MW Media Days next week. Where do the Aggies get picked?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 16th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Anything less than 3rd in the Mountain would be a big slap in the face (even with the coaching/personnel turnover).

YoungBloodAggie

Re: MW Media Days next week. Where do the Aggies get picked?

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 16th, 2019, 1:34 pm

It will look like this for the Mountain:

1st - Boise
2nd - USU
3rd - WYO
4th - AFA
5th - CSU
6th - UNM

I could potentially see WYO and AFA getting swapped, but I'll be very surprised if anything else is out of order from that.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 16th, 2019, 2:53 pm

2nd in the Mountain, but 1st overall :joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » July 16th, 2019, 6:46 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:It will look like this for the Mountain:

1st - Boise
2nd - USU
3rd - WYO
4th - AFA
5th - CSU
6th - UNM

I could potentially see WYO and AFA getting swapped, but I'll be very surprised if anything else is out of order from that.
Concur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » July 16th, 2019, 11:36 pm

Air Force is definitely getting picked ahead of Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 17th, 2019, 1:54 am

I could easily see us being picked 3rd in Mountain Div. behind BSU & AFA. I don't think there's a lot of respect for our program despite last year's record. The general consensus among both CFB analysts and MWC fans seems to be that USU has lost too many important pieces from last year's squad and last year's record was largely a product of an incredibly weak schedule.

While I can't really argue against those observations I also don't buy into the notion that this year's schedule is massively more difficult than last year. I believe this year's team will exceed the current 6.5/7 win total but we may be looking at familiar criticisms and reasons being thrown around at the end of the year for why the Aggies were able to do so. If Fresno St. and BSU struggle with new QB play it is possible these teams will be viewed as being down. It's also not that far fetched to think Wyoming and AFA struggle to be bowl eligible teams and at this point not a lot is being expected of CSU and UNM.

My point is that it seems that when the Aggies post a good record or experience a good season, people tend to point to our opponent's inabilities rather than give the program any credit. This will never change until USU wins on a big stage against a notable P5 team. Of course winning a MWC championship wouldn't hurt either.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 17th, 2019, 6:24 am

My bar is 8 wins this season. There is no reason for us to finish before 2nd in the mountain division with a string push for a title. We return a great QB, solid O line, great RB, with holes at receiver and a very strong D. The cupboard was not empty when Wells left.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 17th, 2019, 7:11 am

Aglicious wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 1:54 am
I could easily see us being picked 3rd in Mountain Div. behind BSU & AFA. I don't think there's a lot of respect for our program despite last year's record. The general consensus among both CFB analysts and MWC fans seems to be that USU has lost too many important pieces from last year's squad and last year's record was largely a product of an incredibly weak schedule.

While I can't really argue against those observations I also don't buy into the notion that this year's schedule is massively more difficult than last year. I believe this year's team will exceed the current 6.5/7 win total but we may be looking at familiar criticisms and reasons being thrown around at the end of the year for why the Aggies were able to do so. If Fresno St. and BSU struggle with new QB play it is possible these teams will be viewed as being down. It's also not that far fetched to think Wyoming and AFA struggle to be bowl eligible teams and at this point not a lot is being expected of CSU and UNM.

My point is that it seems that when the Aggies post a good record or experience a good season, people tend to point to our opponent's inabilities rather than give the program any credit. This will never change until USU wins on a big stage against a notable P5 team. Of course winning a MWC championship wouldn't hurt either.
Should we make a bet on where USU will be picked in the Mountain? If we are third, I give you $100. If we are second, you give me $100. Any other result is a push.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 17th, 2019, 7:52 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 16th, 2019, 1:34 pm

1st - Boise
2nd - USU
3rd - WYO
4th - AFA
5th - CSU
6th - UNM

AFA returns A LOT from their team last year. Phil Steele has them as his 25th most experienced team in 2019. They're similar to our squad in 2016 in that they lost a lot of very close games that would've led to a 7-8 win season for them. When an academy like them returns starters, it generally means they'll be very good the next year.

That said, everyone always seems to overlook AFA so I could see your rankings playing out.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 17th, 2019, 9:12 am

Madmartigan wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 7:52 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

1st - Boise
2nd - USU
3rd - WYO
4th - AFA
5th - CSU
6th - UNM

AFA returns A LOT from their team last year. Phil Steele has them as his 25th most experienced team in 2019. They're similar to our squad in 2016 in that they lost a lot of very close games that would've led to a 7-8 win season for them. When an academy like them returns starters, it generally means they'll be very good the next year.

That said, everyone always seems to overlook AFA so I could see your rankings playing out.
Didn't AFA lose their stud RB?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 17th, 2019, 10:02 am

Air Force is incredible the first half of every season and then they wear down we will catch them right at their peak.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 17th, 2019, 10:59 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 7:11 am
Aglicious wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 1:54 am

While I can't really argue against those observations I also don't buy into the notion that this year's schedule is massively more difficult than last year either. I believe this year's team will exceed the current 6.5/7 win total but we may be looking at familiar criticisms and reasons being thrown around at the end of the year for why the Aggies were able to do so. If Fresno St. and BSU struggle with new QB play it is possible these teams will be viewed as being down. It's also not that far fetched to think Wyoming and AFA struggle to be bowl eligible teams and at this point, not a lot is being expected of CSU and UNM.

Should we make a bet on where USU will be picked in the Mountain? If we are third, I give you $100. If we are second, you give me $100. Any other result is a push.
Oh I am not saying I agree with the pundits, I am just pointing out what we've seen so far from preseason rankings, team and conference preview articles, and bowl projections. I am putting my hope into the idea that MWC media and coaches are actually more familiar with the current status of each MWC program and will find USU's position to be favorable relative to others.

I honestly think we should be closer to #1 in Mountain than #3.

Full

Post by Full » July 17th, 2019, 11:31 am

dyedblue wrote:Air Force is incredible the first half of every season and then they wear down we will catch them right at their peak.
I went back to check this and I see nothing supporting them wearing down more than any other team. Their wins and losses as the season goes on are consistent with their wins and losses early in the season. For the most part they are a middle of the pack team that has one appearance in the championship game once. Very similar to how USU has performed since joining the conference.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 17th, 2019, 11:45 am

ViAggie wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 9:12 am
Madmartigan wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 7:52 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

1st - Boise
2nd - USU
3rd - WYO
4th - AFA
5th - CSU
6th - UNM

Didn't AFA lose their stud RB?
Their best runner (Fagan) is no longer with the program, but they return a lot more than just him.
Last edited by Madmartigan on July 17th, 2019, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 17th, 2019, 11:47 am

Full wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 11:31 am
dyedblue wrote:Air Force is incredible the first half of every season and then they wear down we will catch them right at their peak.
I went back to check this and I see nothing supporting them wearing down more than any other team. Their wins and losses as the season goes on are consistent with their wins and losses early in the season. For the most part they are a middle of the pack team that has one appearance in the championship game once. Very similar to how USU has performed since joining the conference.
I actually took a look at this recently; and AFA, USU, and CSU have the exact same conference record (23-17) since 2014. Boise is way out in front (32-8), New Mexico is clearly the worst (15-25), and Wyoming is fifth (19-21).

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » July 18th, 2019, 8:19 am

I don't think it matters much, but getting dissed at media days might provide a little extra spark to the team.

Overall I don't care other than it is something to pass the time until the season starts.
Last edited by JSHarvey on July 18th, 2019, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » July 18th, 2019, 11:42 am

JSHarvey wrote:I don't think it matters much, but getting dissed at media days might provide a little extra spark tot the team.

Overall I don't care other than it is something to pass the time until the season starts.
This exactly. I think we deserve 2nd in our devision but I hope the media picks us 5th! Keep that proverbial chip on own shoulders!
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
Machismo

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 18th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I won't be shocked when Colorado State gets picked ahead of us.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 18th, 2019, 12:30 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 12:27 pm
Please make a wager with me. I'll give you five to one odds.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 18th, 2019, 2:48 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 12:30 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 17th, 2019, 7:11 am
Loving this confidence from YoungBlood. Also concerned he might have a gambling problem.

These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 18th, 2019, 3:53 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 12:30 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 12:27 pm
Haha! I agree with you we SHOULD be picked second. I just temper my expectations because although we are often deserving of pre or post-season recognition, it never seems to turn out in our favor. For whatever reason, when things are left up to the media, there is always an excuse to find a team or player better than the Aggies.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 23rd, 2019, 8:34 am

And the results are in:

1. Boise
2. USU
3. AFA
4. WYO
5. CSU
6. UNM

I should have pursued some wagers with more intensity.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
USU78

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 23rd, 2019, 9:47 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 8:34 am
And the results are in:

1. Boise
2. USU
3. AFA
4. WYO
5. CSU
6. UNM

I should have pursued some wagers with more intensity.
Lost out on a lot of coin. In other news, 5 on the preseason 1st team MW

These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic