Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 10th, 2019, 9:36 am

http://aggielegends.buzzsprout.com/3164 ... ?play=true

This is Wild Bill's podcast.

Collette was very complimentary of USU. The comments and his personal experience with Duryea were pretty interesting.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Aggie legends podcast with David Collette is up

Post by ProvoAggie » June 10th, 2019, 11:57 am

He confirmed some things that we always assumed but were denied by his camp. He admitted that his transfer definitely broke some rules and even though Utah didn't contact him first, there was contact with Utah before quitting at USU and he was even promised a scholarship. Both David and the coaches at Utah denied that this was the case.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 2):
Zaggie07aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 10th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Can't Utah be punished after the fact? Tampering is tampering.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » June 10th, 2019, 12:59 pm

"Blind faith"

https://www.ksl.com/article/38002435/fo ... ve-to-utah

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 10th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Coach Duryea was not a good head coach. Period. David did the best he could to make it work. Aggie fans need to let bygones be bygones. And, look, I never liked the Duryea hire from the beginning. It's too bad that my life was so crazy that I couldn't talk to David in person about it. I wouldn't have blamed him at the time.

Our athletic department has made some very bad hires through the years and that was definitely one of them.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 2):
oleblu111Roy McAvoy

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 10th, 2019, 1:18 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Coach Duryea was not a good head coach. Period. David did the best he could to make it work. Aggie fans need to let bygones be bygones. And, look, I never liked the Duryea hire from the beginning. It's too bad that my life was so crazy that I couldn't talk to David in person about it. I wouldn't have blamed him at the time.

Our athletic department has made some very bad hires through the years and that was definitely one of them.
A bad coach doesn't absolve Collette of acting poorly. He's responsible for his own actions.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post (total 3):
aggies22LarryTheAggieMetsJetsAggies

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » June 10th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Anyone want to give a synopsis? Is it worth listening to if I have little to no interest in Collette and would only want to hear about how/why he left? Thanks in advance for the heads up.

bpd

Post by bpd » June 10th, 2019, 1:36 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Duyrea was not a good coach or a bad coach, he was very mediocre. That said, Duryea is a stand up guy. David Collette is a quitter and will always be a quitter. Utah and DC are both cheaters. We already knew that. If DC wanted to transfer he could have during the summer, not after an exhibition game and several weeks into practice. By the way, how good was Utah when DC played there? Not that great.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
aggies22NVAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 10th, 2019, 1:43 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Anyone want to give a synopsis? Is it worth listening to if I have little to no interest in Collette and would only want to hear about how/why he left? Thanks in advance for the heads up.
  • Collette loved the Spectrum, the Aggies, and playing for Stew
  • Collette said there's no comparison between the Spectrum and the Huntsman Center. Spectrum is better by a long shot.
  • Collette had zero relationship with Duryea - when Duryea was named head coach. Duryea had never ran a practice while Collette was there, never spoke with Collette. The lack of relationship with Duryea concerned Collette but Collette was willing to give Duryea time.
  • Duryea appointed a few returning players as a leadership council and told them to provide input on certain things. Duryea repeatedly dismissed their suggestions and input and did what he wanted - this frustrated Collette
  • Some of the players recommended Jaylen play the three. Duryea said "he didn't know how to get him the ball in as a three." ???? This response was alarming to Collette.
  • Duryea operated practices in a strange way. Often stopping a restart on things when any mistake was made without teaching.
  • Duryea and Collette got into a heated argument in a practice when the practice methods seemed so ridiculous that Collette couldn't keep his mouth shut anymore.
  • Upon returning home from that practice, he spoke with his wife and thought about making a change.
  • Collette spoke to his AAU coach to ask for advice - his coach said it sounded like he needed to make a change.
  • Collette indirectly (meaning through other people) began exploring interest in him from other teams
  • After knowing he could likely get on with Utah, he announced he was leaving.
I don't know the timing of all this - and I know that's a big part of the criticisms.
Collette still loves USU and would recommend to any player to play there (for coach Smith). I don't think he regrets leaving, but I do think he wishes Duryea wouldn't have been hired as his coach.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 6):
Roy McAvoyMadmartiganbigblueaggies22oleblu111NVAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » June 10th, 2019, 1:44 pm

If we wanted to get into the world of counterfactuals, had Collette stuck around we could have had a much better team and our current view of Duryea could be very different. Though eventually Duyrea would likely have been exposed for the mediocre coach that he is sooner or later.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 10th, 2019, 1:45 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:44 pm
If we wanted to get into the world of counterfactuals, had Collette stuck around we could have had a much better team and our current view of Duryea could be very different. Though eventually Duyrea would likely have been exposed for the mediocre coach that he is sooner or later.
Likely later. Collette leaving hastened Duryea's departure. We should probably bake Collette some cookies.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 6):
LarryTheAggieMadmartiganbigblueaggies22MetsJetsAggiesJSHarvey

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 10th, 2019, 1:52 pm

brownjeans wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:43 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:20 pm
  • Collette loved the Spectrum, the Aggies, and playing for Stew
  • Collette said there's no comparison between the Spectrum and the Huntsman Center. Spectrum is better by a long shot.
  • Collette had zero relationship with Duryea - when Duryea was named head coach. Duryea had never ran a practice while Collette was there, never spoke with Collette. The lack of relationship with Duryea concerned Collette but Collette was willing to give Duryea time.
  • Duryea appointed a few returning players as a leadership council and told them to provide input on certain things. Duryea repeatedly dismissed their suggestions and input and did what he wanted - this frustrated Collette
  • Some of the players recommended Jaylen play the three. Duryea said "he didn't know how to get him the ball in as a three." ???? This response was alarming to Collette.
  • Duryea operated practices in a strange way. Often stopping a restart on things when any mistake was made without teaching.
  • Duryea and Collette got into a heated argument in a practice when the practice methods seemed so ridiculous that Collette couldn't keep his mouth shut anymore.
  • Upon returning home from that practice, he spoke with his wife and thought about making a change.
  • Collette spoke to his AAU coach to ask for advice - his coach said it sounded like he needed to make a change.
  • Collette indirectly (meaning through other people) began exploring interest in him from other teams
  • After knowing he could likely get on with Utah, he announced he was leaving.
I don't know the timing of all this - and I know that's a big part of the criticisms.
Collette still loves USU and would recommend to any player to play there (for coach Smith). I don't think he regrets leaving, but I do think he wishes Duryea wouldn't have been hired as his coach.
Great synopsis. I empathize much more with DC's situation having listened to the podcast. He wanted to try and make it work at USU but he saw the problems with TDs coaching. Still tough on your teammates to leave like that few days before the season, but I think DC genuinely wanted to make it work in Logan. DC made some big mistakes, but he's admitted them now and I can deal with that. He seems like he's matured a lot the last several years.

Also as 22 has pointed out, hilarious that Ute fans were claiming there was no chance of tampering when he left. He's admitted there was blatant tampering now.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 3):
IntermeddlerRoy McAvoyaggies22

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Yep. He said he broke NCAA rules by having friends and family members contact the U. They in turn reciprocated that contact and offered him a scholarship illegally. We all knew that was the case, but now that he's no longer an NCAA athlete he freely admits it. The podcast guys even tried to give him an "out" saying, "Of course, we're all just joking about breaking rules". And he said "I'm not joking. I did it."

Should come as no surprise that Larry K is cheating down at the U. He was the coach for Kuzma who was given thousands of dollars to play there (through a shoe company).

I thought it was an interesting listen. I hate to say it, but I agree with pretty much everything he said about Duryea's coaching abilities. Yes, Duryea was a nice guy, but it didn't seem like was (or is) head coach material. The most telling quote for me from the podcast was Collette saying: "I think the best way to describe him taking over, was that we had 5 assistant coaches. I didn't feel like we had a head coach"
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
Madmartiganaggies22oleblu111NVAggieJSHarvey

thetrueaggie

Post by thetrueaggie » June 10th, 2019, 2:09 pm

RE: Collette's timing

He mentioned how he thought that had he played in the exhibition games, he would lose 2 years of eligibility instead of 1. This turned out not to be the case, but it adds some perspective as to why he left early. Obviously there are two sides to every story, but it really sounds like he gave Duryea a fair shot. I think a smart rule the NCAA could implement would be if the head coach who recruited you leaves or retires, you can transfer without penalty.
These users thanked the author thetrueaggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 10th, 2019, 2:13 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Yep. He said he broke NCAA rules by having friends and family members contact the U. They in turn reciprocated that contact and offered him a scholarship illegally. We all knew that was the case, but now that he's no longer an NCAA athlete he freely admits it. The podcast guys even tried to give him an "out" saying, "Of course, we're all just joking about breaking rules". And he said "I'm not joking. I did it."

Should come as no surprise that Larry K is cheating down at the U. He was the coach for Kuzma who was given thousands of dollars to play there (through a shoe company).

I thought it was an interesting listen. I hate to say it, but I agree with pretty much everything he said about Duryea's coaching abilities. Yes, Duryea was a nice guy, but it didn't seem like was (or is) head coach material. The most telling quote for me from the podcast was Collette saying: "I think the best way to describe him taking over, was that we had 5 assistant coaches. I didn't feel like we had a head coach"
I do not want to say it because it will go to his head, but USUBlue was so right about TD.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 3):
USU78aggies22ProvoAggie

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » June 10th, 2019, 3:20 pm

brownjeans great writeup!! I listened to it wanting to be mad at collette and was wondering all the snakey little excuses that would be made as to why it happened. but as i listened to it, i could see the whole recruiting, playing and leaving a school is a decision that was not made in the moment. I will look at this side of the story with a different light.
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
Madmartigan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 2:13 pm
treesap32 wrote:

I do not want to say it because it will go to his head, but USUBlue was so right about TD.
Don't worry, USUBlue might still read the board but he likely will never post again. So at least you won't have to hear about it if that's what you're worried about.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 10th, 2019, 3:58 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 3:51 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Don't worry, USUBlue might still read the board but he likely will never post again. So at least you won't have to hear about it if that's what you're worried about.
Really? Why is that? It occurred to me I hadn't seen him post in awhile.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » June 10th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

There’s nothing to complain about at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 10th, 2019, 4:29 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

There’s nothing to complain about at the moment.

You’re “sensitive” to people complaining, but sometimes it’s valid. People who complained about TD were proven correct.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
aggies22

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » June 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm

So, with this admission, is someone who knows what they are doing at USU or elsewhere going to file a formal NCAA complaint?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 10th, 2019, 4:41 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm
So, with this admission, is someone who knows what they are doing at USU or elsewhere going to file a formal NCAA complaint?
Sounds like a job for compliance!

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » June 10th, 2019, 4:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 4:41 pm
WasatchAggie wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 4:39 pm
Sounds like a job for compliance!
I’ve got an idea, we don’t file a complaint and the U starts an annual BB and FB games with the Aggies - home and home of course. They can decide who they want to drop and use some of their P12 money to buy the contracts out.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 10th, 2019, 5:15 pm

The Tribune should write an article on this. But they won't.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
aggies22ProvoAggiesneed

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » June 10th, 2019, 6:07 pm

treesap32 wrote:The Tribune should write an article on this. But they won't.

Same goes for the Herald Journal. I don't understand how they can be so close (geographically) yet so distanced from things going on at USU.

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 10th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Wasn't looking forward to this one and didn't think I could ever gain one shred of respect for Collette but listening to it from his point of view actually changed my mind. It is crazy to hear how much he loves the Aggies and wishes he could have been a part of it. It really just came down to a personal conflict and as much as we may hate it as fans, DC was right about TD's coaching abilities despite him being a good guy.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
NVAggieMetsJetsAggies

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » June 10th, 2019, 8:34 pm

It was definitely intriguing. I'm not as emotional as some fans. When he did leave I didn't place 100% of the blame on him. Personally, if it got that toxic with Turdyea it was probably his best option. Timing did suck but it is what it is. I can respect the guy more than I did before.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 10th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I am glad they actually talked about it. The Berger one was stupid.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
elcheque2donlarson8

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Aglicious wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 6:45 pm
Wasn't looking forward to this one and didn't think I could ever gain one shred of respect for Collette but listening to it from his point of view actually changed my mind. It is crazy to hear how much he loves the Aggies and wishes he could have been a part of it. It really just came down to a personal conflict and as much as we may hate it as fans, DC was right about TD's coaching abilities despite him being a good guy.
I felt the same as you going in and now feel the same as you after hearing it. Collette obviously still follows the Aggies and loves Logan. I came away feeling really bad for him having to give up the school he loved because he was dealt a crappy coach by a lame duck AD. I think Utah was the only school he had contacts with that was corrupt enough to guarantee him a safe landing spot. It must have really been hard for him to do what he did and he sounds very melancholy about it now. I wish he had a twitter account or something to contact him and let him know how much I appreciated his honesty.

Also, I was wrong about my earlier stance on players who transfer out. It’s not as black and white as I originally viewed it.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Aglicious

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm

He is still a d bag from my viewpoint. He could have sucked it up for one year, then left at the end of the season. No one with a shred of integrity leaves at the time he did.
These users thanked the author Jjoey53 for the post:
aggies22

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 10th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:He is still a d bag from my viewpoint. He could have sucked it up for one year, then left at the end of the season. No one with a shred of integrity leaves at the time he did.
This.

Now Collette is a liar too. I really don't care that he left. It is how and when. Duryea may not have been a great coach, but he is a decent person and if Duryea was so stupid that Collette couldn't keep his mouth shut any longer then he needs to think about all the stupid things he did that cost us games while he was here. He had a much lower basketball IQ than Duryea.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aggies22

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » June 10th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm
He is still a d bag from my viewpoint. He could have sucked it up for one year, then left at the end of the season. No one with a shred of integrity leaves at the time he did.
I'm with you on what he should have done. Deciding to stay over the summer to see what would happen was a selfish move. It was at the moment he decided to give it the summer that he should have committed, and when things sucked with TD, uphold his commitment and worked through the year and then transferred instead of effectively robbing the team of a scholarship for that year.

Think about it though, this podcast didn't really shed any new light on anything. It all went down pretty much exactly how we all thought it did, and Collette broke the rules and screwed his team over.

I'm over it now and have no problem welcoming him back into the fold (not that that means anything) but it doesn't change my mind that I think he acted in a very immature manner, even after having listened to the podcast. It sounds like he wishes things could have been different but they weren't and things played out how they did and that's that now.

I've made a lot of stupid immature choices too - especially in my early 20s. Hopefully no one I care about will hold those things over my head forever or let them define who I am as a person.
These users thanked the author justinmorrey for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 10th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm
I guarantee any one of us, with a ticking eligibility clock, would consider getting out of a toxic situation just like he would. Would you really just waste 8 months of your college playing career grinning and bearing it? The guy returned to finish his mission after being home 6 months, meeting his future wife, and being offered a scholie and role on the team that season. That doesn’t sound like a guy who gives up on a commitment easily. Duryea’s ineptitude topped all of those factors. The older I get the more I see things from the view of these student athletes who are treated more like indentured servants.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 10th, 2019, 11:04 pm

If they are indentured servants, why do parents spend thousands Yom thousands in comp teams, AAU ball, and playing in tournaments all over the country as young as second grade. Is all that done to seek your soul to be an indentured servant?

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » June 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm

usufan1 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:The Tribune should write an article on this. But they won't.

Same goes for the Herald Journal. I don't understand how they can be so close (geographically) yet so distanced from things going on at USU.

Lotta construction on 500 n and 600 east, plus Aggie Blvd, can’t figure out how to get up there.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic