Random Pet Peeve

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgMan21

Re: Random Pet Peeve

Post by AgMan21 » September 12th, 2019, 9:45 am

ChicAggie wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:16 am
brownjeans wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 11:07 am
ChicAggie wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 8:38 am
Other driving pet peeves:

- Drivers who don't signal their intentions before turning or changing lanes

- Drivers who don't pay attention when the light changes and then get mad and flip you off when you give them the polite tap on the horn to alert them that the light has changed (the appropriate response is to get moving and give a polite "apology wave")
Drivers who take my signal as a challenge to quickly make claim to the land I intend to move to and cut me off or block me out by any means.
Oh my gosh! This! There is plenty of room in the lane I need to move to. I turn on my signal and then the car behind me starts closing the gap. I think it's a knee-jerk reaction from a lot of people. Usually I still just start moving into the lane as there is usually still the space to do so. I just end up with someone tailgating me breifly (I hope). I've been honked at, for doing this, but really they've got no right to.
Unexpectedly, when I lived in Los Angeles, drivers more often than not would keep the gap open or allow it to open even wider if I signaled to move over. In the Chicagoland area, I find it is quite the opposite. It seems that the vast majority of drivers rush to close the gap when you signal. Definitely a pet peeve.
The LA drivers had probably never seen a turn signal so they didn't know what to do. :)

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Turtle wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
AgMac wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 4:30 pm
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 12th, 2019, 12:18 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:56 am
Apostrophes when somebody is using a plural word.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » September 12th, 2019, 12:49 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:56 am
Apostrophe's when somebody is using a plural word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FIFY
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post (total 3):
NVAggieQuackAttackAggieaggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 12th, 2019, 1:32 pm

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 12th, 2019, 8:02 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AgMac wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
This drives me nuts too, but for me I’m almost as much bothered by people thinking it’s ok for their dog to crap in my yard as long as they clean it up. There’s still poo residue people!
Hipsterdoofus is my spirit animal. I've said the same thing 10,000,000 times. How insanely inconsiderate do you have to be to allow your dog to crap in someone else's yard, cleanup or not? In what world do you think its ok to allows your pet on someone else's property to take a crap?
I think you are overestimating how much control pet-owners have over where/when their dog poops.. If your neighbors dog is ALWAYS pooping in your yard, that is different, but if I'm on a walk with my dog, he's just gonna poop on some yard, and I clean it up every time. If you're that bothered by poop residue, you either need a pet or a baby to help you move past it.
If I’m on a walk with my kids I don’t let them run on a random person’s yard or even a neighbor’s yard.

I don’t like that an individual’s decision to get a dog suddenly makes it neighborhood’s shared responsibility. If pet owners can’t control where their pet roams, goes to the bathroom, digs, or the sounds it’s making in the wee hours of the morning then they shouldn’t have that pet unless everyone on the street signed off on the decision.

Like AgMac I too grew up on a farm. It isn’t about the poop, it’s about respecting someone’s property.
And you can respect that property by picking up after your pet. It is the outdoors. The pet is an animal. It is no different than a deer coming down from the mountains and into your yard and dropping their raisins. It comes with the territory of having a yard. At least I'm picking up after the pet I own!

You can't make the comparison to children. You are able to give them more explicit instructions.

There are plenty of things that become the neighborhood's responsibility without having to get permission that everyone has to deal with. I have a neighbor that has been remodeling their yard for the last four years. The neighborhood has had to deal with the dirt mounds that blow everywhere when it even gets a little windy. I didn't sign off on their decision. There are plenty of things that would fit into this example, and I guarantee you would have some yourself. It is all a give and take.
They’re called leashes. I know pet owners find them inhumane but dogs aren’t human. While I can appreciate you’re at least an owner that picks up the poop, I don’t relate domesticated pets with wild animals. Like what was already said it’s not about the poop so much as a pet owner determining that my yard is free for use of their pet simply because it’s an animal and “animals will be animals after all”.

It's a piece of dirt with some vegetation on it. I couldn't care less if a dog poops on my lawn as long as the owner picks it up. It's not disrespectful or lazy (if they pick it up it's the opposite of lazy). There are bigger things to be annoyed about in life. Like the inappropriate use of quotation marks in "society".
Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
You sound like a dog owner yourself.

WAaggieFan

Random Pet Peeve

Post by WAaggieFan » September 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AgMac wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Was my use inappropriate? It’s how dog owner’s justify their dogs behavior and pass the buck on responsibility.
Actually it was. Owners should not have an apostrophe while their dog’s behavior should. Did I get that one right, quack? Or should dogs have been plural too? In which case I think it might be dogs’ behavior?

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » September 12th, 2019, 9:46 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AgMac wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Actually it was. Owners should not have an apostrophe while their dog’s behavior should. Did I get that one right, quack? Or should dogs have been plural too? In which case I think it might be dogs’ behavior?

Subaru’s the word was Subaru’s, but thanks for playing.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 13th, 2019, 6:57 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:16 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AgMac wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Subaru’s the word was Subaru’s, but thanks for playing.
Hmmm, didn’t see that word anywhere in what I quoted. But it’s really hard to keep track of where this thread is going! :cheers:

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » September 13th, 2019, 9:46 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:02 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Turtle wrote:
AgMac wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Haha no sorry. I actually didn't notice your use of quotation marks that was just a happy accident! I was thinking like when restaurants or grocery stores advertise their food as "fresh". I just don't mind animals on my lawn. Except for squirrels. They can burn in hell. But as long as owners clean up after them, I don't really care. I did grow up with a dog though so maybe that's why I don't care. And I grew up in Logan where almost everywhere has a green strip so our dog could just do his business there.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 13th, 2019, 10:21 am

As long as we're picking nits, with very few exceptions (colons, for example) punctuation belongs inside the quotes -- even if you're just quoting a single word like "fresh."

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » September 13th, 2019, 10:57 am

ChicAggie wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:21 am
As long as we're picking nits, with very few exceptions (colons, for example) punctuation belongs inside the quotes -- even if you're just quoting a single word like "fresh."
As with most grammar rules in English it depends on where you are from and whether you were taught American English rules or not. As a rule of thumb in American English, you are correct. Periods and commas always go inside the quotation marks. However, traditionally, it depended on what you were quoting and whether the punctuation applies to only the quote or the entire sentence. I was taught by an English teacher that believed in traditional English rules and in my opinion it just makes more sense that the punctuation should be used in that way. Which, I suppose, means that I'm swimming against the current of modern grammar rules.

Since I don't really care one way or another, I'll do my best to switch to the modern usage. But I'm never giving up the oxford comma. You'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hand.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 3):
NVAggieChicAggieJSHarvey

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 13th, 2019, 11:12 am

AgMan21 wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:57 am
ChicAggie wrote:
As with most grammar rules in English it depends on where you are from and whether you were taught American English rules or not. As a rule of thumb in American English, you are correct. Periods and commas always go inside the quotation marks. However, traditionally, it depended on what you were quoting and whether the punctuation applies to only the quote or the entire sentence. I was taught by an English teacher that believed in traditional English rules and in my opinion it just makes more sense that the punctuation should be used in that way. Which, I suppose, means that I'm swimming against the current of modern grammar rules.

Since I don't really care one way or another, I'll do my best to switch to the modern usage. But I'm never giving up the oxford comma. You'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hand.
I don't understand how the oxford comma is even questionable. Clearly the best.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 2):
AgMan21JSHarvey

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 13th, 2019, 12:30 pm

OXFORD COMMA RULES!!!!
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
JSHarvey

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 13th, 2019, 12:37 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 12:30 pm
OXFORD COMMA RULES!!!!
You know what. I think I just found my poster to hold up at the next home game.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
JSHarvey

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 13th, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm all about the Oxford comma. I don't want to live in a world where it doesn't exist.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » September 13th, 2019, 8:27 pm

I always use the oxford comma at school, for work and even at home.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyJSHarvey

Hail Aggies!

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » September 13th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 9:01 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

Love this! I don’t know when it happened but over the past 10 years every dog owner thinks I am just as enamored by their dog as they are. When did leashes become illegal? Every time I am biking in the mountains i come upon hikers with dogs loose. The dog will race up to me and whether it is aggressive or just curious or wants to play - I’m not interested. That’s why I didn’t bring a dog with me. They never can control their dog - but still refuse to leash it.

The whole taking a dump on your property - major annoyance. Just because your dog decides it’s time doesn’t give it the right to come over and pop a squat on my lawn. If you want a domestic pet - great, but be responsible. Your decision to be a pet owner shouldn’t affect my life. It’s just lazy and inconsiderate
I just plain hate dogs. My father hated dogs, and his father before him. I walk past without looking at them, no matter how much their owners try to get me to pet, appreciate, or otherwise acknowledge their loud, stinking existence. Woe be unto the dog that craps in my yard.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 13th, 2019, 11:41 pm

"I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person."
-Bill Murray
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Turtle

calaggie

Post by calaggie » September 14th, 2019, 10:50 am

I love dogs. It’s the dog owners that are the problem. If I have to hear one more dog owner tell me in hushed tones “he’s a rescue,” my head might explode. Like they’re mother Teresa for not going to a breeder or puppy mill.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » September 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm

THEY'RE NOT YOUR G@/×! D&÷*# BABIES!

Treating a dog like a person just ruins a good dog by foisting your codependency on a confused little animal turning it into a reflection of your psycho self!

Every time I hear anyone say fur baby I want to puke!
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
Zaggie07

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » September 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Treating a dog like a person just ruins a good dog by foisting your codependency on a confused little animal turning it into a reflection of your psycho self!

fur baby

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » September 14th, 2019, 9:24 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 6:50 pm
BearLakeMonster wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 1:51 pm

fur baby

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 16th, 2019, 8:52 am

Wow. Some pretty strong opinions on dogs in here.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » September 16th, 2019, 10:25 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 11:12 am
AgMan21 wrote:
September 13th, 2019, 10:57 am
ChicAggie wrote:

I don't understand how the oxford comma is even questionable. Clearly the best.
Indeed. When writing or editing, I always use the Oxford comma. If the writer I'm editing doesn't like it, F'em.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Football etiquette is missing.

Children should be chaperoned, they should not roam around the west stadium club level. that is what happened. 5 monsters ruined much of the game for many of those in section 7 of the club seat area. Never sat down, moved to the rail blocking the view for many in attendance, screamed at folks below that where walking on the concourse throwing stuff at them.

If you want to leave your seat why not leave when there is a break in the action ? Then you return do the same thing. Do not kick the seat of those in front of you. When you send your kid to get the free snack's offered why not go less than 10 times in one game?

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » September 16th, 2019, 10:30 pm

For what it's worth, I love the Oxford comma as much as I hate dogs.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » September 20th, 2019, 7:56 am

I saw a pet peeve about not waving when someone lets you in to a traffic jam or something. I always wave cuz it’s the right thing to do. What about not waving back? Oh cuz you are nice enough to let someone in you don’t have to do the polite thing and wave back?

Machismo

Post by Machismo » September 20th, 2019, 8:09 am

How about when your out in public as a little kid and your mom licks her fingers then wipes your hair trying to get it to lay down.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » September 20th, 2019, 8:51 am

Machismo wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 8:09 am
How about when your out in public as a little kid and your mom licks her fingers then wipes your hair trying to get it to lay down.
*you're

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 20th, 2019, 11:58 am

Machismo wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 8:09 am
*wipe's
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
BigBlueDartsam tingey

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 20th, 2019, 12:41 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm
Football etiquette is missing.

Children should be chaperoned, they should not roam around the west stadium club level. that is what happened. 5 monsters ruined much of the game for many of those in section 7 of the club seat area. Never sat down, moved to the rail blocking the view for many in attendance, screamed at folks below that where walking on the concourse throwing stuff at them.

If you want to leave your seat why not leave when there is a break in the action ? Then you return do the same thing. Do not kick the seat of those in front of you. When you send your kid to get the free snack's offered why not go less than 10 times in one game?
I don’t mean to be a downer in what is a fun thread but I’m sad this problem isn’t worse.

I was at a local park one weekend that just happened to be the Pop-Warner sign-up day. There were, at most, 12 boys there to sign up. That isn’t 12 boys for a single age group. It was 12 total for all ages.

It so happens in my area that Pop-Warner also runs cheerleaders. On that same day there had to be 80-100 girls there to sign up to be cheerleaders. Football sign-up day was a field full of girls wanting to be cheerleaders and 10 or 12 boys.

The Aztecs used to draw 50,000+ to big games. In the upcoming USU game showcasing a future NFL star in Jordan Love, it is likely to be 25,000 in attendance. The mobs of kids who used to crowd the rails at the bottom of the aisle hoping to get the attention of the mascot, or a cheerleader, or get a cameraman to show them on the jumbotron are few and far between.

I know I’m part of the problem. I’m a big brawlin 6’5” former defensive end, and my wife is 5’11”. My 7-year old son is a natural athlete who towers over his classmates. He will not be allowed to play football. The years of head trauma incurred by all the practice necessary to become a high level performer are too high of a price to pay. That day in the park shows me how many of my neighbors agree with me, and so the love of this great game is breaking down.

I do have season tickets. My son and I go to every game. He loves it, but he really loves the tailgate with my friends and their kids more than he loves the game. I understand not liking poorly behaved kids but kids have always been wiggly. This problem used to be worse and I worry that as the as the stadiums empty of unruly kids, that it isn’t a good thing.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
thegreendalegelf

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 20th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Football is hard in the body, no question.

But life is even harder.

My broken neck. My aggravated scoliosis. My broken tailbone. My separated shoulder. These are my wounds that pain me in my sixties. Each the result of blunt force trauma. Each the result of football. And my one and only concussion didn't stop me from becoming a reasonably competent attorney. What else am I to point to that makes me proud of my manhood, who never fired a gun in anger at anybody?

Better my several traumas than never to have measured myself against other men and boys. Better to have aches and pains that aren't really occasioned by age alone.

Excuse my bluntness, but you're stealing something precious from that boy.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » September 20th, 2019, 1:27 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Better my several traumas than never to have measured myself against other men and boys. Better to have aches and pains that aren't really occasioned by age alone.

Maybe, but don’t confuse not playing tackle football with not competing. He’s been in martial arts since his fifth birthday, with full-contact sparing starting at around 6 ½. He’s been swimming since he was less than a year old and crushed his age-group at meets before moving up to compete against 8-year olds. He’s just started basketball for the first time this week. In the past he’s also tried soccer and baseball. In the next couple years he’ll get to try the very California sports of Triathlon and Water Polo. He’s also playing flag football after school. It is just tackle football that is off limits.

Contact sports, Non-contact sports, team sports, and solo sports, he does square off against friends and rivals all the time. Maybe this is an overshare, but currently we’re having an issue with honesty. He’s so competitive that he argues calls even when he knows he’s wrong just to see if he can get away with it. We’re having an ongoing talk about how bad it is to be cheater, and how being seen as a cheater ruins all the hard work you did because people will think you just won by cheating even when you didn’t. Like I said, that is off topic but it is on my mind and so now you all know about it but the life lessons and experiences, good and bad, that come from competition are being filled just not through tackle football.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post (total 5):
AgMan21thegreendalegelfUSU78JSHarveycrazywookie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 20th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Al-O-Meter wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:27 pm
USU78 wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Maybe, but don’t confuse not playing tackle football with not competing. He’s been in martial arts since his fifth birthday, with full-contact sparing starting at around 6 ½. He’s been swimming since he was less than a year old and crushed his age-group at meets before moving up to compete against 8-year olds. He’s just started basketball for the first time this week. In the past he’s also tried soccer and baseball. In the next couple years he’ll get to try the very California sports of Triathlon and Water Polo. He’s also playing flag football after school. It is just tackle football that is off limits.

Contact sports, Non-contact sports, team sports, and solo sports, he does square off against friends and rivals all the time. Maybe this is an overshare, but currently we’re having an issue with honesty. He’s so competitive that he argues calls even when he knows he’s wrong just to see if he can get away with it. We’re having an ongoing talk about how bad it is to be cheater, and how being seen as a cheater ruins all the hard work you did because people will think you just won by cheating even when you didn’t. Like I said, that is off topic but it is on my mind and so now you all know about it but the life lessons and experiences, good and bad, that come from competition are being filled just not through tackle football.
Thanks for sharing it with us.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Al-O-Meter

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic