TCU to the Big East

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Jayzep

TCU to the Big East

Post by Jayzep » November 3rd, 2010, 1:38 pm

Is this good news for us or bad news for us ????????

Jayzep

Re: TCU to the Big East

Post by Jayzep » November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 pm

yeppie, I got the first expanion post on the new site. evil hehehehehehehe

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » November 3rd, 2010, 1:49 pm

It's not like we're looking at a shiny conference future right now. I'll take the instability that comes with realignment at this point.

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » November 3rd, 2010, 1:53 pm

Is this official? Is there a link for this?

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 2:16 pm

inconspicuous wrote:Is this official? Is there a link for this?
Not that I've seen. I think this is still all speculation, isn't it? If it does happen, though, it seems that it wouldn't be entirely bad for the Aggies.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

NHAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 Bowls, '19 Kickoff

Post by NHAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 2:29 pm

The TCU AD posted in DFW paper that he hasn't received any invite from Big East Conference. I think TCU would be a great addition to BE and boost their standing as a AQ conference. What that means for USU? If and when?

Do or do not...There is no try (Yoda)

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 3rd, 2010, 2:45 pm

It could be the beginning of a great thing for USU. But I think the mwc would stand pat with 9 teams, we would need Air Force to go indy or New Mexic to join CUSA. At that point I would hope that USU along with Hawaii, Idaho, and San Jose would get the knod.

PVAggie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PVAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 4:14 pm

I am a shallow person, but I can't help getting a bit of joy knowing that Boise has to be thinking just what the hell they have done. They will no longer have the opportunity of being ESPN's darling, and if this post is correct will be in a conference without UTAH, BYU and TCU. You have to wonder if they think it is all worth it.

TrueAggie

When it happens, bully for us!

Post by TrueAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 5:04 pm

imanaggie wrote:It's not like we're looking at a shiny conference future right now. I'll take the instability that comes with realignment at this point.
When this all comes down, USU will be fine. In fact, I think this actually improves our chances of getting into the Mountain West, in when it all finally comes down. Do you actually think that the Mountain West Conference, with a new TV contract in the offing, is going to want to leave the 31st largest market in the country (and the 2nd largest after San Diego) bare? We may not have the market penetration that BYU and Utah do, but we do have penetration, and with a little winning in football that will only increase.

Lets have some faith, brethren.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 6:36 pm

I just have to disagree with you TA about the value of USU to the Mountain West as far as TV goes. The potential MAY be there if USU football gets better in the next few years, but who are casual fans going to flock to? A 7-5 USU team or a Pac-12 contending Utah team?

I'm just afraid our ole' alma mater is in a very bad position on this matter.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » November 3rd, 2010, 6:42 pm

I may be missing something, but how can this really hurt USU? The only way I can see is Hawaii (or SJSU) getting invited by the MWC to replace TCU. But there's a good chance Hawaii goes indy in football anyway and SJSU doesn't seem like much of a candidate, so I really think TCU going Big East could only help USU.

The hope is that TCU goes Big East, Air Force goes indy and the C-USA grabs UNM to replace a theoretically also-poached-by-the-Big East Houston or Central Florida. With that many openings in the MWC, USU would have to get an invite or the WAC and MWC would merge (the latter being unlikely if UTSA and TXST are in the league).

It's a tough spot for USU to be sure, with a lot of things needing to go the Aggies' way for things to turn out right. The permanent upside of all this is that the conference realignment stuff appears to be an annual right at this point. String together a few good years even in a UTSA/TXST WAC and USU could be in a great position.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 3rd, 2010, 7:08 pm

Hawaii isn't a candidate for the MWC either. Boise, Fresno, and Nevada all cited that as a reason to get out of the WAC...that is nearly half of the new conference. I don't see the remainder of the MWC wanting to add on the travel costs either.

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 pm

I think TCU will be headed to the Big East, don't know if that means a WAC/MWC but it has to help.

wyoag66

Post by wyoag66 » November 4th, 2010, 7:30 am

TCU to Big East like USU to MWC. Right!

Bigagg

Post by Bigagg » November 4th, 2010, 7:41 am

TCU will go to the Big East. MWC will go to 12 teams to increase revenue and obtain a conference championship game. USU and Houston will be invited to the MWC along with ?????. Anyway this is my prediction.

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » November 4th, 2010, 9:59 am

I find it interesting that so many posters here always make fun of the MWC for their Mountain contract, yet also want an invite to their conference...

Why is this? I understand that the MWC may be a 'little' more prestigious and definitly more stable, but is it worth the Mountain? What are the chances of the Mountain deal falling through?

Seems to me like we would rather snatch teams into the WAC who are looking for a better TV deal. Espcecially now that the U, BYU, and 'if' TCU leaves. Is this not a possibility?

SoCalAggie

Post by SoCalAggie » November 4th, 2010, 10:23 am

Here's the deal with TCU folks:

1. The AD is technically correct, they have not been invited, just like WE were not invited (wink wink) to the MWC.
2. The truth is that TCU was approached by the FB playing schools within the Big East and asked what they thought of moving "on up" to the east side. Obviously TCU looked around the MWC sans Utah and BYU (cum Nevada and Fresno) and said "uhh shyaaah".
3. BE FB schools approached the conference and said we want TCU.
4. TCU has been told that if they want in, they've got it, just be patient.

Why this is good for us? Well it may or may not be. The fact is that TCU is resistant to any further expansion of the MWC, and for obvious reasons. With TCU gone the MWC could stay at 9, where they were at the beginning of the summer, and call it good. BUT I bet money and TV contracts do the talking here, that and self preservation, and I think the MWC goes to 12. My guess is that they will take two schools from the WAC. No need to speculate about us IMHO, the other school though should be Hawaii IMHO. The other school will be from CUSA. Speculate away there, I think the obvious choice is probably Houston, although UTEP would also make sense since they were a part of the old WAC (although Houston was a part of the old WAC too… just that it was the WAC 16). I think Houston makes sense because of the market size, that and they seem to do well in sports. UTEP? Ehhh, not so consistent.

So… I don’t know, but I have to think that TCU is gone, and it does break up the log jam. If my scenario works out, the WAC survives by adding the Texas Schools, Seattle U and Denver U, with perhaps Montana at some point. If Montana thinks they are getting a MWC invite, they are on drugs IMHO.

Drifting through a world that's torn and tattered, every thought I have don't mean a thing...

USUGrad01

Post by USUGrad01 » November 4th, 2010, 10:36 am

Lightbringer wrote:I find it interesting that so many posters here always make fun of the MWC for their Mountain contract, yet also want an invite to their conference...

Why is this? I understand that the MWC may be a 'little' more prestigious and definitly more stable, but is it worth the Mountain? What are the chances of the Mountain deal falling through?

Seems to me like we would rather snatch teams into the WAC who are looking for a better TV deal. Espcecially now that the U, BYU, and 'if' TCU leaves. Is this not a possibility?

I 100% agree. Why would we want to go to the MWC without BYU/Utah/TCu? I think people aren't understanding that the money the MWC has promised to distribute is based on money earned by the MTN. Without the BYU/Utah/TCU markets, how much revenue will the MTN be able raise through advertisement dollars? Boise, Fresno and Reno are not replacing Utah and Dallas as TV markets. The truth is folks, that the MWC is probably in worse shape at this time than the WAC from a financial standpoint. The WAC's ESPN deal isn't great but it is better than the legal battles that will likely ensue between the MWC and the MTN.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 4th, 2010, 10:43 am

I would want to go the the MWC because of Wyoming and Colorado St. We have a lot of history with them and I really think we should be in the same conference. I would also want to go because of UNLV, SDSU, New Mexico and Nevada in basketball. I have not and will not participate in the ridiculing of Boise, et al for their choice to move to the MWC and their assumed reduction in coverage, because I would consider that a satisfactory price for being in the same conference with these schools.

NHAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 Bowls, '19 Kickoff

Post by NHAggie » November 4th, 2010, 10:47 am

I'd accept an invite to MWC over staying in the new WAC. Texas schools help out NMSU not USU. Even if Montana & Montana State join the WAC, I'd prefer SDSU, UNLV, FSU, UN-R, BSU, CSU, UW, AFA, UNM and whomever else joins with USU ( IF & WHEN)

The TV contract may not be as good but the non Fb sports travel costs may go down with slightly less travel (moot if Hawai'i joins MWC with USU- IF & WHEN)

just my opinion.

NHAggie

Do or do not...There is no try (Yoda)

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » November 4th, 2010, 10:53 am

The Big 12 ( now 10 teams) and the Big East (would be 10 teams) are filing a motion with the NCAA to lower the Championship game requirerments from 12 down to 10. If they are sucessfull there is no reason for the MWC to stay at 9 teams.

ustate98

Post by ustate98 » November 4th, 2010, 11:00 am

Yeah their current tv deal may not be the best but the teams are more stable. Had Nevada/Fresno not switched I'd prefer to stay in the WAC but with the only way to hold on being to recruit FCS teams I'd rather join the MWC if offered.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 4th, 2010, 11:17 am

What would Air Force's response to all of this be? If TCU leaves would they want to go indy? Personally I hope that Idaho is not left out to die alone.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » November 4th, 2010, 11:22 am

SoCalAggie wrote:Here's the deal with TCU folks:

1. The AD is technically correct, they have not been invited, just like WE were not invited (wink wink) to the MWC.
2. The truth is that TCU was approached by the FB playing schools within the Big East and asked what they thought of moving "on up" to the east side. Obviously TCU looked around the MWC sans Utah and BYU (cum Nevada and Fresno) and said "uhh shyaaah".

Why this is good for us? Well it may or may not be. The fact is that TCU is resistant to any further expansion of the MWC, and for obvious reasons. With TCU gone the MWC could stay at 9, where they were at the beginning of the summer, and call it good. BUT I bet money and TV contracts do the talking here, that and self preservation, and I think the MWC goes to 12. My guess is that they will take two schools from the WAC. No need to speculate about us IMHO, the other school though should be Hawaii IMHO. The other school will be from CUSA. Speculate away there, I think the obvious choice is probably Houston, although UTEP would also make sense since they were a part of the old WAC (although Houston was a part of the old WAC too… just that it was the WAC 16). I think Houston makes sense because of the market size, that and they seem to do well in sports. UTEP? Ehhh, not so consistent.

So… I don’t know, but I have to think that TCU is gone, and it does break up the log jam. If my scenario works out, the WAC survives by adding the Texas Schools, Seattle U and Denver U, with perhaps Montana at some point. If Montana thinks they are getting a MWC invite, they are on drugs IMHO.
Houston was never part of the WAC 16. Rice, SMU, TCU and UTEP were, but never UH.

Nobody here knows anything.

usu99

Post by usu99 » November 4th, 2010, 11:45 am

The ESPN article stated TCU was approached as a football ONLY member not all sports. IF that is the case why would they take it?

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

ustate98

Post by ustate98 » November 4th, 2010, 11:55 am

usu99 wrote:The ESPN article stated TCU was approached as a football ONLY member not all sports. IF that is the case why would they take it?
By taking even a football only spot they are assured of BCS money every year if they play in the bowl or not instead of hoping to get BCS money. Also if the football playing teams ever split for the non-football teams they'd be ready. I don't think the Big East will ever have their AQ status taken away, the other BCS conferences don't want to possibly hit a slump sometime in the future and be told that BE lost their auto status, now so do you.

Jayzep

Post by Jayzep » November 4th, 2010, 12:22 pm

I'll bet the WAC would love to have TCU other sports...

SoCalAggie

Post by SoCalAggie » November 4th, 2010, 12:24 pm

OKAggie wrote:
SoCalAggie wrote:Here's the deal with TCU folks:

Houston was never part of the WAC 16. Rice, SMU, TCU and UTEP were, but never UH.
I keep forgetting... my bad

Drifting through a world that's torn and tattered, every thought I have don't mean a thing...

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 4th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Yeah. That's all we need. Another Texas school. :roll:

SoCalAggie

Post by SoCalAggie » November 4th, 2010, 12:28 pm

I have to think that TCU is going to reconsider if it's a FB only invite. This may be the wrinkle we were hoping to avoid in order to get the log jam moving again.

TCU should tell the big East to stuff it, all or nothing. They really want TCU bad for multiple reasons, I expect they might probably bite.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 4th, 2010, 12:30 pm

Jayzep wrote:I'll bet the WAC would love to have TCU other sports...
Why? Their other sport don't add anything. Sure their baseball team is good but their basketball team isn't. They don't have anything to offer at all.

Jayzep

Post by Jayzep » November 4th, 2010, 12:35 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
Jayzep wrote:I'll bet the WAC would love to have TCU other sports...
Why? Their other sport don't add anything. Sure their baseball team is good but their basketball team isn't. They don't have anything to offer at all.

I agree, just saying the WAC at this point is the ugly girl that is willing to go to the dance with anyone. Even if the arrangement is nothing but a joke.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 4th, 2010, 12:47 pm

I think we should explore what the BE's options really are . . . they've publically said they'd be adding 2, but one has to wonder what that really means.

Here are their FB-playing members:

Cinncinatti (OH)
Connecticut (CN)
Louisville (KY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
Rutgers (NJ)
South Florida (FL)
Syracuse (NY)
West Virginia (WV)

The probable candidates for FB expansion that have been mentioned in press and blog and which most impress me are Villanova (an internal hire), TCU (MWC), Houston (CUSA), SMU (CUSA), Central Florida (CUSA) and Memphis (CUSA).

Memphis makes a certain amount of sense: a bridge-the-gap school between TCU and Louisville/Cinncy that brings a decent enough TV market with them. Sure, most of the Oxygen in Tennessee gets sucked up by the Vols, but Memphis is a decent-sized city and a competetive program, top to bottom. I don't see why the BE needs another Texas team besides TCU, and I don't see why they need another Florida team besides Southern. Maybe somebody could enlighten me?

USU "No, we're not gay, but we're willing to learn" 78

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 4th, 2010, 1:14 pm

wacfan08 wrote:The Big 12 ( now 10 teams) and the Big East (would be 10 teams) are filing a motion with the NCAA to lower the Championship game requirerments from 12 down to 10. If they are sucessfull there is no reason for the MWC to stay at 9 teams.
IF the NCAA wouldn't do it for ACC and Big 10 (then 11, now 12), I highly doubt they'd do it for Big East and Big 12 (now 10)

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » November 4th, 2010, 1:27 pm

I think it was the WAC board where I read that you can't be a member of two separate FBS conferences. So TCU to the BE for football and WAC for other sports won't fly. The option that was presented was BE football, MVC for other sports where that conference isn't a part of the FBS.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Locked Previous topicNext topic