TT fans in meltdown mode over Wells starting the wrong QB

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 28th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Sound familiar?

Also, a large number of them already want to fire Yost and think it’s the worst offense they’ve ever seen. I watched them play and to me it looks like an offense Wells has his hands in.

This coming after a 41 point driving by Oklahoma.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: TT fans in meltdown mode over Wells starting the wrong QB

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 28th, 2019, 2:31 pm

If I'm MW, I don't even care. I drive my Porsche back to my mansion each night and check how my investments are doing, wondering how long I have to wait before I get fired and can stop pretending to care about my job.

P5's have their own set of problems. At some point coaches have enough money that they don't really need to work if they don't want to. If MW has an abysmal attempt at TTU, he just retires and focuses on his golf game.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » September 28th, 2019, 2:34 pm

He was most successful when he finally turned the offense over to his coordinator, and it really helped last year that it was Yost.

I feel like he learned and grew as a coach here, but the one thing he could never figure out was that his offensive schemes are garbage.

I really want him to do well at TTU, and I still think there’s a chance they can get it together, but if he goes back to micromanaging the offense he’s toast

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 28th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Maybe his hands off and the offense is a reflection of the talent on the field. I’ve mentioned Yost’s first year was awful. According to urban legend, Wells had already been given the ultimatum at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on September 28th, 2019, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 29th, 2019, 10:44 am

Oklahoma is going to make a lot of teams look bad this year
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
IdaAg93

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 29th, 2019, 11:49 am

Link to Texas tech forums? I haven’t been able to actually find where their fans post?!?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 30th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Here's some of the stuff coming out of Texas Tech Fans. This is just a sampling honestly as I hurried through and copied stuff. There is hundreds and hundreds more of comments like these. Wells' offense (all up until last season) regardless of who the OC was just drove me insane. It's catching up to him now. Also, when people talk about it being "slow" their not talking about snapping the ball, their talking about the development of plays that are being run.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Board/
"Just got done watching that presser. Meh. I though kk pressers were bad . What stood out to me

1. The look in the qb eyes tell you what?? Wth

2. Gum chomping and a bunch of coach speak (upside shoulder, etc) I could do without.

3. Tyner throws a better downfield ball than Jett. Now that’s simply bs

Going to be a long season."
"Fire Yost. There is absolutely no excuse for this offense being as inept as it is."
"Staff ITRR needs you to ask hard questions to Wells. I want to support that guy but why the F they started Tyner over Jett is UNACCEPTABLE. I’m so sick of insanity from our coaching and you’ve about lost me as a new fan. So staff, go for that coaches throat on this... I want a no ***** apology or explanation"
I’ll try to answer. “Well we wanted to give both a shot and go with the hot hand”. Coach it’s tough to come back against Oklahoma when you’re down 14-0. Everyone, but you knew Duffy should be starting. Also Coach could you elaborate on your stupidity."
"Starting Tyner was a decision he and coach Yost made during the week”. Tell is why? This guy is no fireball. Process driven, look internally, blah, blah, blah. Hey coach, how about one or two less sticks of gum when on the microphone?"
"If they split reps again, Wells needs to be run out of town on a rail. Give Duffy every damn practice snap and rep sole plays that take advantage of his legs/play making to open up the pass. Duffy has a cannon, he just needs to be out in a position to use it."
"Yost has ******** destroyed this offense. ***** that POS. No excuse for this."
"Meh....I'd rather lose by 70 than run-run-run-punt. At least show you're trying. I'm not ready to give up on Wells, but I was deeply disappointed Saturday....first when Tyner started...and second when they kept trying to play it safe with Jett. When you're down 4 TDs, what difference does it make? Go big or go home. Let Jett get some experience bc you're going to need him over the next month. What the coaches did by handcuffing him was a disservice to the entire program."
"I’m not buying it. Wells is character / attitude guy. Duffy is a little bit of knucklehead. Tyner is probably a ‘doing it the right way’ guy. I think Wells wants to reward the guy with the right attitude - but he can’t throw."
"We have one positive thing in the last 15 years. A string of good to great QBs. Wells needs to not mess that up."
"I’m all on board with doing it the right way and not rewarwding knuckleheads. But when you jeopardize the success of the team with such a non-D1 QB getting an opportunity over a guy that has a physical arm right up there with the best I’ll call BS on the little teaching game every time. I’m all for wells and discipline and yesterday doesn’t change that...but until I see discipline on the field ,mind games to prove points don’t mean squat"
"What worries me about Wells & Yost is that they DID NOT recognize the lack of skills by the Rice transfer. I do not care if he can walk on water, if he is not capable of playing winning football in the Big12 then he needs to be limited to practice squad work and the QB from Schertz should be second team."
Does Wells turn this program around Yes or No?
No
Just your gut early feeling and the question is over the course of years not this year.
Fire away.
Like I said the money offer in 2017 is looking really good right now. You win whether you win or lose on the field.
He may turn it around, but in order to do so it will be with a different offensive coordinator.
Funny how wide open offense is the name of the game in the Big 12 and it became so because of what Mike Leach brought to Texas Tech. Now Texas Tech is the one trying to slow down their offense while the others are becoming more wide open
"Just full of excuses and no accountability.

