Hurd Premium

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ChicAggie

Re: Hurd Premium

Post by ChicAggie » August 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

TrueBlue wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 2:41 pm
I can't believe anyone is defending this. Everything else is fine, remove the early entry and it's sounds great.
I can't believe anyone has a different opinion than me! ;)

I agreed last year that it seemed elitist and annoying that the "HURD Premium" members had early access to games. But now that there is no cap on membership (and theoretically, new members could join throughout the year if they feel like they're missing the boat), I actually like it: you pay $25 for early access, and psychologically based on the "sunk cost" phenomenon, you're probably going to feel more compelled to go to games. Fans who care about getting in "early" can manage to scrape together $25 to join HURD Premium.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 8th, 2019, 10:10 am

I actually think that this should be expanded. Make it $100, give students unlimited access to certain concessions at games, keep the early access, add more swag, create a gameday giveway at each game (bobbleheads, keychains, whatever), create preferred partners in the valley with deeper discounts at their establishments.

I hope that it goes in this direction. Y'all act like the old ways of "just open the doors and let the kids run in" was somehow perfect (it wasn't), it somehow made better fans get better seats (it didn't), or it somehow made the school more money (it didn't).

This is clearly preferable to the old ways of the wild, wild west - unless you really hate USU.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
YoungBloodAggie

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 8th, 2019, 11:09 am

918AGG wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 10:10 am
This is clearly preferable to the old ways of the wild, wild west - unless you really hate USU.
:lol: :golfclap:

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 8th, 2019, 11:30 am

Can we change the name? "The Hurd" is a dumb name.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » August 8th, 2019, 12:06 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 11:30 am
Name me a student section with a better name. I mean, there might be some out there, but for the life of me I can't think of one that doesn't sound at least a little dumb.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 8th, 2019, 12:36 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
"The Rodeo" it is!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 12:06 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
Name me a student section with a better name. I mean, there might be some out there, but for the life of me I can't think of one that doesn't sound at least a little dumb.
The Cameron Crazies
The Show
The Zoo
Izzone
Screamin' Deacons
ZouCrew

All of the ones in Utah suck and are embarrassing.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 8th, 2019, 12:45 pm

I much prefer "The Bullpen". It was a name given to the area behind the basket when I was a student, but it could easily be given to the entire student section. Much better than the word "Herd" spelled incorrectly that is not even an acronym.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
oleblu111

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » August 8th, 2019, 12:48 pm

I've always appreciated "The Paint Crew" as the name of Purdue's student section...

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 8th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 12:48 pm
I've always appreciated "The Paint Crew" as the name of Purdue's student section...
Yep. Another good one.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » August 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 12:36 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
"The Rodeo" it is!
the FFA?
the barnyard?
truebloods?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 8th, 2019, 4:07 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
"The Rodeo" it is!
the FFA?
the barnyard?
truebloods?
The Barnyard is already taken by Minnesota.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 8th, 2019, 4:20 pm

treesap32 wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 12:44 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 12:06 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
The Cameron Crazies
The Show
The Zoo
Izzone
Screamin' Deacons
ZouCrew

All of the ones in Utah suck and are embarrassing.
Treesap beat me to it. The Bullpen would be so much better, plus it at least has some history with the university. Not only did the area behind the basket sport the name, but it was also the name of the pool hall on campus.

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » August 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm

I'm on board. Bullpen is a good one. It's not being used by USF, is it?

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 8th, 2019, 4:35 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Oddly enough, it looks like USF changed their student section name to "the Herd" in 2015. One more reason for us to drop the poorly spelled "Hurd" name.

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2015/8/19/210277791.aspx

BigBlueDart

Post by BigBlueDart » August 8th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I really don't mind the 'misspelling' of the HURD, as that U is very clearly meant to refer to USU. It may not be the best name for the student section, but I also don't see it getting changed very easily any time soon. It's got to much traction already to just change it.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
thegreendalegelf

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 8th, 2019, 6:13 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:00 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
"The Rodeo" it is!
the FFA?
the barnyard?
truebloods?
not with the likes of your mudblood self cheering for the aggies

KunaAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by KunaAggie » August 8th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Reed Ericson and I am the director of Hurd Premium for this school year. Hurd Committee leadership created a Hurd Premium sub-committee this year so that we can have a group of students working specifically with the program. With that said, I want to clear up a few things that have been discussed in this thread.
1. We heard and saw a lot of the complaints about early entry last year. We discussed this issue AT LENGTH. We talked about all of the issues and benefits and there were disagreements among us and our differing view points. However, conclusions were made that the 15 minute early entry would be included again. We decided that having no cap on membership numbers and leaving it open all year would alleviate most of the issue, as well as advertising blacked out games before registration opens. Student leadership and advisers are committed to trying it again and working to improve it, so please be patient while we do so.
2. All of the money that we profit from this program goes straight back into students' experiences. The money we received last year went towards the food giveaways, big face cutouts (ginormous Queta included), t-shirts, etc. We have found that giveaways and swag is the biggest draw to get students out to games and Hurd Premium allows us to do more and more of those. NONE OF THE MONEY WE RECEIVE GOES TO HURD COMMITTEE PARTIES! Our leadership and advisers do a very good job of making sure our money is used as it should be and you can have full trust that all money is going back into the students' experience.
3. We are just getting started with gaining sponsorships from local companies. I have been working with employees in the athletic department on reaching out to current sponsors of USU athletics to really bring in a lot of local deals and discounts. We currently already have a handful and that number should multiply greatly in the coming weeks.
4. Also, we are working to make sure that special events like meet & greets with different athletics teams happen. These are difficult to make happen because of the different channels that need to be gone through but we are committed to providing students opportunities to interact with their favorite USU athletes and coaches.
5. The concessions deal will be for either a free hot dog or popcorn, I believe. I may be mistaken on that detail, but I know that it won't be a free for all on concessions for Premium members. We have to pay for all the items given to Premium members at the end of the year and we would never be able to afford allowing members to have whatever.

Please know that Hurd Premium isn't some sort of scam. I have been working my tail off this summer to make sure that it will be something that will enhance member's experience and be something people want to take part it. $25 is honestly a steal for everything that we are working on putting into the program. Also, we understand that it is not perfect. We are doing a lot to improve on things we got negative feedback on last year, and there will be things that we need to improve on again next year! Sorry for the long post, but hopefully that clears some things up!
These users thanked the author KunaAggie for the post (total 7):
sneedAggie19thegreendalegelfChicAggietreesap32918AGGutahcountyaggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 8th, 2019, 11:22 pm

Seems like a scam to me. Kids gonna be hawking Thrive or Melaluca in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
trevordude

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 8th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
AggieUprising50

Hail Aggies!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » August 9th, 2019, 9:19 am

KunaAggie wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 6:48 pm
Hi everyone, my name is Reed Ericson and I am the director of Hurd Premium for this school year. Hurd Committee leadership created a Hurd Premium sub-committee this year so that we can have a group of students working specifically with the program. With that said, I want to clear up a few things that have been discussed in this thread.
1. We heard and saw a lot of the complaints about early entry last year. We discussed this issue AT LENGTH. We talked about all of the issues and benefits and there were disagreements among us and our differing view points. However, conclusions were made that the 15 minute early entry would be included again. We decided that having no cap on membership numbers and leaving it open all year would alleviate most of the issue, as well as advertising blacked out games before registration opens. Student leadership and advisers are committed to trying it again and working to improve it, so please be patient while we do so.
2. All of the money that we profit from this program goes straight back into students' experiences. The money we received last year went towards the food giveaways, big face cutouts (ginormous Queta included), t-shirts, etc. We have found that giveaways and swag is the biggest draw to get students out to games and Hurd Premium allows us to do more and more of those. NONE OF THE MONEY WE RECEIVE GOES TO HURD COMMITTEE PARTIES! Our leadership and advisers do a very good job of making sure our money is used as it should be and you can have full trust that all money is going back into the students' experience.
3. We are just getting started with gaining sponsorships from local companies. I have been working with employees in the athletic department on reaching out to current sponsors of USU athletics to really bring in a lot of local deals and discounts. We currently already have a handful and that number should multiply greatly in the coming weeks.
4. Also, we are working to make sure that special events like meet & greets with different athletics teams happen. These are difficult to make happen because of the different channels that need to be gone through but we are committed to providing students opportunities to interact with their favorite USU athletes and coaches.
5. The concessions deal will be for either a free hot dog or popcorn, I believe. I may be mistaken on that detail, but I know that it won't be a free for all on concessions for Premium members. We have to pay for all the items given to Premium members at the end of the year and we would never be able to afford allowing members to have whatever.

