New Commit

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

New Commit

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm

These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
sneedChicAggie

ChicAggie

Re: New Commit

Post by ChicAggie » June 14th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Looks like a good get. I hope a year off working with the likes of Sam Merrill and others will round his 3P shot into shape.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 14th, 2019, 4:35 pm

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 14th, 2019, 4:39 pm

Another lefty.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » June 14th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Count me as ecstatic that USU has this commitment. Lost in the angst over the PG position is the reality that after Sam graduates, there was going to be a void at SG. This year's class,up until now, brought in height. But the team is thin at guard beyond the seniors, especially IF this is Porter's last year.

Since we are not likely to get transfers that started on P5 teams, it feels pretty good to get someone off the bench of the national champion.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 14th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Nice work '22. His high school stats are of the charts. He will be a nice addition to fill the cosmic void Sam will leave behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 14th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Call me cautiously pessimistic on this signing. Brayden Bell comes to mind based on his limited usage and very poor stats at Virginia after being a highly touted high school player. Interesting that Virginia was his only big conference offer.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 7:07 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:02 pm
Call me cautiously pessimistic on this signing. Brayden Bell comes to mind based on his limited usage and very poor stats at Virginia after being a highly touted high school player. Interesting that Virginia was his only big conference offer.

The difference is Stew and his lazy approach to recruiting is how we ended up with Brayden Bell. He was a local kid wanting to return after having his run at the Big-10 not work out. Marco Anthony had to sit behind two dudes that are/will end up in the NBA. The coaching staff is VERY particular about who they offer scholarships to.
Last edited by aggies22 on June 15th, 2019, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionIdaAg93

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 14th, 2019, 7:43 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:Count me as ecstatic that USU has this commitment. Lost in the angst over the PG position is the reality that after Sam graduates, there was going to be a void at SG. This year's class,up until now, brought in height. But the team is thin at guard beyond the seniors, especially IF this is Porter's last year.

Since we are not likely to get transfers that started on P5 teams, it feels pretty good to get someone off the bench of the national champion.
Why would Porter leave?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:43 pm
SectionBAggie wrote:Count me as ecstatic that USU has this commitment. Lost in the angst over the PG position is the reality that after Sam graduates, there was going to be a void at SG. This year's class,up until now, brought in height. But the team is thin at guard beyond the seniors, especially IF this is Porter's last year.

Why would Porter leave?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Porter will graduate this year, even though he will have another year of eligibility left.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 14th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Jjoey53 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Why would Porter leave?

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Porter will graduate this year, even though he will have another year of eligibility left.
No need for correction. You are right.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 14th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Thx guys, yes,he could leave asa grad transfer then,

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 14th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Anyone knows what his major is and how that might fit in a graduate program at USU?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 14th, 2019, 9:11 pm

I doubt Abel would move on as a graduate transfer. Probably more as he is moving on in his non-basketball career.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 15th, 2019, 8:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:07 pm

The difference is Stew and his lazy approach to recruiting...
:lol: :cheers:

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » June 15th, 2019, 1:22 pm

treesap32 wrote:

Jarred Shaw is the only other player I can think of that we have had transfer in from a P5.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 15th, 2019, 1:45 pm

So far, this is a verbal commitment and not a signing, right?

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

Donman

Post by Donman » June 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm

trombone_ninja wrote:So far, this is a verbal commitment and not a signing, right?
It's been announced

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » June 15th, 2019, 5:26 pm

nswaggie wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Jarred Shaw is the only other player I can think of that we have had transfer in from a P5.

I am pretty sure that Jerome Johnson (84-85) transferred from Oklahoma. He had been a backup to NCAA Hall of Famer Wayman Tisdale. Jerome contributed, even started some games. But it was clear that Tisdale’s spot had not been in jeopardy.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post:
aggies22

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » June 15th, 2019, 11:03 pm

Jay Goodman transferred from Iowa State and had a great career here.
These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post (total 2):
aggies22NVAggie

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 16th, 2019, 4:59 am

breadysmith wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 11:03 pm
We'll done. :golfclap:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 16th, 2019, 7:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 4:59 am
breadysmith wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 11:03 pm
We'll done. :golfclap:
The baby faced assassin. Agreed well done.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 17th, 2019, 9:15 am

treesap32 wrote:

I've pointed out before that just becuase someone is coming from a bigger school doesn't automatically mean they will be an asset specifically because of Brayden Bell.

Buuuuut... Brayden Bell had a lot of issues- not just play style. Brayden Bell should be the stock photo of "dumb jock", He wasnt good. I had class with him, along with basically the entire hoops team. Newbold, Formisano, Jaxon, Wesley, Pooh- were all in that class. Bell was barely able to form a sentence.

Have you ever worked with someone so bad that you ask yourself "how the heck did this person have an interview and still get hired". That was my experience with Bell. He is the only USU basketball player, that I've met that I didn't like.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 17th, 2019, 9:22 am

One caution I'd say, is to temper expectations on any player that is replacing a graduating player. It's unfair to compare Sam Merrill's future replacement to Sam Merrill, a future Aggie Hall of Famer. He is one of the best guards in the country. If schools were able to get recruiting do-overs he'd be a scholarship player at every school in the country and would start for the vast majority of them.

Whoever takes Merrill's position when he leaves will be his own player. I don't know how many of you are the younger sibling, but for me I always lived in my sisters' shadows when I was in HS. Same concept. It's likely we are going to have a drop in production at Sam's position specifically. That is why I'm glad Coach Smith is building an entire team.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 17th, 2019, 9:27 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:15 am
treesap32 wrote:

I've pointed out before that just becuase someone is coming from a bigger school doesn't automatically mean they will be an asset specifically because of Brayden Bell.

Buuuuut... Brayden Bell had a lot of issues- not just play style. Brayden Bell should be the stock photo of "dumb jock", He wasnt good. I had class with him, along with basically the entire hoops team. Newbold, Formisano, Jaxon, Wesley, Pooh- were all in that class. Bell was barely able to form a sentence.

Have you ever worked with someone so bad that you ask yourself "how the heck did this person have an interview and still get hired". That was my experience with Bell. He is the only USU basketball player, that I've met that I didn't like.
I know you didn’t mean it, but you made it sound like you didn’t like him because he wasn’t very smart. At least I hope you didn’t mean it that way.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 17th, 2019, 10:54 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:27 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I know you didn’t mean it, but you made it sound like you didn’t like him because he wasn’t very smart. At least I hope you didn’t mean it that way.
If it were just that he wasn't smart, I wouldn't have that big of an issue with him.

However, I'm not in the business of trashing former players not named David Collette or Thoseby for non-basketball reasons. I've probably opened my mouth too much on this topic as is, and will not comment further on Brayden Bell at this time.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » June 17th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 10:54 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 9:27 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

If it were just that he wasn't smart, I wouldn't have that big of an issue with him.

However, I'm not in the business of trashing former players not named David Collette or Thoseby for non-basketball reasons. I've probably opened my mouth too much on this topic as is, and will not comment further on Brayden Bell at this time.
Fair

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 17th, 2019, 5:12 pm

I'm curious now. What did Thoseberry do?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 17th, 2019, 5:39 pm

I had no issue with Thoseby. He was out of his league for sure and want happy when he left, but he didn't do anything I saw that was agregious.

Now Collette and Berger on the other hand...and to a lesser extent Kyle Davis.

I knew Davis was going to BYU in February, but at least he stock or the season and then made his move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 18th, 2019, 9:49 am

Blitz79 wrote:
June 17th, 2019, 5:12 pm
I'm curious now. What did Thoseberry do?
You apparently don't remember your Aggie history. What did Thoseberry do? Well, at the MWC Games in 1968, Thoseberry won the gold medal with the then-unknown-but-now-revolutionary "Thoseberry Flop." You can look it up here: https://www.latlmes.com/breaking/thoseb ... sketball-1
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic