Rollie Worster

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Rollie Worster

Post by brownjeans » September 26th, 2019, 10:32 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 11:23 pm
No hate meant at all. I hope I am wrong and he turns out great. I just personally felt as I watched the highlights of his play that he was a bit slow for the college game....especially if he is played at the point. If he were more athletic looking I would feel better about him as a two guard. Just my opinion. Even an athletic kid may have some struggles as a 6-2 SG.
Newhouse is right. Jaycee was 6'2", not very athletic. Sam Merrill is not very athletic. We are seeing how well Merrill plays right now. Do you think Jaycee would succeed with the Aggies in the MWC?

The way we dismiss players because of a model we have in our head. I wish we would have had some video of Jaycee when he was signed. I bet we would have blasted that signing too. Merrill didn't have much video either. Only a couple of people on the board had confidence that he'd work out. Most thought he wouldn't because he wasn't athletic enough.

Sometimes we evaluate basketball players as though it's a 1-on-1 game and not a team game. Because it's a team game, a player with one exceptional skill can be useful provided his teammates can help him mask his weaknesses. If this kid has one skill he does really well (e.g. Brian Green - shooting), or if he has a number of things he does reasonably well (Able Porter), he can be a solid player for us.

Not every player we recruit needs to be all conference.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 26th, 2019, 10:36 am

brownjeans wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 10:32 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 11:23 pm
No hate meant at all. I hope I am wrong and he turns out great. I just personally felt as I watched the highlights of his play that he was a bit slow for the college game....especially if he is played at the point. If he were more athletic looking I would feel better about him as a two guard. Just my opinion. Even an athletic kid may have some struggles as a 6-2 SG.
Newhouse is right. Jaycee was 6'2", not very athletic. Sam Merrill is not very athletic. We are seeing how well Merrill plays right now. Do you think Jaycee would succeed with the Aggies in the MWC?

The way we dismiss players because of a model we have in our head. I wish we would have had some video of Jaycee when he was signed. I bet we would have blasted that signing too. Merrill didn't have much video either. Only a couple of people on the board had confidence that he'd work out. Most thought he wouldn't because he wasn't athletic enough.

Sometimes we evaluate basketball players as though it's a 1-on-1 game and not a team game. Because it's a team game, a player with one exceptional skill can be useful provided his teammates can help him mask his weaknesses. If this kid has one skill he does really well (e.g. Brian Green - shooting), or if he has a number of things he does reasonably well (Able Porter), he can be a solid player for us.

Not every player we recruit needs to be all conference.
Have to disagree. Jaycee is pretty athletic. He's fast and can run forever and not get tired. He runs like a deer. He can also elevate incredibly well on his 3 point shots.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 26th, 2019, 10:39 am

nvspuds wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 10:37 pm
The spotlight doesn't really even shine on the big cities of the MW..We have nice lower mid major conference but it is not on the national radar at all these days..
So because our spotlight isn't as bright as the spotlight on Duke, nothing matters? I'm not following the point you're trying to make.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 26th, 2019, 10:47 am

Just struck me odd that the poster not only threw shade at the player he also intimated that Montana and the Big Sky are way beneath USU in the national spotlight. That sounded needlessly arrogant to me.

I like the MW and it is likely the highest Nevada will ever make it up the food chain. I am proud to be a member..But the MW isn't in the spotlight much at all..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
brownjeans

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 26th, 2019, 11:20 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 10:05 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 8:40 am
Let's give the kid a chance before we start downgrading his abilities. Just like any recruit you never know until the kid get's here and starts performing. Look at Brito who under Duryea's watch was not very good at all and pretty much all of us had given up on him being able to be a solid contributor. Coach Smith comes in and Brito progressed to the point where he is one of our glue guys. Same could be said for Bean and Porter as well.
So I am the bad guy because I expressed an honest opinion that he looked a little slow? I also said I hope he turns out great. And by the way....I never thought that about Bean or Porter.....especially Bean. I liked him from the get go.
How can you tell he is slow from that video? He looks fine to me in the clips I saw. I was just reading some post on the LSU board talking about how slow our football team is from watching highlights but our team is actually pretty fast and he has no idea from just watching a clip online. If he was watching the SDSU game then how can he tell? SDSU has a fast team too, so how would he know their relative speed. Unless people are racing against each other or a clock there isn't really anything to judge someone's speed. The kid looks like a baller to me and he is Montana's player of the year. Any kid who is the best player in their state is probably pretty good.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 26th, 2019, 11:30 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 10:36 am
Have to disagree. Jaycee is pretty athletic. He's fast and can run forever and not get tired. He runs like a deer. He can also elevate incredibly well on his 3 point shots.
That's fair, but if you can't stay in front of someone who is athletic, or get past someone who is athletic without the help of a screen, are you athletic?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 26th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Jaycee Carroll is very athletic. Surprised to hear people say he is slow and unathletic. Dude is fast, quick, has a huge motor, and actually has some serious hops.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Roy McAvoy

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 26th, 2019, 2:11 pm

brownjeans wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:30 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
That's fair, but if you can't stay in front of someone who is athletic, or get past someone who is athletic without the help of a screen, are you athletic?
Defense was never Jaycee's focus. I think he was quick enough to stay in front of his man if he spent 1000 hours every summer working on it. Instead he spent thousands of hours working on his offensive game, became our all-time leading scorer, one of the best shooters in the nation, or arguably the history of the NCAA, won several different MVP awards, All-American, etc, etc.

I don't think he was too unathletic to be a good defender. I just don't think he cared that much about it. See: James Harden in the NBA.

If Jaycee would've worked on his defense and ball-handling he probably would've made it in the NBA. But where he ended up and all the success he had in Europe is probably a better ending for him anyway.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 26th, 2019, 2:25 pm

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 26th, 2019, 7:16 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 11:20 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Let's give the kid a chance before we start downgrading his abilities. Just like any recruit you never know until the kid get's here and starts performing. Look at Brito who under Duryea's watch was not very good at all and pretty much all of us had given up on him being able to be a solid contributor. Coach Smith comes in and Brito progressed to the point where he is one of our glue guys. Same could be said for Bean and Porter as well.
So I am the bad guy because I expressed an honest opinion that he looked a little slow? I also said I hope he turns out great. And by the way....I never thought that about Bean or Porter.....especially Bean. I liked him from the get go.
How can you tell he is slow from that video? He looks fine to me in the clips I saw. I was just reading some post on the LSU board talking about how slow our football team is from watching highlights but our team is actually pretty fast and he has no idea from just watching a clip online. If he was watching the SDSU game then how can he tell? SDSU has a fast team too, so how would he know their relative speed. Unless people are racing against each other or a clock there isn't really anything to judge someone's speed. The kid looks like a baller to me and he is Montana's player of the year. Any kid who is the best player in their state is probably pretty good.
I hope he turns out great. I also said it is my OPINION. Your opinion is that he is not a little slow. So what's the big deal? We disagree. But I honor your opinion.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » September 26th, 2019, 7:42 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Your "honest opinion" is made, I presume, from watching a couple of minutes of video? Why not wait until he has a chance to actually perform as an Aggie, and then come up with a valid "honest opinion" rather than criticizing a high school player you have never seen play? I personally pleased that the Montana player of the year is going to be an Aggie.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
frankiesaysrelax

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 26th, 2019, 8:01 pm

This thread is Rollie quickly becoming one of the Worster threads on this board.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 7):
brownjeansAggieFBObsessionflying_scotsman2.0NVAggieBLUERUFiOChicAggiesneed

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » September 27th, 2019, 10:58 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 26th, 2019, 8:01 pm
This thread is Rollie quickly becoming one of the Worster threads on this board.
Agreed

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 1st, 2019, 9:52 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Indeed. Jaycee was a crazy good athlete. There is a reason he finished top 10 in rebounding in the WAC in two separate seasons, and it wasn't because he was flat-footed and slow.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 1st, 2019, 11:46 am

ChicAggie wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 9:52 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Indeed. Jaycee was a crazy good athlete. There is a reason he finished top 10 in rebounding in the WAC in two separate seasons, and it wasn't because he was flat-footed and slow.
I bet he was faster than Kerwynn. But that's not saying much...

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
What's the reason? :)

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 1st, 2019, 9:44 pm

Smith has done a great job. If he can see the potential in Rollie then I have no reason to doubt him. Smith is big on team chemistry and making sure that players are a good fit for our program. Rollie will develop just fine under Smith. Let's just hope that Smith is here when Rollie gets here.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 8:41 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Duh. It's because he has a knack for rebounding. That's the point of the entire thread. Right?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 2nd, 2019, 8:54 am

ChicAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:41 am
aggies22 wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Duh. It's because he has a knack for rebounding. That's the point of the entire thread. Right?
I'm just giving you a little $hit my Aggie brother! Haha!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:54 am
ChicAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:41 am
aggies22 wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I'm just giving you a little $hit my Aggie brother! Haha!
I guess I should have used a "winky" emoji. I thought my tongue-in-cheek point would be more obvious than that: my initial post attempted to suggest his rebounding prowess was all about athleticism, but even a troglodyte like me understands that rebounding is about more than just athleticism.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 2nd, 2019, 7:29 pm

McAggie has been watching Utah State basketball for decades and I wouldn't just blow his opinion off. Certainly we would love Worster to stay with us through a successful career and graduate an AGGIE. Perhaps, even with a lot of bench time his first year he could figure out why he wasn't playing serious minutes as a Freshman, let alone a red shirt Freshman.

Locked Previous topicNext topic