Anyone else hate the timing of our two byes this year?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Anyone else hate the timing of our two byes this year?

Post by ineptimusprime » September 14th, 2019, 9:21 pm

Maybe not terrible for the team, but terrible for fans.

-early season after a meaningless FCS game (so basically three solid weeks without a real opponent between Wake and SDSU)
-after what is sure to be an @sswhopping at LSU (when it’d be nice to get on the field soon and flush that game)

I dunno, not ideal to me.

Roy McAvoy

Re: Anyone else hate the timing of our two byes this year?

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 14th, 2019, 9:23 pm

I’m exactly the opposite. I love the timing.

We got pretty banged up at Wake Forest. A bye week to get healthy and prepare before we start conference play is awesome.

We’re also likely to get banged up at LSU and it’ll be really nice to have a bye week after that game to recover.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyoleblu111

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 14th, 2019, 9:24 pm

I agree although it is nice to have 2 weeks to prepare to what is one of our most important games of the season. After LSU it would be nice to get on the field and then have 2 weeks to prepare for AF, but maybe it will be nice to heal after that game.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 14th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 9:23 pm

We got pretty banged up at Wake Forest. A bye week to get healthy and prepare before we start conference play is awesome.

We’re also likely to get banged up at LSU and it’ll be really nice to have a bye week after that game to recover.
I agree with you — I’m just talking fan perspective. To start the season off with basically a three week break without a real game kinda sucks for us.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » September 14th, 2019, 9:52 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 9:25 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 9:23 pm

I agree with you — I’m just talking fan perspective. To start the season off with basically a three week break without a real game kinda sucks for us.
I agree with you, it is really tough to be watching all these teams play and trying to see where USU is going to line up without having much to go on yet.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 15th, 2019, 8:05 am

As a fan I hate it but I can't control the schedule, so I try not to put much thought into it.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 15th, 2019, 9:15 am

A healing week off is just that. In this climate of oversized and overbuilt players hammering on each other, a recovering break is a welcome break. It's a challenge to sort out just how strong this AGGIE team is, but a break early on, especially with the questions we have at corner, isn't all that bad from a player preparation viewpoint.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » September 15th, 2019, 9:36 am

I don't like it as a fan but do like it for the Team wirh the current situation. We played a solid Wake Team on the road that we can learn from. Then we play a good FCS program which gave us a chance to work in a lot of young dudes to prepare for depth. Now we have an extra week to prepare for a Team we have not beaten in what seems like forever. First conference game on the road , We need this game to get some positive MoJo going foreward.

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » September 15th, 2019, 12:56 pm

It genuinely sucks as a fan, but I think there is little doubt it’s very good for the team. Also, we’re seeing that our competition is legit. If we can win some of these tough games, it will ultimately make for a satisfying season, even if we don’t play for the conference crown.

I genuinely think we can win 8 or 9 games if we find a way to gut one out vs SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 16th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Being that I am a fan of the SDSU Aztecs I don't know how much I count, but I really hate the timing of your two byes (or at least the first one) this year.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
thegreendalegelf

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 16th, 2019, 1:19 pm

Al-O-Meter wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Being that I am a fan of the SDSU Aztecs I don't know how much I count, but I really hate the timing of your two byes (or at least the first one) this year.
Glad to see you visit. i've read your takes on aztecmesa and you keep a pretty level head.

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 16th, 2019, 1:25 pm

sam tingey wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Al-O-Meter wrote:
Glad to see you visit. i've read your takes on aztecmesa and you keep a pretty level head.
I do have a lot of respect for the program USU is building and for the fan base.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Al-O-Meter wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:25 pm
sam tingey wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Al-O-Meter wrote:
I do have a lot of respect for the program USU is building and for the fan base.
Can you tell me why USU hasn't ever seen a defense like SDSU's like people are claiming on aztecmesa? I am legitimately interested in seeing how our offense will stack up to the Aztec D.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 16th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Al-O-Meter wrote:
Who wins each of these battles in your view as a SDSU fan? Feel free to elaborate.

USU OL vs SDSU DL?
USU WR vs SDSU DB?
USU RB vs SDSU LB?
USU DL vs SDSU OL?
USU DB vs SDSU WR?
USU LB vs SDSU RB?
Who is the x factor on SDSU?
What is your key to the game?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Remember what we did after last year's bye? Expect more of that!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 16th, 2019, 2:05 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Al-O-Meter wrote:
Who wins each of these battles in your view as a SDSU fan? Feel free to elaborate.

USU OL vs SDSU DL?
USU WR vs SDSU DB?
USU RB vs SDSU LB?
USU DL vs SDSU OL?
USU DB vs SDSU WR?
USU LB vs SDSU RB?
Who is the x factor on SDSU?
What is your key to the game?
SDSU is going to be a bit of a mystery going in. Going in to the season the Aztecs Defensive Line was thought to be a weakness. They’re a bit undersized and new, but we’ve got a great D-Line coach and he has stripped nearly all the blitz packages out so as to simplify the defense. It has worked and our run defense has looked good, but without the blitz packages we aren’t getting to the QB. That said, I do not think the defense that has been shown on film so far this season is the defense USU will face. We’ll be bringing everyone from everywhere. Will it work? Will we get pressure on Love? We won’t know until they play the game.

USU OL vs SDSU DL – Utah State will not be able to run. Pass protection is a big question but I won’t be the DL that will kill you. The Aztecs shift and stunt on every down. That can cause confusion to where the OL can lose track of the rest of the crazy 3-3-5 Rocky runs, and the USU O-Line seems on the young side.

USU WR vs SDSU DB – You’ll kill us if it is a match-up between WR and DB. The ONLY way we stop the Aggie WR’s is to make the QB run for his life. One note to be had here is that the Aztec secondary is very good at putting helmets on balls. Catches followed by fumbles are common.

USU RB vs SDSU LB – The Aggies won’t be able to run. You could have a P5 line and a Heisman back, and it wouldn’t matter. The Aztecs are among the best in the entire NCAA over the past 10 years at stuffing the run.

USU DL vs SDSU OL – This could be a mixed bag as neither unit is amazing. If the Aggies put 8 or 9 in the box to support the DL you’ll likely give us trouble. If USU respects the pass and only puts 7 in the box the Aztecs will run right down the Aggies throat.

USU DB vs SDSU WR – This depends entirely on the above match-up. If the Aggies respect the pass they’ll likely shut down the SDSU WR. If the Aggies put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run SDSU will do what it did against UCLA.

USU LB vs SDSU RB – Third category in a row that depends on scheme. The Aztec running backs this year aren’t as strong as in previous years. The Aztecs also don’t have a healthy Fullback so our power formations use a Tight End to lead block. The Aztecs are stoppable. I don’t know if USU can do it with only putting 7 in the box, but with 8 or more I think the Aggies can cause a lot of headaches for the Aztec running game.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 16th, 2019, 2:20 pm

sam tingey wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:26 pm
Can you tell me why USU hasn't ever seen a defense like SDSU's like people are claiming on aztecmesa? I am legitimately interested in seeing how our offense will stack up to the Aztec D.
The Aztecs run a unique defense called the 3-3-5 or 3-3 stack. There are other teams who also run that defense but none quite like SDSU. In truth it acts more like a 4-2-5 than a 3-3 stack, but it is different and statistically good year after year. I don't know if we'll be able to stop USU's passing attack but if you are going to grasp for hope that the Aztecs will come out with a victory, grasping for the Aztecs D to pull out the win isn't unreasonable.

One side note is that Rocky Long invented his version of the 3-3-5 specifically to beat the Lavell Edwards era BYU teams. It is funny that it has ended up being better against the run than against the pass-happy teams it was designed to stop. We'll just have to see what it looks like against the Aggies.

Locked Previous topicNext topic