Away Game Hotels

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
taniataylor

Away Game Hotels

Post by taniataylor » August 20th, 2019, 11:10 am

Hi Guys!

For anyone going to away games, the teams are staying at the following hotels

Wake Forest
Marriott Greensboro Airport

San Diego State
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

LSU
Baton Rouge Marriott

Air Force
DoubleTree Colorado Springs

Fresno State
Wyndham Garden Fresno Yosemite Airport

New Mexico
Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
usufan1aggies22Machismo

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

ViAggie

Re: Away Game Hotels

Post by ViAggie » August 20th, 2019, 11:23 am

Thanks for posting.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » August 20th, 2019, 11:28 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 11:23 am
Thanks for posting.
Welcome

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » August 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Out of curiosity, are visiting team hotels determined by the host school or the visiting school or just best rate available in each city?

If by the visiting school, I'm surprised they don't choose just one specific parent company (Hilton, Marriott, Wyndham, IHG, etc...) and negotiate a set discount off. Though hotels being franchises might make that difficult.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Out of curiosity, are visiting team hotels determined by the host school or the visiting school or just best rate available in each city?

If by the visiting school, I'm surprised they don't choose just one specific parent company (Hilton, Marriott, Wyndham, IHG, etc...) and negotiate a set discount off. Though hotels being franchises might make that difficult.
I don't know exactly how it works but the home team typically has something to do with it. My wife works at the Provo Marriott and they house all of BYU's Football and Basketball opponents.

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » August 20th, 2019, 1:49 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:

I don't know exactly how it works but the home team typically has something to do with it. My wife works at the Provo Marriott and they house all of BYU's Football and Basketball opponents.
Ah cool, that makes sense, then the host school can just reserve a set block for their full schedule's early on, rather than the visiting schools having to deal with hotels all across the country. If I remember right, typically opponents stay at the Springhill Suites in Logan, but I wasn't sure if that was set in contract with USU or just because it's generally the nicest hotel in the valley.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 20th, 2019, 2:28 pm

I booked two hotels many months ago in Winston-Salem: the Club Kimpton Cardinal and the Embassy Suites -- both in downtown Winston-Salem. Decided to cancel the more expensive of the two and stay at the Embassy Suites. Staying in a hotel at an airport 30 miles away from Winston-Salem doesn't seem particularly appealing. Anyone else staying in Winston-Salem?

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 20th, 2019, 2:30 pm

For LSU, I booked a room at the Watermark a couple months ago. The Marriott Baton Rouge is fully booked now.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 20th, 2019, 2:37 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 1:49 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 1:45 pm
dhilk3785 wrote:

Ah cool, that makes sense, then the host school can just reserve a set block for their full schedule's early on, rather than the visiting schools having to deal with hotels all across the country. If I remember right, typically opponents stay at the Springhill Suites in Logan, but I wasn't sure if that was set in contract with USU or just because it's generally the nicest hotel in the valley.
Visiting Teams stay at Springhill because it's the only place in the Valley that can accomodate an entire Football Team from breakfast lunch and dinner plus rooms for meetings and physical therapy. My kids worked there years ago, helped feed many a Football and Basketball Teams. Now that the Airport is able to handle large Aircraft plus the addition The Springhill Suites makes USU in my opinion one of the better trips for an opponent in the MWC as far as access.
Last edited by Machismo on August 20th, 2019, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 20th, 2019, 2:39 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 2:28 pm
I booked two hotels many months ago in Winston-Salem: the Club Kimpton Cardinal and the Embassy Suites -- both in downtown Winston-Salem. Decided to cancel the more expensive of the two and stay at the Embassy Suites. Staying in a hotel at an airport 30 miles away from Winston-Salem doesn't seem particularly appealing. Anyone else staying in Winston-Salem?
We're staying at the SpringHill Suites in Winston Salem as of right now. It's about 8 miles from the stadium I think.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 20th, 2019, 3:50 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
Sorry brother, we are staying in Charlotte on Thursday night, driving out to WS on Friday, then hauling back to Charlotte to make flights home on Saturday morning. Winston-Salem is a little inconvenient in this way, it seems.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » August 20th, 2019, 3:58 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
We're staying at the SpringHill Suites in Winston Salem as of right now. It's about 8 miles from the stadium I think.
I'm staying at the Courtyard in Winston-Salem next Friday.

I received an email from USU that this is where the alumni association had some rooms blocked out for a group rate.

Are many of you going to the USU tailgate?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 20th, 2019, 4:31 pm

I'll be at the tailgate. There is usually a pretty good turnout there and it's right outside the stadium so it's easy to get to.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 20th, 2019, 5:26 pm

I’ll be at Spring Hill Marriott Hanes Mall for Wake on Thursday and Friday night and @ the Tailgate... is there a deadline for tailgate tickets? I saw it on Facebook awhile ago but can’t find it anymore.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » August 20th, 2019, 6:06 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I’ll be at Spring Hill Marriott Hanes Mall for Wake on Thursday and Friday night and @ the Tailgate... is there a deadline for tailgate tickets? I saw it on Facebook awhile ago but can’t find it anymore.
Looks like you can still register for the tailgate here:

https://www.usu.edu/alumni/events/wakeforest

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » August 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm

What games are you planning to attend in person, Tania?

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 20th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:I’ll be at Spring Hill Marriott Hanes Mall for Wake on Thursday and Friday night and @ the Tailgate... is there a deadline for tailgate tickets? I saw it on Facebook awhile ago but can’t find it anymore.
That's the same hotel that we have.

EDIT: We may switch to the Courtyard by the stadium. I've booked both now.

aggiegrey

Post by aggiegrey » August 20th, 2019, 7:33 pm

dhilk3785 wrote:

If you look at the hotels they are staying at only 2 of them aren't part of the Marriott BONVOY program. Marriott and Sheraton merged a few years back. Let's just say there isn't a great Marriott for a whole football team in either Fresno or Colorado Springs. I don't know if its a good thing I know this.... I think I spend to much time on the road in hotel rooms!!! :noidea:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 20th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Anyone know about Parking. I want to know a good spot to be blasting the Scotsman as I pay my $15 or whatever to park.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 21st, 2019, 12:33 pm

usufan1 wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 3:58 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
I'm staying at the Courtyard in Winston-Salem next Friday.

I received an email from USU that this is where the alumni association had some rooms blocked out for a group rate.

Are many of you going to the USU tailgate?

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 6:35 pm
That's the same hotel that we have.

EDIT: We may switch to the Courtyard by the stadium. I've booked both now.
Just changed my reservation to the Courtyard. That is actually quite close to the stadium. The alumni block was gone, but the available regular rate was even lower than the group rate the alumni association had -- plus I got a further discount with AAA.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 21st, 2019, 1:51 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 12:33 pm
Just changed my reservation to the Courtyard. That is actually quite close to the stadium. The alumni block was gone, but the available regular rate was even lower than the group rate the alumni association had -- plus I got a further discount with AAA.
The location with the stadium is what sold me. It's a late night game and it will be nice to not have to worry about parking and we can just walk back to the hotel after the game is over.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
August 20th, 2019, 2:30 pm
For LSU, I booked a room at the Watermark a couple months ago. The Marriott Baton Rouge is fully booked now.
After considering the Marriot, my wife ended up booking an Airbnb which is 4 blocks from campus.

anyone know if there's going to be an alumni tailgate at LSU?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 21st, 2019, 3:08 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm
There is. You can register for it here:
https://www.usu.edu/alumni/events/awaypregames
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 1:51 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 12:33 pm
The location with the stadium is what sold me. It's a late night game and it will be nice to not have to worry about parking and we can just walk back to the hotel after the game is over.
Agreed. Plus, if I get really drunk, I can rely on you and 'Sap to make sure I get back to the hotel okay.

:cheers:
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieaggies22

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 22nd, 2019, 8:27 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 3:08 pm
AGinNEIowa wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm
There is. You can register for it here:
https://www.usu.edu/alumni/events/awaypregames
awesome, when I looked before we were out of town the last week, that wasn't up yet.

thank you!

Locked Previous topicNext topic