BYU, USU, BSU Joining AAC?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » June 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

This article talks about BYU, USU, and BSU joining the AAC.

https://lawlessrepublic.com/2019/06/24/ ... -invite/2/

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

JSHarvey

Re: BYU, USU, BSU Joining AAC?

Post by JSHarvey » June 25th, 2019, 9:08 am

As long as Boise stays in the MW and BYU stays out I'd much rather keep things like they are. Let BYU twist in the wind and slowly die.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 4):
USU78aggies22LKGatessneed

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 25th, 2019, 9:24 am

Boazy and the stench aren't necessary to USU's long term health. Wyoming and CSU are. If we can keep a core of those three schools plus UNM and AFA intact, everything else is negotiable.

We have found our true home, and what we always knew in our hearts has been proven true: we match up well with our regional institutional peers. And we can be successful.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
LKGates

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 25th, 2019, 9:31 am

I just don't see a scenario where those losers in provo ever champion a move to a conference that would include us. They would rather partner up and take Idaho or New Mexico State than sign off on a move that included us.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » June 25th, 2019, 9:34 am

I'm good with USU staying in the MWC
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 4):
aggies22MadmartiganLKGatesdonlarson8

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 25th, 2019, 9:42 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 9:34 am
I'm good with USU staying in the MWC
:golfclap: :golfclap:
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ratofallaggies

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 25th, 2019, 9:54 am

This is a non-starter for a lot of reasons. The MW is the best possible G5 conference for us to be in. Easy travel, traditional rivalries, and a very solid place for Oly sports to boot. AAC would increase travel costs 5-10x without a commensurate return in revenue.

Also, do you really want to be in the same conference as BYU at this point? They don't exactly play nice with conference mates. Super high maintenance.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
LKGates

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 25th, 2019, 10:13 am

I still don’t understand how BYU-P fans still think that not only can they join whatever conference they want, but also can get whoever they want to come with them
These users thanked the author trombone_ninja for the post:
sneed

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » June 25th, 2019, 10:22 am

We honestly couldn't be in a better conference. I love the MW, and if things stay the way that they are (which is unlikely), I prefer to stay in the MW forever.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 3):
LKGatesaggies22sneed

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 25th, 2019, 10:27 am

I love cougar fantasy fiction. I loved it when they were just SO SURE they were joining the Big 12. Personally I'd like to see them join the AAC, get them out of our hair for good. BUT ALAS it will not happen. It makes no sense for any team out west to join forces with an East Coast based conference. ZERO! The MWC is on par with the AAC, and perhaps even better sometimes. Fact is we're both sub P5's and that wont change anytime soon.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
LKGates

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Full

Post by Full » June 25th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Can the AAC just publicly state they have no interest in BYU-Provo. BYU-Provo should be scrambling to join the AAC, but I think they are happy in independence for now. BYU-Provo on the schedule as an independent is much better for USU than BYU-Provo in the AAC playing their conference schedule.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 25th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Seems like rank speculation by an uneducated BYU-P fan (sorry for the redundancy):

"BYU . . . has an amazing future schedule in the future" Really? An amazing future schedule in the future?

"It appears that the AAC is really trying to get to the P5 level and by essentially dropping the worst team and then gaining three really good teams, they could very well be considered in that conversation against the Big 12 and Pac 12 conferences" This is not a sentence. Maybe that's why no closing punctuation was included.

"But they would have to specific teams, and one of them has to be Boise State." But they would have to specific teams? WTH is this supposed to mean?

"This conference would be a security blanket for BYU once conference realignment happens in a few seasons and there would be no risk of BYU falling into a FCS or UMass/Liberty kind of situation." But isn't this what we are all praying for? Even those of us who don't pray? BYU falling into an "FCS or UMass/Liberty kind of situation?"

"This would take a lot of cooperation and probably wouldn’t happen but if BYU was able to keep the best four games each season that they have from 2023 on, and then play the eight AAC games, then I would say that BYU should listen." I love that the website encourages contributions from the English-as-a-second-language community. It's a refreshingly unexpected progressive position for a BYU-P-related publication.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
ShowMeAggieJSHarvey

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

tinplater

Post by tinplater » June 25th, 2019, 2:53 pm

USU78 wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 9:24 am
Boazy and the stench aren't necessary to USU's long term health. Wyoming and CSU are. If we can keep a core of those three schools plus UNM and AFA intact, everything else is negotiable.

We have found our true home, and what we always knew in our hearts has been proven true: we match up well with our regional institutional peers. And we can be successful.
Wholeheartedly agree. Wyoming, CSU, New Mexico were part of the old Skyline Conference that I grew up with and have always felt they fit in perfectly with Aggie athletics.
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post:
USU78

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 25th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I wonder where the author of this "article" placed our players in the 60 in 60 list on 1280.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78Zaggie07

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » June 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm

One thing I've never understood with BYU-P independence......I've heard multiple times how they left on bad terms with the MW. Can someone explain to me why we or any other MW team still schedules them? It would seriously kill their vision of Independence if the MW teams werent still helping them by scheduling them. Let them rot and die on the vine of independence I say!!!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 25th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Why would we do that? Games against South Florida, Tulane, and Tulsa?

Nah. Thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 25th, 2019, 4:13 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm
One thing I've never understood with BYU-P independence......I've heard multiple times how they left on bad terms with the MW. Can someone explain to me why we or any other MW team still schedules them? It would seriously kill their vision of Independence if the MW teams werent still helping them by scheduling them. Let them rot and die on the vine of independence I say!!!
They have between 3 and 6 MWC games per year. If the conference office came out and said "no more games with BYU", it wouldn't kill the Tigers, but it would certainly put them in a very difficult position. They probably couldn't continue to have 6 home games per year.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » June 25th, 2019, 4:47 pm

I second everyone else who says they would rather stay in the MWC. It's not even close for me. The AAC has absolutely zero pull in my book.

I would much rather play our Western peers than teams like Tulane, Eastern Carolina, SMU etc. They have to battle with multiple large conferences in their footprint where we have most the intermountain region to ourselves. Heck some years we could even battle for best in the west with the PAC 12. I think the MWC is positioned very well for the future and USU could NOT be in a better spot than we are.

I don't care what byu does. I do care what Boise does because they definitely elevate the national perception of our conference.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » June 25th, 2019, 4:52 pm

deltaaggie wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm
I think it is to make money.

Does anyone doubt that our games with Boise and BYU will be sold out this year? I can't recall if USU charges more for single game tickets against Boise and BYU but it wouldn't surprise me if they jack up the price a lot.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 25th, 2019, 5:03 pm

No need to worry this is a YBU pipe dream, also USU would be way down the list of schools that the ACC would have any interest in.

A good way to save on YBU and BSU ticket prices is by getting a season ticket what are they $115 for 6 games ? There are all kind's of cheap seat for sale even between the 40's on the east side. It looks like very few tickets have been sold.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 25th, 2019, 6:00 pm

No way we are going to the AAC. We are in the second best conference possible and are with regional rivals. That move would make no sense at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 25th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Of course, we really don't have delusions of grandeur like the zoobs do. We are never going to compete with the SEC and Big 10 schools. At least not in my lifetime. We don't have P5 facilities or fan base. And that's ok. I would prefer to be the best we can be at our level and compete against our peers. We are in a perfect spot for that.

These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
tinplater

Formerly TulsAGGIE

sneed

Post by sneed » June 25th, 2019, 10:13 pm

I would rather stay in the MW even if Boise left. I'm not worried though. This isn't happening.

CanuckAggie

Post by CanuckAggie » June 25th, 2019, 11:47 pm

I do feel like the AAC has done a better job promoting it's product than the MWC, or perhaps at least the fact that they have TV markets in eastern/central time zones has made it easier for them to secure access. They seem to be getting better bowl tie-ins. I wouldn't hate the idea of being in the conference TBH.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 26th, 2019, 6:50 am

CanuckAggie wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 11:47 pm
I do feel like the AAC has done a better job promoting it's product than the MWC, or perhaps at least the fact that they have TV markets in eastern/central time zones has made it easier for them to secure access. They seem to be getting better bowl tie-ins. I wouldn't hate the idea of being in the conference TBH.
I agree. What would it take to oust Craig Thompson?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
oleblu111

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 26th, 2019, 7:06 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:50 am
CanuckAggie wrote:
Is it east coast preference?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 26th, 2019, 8:00 am

slcagg wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:06 am
aggies22 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:50 am
CanuckAggie wrote:
Is it east coast preference?
Maybe? It's never really been a secret that east coast sports fans typically won't stay up until 10 or 11 to catch a mountain or western time zone late start game. But it sure appears at times like Thompson doesn't really have the best interest of the conference at heart. At least from the outside looking in he doesn't seem to be working to get us more bowl games and I think I read somewhere that next years conference hoops tourney is going to start a week earlier. I might be wrong on that one BUT if not WTF?? That week earlier stuff is reserved for lower level conferences like the Big Sky, WCC and the other 20 smaller conferences that litter the east and the south.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 26th, 2019, 8:10 am

The only conference I would want to leave for is the PAC-12. I like where we're at.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » June 26th, 2019, 8:35 am

I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this subject is how the media reacts. On the drive into work on 1280 they were talking how suddenly they think the AAC is a better conference than the MWC in football. Like miles ahead....good grief, not even close. One stand out team ranked at the end and the MWC had 3?....people people people! Come on now.
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post (total 2):
aggies22sneed

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 26th, 2019, 8:39 am

kofdog wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:35 am
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about this subject is how the media reacts. On the drive into work on 1280 they were talking how suddenly they think the AAC is a better conference than the MWC in football. Like miles ahead....good grief, not even close. One stand out team ranked at the end and the MWC had 3?....people people people! Come on now.
Bill Connelly had the MWC rated above the AAC for this past year in his S&P+ system.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22NVAggie

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 26th, 2019, 9:39 am

kofdog wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 8:35 am
I think this bias occurs because the AAC games are on prominent TV networks more frequently and during the morning or late afternoon hours. I would wager money that outside of Scotty G, most of the SLC media watches more UCF, Temple, Houston, and Memphis games than USU or any other MW teams games.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 26th, 2019, 11:04 am

BYU fans: "We should only consider joining the AAC if they allow us to postpone bringing our football until 2023 so we can avoid paying cancellation fees to the teams we've already scheduled".

Also BYU fans: "Why do people insist that we're difficult to work with?"

Nobody here knows anything.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » June 26th, 2019, 11:06 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 4:11 pm
Why would we do that? Games against South Florida, Tulane, and Tulsa?

Nah. Thanks but no thanks.

I could be convinced.

Nobody here knows anything.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 26th, 2019, 12:26 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 10:13 am
I still don’t understand how BYU-P fans still think that not only can they join whatever conference they want, but also can get whoever they want to come with them
You haven’t been around these parts for long, have you? Haha.

The depths of BYP fans arrogance knows no bounds.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » June 26th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Makes no sense whatsoever for us. I agree that only other conference I would rather be in than the MW is the P12 and even then it’s not a slam dunk for me.

Locked Previous topicNext topic