Is it possible that the Aggies will be the best in the west?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 7th, 2019, 11:14 am

Or even second best?

Contenders? Gonzaga, Arizona, Washington, who else?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Is it possible that the Aggies will be the best in the west?

Post by USU78 » June 7th, 2019, 11:25 am

St Mary's?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » June 7th, 2019, 11:32 am

Possible? Sure. Anything can happen. It's possible that we could win the big dance next season.

Is it plausible? I don't think so.

One take away I have from the NCAA tournament was that we have a ways to go to be a top team in the country and even the West.

That's not to say that I think we're not good or that we should be pessimistic. We have many reasons to be optimistic about the program next year.

I think we'll be a top five team in the West, but a ways off from the top team.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post (total 2):
NVAggiesneed

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Anything less than being the top team in the west, in the top 10 nationally and a deep run in the tourney would have to be considered a colossal failure given your preseason hype...:)
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 5):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0NVAggieMurkymerkdonlarson8

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 7th, 2019, 12:22 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:11 pm
Anything less than being the top team in the west, in the top 10 nationally and a deep run in the tourney would have to be considered a colossal failure given your preseason hype...:)
Touché.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » June 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

nvspuds wrote:
I'm just asking. Who knows the other teams in the west well enough? Andy Katz puts the Aggies at #19. Only Gonzaga was higher. That's at least as good as anyone's opinion here so far, but what I'm looking for is something more educated than that and I know there are fans that look at this more closely than Andy does.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Then I guess you should consider yourself 2..

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 7th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Forget best in west. All I care about is being the best team on the court at Times Union Center, Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena, Enterprise Center, or Amalie Arena on March 19 and 21, or at Greensboro Coliseum(again), CHI Health Center, Golden 1 Center, or Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse on March 20 and 22. And even better if we can be the best on the court at Lucas Oil Stadium or Staples Center on March 26 and 28, or Toyota Center or Madison Square Garden on March 27 and 29!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » June 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Slow down, I don't know if you've heard, but Utah, of the PAC-12 Conference of Champions, is considered a western school. We cannot compete with them in either major sport due to conference affiliation. Our ceiling is second best in the west.

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » June 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Slow down, I don't know if you've heard, but Utah, of the PAC-12 Conference of Champions, is considered a western school. We cannot compete with them in either major sport due to conference affiliation. Our ceiling is second best in the west.
But there are 12 teams in the Conference of Champions. So our ceiling is 13th best.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

utaggies

Post by utaggies » June 7th, 2019, 2:30 pm

nvspuds wrote:
I see what you did there!

SLB

Post by SLB » June 7th, 2019, 2:45 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 11:14 am
Or even second best?

My preseason top 2 of the West
1) Oregon
2) Utah State
Arizona might be great too, but it is a bit of unknown at this point.
Washington and Gonzaga lost their key players to the NBA draft and/or were also senoirs.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 7th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Lets just hope USU can win the MWC, before we get ready to win in the post season after all wins in the NCAA are hard to come by for ole USU.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
usufan1NVAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 7th, 2019, 7:34 pm

SLB wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 11:14 am
Or even second best?

My preseason top 2 of the West
1) Oregon
2) Utah State
Arizona might be great too, but it is a bit of unknown at this point.
Washington and Gonzaga lost their key players to the NBA draft and/or were also senoirs.
Oregon won't even be ranked. They lost their whole team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 7th, 2019, 9:03 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Lets just hope USU can win the MWC, before we get ready to win in the post season after all wins in the NCAA are hard to come by for ole USU.
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oleblu wins again..........

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 7th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Ken Pom only has the Aggies at 38, he usually is very credible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 8th, 2019, 7:06 am

nvspuds wrote:Anything less than being the top team in the west, in the top 10 nationally and a deep run in the tourney would have to be considered a colossal failure given your preseason hype...:)
I see what you’re doing and the emoji suggests it’s somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the difference between this Aggie team and last year’s Nevada team is that Nevada was coming off a deep run in the tourney, was returning everyone, and had been crowned national darlings as a top 10 team preseason (I believe as high as No. 5 in some polls). The Aggies are nowhere near that except in the minds of a few (overly?) optimistic fans.

While I semi-secretly find myself deludedly wandering into the camp of those optimistic fans, I generally keep it to myself. I will honestly say that if the Aggies have exactly the same season Nevada had last year, I will be somewhat disappointed. I am dying to see a Sweet 16 run - and I think if this team builds on what they accomplished last year, they can do it. That is me throwing caution to the wind and just being plain out optimistic - which is not a reasonable trait for a lifelong Aggies, Jazz, Vikings, and Twins fan.

Best in the west? Probably not. Top 3 or 4 in the west? I’d be a bit disappointed if they weren’t. I know this is absolutely batcrap crazy talk given where we all thought the Aggies were entering last season. It’s amazing that we’ve come so far so quickly.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 8th, 2019, 7:26 am

Honestly I’d be pretty happy with even a top 5 finish in the West.

Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Arizona State, Gonzaga, st. Mary’s, San Diego State, Uc Irvine (actually won their ncaa game)..

There’s some good teams out West.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » June 8th, 2019, 7:43 am

I have been an Aggie far too long to even think of best in the West. We will first have to sweep all instate schools that we play, which we have not done in a long time.
We certainly have the guns to make it another wonderful season! GO AGGIES!

Where only sage brush grows

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 8th, 2019, 11:57 am

ChicAggie wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 7:06 am
nvspuds wrote:Anything less than being the top team in the west, in the top 10 nationally and a deep run in the tourney would have to be considered a colossal failure given your preseason hype...:)
I see what you’re doing and the emoji suggests it’s somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the difference between this Aggie team and last year’s Nevada team is that Nevada was coming off a deep run in the tourney, was returning everyone, and had been crowned national darlings as a top 10 team preseason (I believe as high as No. 5 in some polls). The Aggies are nowhere near that except in the minds of a few (overly?) optimistic fans.

While I semi-secretly find myself deludedly wandering into the camp of those optimistic fans, I generally keep it to myself. I will honestly say that if the Aggies have exactly the same season Nevada had last year, I will be somewhat disappointed. I am dying to see a Sweet 16 run - and I think if this team builds on what they accomplished last year, they can do it. That is me throwing caution to the wind and just being plain out optimistic - which is not a reasonable trait for a lifelong Aggies, Jazz, Vikings, and Twins fan.

Best in the west? Probably not. Top 3 or 4 in the west? I’d be a bit disappointed if they weren’t. I know this is absolutely batcrap crazy talk given where we all thought the Aggies were entering last season. It’s amazing that we’ve come so far so quickly.

Returning everyone? Nevada returned 3 guys from their Sweet 16 team . They had 4 transfers who sat out but only 2 of those guys provided any production. The Sweet 16 team had no one over 6'6..They played five guards the whole game. It worked because they could shoot.

Last season's team had two real big guys but Muss couldn't play them together because neither could stretch the floor..They just clogged things up in the block. It was just a completely different vibe..

Winning 2 games in the tourney is hard but Nevada had 2 massive come from behind wins but lost to a mid major..when the shots were dropping they were really good..When they weren't not so much.

USU should have a fantastic season going forward. You do in fact return several key players. I would not be at all surprised to see you win the MW and get to the tourney. Anything can happen in the NCAA's. The 2 times Nevada has made the 16 they were 10 seeds. This past season they were a 7. The highest seed they have ever been is a 6 and that team lost to Montana.

That is kind of how things go in mid major land. Hype can make a team seem a whole lot better than they are but it doesn't make it reality.

I think Nevada played very well when they were healthy and hitting shots but they just ran out of steam . It happens.

While I don't really care if fans from another school were "disappointed" by Nevada, I am not disappointed. It is hard to be good, harder still to stay good and overall I am delighted with what by all measures for me a fantastic season. Isuspect you will be too. Even if you don't live up to somebody else's hype.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 8th, 2019, 11:59 am

By the by..Nevada returns only 2 guys from this past season's active roster. It is a whole new team..I have absolutely no idea how next season will go..

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » June 8th, 2019, 4:31 pm

ChicAggie wrote:

The Twins are good this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 8th, 2019, 10:32 pm

nvspuds wrote:While I don't really care if fans from another school were "disappointed" by Nevada, I am not disappointed.
You post an awful lot about something you don’t care about. What is this, four posts totaling three pages in two different threads? Get over it. I had higher expectations for your team than you did. Who gives a sh!t? Seriously.

And nitpicking about why your lower expectations were reasonable is completely irrelevant to the point.

You can go on being blithely satisfied with your team and post all you want about it on your own team’s forum. I for one will be disappointed if the Ags don’t win at least one tourney game this season, which is my only point and has absolutely NOTHING to do with your team or your feelings about your team.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 9th, 2019, 9:01 am

Fair enough..I will never respond to the many times you have mentioned it again.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 9th, 2019, 3:18 pm

You were the one who brought it up unnecessarily in this thread.

Nor did I bring it up in the other thread: I was merely defending one of my Aggie brethren whom you jumped on for suggesting Nevada's season ended in a disappointing fashion.
Last edited by ChicAggie on June 9th, 2019, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 9th, 2019, 3:19 pm

nvspuds, I just want to ask. Are you concerned about Steve Alford's history in the NCAA Tournament? Losing TWICE as a 3 to a 14? I know I am glad it wasn't us that lost our coach and hired him.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 9th, 2019, 4:50 pm

I like the Alford hire. He was very good in the MW before. His record in the NCAA's is irrelevant to me. He has won over 500 games as a head coach..I think we were lucky to get him..

One of the things that struck me about this hire..Johnson, Fox , Carter and Muss had never been a head coach in college when they got hired..We really had zero track record to go on..Alford has a long track record..I was thinking we would have gone with a rookie again.

Locked Previous topicNext topic