State of the Aggies

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse
Posts: 2882
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

State of the Aggies

Post by bluegrouse » August 17th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Was at the event today. Two words:

Craig Smith!



bpd
Posts: 926
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 41 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bpd » August 17th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Expand

What did he say, how is Queta, scheduled, etc??



User avatar
bigblue
2012 Gridiron KickOff Pick'em Champion & 2016 Bowl Pick'em Champion
Posts: 2069
Joined: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 pm
Location: The suburbs of Lewiston
Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bigblue » August 17th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Don't they usually post a video of it at some point?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk



Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5637
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 200 times
Contact:

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by TheAKAggie » August 17th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Anyone take a pointed dig at ByU?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hail Aggies!

bluegrouse
Posts: 2882
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bluegrouse » August 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Said Queta is up in the air. Everything is in play. Possible he won’t play this year. Won’t know for a couple more weeks.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2882
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bluegrouse » August 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Anyone take a pointed dig at ByU?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Somebody might have 😂😂😂



bluegrouse
Posts: 2882
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bluegrouse » August 17th, 2019, 4:39 pm

As has been reported, he said Queta’s injury is not ACL, MCL or meniscus but he didn’t (wouldn’t) elaborate more. I was a little surprised to hear that it is possible he may not play this year.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2882
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bluegrouse » August 17th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Still working to fill two games on the schedule. Nobody wants to play us. They’ve called every school. Hoping for at least one home game out of those two. We have signed at contract for our exhibition game which will be on Oct. 30. Couldn’t say who yet.



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2349
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 279 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by ineptimusprime » August 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Said Queta is up in the air. Everything is in play. Possible he won’t play this year. Won’t know for a couple more weeks.
:shock:

Why was he playing in the dumb FIBA competition anyway?
These users liked this post from ineptimusprime:
aggies22



AggieVoice
Posts: 851
Joined: July 9th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by AggieVoice » August 18th, 2019, 8:03 am

It was a football day and this event was all about Craig. He lights up a room more than anyone I’ve ever met. So engaging, entertaining, and downright hilarious.



utaggies
Posts: 3213
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 70 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by utaggies » August 18th, 2019, 9:14 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Said Queta is up in the air. Everything is in play. Possible he won’t play this year. Won’t know for a couple more weeks.
:shock:

Why was he playing in the dumb FIBA competition anyway?
Why do you call the FIBA dumb? Queta was playing in the competition representing his country. Just as Mitchell is trying to land a spot on the national team to represent his country in the FIBA World Cup. Queta could just have well injured his leg in an Aggie practice or in the first game of the season. Stuff happens — just ask Gordon Hayward.
These users liked this post from utaggies:
oleblu111



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7439
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1937 times
Been liked: 1038 times
Contact:

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by aggies22 » August 18th, 2019, 9:14 am

bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Still working to fill two games on the schedule. Nobody wants to play us. They’ve called every school. Hoping for at least one home game out of those two. We have signed at contract for our exhibition game which will be on Oct. 30. Couldn’t say who yet.
I seem to remember somebody saying that in the scheduling thread. :)



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7439
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1937 times
Been liked: 1038 times
Contact:

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by aggies22 » August 18th, 2019, 9:15 am

utaggies wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:14 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Said Queta is up in the air. Everything is in play. Possible he won’t play this year. Won’t know for a couple more weeks.
:shock:

Why was he playing in the dumb FIBA competition anyway?
Why do you call the FIBA dumb? Queta was playing in the competition representing his country. Just as Mitchell is trying to land a spot on the national team to represent his country in the FIBA World Cup. Queta could just have well injured his leg in an Aggie practice or in the first game of the season. Stuff happens — just ask Gordon Hayward.
Gordon Hayward leaving is the best thing that ever happened to the Jazz.



slcagg
Posts: 3248
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by slcagg » August 18th, 2019, 10:14 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:15 am
utaggies wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:14 am
ineptimusprime wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 5:09 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:37 pm
Said Queta is up in the air. Everything is in play. Possible he won’t play this year. Won’t know for a couple more weeks.
:shock:

Why was he playing in the dumb FIBA competition anyway?
Why do you call the FIBA dumb? Queta was playing in the competition representing his country. Just as Mitchell is trying to land a spot on the national team to represent his country in the FIBA World Cup. Queta could just have well injured his leg in an Aggie practice or in the first game of the season. Stuff happens — just ask Gordon Hayward.
Gordon Hayward leaving is the best thing that ever happened to the Jazz.
That contract for him was way too much. Bogdonavich is somewhat similar to him and recently better and we got him for about half the cost.



Aggie84025
Posts: 952
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 179 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Aggie84025 » August 18th, 2019, 10:35 am

The football season hasn't even started and I am super stoked with that for that is my favorite sport. That being said I am super excited about the upcoming basketball season, it is wonderful what a good coach can do. I have really high hopes for this team even if Queta doesn't play for a little while I still think the team will do well.



bluegrouse
Posts: 2882
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 5:04 pm
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 269 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bluegrouse » August 18th, 2019, 5:33 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:14 am
bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Still working to fill two games on the schedule. Nobody wants to play us. They’ve called every school. Hoping for at least one home game out of those two. We have signed at contract for our exhibition game which will be on Oct. 30. Couldn’t say who yet.
I seem to remember somebody saying that in the scheduling thread. :)
Yep but somebody asked what Smith said about scheduling so I just repeated it.



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7439
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1937 times
Been liked: 1038 times
Contact:

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by aggies22 » August 18th, 2019, 6:19 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 5:33 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:14 am
bluegrouse wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 4:43 pm
Still working to fill two games on the schedule. Nobody wants to play us. They’ve called every school. Hoping for at least one home game out of those two. We have signed at contract for our exhibition game which will be on Oct. 30. Couldn’t say who yet.
I seem to remember somebody saying that in the scheduling thread. :)
Yep but somebody asked what Smith said about scheduling so I just repeated it.
I'm just teasing my Aggie brother!!



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 230
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm

As long as Smith is in charge the Aggies will be in great shape! I hope he's in charge for a while.



oleblu111
Posts: 1205
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 130 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by oleblu111 » August 21st, 2019, 11:50 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm
.
As long as Smith is in charge the Aggies will be in great shape! I hope he's in charge for a while.
He did not get a contract extension, however he did get some charter flights this season which were very important to him.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4857
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 286 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 21st, 2019, 12:08 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:50 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm
.
As long as Smith is in charge the Aggies will be in great shape! I hope he's in charge for a while.
He did not get a contract extension, however he did get some charter flights this season which were very important to him.
No contract extension happened because he knows he's gone after this season. He didn't want to make a buyout for difficult for his new team.



oleblu111
Posts: 1205
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 130 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by oleblu111 » August 21st, 2019, 12:22 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 12:08 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 11:50 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm
.
As long as Smith is in charge the Aggies will be in great shape! I hope he's in charge for a while.
He did not get a contract extension, however he did get some charter flights this season which were very important to him.
No contract extension happened because he knows he's gone after this season. He didn't want to make a buyout for difficult for his new team.
I made that point about a new extension, and raise some time ago, when many where blaming USU for not extending.



Bank Shot
Posts: 158
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Bank Shot » August 21st, 2019, 1:00 pm

When you compare what an extension would do for a buyout, with what a P5 school has in it's coffers, I really don't think it has much weight.



bpd
Posts: 926
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 41 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by bpd » August 21st, 2019, 1:19 pm

JH was asked about an extension at the Denver Road Trip. He said they had agreed to it in principal, but lawyers were working out the details. That said, I thought JH was a little uneasy about talking about it. Anybody else who was there can chime in.


UCLA found out last season that buyouts can be a pain in the a**. Just ask Jamie Dixon.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4857
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 286 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 21st, 2019, 1:39 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 1:00 pm
When you compare what an extension would do for a buyout, with what a P5 school has in it's coffers, I really don't think it has much weight.
To add on to what BPD just said, have you not heard about Jamie Dixon & UCLA? UCLA was going to hire him as their coach this past offseason, but after learning how high is buyout was they decided not to and went in a different direction.



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13212
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 280 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by brownjeans » August 21st, 2019, 1:54 pm

I'm in favor of a 5-year, $5mil, fully guaranteed contract with a dollar-for-dollar payout if/when Smith leaves. This gives Smith security, makes it more painful for someone to take him early in that contract. Then we can add time and money with extensions.
It opens USU up to risk if Smith starts mailing it in or does something terrible, but I think that's unlikely.



Bank Shot
Posts: 158
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Bank Shot » August 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm

Dixon's buyout was $8,000,000. Is USU in a position to offer a contract with that kind of buyout?



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7439
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1937 times
Been liked: 1038 times
Contact:

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 2:25 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
Dixon's buyout was $8,000,000. Is USU in a position to offer a contract with that kind of buyout?
I don't know this kind of stuff at all but can't a school make a buyout any number they want? If the coach agrees to a ridiculous amount of money as his buyout, that's on him.



Bank Shot
Posts: 158
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Bank Shot » August 21st, 2019, 2:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:25 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
Dixon's buyout was $8,000,000. Is USU in a position to offer a contract with that kind of buyout?
I don't know this kind of stuff at all but can't a school make a buyout any number they want? If the coach agrees to a ridiculous amount of money as his buyout, that's on him.
Yes...that would be on him. But the point is that no sane coach with a bright future is gonna handcuff himself with a huge buyout when he's getting paid the kind of money USU can pay.
These users liked this post from Bank Shot:
oleblu111



aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7439
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1937 times
Been liked: 1038 times
Contact:

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:25 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
Dixon's buyout was $8,000,000. Is USU in a position to offer a contract with that kind of buyout?
I don't know this kind of stuff at all but can't a school make a buyout any number they want? If the coach agrees to a ridiculous amount of money as his buyout, that's on him.
Yes...that would be on him. But the point is that no sane coach with a bright future is gonna handcuff himself with a huge buyout when he's getting paid the kind of money USU can pay.
I agree with you my Aggie Brother. In your original post, you stated that Utah State was in no position to offer that and I just wondered if there was something going on that I either didn't know or don't understand.



Bank Shot
Posts: 158
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 40 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Bank Shot » August 21st, 2019, 2:50 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:42 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:25 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
Dixon's buyout was $8,000,000. Is USU in a position to offer a contract with that kind of buyout?
I don't know this kind of stuff at all but can't a school make a buyout any number they want? If the coach agrees to a ridiculous amount of money as his buyout, that's on him.
Yes...that would be on him. But the point is that no sane coach with a bright future is gonna handcuff himself with a huge buyout when he's getting paid the kind of money USU can pay.
I agree with you my Aggie Brother. In your original post, you stated that Utah State was in no position to offer that and I just wondered if there was something going on that I either didn't know or don't understand.
No..I am in no position to know any of the inner workings. But, no worries...I'm often misunderstood. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!



Full
Posts: 1713
Joined: April 27th, 2011, 11:07 am
Location: Davis County
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: State of the Aggies

Post by Full » August 21st, 2019, 2:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 2:00 pm
Dixon's buyout was $8,000,000. Is USU in a position to offer a contract with that kind of buyout?
I don't know this kind of stuff at all but can't a school make a buyout any number they want? If the coach agrees to a ridiculous amount of money as his buyout, that's on him.
Not a lawyer, but usually the buyout is treated as liquidated damages. So you could not have the amount higher than the actual salary.
These users liked this post from Full:
aggies22



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic