Could USU ever make it to the PAC-12? 14?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Quelch

Could USU ever make it to the PAC-12? 14?

Post by Quelch » May 25th, 2011, 10:55 pm

As I look at some of the Universities like Washington, it appears to me that Washington St. is the similar small player to the Big Boy in Seattle. It also appear similar with Oregon and Oregon St. being the little brother. I just don't think that there is much difference with these 2 instances.

Maybe the disparity gap has grown just way too much over the years to allow this type of conference affiliation. Really, how much better is OSU and WSU with all other things considered. Maybe I am just too naive to not accept our poor pitiful membership in the 2012 WAC. Had we been in the WAC 20 years ago, I would bet we would be in the PAC-12 instead of Colorado. We will never know but I sure hate Utah! I hope they lose every game in the PAC whatever!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Could USU ever make it to the PAC-12? 14?

Post by brownjeans » May 25th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Sure. When USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon and Washington bolt for the new 32-team super conference we might be considered to back fill. But only if we're pulling 10-2 in football on a regular basis and drawing an average of 40k fans to a game.

C-state
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by C-state » May 26th, 2011, 12:00 am

Good post Quelch. Don't forget about Colorado State though. We are a package deal when the Pac12 goes to 14 :cheers:

UW/WSU
UO/OSU
UA/ASU
UU/USU
CU/CSU
CAL/LSJU
USC/UCLA

Jayzep

Post by Jayzep » May 26th, 2011, 12:14 am

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. However my thought was how Utah State and Colorado State need to work together to join the Big 12. Yea I said it....

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » May 26th, 2011, 8:21 am

Quelch wrote:As I look at some of the Universities like Washington, it appears to me that Washington St. is the similar small player to the Big Boy in Seattle. It also appear similar with Oregon and Oregon St. being the little brother. I just don't think that there is much difference with these 2 instances.

Maybe the disparity gap has grown just way too much over the years to allow this type of conference affiliation. Really, how much better is OSU and WSU with all other things considered. Maybe I am just too naive to not accept our poor pitiful membership in the 2012 WAC. Had we been in the WAC 20 years ago, I would bet we would be in the PAC-12 instead of Colorado. We will never know but I sure hate Utah! I hope they lose every game in the PAC whatever!
I think the only way we would be in the PAC-12 or 14 today is if we had already been there 20 years ago, before TV markets became the main driver for conference expansion. Even had we been highly successful and shared a conference with the ewe for decades, only one of our schools would have been chosen. It is possible it could have been us rather than them, but not likely. The PAC was not going to add a single TV market when it could add two.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 26th, 2011, 11:46 am

You never know for sure, but it is way out there for now. If we can build a consistent winning program, upgrade facilities, and so forth, I wouldn't say it would be out of the question at some point in the future. Utah State and Colorado State would be obvious choices, as they would fit the current membership profile of the PAC-12.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 26th, 2011, 11:56 am

Let 'em go to 16 and throw in New Mexico and NMSU, too. Then they could just have a 'Four Corners' Division and a Pacific Division. Or, if people want to play Cali schools every year, they could do a zipper scheme with a "State" Division and an "of" Division.

sportsguy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sportsguy » May 26th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Quelch wrote:As I look at some of the Universities like Washington, it appears to me that Washington St. is the similar small player to the Big Boy in Seattle. It also appear similar with Oregon and Oregon St. being the little brother. I just don't think that there is much difference with these 2 instances.

The difference is that both schools have been playing with their counterparts for nearly 100 years. If Washington State had not been part of the Pac for all these years, I am not sure they would have been invited. Plus both have solid traditions with multiple Rose Bowl appearances and top 25 finishes. I'd also add that Oregon State gets nearly triple the home attendance of USU, and Washington State gets about 7,000 more per game (and are constantly ripped on because of it)

USU to get an invite to the Pac, would need to grow both their local support (40,000+ per game for football), and well as their TV share. If it did that, then down the road it would be possible, and if not, they might be attractive to the Big 12.

But with the attendance right now, small market share, and the state of the football program, they would not be an attractive candidate to the MWC let alone the Pac-12.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 26th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Athletic budget for Utah is currently around $31M. Utah needs to approximately double their budget to put them near the "Big Dogs" in the PAC12. The USU athletic budget is around $13.5M for last year. Utah (A D Chris Hill) has indicated they may let certain sports "slip" in order to remain competitive in "Other" sports. Likely a good idea to let the non revenue Olympic sports slide next to extinction and support the venues that make headlines AND money for the school. Is anyone in Logan listening?

