What happened to Queta?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blitz79

Re: What happened to Queta?

Post by Blitz79 » July 22nd, 2019, 4:46 pm

It's hard to tell. Klay Thompson was jumping around like nothing after he blew out his knee in the final. The fact that Queta was moving around with only one crutch and going up and down podiums and dancing means nothing.

I hope he is ok.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
BleedAggieBlue0

bigskysbro

Post by bigskysbro » July 22nd, 2019, 5:09 pm

Joe Thornton played 4 playoff games a couple years ago with torn ACL and MCL. However he is a hockey player which pretty much implies a toughness/insanity not seen in athletes of other sports.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » July 22nd, 2019, 5:14 pm

Sounds positive! You can choose tweet and then hit translate.
Last edited by GeorgiaAggie on July 22nd, 2019, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 22nd, 2019, 5:14 pm

ACL injury has been ruled out. Big sigh of relief.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » July 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm

looks like meniscus injury is also ruled out?

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » July 22nd, 2019, 5:29 pm

Translation:

Initial diagnosis of Nehemiah Queta injury: sprained left knee with kneecap dislocation. The hypothesis of injury to the meniscus and anterior cruciate ligament is ruled out, which is good news. More exams will be done in the coming days. Downtime still to be determined.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 22nd, 2019, 6:08 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 12:23 pm
LKGates wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 10:57 am
That looks like the wrap actually stops BELOW the knee, mostly wrapping the lower leg. Maybe a strained/torn gastrocnemius?
Gotta be the Plantaris then ;)
I ruptured my plantaris once in softball when I went to field a grounder at shortstop. I planted and pushed and it popped. Plantaris isn't a necessary anatomic feature. I was good to go after a few of weeks rest.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » July 22nd, 2019, 6:16 pm

bigskysbro wrote:Joe Thornton played 4 playoff games a couple years ago with torn ACL and MCL. However he is a hockey player which pretty much implies a toughness/insanity not seen in athletes of other sports.
Quoted for truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 22nd, 2019, 7:12 pm

Emmett White played every football game of his life without ACLs in either knee.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttNVAggie

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » July 22nd, 2019, 11:11 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 22nd, 2019, 7:12 pm
Emmett White played every football game of his life without ACLs in either knee.
So crazy, I remember hearing that basketball player Dejuan Blair didn't have ACLs in either knee also. As someone who tore an ACL, its hard to imagine it being anatomically possible to be a professional athlete without one...my knee felt unsteady just walking many times until I got it fixed

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 23rd, 2019, 11:28 am

Good news is no ACL or meniscus tear. Dislocated knees can be nasty, but I don't think recovery time puts him missing any games.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » July 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

The recovery time for a sprained knee, i.e., hyperextended ligaments or partial ligament tear, is 2 to 4 weeks and 6 weeks for a dislocated kneecap. For a complete tear of a ligament the recovery time is 4 to 12 months. And by personal experience I can tell you that it is not any fun at all. My only claim to fame is that Tiger Woods and I had the same knee surgeon. It clearly worked out better for his golf game than mine.

I am not a physician but I did save a bundle on my car insurance by switching to Geico.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
Usu0505

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 23rd, 2019, 3:37 pm

utaggies wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm
The recovery time for a sprained knee, i.e., hyperextended ligaments or partial ligament tear, is 2 to 4 weeks and 6 weeks for a dislocated kneecap. For a complete tear of a ligament the recovery time is 4 to 12 months. And by personal experience I can tell you that it is not any fun at all. My only claim to fame is that Tiger Woods and I had the same knee surgeon. It clearly worked out better for his golf game than mine.

I am not a physician but I did save a bundle on my car insurance by switching to Geico.
Can't take your word for it unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
aggies22

LKGates

Post by LKGates » July 23rd, 2019, 7:54 pm

utaggies wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 2:52 pm

I'm a physician, and I know jack about bones. I'm a giblets man myself.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
aggies22

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » July 24th, 2019, 11:14 pm

utaggies wrote:The recovery time for a sprained knee, i.e., hyperextended ligaments or partial ligament tear, is 2 to 4 weeks and 6 weeks for a dislocated kneecap. For a complete tear of a ligament the recovery time is 4 to 12 months. And by personal experience I can tell you that it is not any fun at all. My only claim to fame is that Tiger Woods and I had the same knee surgeon. It clearly worked out better for his golf game than mine.

