When will the full schedule be released?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JonnyCienPesos

Re: When will the full schedule be released?

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 4th, 2019, 3:29 pm

A team shouldn’t have to play so many neutral site games. No reason why PAC12 teams can’t schedule MW teams to a H/H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 4th, 2019, 3:33 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 2:58 pm
The NCAA is going to have to start making some scheduling requirements. Anyone who has been privy to this year’s scheduling attempts can tell you what a joke this has been. Literally nobody wants to play us.

No question it seems to have been tough, but we’ve been able to get some really good games on the schedule so far.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
The NCAA is going to have to start making some scheduling requirements. Anyone who has been privy to this year’s scheduling attempts can tell you what a joke this has been. Literally nobody wants to play us.

No question it seems to have been tough, but we’ve been able to get some really good games on the schedule so far.
That is true and it will be fun to see this team challenge itself. But some home games against good teams would be nice.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 4th, 2019, 3:57 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

That is true and it will be fun to see this team challenge itself. But some home games against good teams would be nice.

It would definitely be nice. Unfortunately the top tier teams don't play road games at all. If you want to play them then it's at their place or on a neutral floor. The next tier of teams might go on the road to play the top tier but that means they need more home games and have to get them from teams willing to go on the road (typically lower level). That means that when you get down to a team like USU there aren't a lot of teams left that are even willing to play road games at all and those that are willing to are going to Duke or North Carolina. Doesn't leave a lot. I was hoping that the NET ranking would help with this but it hasn't seemed to.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 4th, 2019, 3:59 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 3:36 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

It would definitely be nice. Unfortunately the top tier teams don't play road games at all. If you want to play them then it's at their place or on a neutral floor. The next tier of teams might go on the road to play the top tier but that means they need more home games and have to get them from teams willing to go on the road (typically lower level). That means that when you get down to a team like USU there aren't a lot of teams left that are even willing to play road games at all and those that are willing to are going to Duke or North Carolina. Doesn't leave a lot. I was hoping that the NET ranking would help with this but it hasn't seemed to.
That’s where the NCAA needs to step in and mandate a certain number of true road games.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
ProvoAggie

rAggie

Post by rAggie » September 4th, 2019, 5:41 pm

If we had a commissioner who was worth anything at all he'd be working day and night to secure some type of scheduling alliance with someone like the WCC or if worse comes to worst, the Big Sky...we can't be the only conference having these problems. Create an alliance that creates two games for each school every season, one home, one away. Do it in order of standings if it helps.

Maybe say 1 hosts 1 and visits 2
2 hosts 2 and visits 1

There are 11 teams in each league, 11th team could either do a home and home or you could figure something out if there are established games in the mix (i.e. USU vs. Weber)

For this year that would create a USU hosting Northern Colorado and visiting Montana.

Last year we would have hosted Idaho State and visited (ironically we did anyway) Montana State.

If we did this with the WCC this year we would host Saint Mary's and visit Gonzaga.

(Going off regular season standings)

Showing my True Colors since 2022

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 4th, 2019, 6:15 pm

rAggie wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 5:41 pm
If we had a commissioner who was worth anything at all he'd be working day and night to secure some type of scheduling alliance with someone like the WCC or if worse comes to worst, the Big Sky...we can't be the only conference having these problems. Create an alliance that creates two games for each school every season, one home, one away. Do it in order of standings if it helps.

2 hosts 2 and visits 1

There are 11 teams in each league, 11th team could either do a home and home or you could figure something out if there are established games in the mix (i.e. USU vs. Weber)

For this year that would create a USU hosting Northern Colorado and visiting Montana.

Last year we would have hosted Idaho State and visited (ironically we did anyway) Montana State.

If we did this with the WCC this year we would host Saint Mary's and visit Gonzaga.

I wouldn’t mind doing this with the WCC, A-10, AAC, or even the MVC. Probably a pass on the Big Sky. We can get those games on our own.

With the new NET rating system (that the committee seemed to follow pretty closely for seeding), there seems to be no reason NOT to play a brutal schedule and increase your odds at Q1 and Q2 wins — even if you have to go on the road to do it. I’m not really understanding the hesitancy teams have to play USU. It’s a chance at a Q1 win, and is probably a Q1 loss for the opponent worst case. High upside, and the downside wouldn’t hurt their NET much.

Good teams should want to schedule as many games as possible against good teams since that is what NET rewards.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 4th, 2019, 6:36 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:15 pm
I wouldn’t mind doing this with the WCC, A-10, AAC, or even the MVC. Probably a pass on the Big Sky. We can get those games on our own.

With the new NET rating system (that the committee seemed to follow pretty closely for seeding), there seems to be no reason NOT to play a brutal schedule and increase your odds at Q1 and Q2 wins — even if you have to go on the road to do it. I’m not really understanding the hesitancy teams have to play USU. It’s a chance at a Q1 win, and is probably a Q1 loss for the opponent worst case. High upside, and the downside wouldn’t hurt their NET much.

Good teams should want to schedule as many games as possible against good teams since that is what NET rewards.
A lot of it comes down to the fact that a power team doesn't need to schedule well in the OOC to get quality NET wins. You get them in conference play so you still stuff your schedule with small time games. Looking at Duke, they play in 2 challenges with neutral games and this is the rest of their OOC:
Colorado State
Central Arkansas
Georgia State
Stephen F Austin
Winthrop
@ Michigan State (B10/ACC Challenge...the only time they go on the road every other year)
Wofford
Brown

They only leave home once and it's when they are forced to. If they have a good year they'll still be a #1 seed. There is absolutely no reason for them to play a school like us. From what I've seen of the NET, it's making it harder for mid-major's to get quality wins.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » September 4th, 2019, 6:46 pm

The cowards at Utah look like they only play one true road game, and that's at Nevada.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

rAggie wrote:

2 hosts 2 and visits 1

The MW starts a yearly series with the A10 starting next year.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 3):
rAggieAggieFBObsessionsneed

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » September 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Just looked at Gonzaga's OOC schedule for home games. Looks like they get a bunch of little guy schools, oh and then there is UNC. Our OOC looks a lot harder.

Where only sage brush grows

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 4th, 2019, 7:13 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:10 pm
Just looked at Gonzaga's OCC schedule for home games. Looks like they get a bunch of little guy schools, oh and then there is UNC. Our OCC looks a lot harder.
Not sure who they had naked pictures of to get the Tar Heels to fly all the way to Spokane but it must have been someone pretty high up. That is North Carolina's only true road game.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » September 4th, 2019, 7:25 pm

nvspuds wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm
rAggie wrote:

2 hosts 2 and visits 1

The MW starts a yearly series with the A10 starting next year.
That's great news. A series is a good start. I wouldn't mind seeing either a two-game series or having another series with another conference. The more pre-baked stuff we can get in the schedule going forward, the better, if this is going to be a continuing challenge.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:36 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 6:15 pm

A lot of it comes down to the fact that a power team doesn't need to schedule well in the OOC to get quality NET wins. You get them in conference play so you still stuff your schedule with small time games. Looking at Duke, they play in 2 challenges with neutral games and this is the rest of their OOC:
Colorado State
Central Arkansas
Georgia State
Stephen F Austin
Winthrop
@ Michigan State (B10/ACC Challenge...the only time they go on the road every other year)
Wofford
Brown

They only leave home once and it's when they are forced to. If they have a good year they'll still be a #1 seed. There is absolutely no reason for them to play a school like us. From what I've seen of the NET, it's making it harder for mid-major's to get quality wins.
Kansas always schedules tough, although, is guilty of playing pretty much only neutral site and home games in the OOC. The fact that top schools very rarely play true road games needs to be taken into account.

Our path is trying to get as many neutral site games as possible against P5/AAC type programs and as many home and home series with peers like SMC. I think we did a great job of snagging those types of games this year even though it seems like teeth were pulled to get it done.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 4th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I like the neutral site games. It gives a mid major a chance to get a resume builder.

SLB

Post by SLB » September 4th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Why not add Montana to the schedule?
Montana is usually decent, and in 2018 they were #124 in Net Rankings.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 4th, 2019, 8:53 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Kansas always schedules tough, although, is guilty of playing pretty much only neutral site and home games in the OOC. The fact that top schools very rarely play true road games needs to be taken into account.
They do better than some...they do have 2 road games after all but I'm not sure I'd call their OOC super tough outside of a couple of games.

UNC Greensboro
Monmouth
East Tennessee
Colorado
UW Milwaukee
UMKC
@ Nova
@ Stanford
Tennessee (B12/SEC Challenge)

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 4th, 2019, 10:21 pm

They do better than some...they do have 2 road games after all but I'm not sure I'd call their OOC super tough outside of a couple of games.

UNC Greensboro
Monmouth
East Tennessee
Colorado
UW Milwaukee
UMKC
@ Nova
@ Stanford
You’re missing Duke and the Maui Invitational.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 4th, 2019, 10:25 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:

UNC Greensboro
Monmouth
East Tennessee
Colorado
UW Milwaukee
UMKC
@ Nova
@ Stanford
You’re missing Duke and the Maui Invitational.
I didn't include invitationals for any team. That seems to be the only way to play these teams because those are some of the few tough games they are willing to schedule. Duke and North Carolina are in invitationals as well but there isn't any incentive to schedule anyone outside of that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 4th, 2019, 10:41 pm

And realistically, we’re never getting a Duke or a Kansas to come to the Spectrum. But there are probably creative ways to get P5 teams that are a tier below like Baylor, Iowa State, Arizona State, NC State, etc. to come to the Spectrum for a game if circumstances are right (whether that’s through football scheduling like we did with USC a few years ago or by also agreeing to a quasi-2-for-1 scenario with the third neutral site game at a venue closer to the P5 school).

Not saying any of that was an option this year, though.

What am I saying? We should agree to a 2 for 1 football series with Kansas in exchange for KU basketball having to come to the Spectrum. We’d win all three football games no matter where they were played, and get Kansas basketball in the Spectrum :lol:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieaggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 5th, 2019, 6:15 am

nvspuds wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 3:24 pm
I don't know what the NCAA may or may not do but I think the MW will take a look at a 20 game conference schedule. Most of the members have trouble getting good match ups.
Let's be real Craig Thompson doesn't think that progressively. Maybe you should become the Commish.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 5th, 2019, 6:37 am

ineptimusprime wrote:And realistically, we’re never getting a Duke or a Kansas to come to the Spectrum. But there are probably creative ways to get P5 teams that are a tier below like Baylor, Iowa State, Arizona State, NC State, etc. to come to the Spectrum for a game if circumstances are right (whether that’s through football scheduling like we did with USC a few years ago or by also agreeing to a quasi-2-for-1 scenario with the third neutral site game at a venue closer to the P5 school).

What am I saying? We should agree to a 2 for 1 football series with Kansas in exchange for KU basketball having to come to the Spectrum. We’d win all three football games no matter where they were played, and get Kansas basketball in the Spectrum :lol:
I spoke with Barnes about ring games to football and he said it just isn't possible to do that. There is no leverage for us, unless we concede a massive amount of money, which we can't do.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 5th, 2019, 7:07 am

dyedblue wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:37 am
ineptimusprime wrote:And realistically, we’re never getting a Duke or a Kansas to come to the Spectrum. But there are probably creative ways to get P5 teams that are a tier below like Baylor, Iowa State, Arizona State, NC State, etc. to come to the Spectrum for a game if circumstances are right (whether that’s through football scheduling like we did with USC a few years ago or by also agreeing to a quasi-2-for-1 scenario with the third neutral site game at a venue closer to the P5 school).

I spoke with Barnes about ring games to football and he said it just isn't possible to do that. There is no leverage for us, unless we concede a massive amount of money, which we can't do.

Question — any idea how much we have to pay the Stony Brooks of the world for our baby body bag games? If that amount is the same or close to the massive amount of money we’d have to give up on our own body bag game, maybe we can skip an FCS game every now and again and concede some money for a killer home game in basketball. :noidea:

Just spitballing...

dogie

Post by dogie » September 5th, 2019, 7:20 am

dyedblue wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:37 am

USC played in the Spectrum years ago and it was part of a package that included a football game on the road.

Mississippi State also played in Logan a few years ago. Those are the only high-major OOC games in Logan in the past two decades that I remember.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 5th, 2019, 7:46 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:15 am
nvspuds wrote:
I don't know what the NCAA may or may not do but I think the MW will take a look at a 20 game conference schedule. Most of the members have trouble getting good match ups.
Let's be real Craig Thompson doesn't think that progressively. Maybe you should become the Commish.
I am not sure it is a particularly progressive idea. More like a move to make before the conference falls off the cliff. At any rate, Thompson doesn't decide anything..That is up to the presidents entirely.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 5th, 2019, 7:49 am

nvspuds wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 7:46 am
aggies22 wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 6:15 am
nvspuds wrote:
I am not sure it is a particularly progressive idea. More like a move to make before the conference falls off the cliff. At any rate, Thompson doesn't decide anything..That is up to the presidents entirely.
It would be progressive for our conference.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 5th, 2019, 8:06 am

More in the panic category..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
aggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 8th, 2019, 11:21 am

It’s gonna be this week, right??? 😂

Can’t wait for this season!

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » September 8th, 2019, 11:55 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

It could be really fun to have the previous year's tourney committee get to make up two or three match ups and venues for each D1 team the following season. They could designate one week a year for only these games to make scheduling easy. This would also allow great national marketing of the "Round of 64 Tourney Preview Week", helping to limit any revenue hit the big guys might suffer. Overall, it would not overburden a P5 team's ability to self schedule, nor would it cut into inter-conference "challenges", etc. It would help P-5s to "give back" to the sport a bit by traveling to and sharing their brands in Logan, Las Cruces, Laramie, Athens OH, Burlington VT, etc.
These users thanked the author SectionFaggie for the post:
sneed

SLB

Post by SLB » September 9th, 2019, 3:05 am

Oregon State hasn't released their schedule either.

dogie

Post by dogie » September 9th, 2019, 8:07 am

North Carolina A&T in Logan on November 15.

Good luck figuring out who the second Jamaica Classic home opponent is. It won’t be Eastern Michigan, who is playing at North Texas, but is being given a home game against Michigan-Dearborn rather than going on the road to play a second game against one of the four upper-bracket teams.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 9th, 2019, 8:46 am

There are many reasons why name teams do not play USU in the Spectrum. First is of course it is a tough place to play, second is we do not have commercial air service, so unless they charter it is a more difficult trip. Third reason is we are not a program that most people's fans would think is a top basketball school,, we need some NCAA tournament wins, for that to happen.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 9th, 2019, 9:06 am

The big boys don't have to go on the road because no one ever holds them accountable for not doing so. They aren't punished by having lower seeds or missing the tournament. Until that happens, there will continue to be a problem with scheduling.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21Fulldonlarson8

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » September 9th, 2019, 9:31 am

dogie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:07 am

Good luck figuring out who the second Jamaica Classic home opponent is. It won’t be Eastern Michigan, who is playing at North Texas, but is being given a home game against Michigan-Dearborn rather than going on the road to play a second game against one of the four upper-bracket teams.
Nicholls State, one of the four lower-tier Jamaica Classic teams, has already been announced on the schedule of upper-tier teams LSU and Rhode Island.

NCA&T is lower-tier and has already announced their games at USU and UNT.

Maryland Baltimore County is the fourth lower-tier team and is on LSU's schedule but not Rhode Island's (the Rams have issued a partial OOC schedule but only have the one lower-tier game against Nicholls). So UMBC's the only other option for a game in Logan against the lower-tier teams. UMBC hasn't announced any of its OOC schedule yet. I'm suspicious that they're trying to pull a Valparaiso on us (or maybe Eastern Michigan already did), and would prefer a short trip to Rhode Island rather than a long one to USU.

Nobody here knows anything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 9th, 2019, 9:35 am

OKAggie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:31 am
dogie wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 8:07 am

Nicholls State, one of the four lower-tier Jamaica Classic teams, has already been announced on the schedule of upper-tier teams LSU and Rhode Island.

NCA&T is lower-tier and has already announced their games at USU and UNT.

Maryland Baltimore County is the fourth lower-tier team and is on LSU's schedule but not Rhode Island's (the Rams have issued a partial OOC schedule but only have the one lower-tier game against Nicholls). So UMBC's the only other option for a game in Logan against the lower-tier teams. UMBC hasn't announced any of its OOC schedule yet. I'm suspicious that they're trying to pull a Valparaiso on us (or maybe Eastern Michigan already did), and would prefer a short trip to Rhode Island rather than a long one to USU.
Could it also be possible that we are trying to replace one of the lower tier games with a better game?

As I say that, your scenario seems more likely.

Locked Previous topicNext topic