Caroline's Tantrum

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgzEyeViews

Re: Caroline's Tantrum

Post by AgzEyeViews » March 3rd, 2019, 10:41 pm

usufan1 wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 6:40 pm
AgzEyeViews wrote:The only inappropriate touching I saw at the game was when Mussleman grabbed the refs whistle.
I totally missed this, when did that happen?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
In the second half after a time out he followed the ref to almost the key and grabbed it and told the ref to use it. Although I don't know why, he was using it plenty already.

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 3rd, 2019, 11:34 pm

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » March 3rd, 2019, 11:44 pm

kofdog wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 9:13 pm
MrBiggle wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 12:42 pm
Empire of Dirt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 12:02 pm
Don't we play Sweet Caroline routinely at sporting events.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
yes, but not last night
Oh they played it last night already, while the fans were on the court, right before Smith spoke to the crowd.
Very possible there is something else that set him off but him hearing the crowd sing sweet Caroline is a possibility. Do we know the timeline of events? As I recall that could have been sung at around the time of the tunnel incident. I wish we could get timestamps from the video. There is one other thing if I am not mistaken, our staff was in the Tunnel with the Police, but I never hear them say anything confrontational. If they did it seems the white-shirted guy that had been filming the Nevada teams trip would have posted it or one of the many other journalists on hand would have heard it but so far none of the many journalists present have said they heard anything of the kind. This means only one thing, nothing was said in the tunnel or a journalist would have said so. Musselman claims that the Police were witnesses so then how could the press not also be witnesses. So far, Sour Grapes makes the most sense.

#hornsup!

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 3rd, 2019, 11:49 pm

Hey Aggies! Congrats on the win. Maybe, we will meet it in the NCAAT this season (you never know). It hasn't gone so well for you since leaving the Big West, but I digress.

It is cringe to read all these threads where people are trying to dissect the fan behavior in order to rule out "touching" or THAT WORD as the cause for Caroline's Hulksmash to the fire extinguisher box. Just watch the video, guys. Clearly, Caroline has gone ahead of his team down the tunnel, smashes the glass box, then goes around the corner and doing the "I'm gonna fight you" shout-n-dance which is directed at the whoever is at the other end of the hall he just walked away from.

Occam's Razor says that the Nevada team ended up in a confrontation with the Utah State team in the hallways and, probably what happened is that when they saw each other, words were exchanged to the effect of "get the F out of here to your locker room." That's exactly what the cop was clumsily attempting to enforce when he shoved the Nevada guy.

This had nothing to do with Utah State fans and, by all appearances, USU handled the court storming part of the situation perfectly. Where USU screwed up was the female staffer who made the critical error of ushering the Nevada team TOWARD THE WRONG LOCKER ROOM, in a hasty effort to prevent trouble by getting Nevada into the tunnel a.s.a.p. Then, it turned into a This Is Spinal Tap situation.

Musselman's response to the cop in the hallway was pure defense. He's like "crap! My most important player just destroyed property in broad daylight. Quick! Spit out random accusations comprised of all the objections I made to the refs during the game." The media took Musselman's cryptic accusations and ran with it, because that is what the media does. Also, anything Race War is hot clickbait, so they can't resist.

Case closed.
Last edited by BeefEater on March 3rd, 2019, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author BeefEater for the post (total 2):
CodingAggieBluesneed

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » March 3rd, 2019, 11:50 pm

Hopefully we find out more tomorrow, and then on Tuesday the next “Runnin with the Pack” episode airs on stadium which should be able to put the pieces together (unless UNR gets them to frame the story in their favor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 3rd, 2019, 11:53 pm

BeefEater wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 11:49 pm
Hey Aggies! Congrats on the win. Maybe, we will meet it in the NCAAT this season (you never know). It hasn't gone so well for you since leaving the Big West, but I digress.

It is cringe to read all these threads where people are trying to dissect the fan behavior in order to rule out "touching" or THAT WORD as the cause for Caroline's Hulksmash to the fire extinguisher box. Just watch the video, guys. Clearly, Caroline has gone ahead of his team down the tunnel, smashes the glass box, then goes around the corner and doing the "I'm gonna fight you" shout-n-dance which is directed at the whoever is at the other end of the hall he just walked away from.

Occam's Razor says that the Nevada team ended up in a confrontation with the Utah State team in the hallways and, probably what happened is that when they saw each other, words were exchanged to the effect of "get the F out of here to your locker room." That's exactly what the cop was clumsily attempting to enforce when he shoved the Nevada guy.

This had nothing to do with Utah State fans and, by all appearances, USU handled the court storming part of the situation perfectly. Where USU screwed up was the female staffer who made the critical error of ushering the Nevada team TOWARD THE WRONG LOCKER ROOM, in a hasty effort to prevent trouble by getting Nevada into the tunnel a.s.a.p. Then, it turned into a This Is Spinal Tap situation.

Musselman's response to the cop in the hallway was pure defense. He's like "crap! My most important player just destroyed property in broad daylight. Quick! Spit out random accusations comprised of all the objections I made to the refs during the game."

Case closed.
I don't buy this explanation. USU players and coaches were out on the court for another 5+ minutes after the entire Nevada team and staff were in the tunnel. It takes 60 seconds to walk from the entrance of the tunnel to the opposing team's locker room. Either they encountered someone/something in the tunnel that set them off or they were hanging out in the tunnel for an inordinate amount of time until the USU players and staff started trying to get to their locker room.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 3rd, 2019, 11:56 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 11:53 pm
BeefEater wrote:

Musselman's response to the cop in the hallway was pure defense. He's like "crap! My most important player just destroyed property in broad daylight. Quick! Spit out random accusations comprised of all the objections I made to the refs during the game."

Case closed.
I don't buy this explanation. USU players and coaches were out on the court for another 5+ minutes after the entire Nevada team and staff were in the tunnel. It takes 60 seconds to walk from the entrance of the tunnel to the opposing team's locker room. Either they encountered someone/something in the tunnel that set them off or they were hanging out in the tunnel for an inordinate amount of time until the USU players and staff started trying to get to their locker room.
I am leaning toward inordinate amount of time. This Is Spinal Tap.

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 12:04 am

As an aside, which you may find interesting, Musselman's father was also a famous coach who was notorious for his fervor. Some blamed Bill Musselman for instigating the on-court riot in 1972 when his Minnesota players assaulted Ohio State's center.

sethpackfan09

Post by sethpackfan09 » March 4th, 2019, 12:39 am

So do any of you Aggie fans have an unbiased take or is it pretty much certain that it was all Nevada and the coaches and their thug players. Seriously came here to get a better take but all is see is that you all are 100% it’s Nevada that’s at fault and they act how their coach acts. Damn shame.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » March 4th, 2019, 12:48 am

sethpackfan09 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:39 am
So do any of you Aggie fans have an unbiased take or is it pretty much certain that it was all Nevada and the coaches and their thug players. Seriously came here to get a better take but all is see is that you all are 100% it’s Nevada that’s at fault and they act how their coach acts. Damn shame.
We don't know what happened, but are pretty sure the narrative being put forth by Musselman (or fans interpretation of coaches'/Caroline's complaints from the video) is malarkey. Go watch the three videos in these threads from the player side of the court. We had a plan in place to get a rope up between the players and the scrum quickly. It took 5 seconds after the buzzer. If you follow each player, not a single one was hit by a fan. There was one collision between the event staff extending the rope barrier and a player, but it was relatively mild in comparison to most in-game foul. There did not appear to be any interactions across the barrier between fans and players, but it couldn't be for sure. There did not seem to be any agitation among the players, or between players and fans, during their entire transit to the tunnel.

Coaches on the other hand got chippy with each other. Guess who was the first person to refuse to shake hands with our assistants?!?!? Musselman. Go watch the videos. Musselman is at the front of his line of coaches, and is shaking hands. He decides to skip our last three coaches. A couple of guys behind Musselman also don't offer a handshake to our last couple assistants. So, our last guy in line doesn't shake a hand when offered from someone a couple of people down the Nevada line. That person that was refused a handshake said something to our last assistant in line, and this USU assistant after taking a few steps turns around and yells something, and then two Nevada assistants start yelling back.

I could fully expect the USU assistant yell back something profane in response to the Nevada assistant questioning his handshake refusal. Looking at the rest of the line pass each other, I highly doubt that assistant was swearing at each person down the line or there would have been more animated responses.

I don't know what happened to set the coaches and Caroline off so much. I couldn't see anything that happened on the court that merited them not getting into their own locker room more quickly. The Aggie players and (most) coaches were out on the court for another 5+ minutes after the game was over. Even going in the Aggie tunnel, it take about 60 seconds to walk around to the visiting locker room. If the Nevada team hung out in the tunnel long enough to interact with USU players/coaches, then it is their own fault and they should be considered instigators.

Hopefully there is enough video evidence and coaches will be truthful about what really happened so we can get to the bottom of this. What I do know is that a lot of the accusations flying around don't appear to be supported by the evidence available so far.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 4):
CodingAggieBluesneedSpectrumMagicaggies22

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

utkyag
Has thanked: 0

Post by utkyag » March 4th, 2019, 1:40 am

Watching the video of the game, Caroline is visibly upset after fouling out. The announcers also stated that Musselman was upset with his team fouling in the last minute or so of the game, after he was telling them not to foul. A lot of pent up emotion left the court after the final buzzer.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 4:47 am

sethpackfan09 wrote:
I can tell you right now that it is 100% Nevada. We have HD cameras all through that hall, and I've seen all of it. It is astounding how badly your guys handled things. From the top down. Your season most likely ended with that game.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 7):
CodingAggieBlueAggie_in_Idahonewtonianbluesneedusufan1aggies22BeefEater

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 4:51 am

jpswensen wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:48 am
sethpackfan09 wrote:
We don't know what happened, but are pretty sure the narrative being put forth by Musselman (or fans interpretation of coaches'/Caroline's complaints from the video) is malarkey. Go watch the three videos in these threads from the player side of the court. We had a plan in place to get a rope up between the players and the scrum quickly. It took 5 seconds after the buzzer. If you follow each player, not a single one was hit by a fan. There was one collision between the event staff extending the rope barrier and a player, but it was relatively mild in comparison to most in-game foul. There did not appear to be any interactions across the barrier between fans and players, but it couldn't be for sure. There did not seem to be any agitation among the players, or between players and fans, during their entire transit to the tunnel.

Coaches on the other hand got chippy with each other. Guess who was the first person to refuse to shake hands with our assistants?!?!? Musselman. Go watch the videos. Musselman is at the front of his line of coaches, and is shaking hands. He decides to skip our last three coaches. A couple of guys behind Musselman also don't offer a handshake to our last couple assistants. So, our last guy in line doesn't shake a hand when offered from someone a couple of people down the Nevada line. That person that was refused a handshake said something to our last assistant in line, and this USU assistant after taking a few steps turns around and yells something, and then two Nevada assistants start yelling back.

I could fully expect the USU assistant yell back something profane in response to the Nevada assistant questioning his handshake refusal. Looking at the rest of the line pass each other, I highly doubt that assistant was swearing at each person down the line or there would have been more animated responses.

I don't know what happened to set the coaches and Caroline off so much. I couldn't see anything that happened on the court that merited them not getting into their own locker room more quickly. The Aggie players and (most) coaches were out on the court for another 5+ minutes after the game was over. Even going in the Aggie tunnel, it take about 60 seconds to walk around to the visiting locker room. If the Nevada team hung out in the tunnel long enough to interact with USU players/coaches, then it is their own fault and they should be considered instigators.

Hopefully there is enough video evidence and coaches will be truthful about what really happened so we can get to the bottom of this. What I do know is that a lot of the accusations flying around don't appear to be supported by the evidence available so far.
There is more than enough video evidence. If I were the Nevada coaches and players, I'd start throwing out apologies and doing whatever I could to lighten the blow of what's coming.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
Aggie_in_Idahosneed

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 4:57 am

Oh, this sounds good. ^

So, I have two questions.

(1) If Caroline wasn't challenging USU team members (i.e players or coaching staff) to a fistfight, then who was he screaming at? He acted like he was screaming at somebody who would be down the hall.

(2) Why did the Reno 911 documentary filmmaker decide to edit the video so that we only see the bits that were released on Twitter? Why not show ANY of what preceded the fire alarm hulk smash? (A: more than likely because it would show Reno team being at fault)
These users thanked the author BeefEater for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 5:03 am

BeefEater wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 4:57 am
Oh, this sounds good. ^

(1) If Caroline wasn't challenging USU team members (i.e players or coaching staff) to a fistfight, then who was he screaming at? He acted like he was screaming at somebody who would be down the hall.

(2) Why did the Reno 911 documentary filmmaker decide to edit the video so that we only see the bits that were released on Twitter? Why not show ANY of what preceded the fire alarm hulk smash? (A: more than likely because it would show Reno team being at fault)
I don't disagree in the slightest with anything you've said.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
BeefEater

Psych
Has thanked: 0

Post by Psych » March 4th, 2019, 6:42 am

Can't wait for all the evidence to come out (well the portion will become public of course). I'm 100% okay with USU being as quiet as they are now to make sure they get their ducks in a row. If anyone from USU did something to instigate (outside of you know... winning) I do hope for some consequence. But on that same note I think there clearly needs to be consequences for 1) the blame game NV is playing and 2) behavior of Caroline and the NV coaching staff.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 4th, 2019, 6:45 am

jpswensen wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:48 am
sethpackfan09 wrote:
If you look closely at GameFAQSAggie's court-rush video here, you can see an interaction between Caroline (#24) and a bald guy in a white shirt, at about :55 of the video. Caroline having fouled out is on the bench at the buzzer, the rope goes up within a few seconds, and Caroline is always on the bench side of the rope, and goes through the handshake line without incident. Caroline appears to be the last player to walk down the line. The guy (a fan? he's looks like a grown man in khakis, so probably not a student and maybe support staff) on the other side of the rope, approaches and appears to say something, Caroline appears to turn toward the fan, both extend their arms toward each other briefly in what could have been physical contact between the two of them, what appears to be a Nevada assistant gets between them, and Caroline continues toward the tunnel. Of course no way to know what was said, and if there was any physical contact between them it was fleeting.

If this is the "fans touching players" incident, it's not much (although any touching of the players is inappropriate). Benefit of the doubt: after a hotly contested game in a hostile environment, even the slightest provocation could set you off -- I don't know the first thing about Caroline, except that he's very talented and has given us fits before. But, at least based on this video (and none of the others posted show any of this, that I can see), there may have been a touching. Not much of one, though.

[EDIT: link bad before. Sorry.]
Last edited by OKAggie on March 4th, 2019, 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nobody here knows anything.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 7:00 am

Ahbye wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 4:47 am
sethpackfan09 wrote:
I can tell you right now that it is 100% Nevada. We have HD cameras all through that hall, and I've seen all of it. It is astounding how badly your guys handled things. From the top down. Your season most likely ended with that game.
Glad to hear your perspective. Been hoping to hear from you. Thanks for posting what you know.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 4th, 2019, 7:39 am

Ahbye wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 4:57 am
Oh, this sounds good. ^

I don't disagree in the slightest with anything you've said.
Two sides to every story... Glad that there are cameras to capture the second side.

So was Caroline yelling at his own team/coaches?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 7:41 am

Ahbye wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 4:47 am
sethpackfan09 wrote:
Their season ended? How? You just being a little dramatic or are we talking a major suspension for Caroline? Any idea when the truth will come out?

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 7:48 am

Caroline was not yelling at his own team. I have no idea when it'll come out. If I'm nevada, I hope it comes out today so I can suspend while the regular season has two games left. I'd be very surprised and upset if nothing happened.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 7:49 am

BeefEater wrote:
{snip}
Welcome to the board. I expect you're a SAggie fan? Anyway, pay close attention to Ahbye. Cop [not campus security] on the USU beat. Knows things. Has access to stuff.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
BeefEater

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 7:55 am

Ahbye wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 7:48 am
Caroline was not yelling at his own team. I have no idea when it'll come out. If I'm nevada, I hope it comes out today so I can suspend while the regular season has two games left. I'd be very surprised and upset if nothing happened.
The MW will see all the footage USU has, right?

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » March 4th, 2019, 7:59 am

They better.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 8:08 am

And probably ideal for USU if it all came out today. We want Nevada to drop one of the next two so we can win outright and get the one seed (so I’m cool with a one or two game suspension) but I want Nevada full strength for the conference tourney. It’d be bad if someone other than USU or Nevada wins the MW tourney.

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » March 4th, 2019, 8:15 am

BeefEater, since you may not know the layout of The Spectrum...the two tunnels exit directly to the west and meet each other adjoined by the hallway in which you see the Nevada contingent committing crimes. If you go up the visitor tunnel and turn right, you walk the width of a basketball court to the home locker room. If you go up the home tunnel and turn left, you walk the width of a basketball court to the visitor locker room. Ushering Nevada up the home tunnel and directing them past the home locker room to their own, while the home team is on the court for the next 8-10 minutes celebrating is the proper protocol to get them off of the court as quickly, and safely, as possible. Utah State will come out of this investigation as having shown nothing but professionalism and class.
These users thanked the author sockpuppet for the post:
BeefEater

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 7:49 am
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}
Welcome to the board. I expect you're a SAggie fan? Anyway, pay close attention to Ahbye. Cop [not campus security] on the USU beat. Knows things. Has access to stuff.
Ewwwww. Please, don't accuse me of being one of your fans. I am an Anteater! Me and Utah State go back a ways.

No, I just wanted to throw my two cents in because I have a excellent gaydar when it comes to false media narratives. This one stunk.

I figured there was something Spinal Tap going on with the Reno team disorderly roaming up and down the tunnel. Whatever it was, exactly, they weren't where they belonged. Therefore, SOMETHING happened after they entered the tunnel which preceded the start of the video.

All this talk about "touching" and racism seems suspiciously like a red herring to distract from the truth.
Last edited by BeefEater on March 4th, 2019, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donlarson8

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 1:21 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 8:15 am
BeefEater, since you may not know the layout of The Spectrum...the two tunnels exit directly to the west and meet each other adjoined by the hallway in which you see the Nevada contingent committing crimes. If you go up the visitor tunnel and turn right, you walk the width of a basketball court to the home locker room. If you go up the home tunnel and turn left, you walk the width of a basketball court to the visitor locker room. Ushering Nevada up the home tunnel and directing them past the home locker room to their own, while the home team is on the court for the next 8-10 minutes celebrating is the proper protocol to get them off of the court as quickly, and safely, as possible. Utah State will come out of this investigation as having shown nothing but professionalism and class.
If the rumored explanation is true, then I was being too charitable toward Reno. . . which is really saying something, because I figured they were at least 90% to blame here, anyway.
donlarson8

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 1:23 pm

BeefEater wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:16 pm
USU78 wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}
Ewwwww. Please, don't accuse me of being one of your fans. I am an Anteater!

No, I just wanted to throw my two cents in because I have a excellent gaydar when it comes to false media narratives. This one stunk.

I figured there was something Spinal Tap going on with the Reno team disorderly roaming up and down the tunnel. Whatever it was, exactly, they weren't where they belonged. Therefore, SOMETHING happened after they entered the tunnel which preceded the start of the video.

All this talk about "touching" and racism seems suspiciously like a red herring to distract from the truth.
Anteaters? Aren't you guys ones we beat by like 60 points in your house this year? I vaguely remember that game. Mostly I remember the camera being zoomed in pointed at the floor. And Zot! I remember Zot!

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 1:27 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:23 pm
BeefEater wrote:
USU78 wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}

Anteaters? Aren't you guys ones we beat by like 60 points in your house this year? I vaguely remember that game. Mostly I remember the camera being zoomed in pointed at the floor. And Zot! I remember Zot!
No, those were some other Anteaters, because you know, it is such a common mascot you have us confused.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 1:32 pm

BeefEater wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:27 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
USU78 wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}

No, those were some other Anteaters, because you know, it is such a common mascot you have us confused.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. There are so many inconsequential schools in the UC system that it's hard to keep them all straight.

USU78

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 1:33 pm

BeefEater wrote:
USU78 wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}
Ewwwww. Please, don't accuse me of being one of your fans. I am an Anteater! Me and Utah State go back a ways.

SAggie = Southern Aggie = New Mexico State.

Sorry about that.

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 1:34 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:33 pm
BeefEater wrote:
USU78 wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}

SAggie = Southern Aggie = New Mexico State.

Sorry about that.
Ah, I thought the S was for State.

USU78

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 1:35 pm

--Let's leave it at that, or head to the Sandbox. --The Management

Did and done.
Last edited by USU78 on March 4th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeefEater

Post by BeefEater » March 4th, 2019, 1:41 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:32 pm
BeefEater wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:27 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
USU78 wrote:
BeefEater wrote:
{snip}

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. There are so many inconsequential schools in the UC system that it's hard to keep them all straight.
Let me help you out, then. UC Irvine is the 2019 Quad 1 win that Utah State needs to make sure they don't get snubbed by the selection committee, like they always do.
donlarson8

Locked Previous topicNext topic