- I can’t build this in a day

- he is a heisman

- they are elite team

Man, we know all of the stuff but expect you to be logical and not kick field goals and punt down 31. Showed everyone you are laying down. The team has that same mentality. There is nothing to be said about starting Tyner... just a full lack of football common sense. Several sources say Jett always outplayed him at practice.
Media people - ask better question and dig in. He needs to be checked on that stuff to understand the community will not take idiot decision and lack of competitiveness. Call him out on that shi*. He can take it.. he’s getting millions for it
"Damn -just saw it on YouTube. I’m losing faith in him by the day. It’s like listening to a politician. He’s a character of himself. It’s like he’s trying to act like some of the questions are silly. Some are. But what’s more concerning is that no one is following up on Tyner starting."
"Also he said he knows he is getting paid for results but this is not a quick fix...that was Well’s comment. Uhhhhhh...I thought this was a RELOAD not REBUILD. It’s obvious Wells is in waaaaay over his head and now he even knows it. This hire has disaster written all over it...
Wells, could you have at least had the team prepared to compete as in basic tackling, hustle? How about at least looking like you are trying to win and not kick a f#@king field goal 31 pts down?"

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » September 30th, 2019, 2:02 pm

What a bunch of deebs... as if they have a snowball's chance against J. Hurts and #6 OU in Norman.

OU is a very juicy bet to win the national championship at 10/1 odds.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 30th, 2019, 2:05 pm

918AGG wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:02 pm
What a bunch of deebs... as if they have a snowball's chance against J. Hurts and #6 OU in Norman.

What about an Arizona team that lost to Hawaii that they looked horrible against too? Did they have a snowball’s chance against them?

Mogy21

Post by Mogy21 » September 30th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Tbh I’d take Yost back. I liked what he did here.
These users thanked the author Mogy21 for the post:
BLUERUFiO

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Mogy21 wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Tbh I’d take Yost back. I liked what he did here.
There may not be a better scenario out there than our offense having so much success that Sanford leaves for a new gig and Yost coming back. 10/10 would recommend.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 30th, 2019, 2:20 pm

I'd take Yost in a heartbeat.

I'm rooting for MW to do good there but I don't think they'll give him a long enough leash. He needs at least three years to recruit his type of players but he's not TT "family" so he has no room for error. Secret Service = consequences. Wait, my bad, that's from Wedding Crashers.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » September 30th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:05 pm
918AGG wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 2:02 pm

What about an Arizona team that lost to Hawaii that they looked horrible against too? Did they have a snowball’s chance against them?
Sure, but these are all 9/28 reactions. It's fair to assume that a 9/28 reaction is to a 9/28 occurrence.

Also: A > B, B > C; therefore A > C doesn't hold in college football.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 30th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Yost’s offense is a Lamborghini. If it has the right fuel and is working (ie players) it’s a thing of beauty.

But if doesn’t have the right inputs it’s a massively expensive paper weight.

You cannot blame Yost on the players he inherited. That TT QB with the dreads is Myers 2.0. Kingsbury put that guy into the offense. He was their leading rusher last year. That’s bad.

Texas Tech wasn’t good last year. There is nothing for Yost to have ruined.

Also screw Wells.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Wells is the problem here. I just about fell off my chair when they compared Wells to Leach and labeled Wells offense to "Air-Biscuit".
These users thanked the author RigAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:37 pm

What were they expecting? A miracle worker? :headscratch:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
918AGG

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 30th, 2019, 2:55 pm

I definitely don't miss listening to Wells drone on about this and that. He pokes fun when he doesn't like a question and never really owns up to anything. I know that is typical of most coaches, but I never did like his special sauce of coach speak.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 30th, 2019, 6:38 pm

It sounds like Wells is pissing in his own pool again without an AD forcing him to leave the OC alone.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm

brownjeans wrote:It sounds like Wells is pissing in his own pool again without an AD forcing him to leave the OC alone.
This narrative makes no sense. If Wells was forced to hire Yost, and given the mandate to leave the offense alone, why did the offense struggle his first year. If Wells is a meddling control freak then why would someone as experienced at Yost follow Wells to Texas Tech?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 30th, 2019, 6:47 pm

dyedblue wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm
brownjeans wrote:It sounds like Wells is pissing in his own pool again without an AD forcing him to leave the OC alone.
This narrative makes no sense. If Wells was forced to hire Yost, and given the mandate to leave the offense alone, why did the offense struggle his first year. If Wells is a meddling control freak then why would someone as experienced at Yost follow Wells to Texas Tech?
Suit yourself.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 30th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Explain how it makes sense. It might be true, it just isn’t logical to me.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 30th, 2019, 7:31 pm

It makes sense because it's not a narrative (story), it's what happened.
Yost's offense not taking off the first season didnt make it not happen that way.
I don't know why Yost went to TT. But he didn't experience Wells pre-mandate.
I'd be surprised if Wells is interfering with the offense. You'd think he'd have seen the benefits of focusing on HC duties after the past two seasons. But from the TT fan posts, it sounds like old times.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » September 30th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Matt is an Aggie. I want nothing but success for him.
These users thanked the author Smokin Joe for the post:
GreenAg

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Matt tried to take everything that wasn’t bolted down when he left. He can go to hell.
If they give him 3 years that program will be in an unrepairable state.
Last year was not who Matt Wells is. Look at all his other years for insight on that.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 30th, 2019, 8:34 pm

dyedblue wrote:
September 30th, 2019, 6:41 pm

I tend to agree with you. The AD mandate has become forum gospel truth, largely because it has been repeated on here so much. I have my doubts that's what actually went down. And I don't think anyone knows for sure.

coolag

Post by coolag » September 30th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Air biscuit lol!!!!

Regulator of Class

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » October 1st, 2019, 5:02 am

So 20 minutes after accepting the job at Utah State Wells said he would always keep his options open and listen to any offers.

Never actually committed to being our coach but still had one good year that he was responsible for. Don’t talk to me about his first couple of years with Anderson’s players. Anybody could have done just as well. I only judge a coach on his own skills and abilities.Wells was finally showing he was a decent coach if he played the week side of the MW.

Our players played hard even if wells always felt like he should be considered the next Urban Meyer and be at a bigger program. Players love Logan and many have made the NFL from here.

Yost went for the money. If he went because of Wells he needs a brain scan. Think $$$$$.

Its all Anderson now, fun to listen to and he has committed to us. Players will run through a brick wall for him. Fans are showing up at the games Rain or shine.

We will be good for awhile as long as we beat teams like San Diego State and most others in the Mountain West. BYU is not really a game I’m so focused on anymore. Beating a little known independent who is 500 just doesn’t seem to be as good as beating every team in the Mountain West playing on our home field for championship sounds like a really awesome thing.

Every once In awhile we could be world beaters, NY6 contenders.

I think next year we could be undefeated. Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 1st, 2019, 7:43 am

Speaking of 20 mintues……

20 minutes after taking the TT job all the Aggie stuff was removed and covered by TT gear.

I don't necessarily wish him failure, but I don't necessarily wish him success either.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » October 1st, 2019, 7:55 am

2004AG wrote:Speaking of 20 mintues……

20 minutes after taking the TT job all the Aggie stuff was removed and covered by TT gear.

I don't necessarily wish him failure, but I don't necessarily wish him success either.
If I’m remembering right didn’t the black come out before he was even announced their coach?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 1st, 2019, 8:05 am

Usu0505 wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 7:55 am
2004AG wrote:Speaking of 20 mintues……

If I’m remembering right didn’t the black come out before he was even announced their coach?

There was a picture of him at Josh Calvin's house wearing all black....before he had been announced at the TT coach.

Usurossco
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Usurossco » October 1st, 2019, 8:31 am

Yes I am sending money and thank you cards to TT for taking Wells. Anderson built it and will continue to do so. Wells broke it and got lucky trying to fix it in his last year.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 1st, 2019, 10:59 am

Usurossco wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 8:31 am
Yes I am sending money and thank you cards to TT for taking Wells. Anderson built it and will continue to do so. Wells broke it and got lucky trying to fix it in his last year.

I'm still not really sure why Coach Andersen gets so much heavy praise, he had one good year and one elite year here. Sure that one good year got the ball rolling and we became regular post-season participants but still it was one good year and one elite year.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » October 1st, 2019, 11:17 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 1st, 2019, 10:59 am
Usurossco wrote:

I'm still not really sure why Coach Andersen gets so much heavy praise, he had one good year and one elite year here. Sure that one good year got the ball rolling and we became regular post-season participants but still it was one good year and one elite year.
I get that a lot of people will question his success, and rightfully so considering his mixed past. I think the biggest reason most people love Gary is his enthusiasm for the game, the kids and for the university/city. That comes through in everything he does, and the kids know it. Where this becomes critical, is in recruiting. I love the players he brought in from the transfer portal, especially the ones from Utah. This will bring big benefits in the future.

Also, I get the feeling he is not seeking greener pastures. He is here until he retires, or get's fired.
These users thanked the author RigAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyAggie_in_Idaho

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » October 1st, 2019, 11:24 am

Saying Anderson had one good year grossly diminishes how bad our program was when he was hired and the incredible job he did in changing the culture. Something many thought could never happen in Logan.
These users thanked the author BigBlueAggie for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyAggie_in_Idahoaggiesdotcom

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 1st, 2019, 11:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
Usurossco wrote:

He gets so much heavy praise because of where we were when he took over. I have no idea how he will do this time around but to take over a team that didn’t score an offensive touchdown in like 5 straight games in (2006?)to top 25 is crazy. We were an offensive PI call and a missed field goal from beating Wisconsin and an onside kick away from beating Auburn. Who would have even dreamed of that when BG was winning one game a year?

Gary will get the benefit of the doubt from Aggie fans after that.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyaggiesdotcom

Locked Previous topicNext topic