Not Excited For This Game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NavyBlue

Not Excited For This Game

Post by NavyBlue » September 6th, 2019, 8:31 am

Sorry a win over Stony Brook isn't going to make me feel better about last week's loss. We should win in a blowout this is not test for our team at all. If we are going to play FCS teams, other than SUU, Weber, or Idaho State, let's play Montana or Montana State. Someone kind of regional and interesting.

AggieFBObsession

Re: Not Excited For This Game

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 6th, 2019, 8:36 am

NavyBlue wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:31 am
Sorry a win over Stony Brook isn't going to make me feel better about last week's loss. We should win in a blowout this is not test for our team at all. If we are going to play FCS teams, other than SUU, Weber, or Idaho State, let's play Montana or Montana State. Someone kind of regional and interesting.
For the die hard fan this is not so interesting unless you pay close attention to the 3 and 4 deep (I highly recommend). For the casual fan this will be fun because it's an Aggie game.

But to the coaches this is a critical game to evaluate bugs in the execution at all levels.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
NavyBlue

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 6th, 2019, 8:38 am

Unfortunately some of the FCS schools are demanding more money. From what I heard, Weber increased what they were asking for by quite a bit so we've started switching to teams that don't require us to pay as much.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
NavyBlue

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » September 6th, 2019, 8:44 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:38 am
Unfortunately some of the FCS schools are demanding more money. From what I heard, Weber increased what they were asking for by quite a bit so we've started switching to teams that don't require us to pay as much.
No doubt true. I'm from Missoula and I know the Griz don't even play FBS teams most years (they don't need to) and I'm sure they would want a lot to come here. The MSU Bobcats played Matt Well's Texas Tech team last week. Still I would be more excited about a one point road win at Wake Forest than a 70 point home shellacking of Stony Brook. I'm looking forward for our shot at San Diego State next week.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 6th, 2019, 8:45 am

We have to balance the books and the schedule. We need a cheap home game to offset the body bag game.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
JSHarveysneed

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » September 6th, 2019, 8:49 am

NVAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:45 am
We have to balance the books and the schedule. We need a cheap home game to offset the body bag game.
I get that.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » September 6th, 2019, 8:52 am

NavyBlue wrote:
John Hartwell went on record in an interview this offseason as to why we're playing Stony Brook. The local FCS teams are demanding more of a payout and Stony Brook was willing to take a lot less money. That's why we're playing them.

As far as this game being a pushover, I'm worried for an additional meltdown on the board if this game is relatively close. Stony Brook is a good team. the S&P+ ranking system I'm a huge fan of for FBS actually rates Stony Brook as a better team than Weber State. They also have a defensive lineman I've seen some stuff on Twitter about people thinking he'll be drafted.

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Machismo

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 6th, 2019, 9:01 am

Well Stony Brook has a larger overall athletic budget than Montana or Montana state by $10 million, in fact it is larger than San Jose st.

They played 3 FCS schools ranked in the top 25, won 2 and lost the third ranked one by 3 points on the road. They maybe better than our fans believe.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
Machismo

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 6th, 2019, 9:18 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:52 am

As far as this game being a pushover, I'm worried for an additional meltdown on the board if this game is relatively close. Stony Brook is a good team. the S&P+ ranking system I'm a huge fan of for FBS actually rates Stony Brook as a better team than Weber State. They also have a defensive lineman I've seen some stuff on Twitter about people thinking he'll be drafted.

Worth noting: Stony Brook is #11 in Connolly's FCS rankings. Tennessee Tech is #97. Anyone who's expecting something like the TT game last year should adjust expectations.

Side note: It makes me a little sad to see our former conference mate Idaho stuck in the middle of FCS. It's arguable that they never should have moved up to FBS (or Division 1-A at the time), but they, Boise and Nevada were the pick of the Big Sky litter when they moved up in 1996. The Donks and Pack have established themselves, but the Vandals never quite did. Still they were a good mate when our conferences (Big West, Sun Belt and WAC) needed all we could get.
Last edited by OKAggie on September 6th, 2019, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody here knows anything.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 6th, 2019, 9:22 am

Speaking only for myself, I can't imagine not being excited for this or any game! I love the whole experience of driving to Logan from Bountiful, getting their early, hearing the music on the field as the players warm up, talking to my friends that are there, and enjoying the spectacular views and atmosphere. I'm so amped for tomorrow! I love Aggie football!

As have many of you, I've spent a lot of miserable days and nights after close Aggie losses, or blowouts. And I've also relished in great victories. My wife and I have just decided that we are going to have fun regardless, and enjoy the investments we make in Utah State, which for us, are not insignificant.

Enjoy the weekend no matter what we all do...I appreciate all of you who love the Aggies. Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 8):
OKAggieoleblu111MachismoRoy McAvoyBigBlueSteveAgliciousvegasaggieJSHarvey

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 6th, 2019, 9:24 am

When I go to the Utah State Football games, I go to watch Utah State, not the other team.

I'm excited! :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
utahcountyaggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 6th, 2019, 9:29 am

Reasons to get excited for this game:
  • The Aggies are playing.

I mean, what more do you need?
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
Roy McAvoy

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 6th, 2019, 9:50 am

Personally, I don't care who we are playing. I barely care which sport we are playing. I care that it's the Aggies.

If I found out that Utah State women's ping pong was playing within a reasonable distance from me, you better believe I'd be there.

That loss last week will always sting. If we go 12-2 and win the conference- those two losses will still sting. It's done. We lost. We need to make adjustments, but we aren't terrible. I'm glad we play good teams- even if it means we lose some, because the more experience we get, the better we will be. Dwelling on that loss now, isn't going to be good for the fan base.

Most people on here are not casual fans. If people around you consider you a die hard, then it sends a bad message to our community if we are not getting excited for games when we have an incredibly talented team. If I were a casual fan, and I saw someone who considers themselves a die-hard being pessimistic, I would be less inclined to get excited.

Go Aggies.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyJSHarvey

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 6th, 2019, 9:52 am

NavyBlue wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 8:44 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
No doubt true. I'm from Missoula and I know the Griz don't even play FBS teams most years (they don't need to) and I'm sure they would want a lot to come here. The MSU Bobcats played Matt Well's Texas Tech team last week. Still I would be more excited about a one point road win at Wake Forest than a 70 point home shellacking of Stony Brook. I'm looking forward for our shot at San Diego State next week.
If you’re looking forward to our shot at SDSU next week, you’re going to be really disappointed. I can promise you we will not be beating SDSU next week.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
sneed

Machismo

Post by Machismo » September 6th, 2019, 9:54 am

oleblu111 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 9:01 am
Well Stony Brook has a larger overall athletic budget than Montana or Montana state by $10 million, in fact it is larger than San Jose st.

They played 3 FCS schools ranked in the top 25, won 2 and lost the third ranked one by 3 points on the road. They maybe better than our fans believe.
I was bored a couple days ago so I went to their site and noticed this info that you posted, watched a couple interviews. These guys are a good program as they are listed #11 in the S&P+ as Roy posted.
They are ranked slightly higher than Weber, remember their game with San St. Last week. They do like to keep in on the ground with is good for us as our Front 7 is our strength. I think we' ll score score over 40 but am Leary they will put up some points as well, I don't think we cover, hope I'm wrong.

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » September 6th, 2019, 9:59 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 9:52 am
NavyBlue wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
If you’re looking forward to our shot at SDSU next week, you’re going to be really disappointed. I can promise you we will not be beating SDSU next week.
Ok, I am excited for our next game which will be against SDSU on Sept. 21.

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » September 6th, 2019, 10:42 am

There are plenty of reason to be excited for this game!
- The Aggies are playing
- They are a lot better than the most of the Aggie teams from the last 4 decades
- Awesome venue
- Warm Saturday afternoon/evenings in September
- Football is back in Logan
- Hopefully less stress than games with other opponents

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 6th, 2019, 11:33 am

I am happy because I get to watch the aggies. Is this a sexy opponent, no, but I don't care. As for Stony Brook, people are just looking at the name, but this team is a very solid FCS school. This will not be like last year. Do I think we will win, absolutely, but I don't you will see a 60-10 type game either. We have 6 home games a year I am going to get excited no matter who the opponent is.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » September 6th, 2019, 11:42 am

I'm totally cool with the Stony Brook game/matchup. I'm actually flying out for the game, getting an Airbnb in Logan, etc.

The weather should be ideal with A+ scenery. The game will (hopefully) not be insanely tense, which might allow my crew (wife and two girls, one of which is only a year old) to stay til the bitter end... maaaaaybe... We only made it through the 6th inning at our last sports outing...

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 6th, 2019, 11:58 am

I don't go to games for the opponent. I'm excited.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » September 6th, 2019, 12:35 pm

I’ve got season tickets for the first time ever. For the first time in years after living out of state I get to make the drive to Logan, get the goosebumps coming out of Sardine Canyon overlooking Cache Valley, get some Aggie Ice Cream, take a walk through campus, and then finally make it back to Maverik Stadium to watch my Aggies play in person.

I don’t give a @$#% who comes out of the visitor locker room. I’m soooo excited to finally be back.
These users thanked the author trombone_ninja for the post (total 4):
vegasaggiesam tingeyMachismoJSHarvey

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 6th, 2019, 12:50 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 12:35 pm
I’ve got season tickets for the first time ever. For the first time in years after living out of state I get to make the drive to Logan, get the goosebumps coming out of Sardine Canyon overlooking Cache Valley, get some Aggie Ice Cream, take a walk through campus, and then finally make it back to Maverik Stadium to watch my Aggies play in person.

I don’t give a @$#% who comes out of the visitor locker room. I’m soooo excited to finally be back.
That's exactly how I felt when I moved back in 2017. A lot of people hated that year. I loved it.

So, you're back in Utah, now? Where? And what section are your tickets in?

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 6th, 2019, 12:52 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 9:24 am
When I go to the Utah State Football games, I go to watch Utah State, not the other team.

I'm excited! :utah: :state:
YES!!!! I drive to Logan from SLC to see the AGGIES play, plus the gravy is exciting AGGIE Football. I've been doing this since the mid 1970's. I also enjoy seeing the campus again despite the pathetic lack of vision the Logan City fathers continue to embrace regarding city sponsored road design and subsequent construction.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 6th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Absolutely no disrespect to the original poster NavBlueAggie but I can't imagine not being excited about Aggie football. I love the sport and I love my school! :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
vegasaggie

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 12:59 pm
Absolutely no disrespect to the original poster NavBlueAggie but I can't imagine not being excited about Aggie football. I love the sport and I love my school! :utah: :state:
None taken "22". I'm always excited to attend an AGGIE Football game at the MAV. Not to be confused with Navy Blue from Montana, please. Appreciate your excellent and informative posts on the board and enjoy following your articles.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
aggies22

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » September 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Aggies22, I also enjoy your posts. I live in Indiana now, if I were closer I would still go to the game. I miss going to Aggie games.
These users thanked the author NavyBlue for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 6th, 2019, 1:47 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Absolutely no disrespect to the original poster NavBlue but I can't imagine not being excited about Aggie football. I love the sport and I love my school! :utah: :state:
None taken "22". I'm always excited to attend an AGGIE Football game at the MAV. Not to be confused with Navy Blue from Montana, please. Appreciate your excellent and informative posts on the board and enjoy following your articles.
SORRY!!! I just realized my error! Still no disrespect to either of you! My bad guys!!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
NavyBlue

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » September 6th, 2019, 1:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 1:47 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Absolutely no disrespect to the original poster NavBlue but I can't imagine not being excited about Aggie football. I love the sport and I love my school! :utah: :state:
SORRY!!! I just realized my error! Still no disrespect to either of you! My bad guys!!
No problem. I hope we win in a blowout.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » September 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

You sure are all over a team that scored 6 points last week.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 6th, 2019, 3:17 pm

brian5562 wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 3:16 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

You sure are all over a team that scored 6 points last week.
Against Weber.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » September 6th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Prime's right, though.

There's no chance we beat San Diego next week.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » September 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 3:19 pm
Prime's right, though.

There's no chance we beat San Diego next week.
Considering it's a 9/21 game.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » September 6th, 2019, 3:40 pm

I am excited to see some explosive plays and see who can win the stat game. I think Special Teams will have a big week and Scarver will get a kickoff return TD and Nathan may get a punt return TD.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 6th, 2019, 3:43 pm

Yes, looking for a solid AGGIE win against a strong FCS squad. Trusting there will be no serious injuries, and our defensive team develops more winning culture. I really enjoy watching the line play as that tells me where the play is going.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » September 6th, 2019, 3:52 pm

NavyBlue wrote:
OR the Idaho Vandals a team that beat CSU in the Idaho Potato Bowl in 2016.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Locked Previous topicNext topic