Please know that Hurd Premium isn't some sort of scam. I have been working my tail off this summer to make sure that it will be something that will enhance member's experience and be something people want to take part it. $25 is honestly a steal for everything that we are working on putting into the program. Also, we understand that it is not perfect. We are doing a lot to improve on things we got negative feedback on last year, and there will be things that we need to improve on again next year! Sorry for the long post, but hopefully that clears some things up!
Who do you think you are coming on this board as a complete newbie spouting actual facts‽ If you knew this board better, you would know we would much prefer to kvetch about things we know nothing about in blissful ignorance.

Seriously, though -- sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep it up!!
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieUprising50OKAggie

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » August 9th, 2019, 11:28 am

AgMan21 wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:35 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Oddly enough, it looks like USF changed their student section name to "the Herd" in 2015. One more reason for us to drop the poorly spelled "Hurd" name.

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2015/8/19/210277791.aspx
What a bunch of goofbulls.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » August 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm

KunaAggie wrote:

This is wonderful, Reed. Expanding concessions (and the cost of Hurd Premium) seems like a no-brainer to me. I was once a cheap student, and there's no way in hell that I would have missed out on a game (basketball, football, gymnastics, volleyball, ping pong tournament or otherwise) with a cheap/pre-paid meal attached to it. :cheers:

Also - let's not all act like "MUSS" is some sort of stroke of genius in student section naming either. I understand that it's an acronym, but it's neither better nor worse than "Hurd." All student section names are dumb, but the kids need an identity, dang it!!

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 9th, 2019, 3:07 pm

918AGG wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm
KunaAggie wrote:

This is wonderful, Reed. Expanding concessions (and the cost of Hurd Premium) seems like a no-brainer to me. I was once a cheap student, and there's no way in hell that I would have missed out on a game (basketball, football, gymnastics, volleyball, ping pong tournament or otherwise) with a cheap/pre-paid meal attached to it. :cheers:

Also - let's not all act like "MUSS" is some sort of stroke of genius in student section naming either. I understand that it's an acronym, but it's neither better nor worse than "Hurd." All student section names are dumb, but the kids need an identity, dang it!!
All of the Student Section names in Utah are lame. In that I agree. But there are definitely some good names out there (see above).
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
AgMan21

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 9th, 2019, 11:08 pm

I don’t mind Hurd. It fits with our Aggie roots with herd. It also reminds me of “Can you hear me now?” We want to be heard by the opposing team. Lastly, the misspelling with the U fits with USU. I think many are sour due to the origins of the Hurd.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
thegreendalegelf

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 9th, 2019, 11:16 pm

I think we should be called the Aggie Student Section.

Or A.S.S for short.

We can say we have the biggest, nicest, and strongest A$$ in the country.
These users thanked the author AggieUprising50 for the post:
trevordude

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 9th, 2019, 11:18 pm

We are America’s (I can't express myself without swearing)
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggieUprising50

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » August 9th, 2019, 11:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 11:18 pm
We are America’s a**
Amen!

College football’s premier A$$

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » August 10th, 2019, 6:47 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:I think we should be called the Aggie Student Section.

Or A.S.S for short.

We can say we have the biggest, nicest, and strongest A$$ in the country.

https://youtu.be/RAGcDi0DRtU

And ,y dislike of the name stems only from the fact that it makes us sound like a herd of cows chewing the cud. “The Bullpen” is SIGNIFICANTLY better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 2):
BearLakeMonstertreesap32

diddy

Post by diddy » August 12th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Student here. I love everything except for the 15 minute early entry. I want to support the HURD committee, but early entry is a load of crap. I'd rather buy the discounts without the early entry. I voiced my opinion loud and proud about how much I hated it and was told it would be axed this year. But, turns out students have no power or say in this so I've accepted it. Decided I don't have to be a fan of the HURD to support our guys on the field/court.

Locked Previous topicNext topic