Some dreams are currently out of reach...........the PAC 10/12/14 being one of them. We can always dream, but we have played schools in our general region for 100+ years over the course of three (3) centuries. I would observe the financial "ARMS RACE" simply can't continue. Opinions?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 26th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Yeah Navy, it sure seems they dump a lot of money into the softball diamond. It is a top notch facility. The new indoor track center has really eaten into our budget as well. Maybe I read your post wrong. Personally, we just need to start by bringing in more money at the gates and through sponsorship.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » May 26th, 2011, 8:14 pm

Washington State and Oregon State would never be invited to the PAC12 today.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 26th, 2011, 9:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:Yeah Navy, it sure seems they dump a lot of money into the softball diamond. It is a top notch facility. The new indoor track center has really eaten into our budget as well. Maybe I read your post wrong. Personally, we just need to start by bringing in more money at the gates and through sponsorship.

The only sport that counts is FOOTBALL. We are in a war for athletic survival, nothing more. If Chris Hill, the A D at Utah will indicate some sports will have to slide while Utah attempts to get up to speed with the "Major" sport, what more needs to be said?

Go right ahead and spend away with a scant athletic budget for minor sports. We have for 30 years, and we are in such a lovely athletic conference position right now, aren't we? Again, it's about Football. If it were anything else USU would have been in a much better conference for years.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 26th, 2011, 9:30 pm

I disagree that we have spent away on minor sports. I should have clarified, the USU softball diamond is a joke. What facilities have the tennis, cross country, and track teams received. I just don't feel we should blame the minor sports for our conference woes. Our pathetic football attendance and lack of institutional, community, and alumni support are to blame for our current state.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 26th, 2011, 10:31 pm

NV, we are in crises because of neglect of Aggie Football. Sparse home crowds, a thin booster association, near zero commercial interest in Aggie Football, and moldering facilities...that is what 30 years of playing the game that USU can sustain a full calendar of intercollegiate sports has presented us.

Our Aggie women have a national championship, but few know what sport or when it was. Football is what matters.......Football is all that matters. Past USU Presidents have overlooked that reality and look where we are. We have a brief window of opportunity now before us because of the efforts of our current school president. We must not take our eye off the target.

I have to believe you and I and all the others on this board want a renewal of gridiron success. Winning Aggie Football enables all other Aggie sports, but football comes first or nothing changes.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » May 27th, 2011, 5:57 am

I agree Navy, my only concern is that we have waited too long to care and now we will never recover.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » May 27th, 2011, 8:35 am

Let's package ourselves with UVU.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » May 29th, 2011, 7:29 am

With our Nike connection, yes.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 6th, 2011, 12:49 pm

How good is the PAC really anymore? Sure Oregon is good, and Stanford has Luck.... but UCLA hasn't been good for a few years, USC is on the downslope because of probation.... and the other teams are mediocre at best (including my Sun Devils).... In any other major conference (except the Big East) Utah wouldn't be such a strong contender to go to the conference championship... Yes USC will get better... if they finally get rid of their highest paid losing coach....

Basketball is a little better but is below Pac-10 standards... and unlike Football adding Utah wont help... the only real contenders last year was UofA, Washington and UCLA... Williams is going to the NBA so I'm not sure how good the Mildcats will be... and Malcom Lee is gone too...

All I am saying is the PAC is not playing up to their standards.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 6th, 2011, 12:51 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:NV, we are in crises because of neglect of Aggie Football. Sparse home crowds, a thin booster association, near zero commercial interest in Aggie Football, and moldering facilities...that is what 30 years of playing the game that USU can sustain a full calendar of intercollegiate sports has presented us.

Our Aggie women have a national championship, but few know what sport or when it was. Football is what matters.......Football is all that matters. Past USU Presidents have overlooked that reality and look where we are. We have a brief window of opportunity now before us because of the efforts of our current school president. We must not take our eye off the target.

I have to believe you and I and all the others on this board want a renewal of gridiron success. Winning Aggie Football enables all other Aggie sports, but football comes first or nothing changes.
stupid title 9

Locked Previous topicNext topic