I am 6 months out from patellar tendon rupture and almost back to full range of motion, but still lacking a ton of muscle mass. It is so depressing how fast my quad deteriorated after surgery when my brain shut off my quad muscle for 3.5 weeks. I have been riding the recumbent bike on high resistance for a month now and it still isn’t bulking up

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 25th, 2019, 8:28 am

jpswensen wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 11:14 pm
utaggies wrote:The recovery time for a sprained knee, i.e., hyperextended ligaments or partial ligament tear, is 2 to 4 weeks and 6 weeks for a dislocated kneecap. For a complete tear of a ligament the recovery time is 4 to 12 months. And by personal experience I can tell you that it is not any fun at all. My only claim to fame is that Tiger Woods and I had the same knee surgeon. It clearly worked out better for his golf game than mine.

I am 6 months out from patellar tendon rupture and almost back to full range of motion, but still lacking a ton of muscle mass. It is so depressing how fast my quad deteriorated after surgery when my brain shut off my quad muscle for 3.5 weeks. I have been riding the recumbent bike on high resistance for a month now and it still isn’t bulking up

How old are you? That's a big factor in recovery time as well. Not to mention the amount of attention that is going to be placed on rehab for Queta vs the average Joe.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » July 25th, 2019, 10:07 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

How old are you? That's a big factor in recovery time as well. Not to mention the amount of attention that is going to be placed on rehab for Queta vs the average Joe.
I just barely got old (turned 40 last year). It was also a complete tear (surgery to pull the kneecap back down and re-attach the patellar tendon). Plus the 3.5 weeks of not being able to voluntarily activate my quad is not normal.

I have been super dedicated to my home PT, but got stuck for about 3 weeks at around 90 degrees range of motion. The orthopedist said more scar tissue than normal had formed and was contemplating hooking me up to a machine that forces your leg to move further while they had me anesthetized. Fortunately one day when the PT was cranking on it, it started making progress again.

I guess my whole point was that every person is different. Some athletes are back from major surgery in 6 months while others languish for years from a sprain or strain.

My side projects:

utaggies

Post by utaggies » July 25th, 2019, 11:29 am

jpswensen wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:07 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

I just barely got old (turned 40 last year). It was also a complete tear (surgery to pull the kneecap back down and re-attach the patellar tendon). Plus the 3.5 weeks of not being able to voluntarily activate my quad is not normal.

I have been super dedicated to my home PT, but got stuck for about 3 weeks at around 90 degrees range of motion. The orthopedist said more scar tissue than normal had formed and was contemplating hooking me up to a machine that forces your leg to move further while they had me anesthetized. Fortunately one day when the PT was cranking on it, it started making progress again.

I guess my whole point was that every person is different. Some athletes are back from major surgery in 6 months while others languish for years from a sprain or strain.

The same thing happened to me with my ACL replacement (took the patella tendon). I hit a wall after 3 or 4 weeks and was making no progress with my range of motion. I could lie on my back and my leg would bend to 90 degrees and no more. The doc discontinued strength exercises and had me focus on range of motion exclusively. The motivation was that w/o significant progress he would put me under and “manipulate” the knee, i.e., snap the scar tissue, which would entail me starting over from scratch. The episode was the most physically painful experience of my life. I nearly blacked out as they worked me over. I’d never before (and hope to never again) experience dry heaves in the PT office as a consequence of my body’s reaction to the pain.

Everyone is different. I apparently scar little on the outside of wounds but extensively on the inside.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 25th, 2019, 11:36 am

jpswensen wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 10:07 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:

No that’s a fair point and 40 is still young in my book since I’m 38. :joking:
I hope he has a speedy but complete recovery in the next 3-4 months so he can be ready for the season.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » July 25th, 2019, 11:47 am

I just figured it was because jpswensen is a big nerd that plays with LEDs and circuitry.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 25th, 2019, 1:20 pm

When I tore my ACL, I had full range of motion back before the end of week 2 post op. But then, I've always been unnaturally flexible.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » July 25th, 2019, 2:11 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:20 pm
When I tore my ACL, I had full range of motion back before the end of week 2 post op. But then, I've always been unnaturally flexible.
I hate you (though I wish my recovery had gone that smoothly).

My side projects:

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » July 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Would you say that per capita knee injuries in a town the size of Logan amongst Aggie fans is extraordinarily high?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 25th, 2019, 3:07 pm

nvspuds wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Would you say that per capita knee injuries in a town the size of Logan amongst Aggie fans is extraordinarily high?
Probably. How many of you guys injured it playing Churchball?

I injured my patella trying to foul a guy who was going in for a breakaway layup. He didn't convert the shot though, so it was worth it. :lol:

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 25th, 2019, 11:25 pm

I saw two guys tear their ACL on Christmas Eve playing morning ball. Both were non contact deals

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » July 25th, 2019, 11:49 pm

treesap32 wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 3:07 pm
nvspuds wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Probably. How many of you guys injured it playing Churchball?

I injured my patella trying to foul a guy who was going in for a breakaway layup. He didn't convert the shot though, so it was worth it. :lol:
Well, mine was a "hey kids! watch this!" moment at the trampoline park. I need to stop thinking I am 20 years younger and 30 pounds lighter.

My side projects:

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » July 26th, 2019, 12:15 am

Acl, 2 days before Christmas in a Church gym in Brigham. Brad Larsen who worked with goble did mine along with a meniscus implant a year later since mine was destroyed. 22 years ago. Still ok, but gets stiff and range of motion getting worse.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 26th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Still no official word on Queta’s injury???

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 26th, 2019, 5:50 pm

bluegrouse wrote:Still no official word on Queta’s injury???
No one in the AD knows. Information had been spotty and vague. They are encouraged and confident it is not a worse case scenario. He'll be here early next week and our guys can look at him and evaluate things. -- straight from Hartwell

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 26th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Wow. That’s crazy! How can they not know???

Thanks for the info.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 26th, 2019, 9:01 pm

It sounds like the doctors that did the MRI are either not good at communicating or are incompetent. My impression, not Hartwell's words.

dogie

Post by dogie » July 26th, 2019, 10:27 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Thanks for the info.
Because it was done in Portugal (according to Hartwell) and Queta won’t be back in Logan until early next week.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 27th, 2019, 1:55 am

dogie wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:27 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Because it was done in Portugal (according to Hartwell) and Queta won’t be back in Logan until early next week.
I know it happened over there but don’t you just call the doctors and/or Queta and ask them? Get Brito or someone else to help with translation if there’s a communication problem. Can they not send the MRI images??? Hell, send somebody over if you have to. I’m just a bit stunned that nobody really knows the results or what happened this long after the event. You would think that for an Aggie player with the highest ceiling in my lifetime and perhaps the first NBA player from Portugal, everyone wouldn’t be quite so casual about it but what do I know...

dogie

Post by dogie » July 27th, 2019, 9:44 am

bluegrouse wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 1:55 am
dogie wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 10:27 pm
bluegrouse wrote:

Thanks for the info.
I know it happened over there but don’t you just call the doctors and/or Queta and ask them? Get Brito or someone else to help with translation if there’s a communication problem. Can they not send the MRI images??? Hell, send somebody over if you have to. I’m just a bit stunned that nobody really knows the results or what happened this long after the event. You would think that for an Aggie player with the highest ceiling in my lifetime and perhaps the first NBA player from Portugal, everyone wouldn’t be quite so casual about it but what do I know...
I’m slightly surprised that he was playing in the tournament to begin with, given the fact that an injury in extracurricular basketball could wipe out his one chance at a fortune.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 27th, 2019, 10:54 am

I have no problem with him playing for his country. I think it is a great thing despite the injury.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic