Defense

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
utahcountyaggie
Posts: 100
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:56 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Defense

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 30th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Guess the question on the defense has been answered. D looks horrible. No pressure from the line. No coverage from the secondary.


Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5413
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 387 times
Been thanked: 669 times

Re: Defense

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 30th, 2019, 8:21 pm

That’s the 4 man front defense.

There’s a reason why we had success when Gary first came and switched us to a 3-4 defense and we could disguise and create exotic blitzes. Now it’s just straight up football and we don’t have the athletes there to get much pressure.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
utahcountyaggie



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9714
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5009 times
Been thanked: 2996 times
Contact:

Re: Defense

Post by aggies22 » August 30th, 2019, 8:27 pm

What defense?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
utahcountyaggie



User avatar
utahcountyaggie
Posts: 100
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:56 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Defense

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 30th, 2019, 8:51 pm

These WR matchups on our secondary are KILLER. We’ve gotta do SOMETHING to get some pressure.


Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

User avatar
dyedblue
Posts: 7942
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: Defense

Post by dyedblue » August 30th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Where is Tipa? He has been silent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
utahcountyaggie


“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9714
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 5009 times
Been thanked: 2996 times
Contact:

Re: Defense

Post by aggies22 » August 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm

dyedblue wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Where is Tipa? He has been silent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's been neutralized by this stupid slow play run game.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
utahcountyaggie



User avatar
utahcountyaggie
Posts: 100
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:56 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Defense

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 30th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Pleasantly surprised so far with Heninger. Really all 3 Utes have come up huge for us!
These users thanked the author utahcountyaggie for the post (total 3):
aggies22Aggie_in_IdahoNVAggie


Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

User avatar
utahcountyaggie
Posts: 100
Joined: August 15th, 2018, 11:56 am
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Defense

Post by utahcountyaggie » August 30th, 2019, 9:03 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 8:59 pm
dyedblue wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 8:57 pm
Where is Tipa? He has been silent


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's been neutralized by this stupid slow play run game.
That stupid crap is driving me crazy! Feels like we should be NAILING Carney in the backfield every time.


Living amongst the Zoobs.... :anonymous:

NavyBlueAggie
Posts: 2172
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 9:28 am
Has thanked: 194 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: Defense

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 30th, 2019, 9:20 pm

I agree a 3-4 offers many stunting options, and as I'm not watching the game I'm blind as to how the Wake "O" line is performing. I also believe we have, as advertised , very, very good players with our "D" line and our front seven. The coaches must be seeing something that keeps us in a 4-2-5....... if in fact that is the foundation we continue to play from or there would have been real time and half time adjustments.

Seems our secondary is suffering from the lack of a pass rush, and I'd like to see our AGGIE offense salt the game away.



User avatar
Zaggie07
Posts: 885
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:28 pm
Has thanked: 311 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Defense

Post by Zaggie07 » August 30th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Our defense isn't playing well at all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk




splintorb
Posts: 55
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Defense

Post by splintorb » August 30th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Tipa?? Where are you??



splintorb
Posts: 55
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Defense

Post by splintorb » August 30th, 2019, 10:08 pm

At least Woodward is legit. Bond looked good too.



splintorb
Posts: 55
Joined: October 11th, 2014, 7:50 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Defense

Post by splintorb » August 30th, 2019, 10:09 pm

But man...DJ Williams and Tipa...rough game...



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2753
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: Defense

Post by AgMac » August 30th, 2019, 10:16 pm

So disappointed in the defense. Really just awful. Looked like our Pre-Patterson defense. No aggression at all.

I will never understand why our D coordinator won't look at what/who has been successful here. Aranda, Orlando, Patterson. All incredibly aggressive. It is the only way to try and cover up the deficiencies in our secondary.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07utahcountyaggie



Elkaggie
Posts: 3766
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Defense

Post by Elkaggie » August 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm

AgMac wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:16 pm
So disappointed in the defense. Really just awful. Looked like our Pre-Patterson defense. No aggression at all.

I will never understand why our D coordinator won't look at what/who has been successful here. Aranda, Orlando, Patterson. All incredibly aggressive. It is the only way to try and cover up the deficiencies in our secondary.
Couldn’t agree more. We have also been able to have a bunch of turnovers and defensive scores with that style. I think we see will see less TO’s this year by a fair Margin.



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2753
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: Defense

Post by AgMac » August 30th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm
AgMac wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:16 pm
So disappointed in the defense. Really just awful. Looked like our Pre-Patterson defense. No aggression at all.

I will never understand why our D coordinator won't look at what/who has been successful here. Aranda, Orlando, Patterson. All incredibly aggressive. It is the only way to try and cover up the deficiencies in our secondary.
Couldn’t agree more. We have also been able to have a bunch of turnovers and defensive scores with that style. I think we see will see less TO’s this year by a fair Margin.
Yep. I understand it is a risk/reward situation. But it has proven to be worth the risk for us. Lots of sacks, makes QB throw more inaccurate balls, forces more interceptions. So we risk giving up some deep balls or touchdowns. Who cares? We're giving them up anyway because we don't match up and the QB has tons of time to place a good ball.



Elkaggie
Posts: 3766
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 5:21 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Defense

Post by Elkaggie » August 30th, 2019, 11:12 pm

AgMac wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 11:09 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm
AgMac wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 10:16 pm
So disappointed in the defense. Really just awful. Looked like our Pre-Patterson defense. No aggression at all.

I will never understand why our D coordinator won't look at what/who has been successful here. Aranda, Orlando, Patterson. All incredibly aggressive. It is the only way to try and cover up the deficiencies in our secondary.
Couldn’t agree more. We have also been able to have a bunch of turnovers and defensive scores with that style. I think we see will see less TO’s this year by a fair Margin.
Yep. I understand it is a risk/reward situation. But it has proven to be worth the risk for us. Lots of sacks, makes QB throw more inaccurate balls, forces more interceptions. So we risk giving up some deep balls or touchdowns. Who cares? We're giving them up anyway because we don't match up and the QB has tons of time to place a good ball.
Yep



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6419
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Defense

Post by 2004AG » August 31st, 2019, 12:03 am

splintorb wrote:But man...DJ Williams and Tipa...rough game...
I kept waiting for Tipa to make a big play........and he never did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 828 times
Been thanked: 762 times

Re: Defense

Post by NVAggie » August 31st, 2019, 12:09 am

Andersen is a defensive guy. I expected more. Kind of like Wells and his early offenses.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
utahcountyaggie



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 8749
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 507 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Defense

Post by FloridaAggie13 » August 31st, 2019, 12:59 am

Defense was manhandled by a second tier ACC team. When Wake ran the RPO, it was almost embarrassing how much time the qb had to make a decision.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5324
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 454 times

Re: Defense

Post by Aglicious » August 31st, 2019, 1:21 am

I thought the DL played great given how many total plays they were on the field in that game. WF rushed 58 times, that is staggering! and we held them to 3.1/ypc. I would say we won the battle on the line. Carney was beat to hell by the end and couldn't even gain a single yard on 3 tries with the game on the line. I think it was the plan to have the DL stand their guy up and maintain lane assignment to bottle the QB and RB and let the LBs shoot in to make tackles and it worked well.

The problem for our D came when Newman would pull the ball out and throw jump ball after jump ball to his WRs and we had no answer.



Locked Previous topicNext topic