 TD passes along with 5 interceptions is a good start to the year, my apologies for having a slightly different opinion. I must be ignorant.
I'm speaking from my experience and insight in the industry, not media hype or mock drafts. Just speaking my mind and didn't mean to offend in anyway -- We'll find out eventually

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 3rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

He’s the 3rd best qb in this years draft at worst. Tuna and Herbert then Jordan. He has the potential to be better than both those guys. He has more skills than a guy like Andy Dalton had. I think he is better than what Mark Sanchez was at USC. He’s better than Ryan Finley who just went in the 4th round.

He does need to cleanup his footwork and react to pressure a little better but he won’t make it out of the 2nd round.
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post:
ThunderAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic