Lost New Mexico Bowl?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dyedblue

Lost New Mexico Bowl?

Post by dyedblue » June 10th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Did anyone else catch on the news last night that starting next year the NM Bowl will pit the PAC-12 against the MWC as they have dropped the WAC? Not good for us at all.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Lost New Mexico Bowl?

Post by brownjeans » June 10th, 2011, 5:28 pm

Does the WAC have any bowl ties anymore? Hawaii - gone, Boise (whatever they called it) - gone. New Mexico - gone. What's that leave?

I think all that leaves is the San Francisco bowl.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 10th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Good to see that the NMSU Aggies have so much pull in their state.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm

NVAggie wrote:Good to see that the NMSU Aggies have so much pull in their state.

From what I have observed, NMSU vs. UNM is more brutal than either of our two in state rivalries. These two institutions loath each other. The annual athletic budget financial disparity between the two school favors the Lobos by millions of dollars. There is much angst between them.

I wonder if the WAC could investigate incentives to put some kind of a bowl game into Las Crusus? Lovely weather down there in December.

TheRoar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheRoar » June 10th, 2011, 8:30 pm

brownjeans wrote:I think all that leaves is the San Francisco bowl.
Not really.
Pacific-12* vs. Army*

* Should the Pac-12 fail to qualify enough teams to supply a team to the KFHB, or should Army fail to become bowl eligible, the Bowl has backup agreements with the MAC, ACC and WAC to provide a replacement team.
http://www.kraftbowl.org/the-game/embl-game-facts.html

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » June 10th, 2011, 10:06 pm

dyedblue wrote:Did anyone else catch on the news last night that starting next year the NM Bowl will pit the PAC-12 against the MWC as they have dropped the WAC? Not good for us at all.
Where have you been, Dyed... this is old news. Known about this for awhile now... why do you think NEIowa and I were saying, a couple weeks back, that USU would almost be better off as an Indy rather than stay in a conference that will basically have NO bowl ties whatsoever.

The WAC bowl tie-in situation is a direct reflection of the leadership from Benson, imo. With LT's proximity to Shreveport, the WAC should've been all over the Independence Bowl when one of the tie-in spots opened up a year ago an a half ago... could've sent our champion there every year, but no. The MWC swooped in and took it and kudos to them for being proactive.

All the WAC has, aside from the H-Bowl(on its death bed) is 'replacement' tie-ins in case certain schools and/or conferences aren't able to fill their alloted spot in a bowl. Pathetic.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 11th, 2011, 9:24 am

If we went independent due to no bowl tie-ins, does that mean we could join the WCC, or go non-football in the MWC to sustain basketball? (if 2 or 3 teams go multiple rounds then that might outweigh the money advantages of staying in the WAC) Notre Dame is the only program I know of that has been able to field a decent FB team, as an independent... Could we still improve Football to where we want to be without a conference? Granted if the WAC is the new MAC that doesn't help us either.... WHY didnt we take the MWC up on there offer?!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 13th, 2011, 8:11 am

What offer? It's my understanding that there was never an "offer," but just an "inquiry of interest."

Steve509
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Steve509 » June 13th, 2011, 12:26 pm

what ever happened with the report that the city of San Antonio was trying to purchase an existing bowl game?

losing another bowl coupled with the NCAA statement about no new bowls for the next few years is very bad news for the WAC.

as far as going INDY, i don't see how that helps anything.

ETA: this also hurts the chances of adding another FB program. who wants in a conference with no secure bowl tie-in?
it may hurt recruiting a bit too.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » June 14th, 2011, 7:36 am

As long as the WAC can stay stable for a few years, they'll pick up some more bowl tie-ins.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » June 14th, 2011, 2:16 pm

I claim next week to randomly post about losing the New Mexico Bowl as if it were new news no one has already posted about 6 or 7 times. :cool2: :devil:

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

Locked Previous topicNext topic