Looking for a T.V.

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
oleblu111
RIP

Looking for a T.V.

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 1:50 pm

My old set works great, but thinking about a new one before football gets in full swing. I would like to buy from a Logan company. I would like one that is 55" to 60." Any ideas?

Jjoey53

Re: Looking for a T.V.

Post by Jjoey53 » August 22nd, 2019, 2:10 pm

Sam’s, but stay away from Visio, LG your best quality. Also check Best Buy and Walmart. Lynn’s is local but very expensive. ,

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 2:10 pm
Sam’s, but stay away from Visio, LG your best quality. Also check Best Buy and Walmart. Lynn’s is local but very expensive. ,
Thanks I believe I will try best buy first.

usu99

Post by usu99 » August 22nd, 2019, 2:27 pm

We have had very good luck with our Vizio and TCL models. Just get the higher level version and not the cheapo model.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 22nd, 2019, 3:07 pm

I bought a Samsung about ten years ago, and love it so much that it is the brand of TV that I've stuck with.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 3:19 pm

My current set is a Toshiba 46 inch but it is 18 years old and despite never having a service call, I will replace it the newer models have better picture, and sound so it is time for a change plus a 55 to 60 inch model will be nice thanks for the advise and help.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » August 22nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

Make sure you get plenty of input ports. We bought a Samsung and had a lot of issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 22nd, 2019, 3:27 pm

Also, whichever one you go with, make sure to turn off the motion smoothing! It makes everything look like a soap opera!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... rn-it-off/
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieAglicious

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 22nd, 2019, 4:06 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 3:27 pm
Also, whichever one you go with, make sure to turn off the motion smoothing! It makes everything look like a soap opera!

Haha...so funny you should mention that. This setting has become the eternal war we have in our household. I find that the wife and kids turn that feature on all the time because they like the look. I swear it makes everything look like it was filmed with a home camcorder, it's so different than watching a movie where foregrounds and backgrounds are blurry. Instead, everything within the picture at all levels is crystal clear -messes with your head. I don't mind it on for watching live sports but other than that - turn it off! :rant:
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
AgMan21

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 22nd, 2019, 4:15 pm

Aglicious wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 4:06 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 3:27 pm

Haha...so funny you should mention that. This setting has become the eternal war we have in our household. I find that the wife and kids turn that feature on all the time because they like the look. I swear it makes everything look like it was filmed with a home camcorder, it's so different than watching a movie where foregrounds and backgrounds are blurry. Instead, everything within the picture at all levels is crystal clear -messes with your head. I don't mind it on for watching live sports but other than that - turn it off! :rant:
I have always hated the look of it, but apparently it's also a big pet peeve of a lot of directors. Movies being shot on film have a much lower fps rate and so when the motion smoothing takes over it makes it look different than how it was filmed/intended. I just think it makes everything look funny. Glad I'm not alone!

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... oothing-tv

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » August 22nd, 2019, 5:16 pm

Go to a couple different electronics stores, or stores with electronics sections and pick out the tv's you find have the best quality image and aesthetic for your home. Make a list of 4-5 paying attention to the make and specifically the model number, then go online and read the reviews and compare the features that you feel you will use the most, narrow the list down to 3 or so. Finally look for the best prices and deals for those tvs and make your decision. There are lots of trade offs between manufacturers and model lines and everyone's specific setups dictate what features they need. Do you need a lot of inputs or do you mainly use just a cable box? Have you cut the cord and only stream content? Do you have a sound system that it will interface with or are you using built in speakers? Is it in a bright room where you need a lot of light output to compete with the natural light or is it in your man cave but you need a high refresh rate for gaming? Are you tech savvy and love digging into all the features or does it need to be idiot proof and have everything at the push of a button on the remote? Ask yourself all these questions and keep them in mind when looking at the different TV's. Ask lots of questions of the sales people and don't pull the trigger on anything until you have a chance to look up reviews online and compare prices.
These users thanked the author Gretsch for the post:
oleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Gretsch wrote:
August 22nd, 2019, 5:16 pm
Go to a couple different electronics stores, or stores with electronics sections and pick out the tv's you find have the best quality image and aesthetic for your home. Make a list of 4-5 paying attention to the make and specifically the model number, then go online and read the reviews and compare the features that you feel you will use the most, narrow the list down to 3 or so. Finally look for the best prices and deals for those tvs and make your decision. There are lots of trade offs between manufacturers and model lines and everyone's specific setups dictate what features they need. Do you need a lot of inputs or do you mainly use just a cable box? Have you cut the cord and only stream content? Do you have a sound system that it will interface with or are you using built in speakers? Is it in a bright room where you need a lot of light output to compete with the natural light or is it in your man cave but you need a high refresh rate for gaming? Are you tech savvy and love digging into all the features or does it need to be idiot proof and have everything at the push of a button on the remote? Ask yourself all these questions and keep them in mind when looking at the different TV's. Ask lots of questions of the sales people and don't pull the trigger on anything until you have a chance to look up reviews online and compare prices.
Great advice thanks a lot folks.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm

Just buy the largest Samsung TV you can afford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 22nd, 2019, 8:09 pm

Get one of those new fangled flat ones.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
sam tingey

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 23rd, 2019, 6:50 am

I've liked my Vizios. I think Samsung has the best picture tho. Lg's pretty good too. Thing is, once the TV is in your house, nobody can tell if the picture is better or worse because it's the only TV.

You can go to Best Buy, but you'll save a lot of money getting the TV at Sam's or Costco.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
TheAKAggie

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 23rd, 2019, 7:36 am

I just saw this article this morning. Looks like the TCL (usu99's suggested brand) 65 inch 4K tv is on sale at WalMart this week. Not sure if that qualifies as a Logan company, though :noidea: .
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tcl-4k- ... 21485.html

We bought a Sony 3D about 8 years ago, and it's been a great tv, even if we never watched anything in the 3D feature

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 23rd, 2019, 8:37 am

I have a bunch of TV's for work and the difference between the name brands and the cheaper brands is getting smaller every year. I have 2 LG's which are definitely my favorite but I also have a Vizio and a TCL that are great TV's and cost just a fraction of the price. One thing to remember is that the content that they are showing on the TV's in the store is a much higher quality then you will ever be streaming or getting from Cable/Satellite. It will be a lot of years before we are able to watch sports in 8K (or even 4K really) so paying a lot of money for a picture that is just slightly better isn't really worth it because it probably won't make a difference in your home.

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » August 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

I just got a 55” TCL from Best Buy a few weeks ago, and have LOVED it! Haven’t noticed any issues at all! And the price was great compared to the bigger name brands.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

AgMac

Post by AgMac » August 23rd, 2019, 9:09 am

I know there isn't a Costco in Logan, but that's were I would purchase a new TV. Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty, giving you 2 years instead of 1. The last TV I purchase was from Costco. It got fried when lightning struck close to our house. We were still within the 2 year warranty and someone came out and replaced the main electrical board.

Aggie_CEE

Post by Aggie_CEE » August 23rd, 2019, 10:59 am

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 23rd, 2019, 11:49 am

I can't believe how cheap TV's are - I think I bought my current 40" for $300 plus. My wife and I plan on moving and we're looking to get a place with a large outdoor patio we can set up a nice big screen under and hang out outside. Considering we don't have "winter" to speak of where we live, might as well.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 23rd, 2019, 12:01 pm

We have a projector in our home theater and it's amazing. If you have the space, it's an incredible value.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
ViAggie

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » August 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Get a sound bar too. You can thank me later. Seriously.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post:
ProvoAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic