The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AgSpaceCase

Re: The Nevada Incident: What Really Happened

Post by AgSpaceCase » March 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Depending on how much detail gets released and the suspensions that could go down this may have a significant effect on the POY race. from what i was seeing Caroline was the front runner but ending the season with a terrible game then suspension would not be well viewed by the voters. Likely plays a role in the COY race as well, which seems to be down to Smith or Musselman.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 12:38 pm

AgSpaceCase wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Depending on how much detail gets released and the suspensions that could go down this may have a significant effect on the POY race. from what i was seeing Caroline was the front runner but ending the season with a terrible game then suspension would not be well viewed by the voters. Likely plays a role in the COY race as well, which seems to be down to Smith or Musselman.
If we beat CSU on Tuesday, there's no way they won't give it to Smith.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 4th, 2019, 12:38 pm

This also helps make sense of why all the Nevada players in the initial tunnel video footage look unconcerned and uninterested in JC's behavior as they head back towards the locker room. My guess is they had all just charged past their assistant coach(es) to stop JC from going to the USU locker room and not to join him in whatever he was going to attempt. The Martins both acted in a mature manner out on the court even when their coaches were not. Porter is seen in the KUTV video as being the only player that is showing some concern toward Caroline so my assumption is that he was trying to hold his teammates back from going after Caroline and by his actions of trying to rip down property too, he may have had similar feelings and outrage and felt influenced or sympathetic to JC.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 12:45 pm

NVAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm
So the question is...what prompted the exiting of the Nevada players from the Nevada locker room?

Probably getting their butts kicked by a bunch low talent basketball players.
I don't think we'll ever know the true reasoning behind any of it.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » March 4th, 2019, 12:47 pm

You would think Jake Edmonds from KUTV (original video posted to Twitter) could have mentioned that the Nevada team was heading in the direction of the USU locker room and had already been to their own locker room.

But that's not nearly as interesting as just throwing a video online and saying emotions were running high.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 2):
Aggie_in_IdahoZaggie07

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 4th, 2019, 12:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:45 pm
NVAggie wrote:
So the question is...what prompted the exiting of the Nevada players from the Nevada locker room?

And that's why we will lose in the court of public opinion. He's actions were wrong, but it's a he said he said sort of thing, and I'm sure he has a great reason for leaving the locker room ready to go. I don't expect musselman to be honest about it either.

Go Aggies!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:47 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

And that's why we will lose in the court of public opinion. He's actions were wrong, but it's a he said he said sort of thing, and I'm sure he has a great reason for leaving the locker room ready to go. I don't expect musselman to be honest about it either.
Honestly, though, there is NO great reason for leaving the locker room. NONE.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » March 4th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Bank Shot wrote:As time has past, I've become increasingly confident that most, if not all the blame for this incident lies with Nevada. The Nevada press and forums have gone completely silent as if they are cowering in a corner waiting for the hammer to drop.
As they sit back and watch or listen to all the talking heads demonize USU. The MWC will hopefully release some truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 4th, 2019, 12:58 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

Agreed, no good reason.

Go Aggies!

AggieTrevor1985
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieTrevor1985 » March 4th, 2019, 1:05 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

There is one good reason, to get on the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » March 4th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Source must be Justin Bean. That innocent face could never tell a lie. :joking:

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » March 4th, 2019, 1:31 pm

IF, and I say IF at this point, because I don't know truth, I don't even know who ours peeps are that say "they know 100%"....
so if it is true, then the MWC should ban Nevada from the tournament in Vegas, and hand down other sanctions against Mussle-less-man. You cant have a team going helter skelter into the other teams locker area to rumble. That deserves the highest punishment from not only the MWC but NCAA. There is no punishment strong enough for that behavior.

until people identify themselves, with sources and provide proof, I will only hope it is true and something is done to the outlaws.
These users thanked the author sammyhagar for the post:
aggieman2828

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Leaving your own locker room to go start a brawl is a big, big deal and, if found to be true, should be dealt with harshly.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 4th, 2019, 1:36 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:31 pm
IF, and I say IF at this point, because I don't know truth, I don't even know who ours peeps are that say "they know 100%"....
so if it is true, then the MWC should ban Nevada from the tournament in Vegas, and hand down other sanctions against Mussle-less-man. You cant have a team going helter skelter into the other teams locker area to rumble. That deserves the highest punishment from not only the MWC but NCAA. There is no punishment strong enough for that behavior.

until people identify themselves, with sources and provide proof, I will only hope it is true and something is done to the outlaws.
And prior to the police officer flying in to push them back, as seen in one of the videos, why aren't the Nevada coaches already in the process of getting their team back? Do they not have control?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 1:39 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:36 pm
sammyhagar wrote:

And prior to the police officer flying in to push them back, as seen in one of the videos, why aren't the Nevada coaches already in the process of getting their team back? Do they not have control?
Apparently not. It was the players who were trying to get the coaches and Caroline under control. It was the same thing on the court in the handshake line. The coaches were trying to go at it with the USU coaches, and the Nevada players actually held them back and made them go up the tunnel.

Props to the Nevada players. They all acted with class and control except for Caroline and Taylor to some extent. The assistant coaches were way out of line as well as Muss.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Honestly, I don't even care about this anymore. Short of it coming out that Caroline was called the "N" word, he's being a little b-----.

I don't care if an assistant said "F--- you, Jordan, your mother is a f----ing whore." I don't care if a fan got in his face and called him a mean non-racially charged insult. You don't damage property. Period. End of Story.

Unless he was called the N-word, he should sit out one or two games and write an apology to the fire extinguisher. Nothing short of overt racism is going to turn me to Nevada's side on this.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
donlarson8

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » March 4th, 2019, 1:44 pm

The main thing that us telling to if this story is confirmed is Mussleman sidestepping players in the act. Thats the type of negligence that should get a coach fired.

This sounds like UNR crossing the line and throwing petty claims at USU to justify and shift the spotlight. This is like Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson trying to shift blame to the beer-throwing fan at the Malice in the Palace.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 4th, 2019, 1:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Honestly, I don't even care about this anymore. Short of it coming out that Caroline was called the "N" word, he's being a little b-----.

I don't care if an assistant said "F--- you, Jordan, your mother is a f----ing whore." I don't care if a fan got in his face and called him a mean non-racially charged insult. You don't damage property. Period. End of Story.

Unless he was called the N-word, he should sit out one or two games and write an apology to the fire extinguisher. Nothing short of overt racism is going to turn me to Nevada's side on this.
Seriously. That fire extinguisher now comes from a broken home thanks to Caroline.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 4th, 2019, 1:48 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:44 pm
The main thing that us telling to if this story is confirmed is Mussleman sidestepping players in the act. Thats the type of negligence that should get a coach fired.

This sounds like UNR crossing the line and throwing petty claims at USU to justify and shift the spotlight. This is like Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson trying to shift blame to the beer-throwing fan at the Malice in the Palace.
Except that the beer-throwing fan actually existed and was caught on video throwing the beer.

In this case all we have is a handshake snub started by Muss, followed up by our last assistant, and then a shouting match between assistant coaches on court. And a bunch of unsubstantiated B.S. about our student touching their players that is disproven by multiple sources of video footage.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 1:49 pm

sammyhagar wrote:

Who I am is no big secret. My name is attached to everything I publish, my real name is my Twitter handle. The proof will be in the tapes once they are finally released BUT I will NEVER, EVER out my sources. You might think I may be full of $hit but take a look back at many of my posts that would require some sort of "insider" information if that's what you would like to call it. I am rarely incorrect because my sources are rarely incorrect. For the life of me, I don't know why some people want to kill the messenger. Back when journalism wasn't so reviled this kind of information would be called a "scoop." Do you see anyone else reporting what I've detailed?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
crazywookiedonlarson8

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 1:52 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:45 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:

Seriously. That fire extinguisher now comes from a broken home thanks to Caroline.
If we end up coming out of this clean and Caroline is suspended, the Merrill family needs to make a donation for a plaque to be put next to the fire extinguisher calling it the "Sam Merrill Memorial Fire Extinguisher." It will forever be remembered as the fire extinguisher that pushed Sam over the edge for MW POY.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » March 4th, 2019, 1:56 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:49 pm
sammyhagar wrote:

Who I am is no big secret. My name is attached to everything I publish, my real name is my Twitter handle. The proof will be in the tapes once they are finally released BUT I will NEVER, EVER out my sources. You might think I may be full of $hit but take a look back at many of my posts that would require some sort of "insider" information if that's what you would like to call it. I am rarely incorrect because my sources are rarely incorrect. For the life of me, I don't know why some people want to kill the messenger. Back when journalism wasn't so reviled this kind of information would be called a "scoop." Do you see anyone else reporting what I've detailed?
Why isn't anyone doing a story on this? Wouldn't 247 want to scoop the rest of the national media?
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
usufan1

Aggies All the Way!

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 2:10 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 1:56 pm
aggies22 wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:

Why isn't anyone doing a story on this? Wouldn't 247 want to scoop the rest of the national media?
I brought it here first because I was given permission to bring it here. I have asked permission to expand my coverage and Tweet it out but I have yet to get a response.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 5):
usufan1MrBiggleAggie_in_Idahodirtnsnowdonlarson8

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 4th, 2019, 2:16 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:10 pm
dirtnsnow wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:

I brought it here first because I was given permission to bring it here. I have asked permission to expand my coverage and Tweet it out but I have yet to get a response.
Thank you Aggies22, you do good work.

Where only sage brush grows

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Short of it coming out that Caroline was called the "N" word, he's being a little b-----.
Why should that make a difference? I'm honestly confused by what you're saying here.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 4th, 2019, 2:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:

Thanks aggies22. I for one appreciate getting the scoop.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » March 4th, 2019, 2:18 pm

What is being lost on all of this, is it is a HUGE Distraction. If Assistant coaches are worried about what comes out in the press or in the news, then it distracts from the job they are supposed to do, prepare the players from the upcoming CSU game. Also, I imagine the CSU fans will be ready to hand out insults.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » March 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Short of it coming out that Caroline was called the "N" word, he's being a little b-----.
Why should that make [such] a difference? I'm honestly confused by what you're saying here.
Well, you see.... you use... different moves.... when you're fighting... half a dozen people... than when you only have to be worried.... about one.
These users thanked the author usubobcat for the post:
josephconlin

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 4th, 2019, 2:27 pm

RigAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:18 pm
What is being lost on all of this, is it is a HUGE Distraction. If Assistant coaches are worried about what comes out in the press or in the news, then it distracts from the job they are supposed to do, prepare the players from the upcoming CSU game. Also, I imagine the CSU fans will be ready to hand out insults.

[I hope coach Smith is not focusing on this and preparing his team for CSU. CSU and their fans are going to be ready since now USU is 1st in the conference. I sure hope the team comes prepared and finishes off the regular season right with at least CO Champs of the conference. Sure would be sad to beat NEV and then lost the championship at CSU.]

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2019, 2:27 pm

usubobcat wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm
USU78 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
Why should that make [such] a difference? I'm honestly confused by what you're saying here.
Well, you see.... you use... different moves.... when you're fighting... half a dozen people... than when you only have to be worried.... about one.
What I am saying is this — if Caroline acted this way because someone called him the N-word, I am sympathetic to the way he reacted. Other than that, I have no sympathy for how he reacted.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » March 4th, 2019, 2:28 pm

aggies22 wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:

I appreciate that. It just seems that some other outlets could have said what happened prior to USU being dragged through the mud (looking at you, KUTV).

Aggies All the Way!

Blue42

Post by Blue42 » March 4th, 2019, 2:34 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:27 pm
usubobcat wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:20 pm
USU78 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
What I am saying is this — if Caroline acted this way because someone called him the N-word, I am sympathetic to the way he reacted. Other than that, I have no sympathy for how he reacted.
I was saying the same exact thing last night. Short of being called a racial slur like that, nothing said should warrant that type of reaction. He's a D1 college basketball player. He should know better than to deface property at an opponent's arena and attempt to start a fight. Especially as a fifth-year senior.

“Winning takes care of everything.”
- (pre-divorce) Tiger Woods

Miguk Aggie

Post by Miguk Aggie » March 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 10:37 am
Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hope this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

On the accusation that our fans made contact with the Nevada players?

After review of what film is available there has been no evidence that this ever occurred. In fact, after further review it was clear that Tre'shawn Thurman made contact with members of the Utah State student section after one of the Martin twins took a tumble and the students section jeered Martin by pointing fingers and talking some trash. As Thurman approached Martin to help him up, Thurman swatted the hands of members of the student section.

The handshake line?

Unfortunately there is no audio so much of what occurred has to be judged visually by the reaction of the individuals in the line. What you can see his Musselman shake hands with everyone in the line but he inexplicably avoids one Utah State assistant. Dave Ragland. As the rest of the Nevada assistant coaches kind of "noodle arm" their way through the line, it looks like Coach Ragland turns and says something to Mussleman. Circumstancially Nevada GA Patrick Ackerman happens to hear Coach Ragland and Ackerman in turn says something to Coach Ragland. Some finger pointing occurs but clearly nothing physical happens.

What happened in the tunnel?

Jordan Caroline has been described to me as "inconsolable" as he made his way up the tunnel. He was sobbing into his jersey and had to be coaxed into the Nevada locker room by several Nevada assistant coaches. BUT Jordan Caroline DID in fact enter the Nevada locker room. Following a brief stay in the locker room Caroline emerged outraged and ran down the hall in the direction of the Utah State locker room. The rest of the Nevada team had to literally battle one of their own assistants in order to follow Caroline's lead. The group succeeded in running over their own assistant coach and rapidly made their way toward the Utah State locker room as well. The only player that appeared to think what his teammates were doing was a bad idea was Trey Porter who had to resort to nearly tackling Caleb Martin in an attempt to keep him from following the group. However, Porter's attempts were futile as Martin stiff-arms Porter in the face and Porter shakes his head and gives up and lets Martin sprint down the hall toward the others.

The scene that ensues is what has been recorded and Tweeted out to the world by other reporters and gone viral. The incredible thing that isn't captured on any viral video is Musselman not only side-stepping the raging Jordan Caroline but essentially ignoring the tirade altogether and refusing to help diffuse the situation involving his player. Not wanting to be completely left out of the destruction of University property theme, Trey Porter takes out his aggression by attempting to rip down a framed picture of Old Main before a Nevada assistant tells him to get in the locker room.

My Conclusion.

It's really a blessing in disguise that our kids were still out celebrating on the floor with the student body because this had the potential to be so much worse. The world may never know what it was that caused Jordan Caroline to snap but his actions should be career ending for him. He essentially attempted to incite a riot and damaged private property in the process. Appropriate punishments should be handed down for all the other Nevada players who participated in storming the locker room and IF applicable the Nevada coaching staff as well.
Any chance criminal charges will be brought against any players or coaches?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Miguk Aggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Let me preface this by saying what I have written below is from a source and has 100% first hand knowledge of the events that occurred Saturday night. This is a source that I trust implicitly and a source that I WILL NOT divulge the identity of. I really hope this helps answer questions and not create more of them.

After review of what film is available there has been no evidence that this ever occurred. In fact, after further review it was clear that Tre'shawn Thurman made contact with members of the Utah State student section after one of the Martin twins took a tumble and the students section jeered Martin by pointing fingers and talking some trash. As Thurman approached Martin to help him up, Thurman swatted the hands of members of the student section.

The handshake line?

Unfortunately there is no audio so much of what occurred has to be judged visually by the reaction of the individuals in the line. What you can see his Musselman shake hands with everyone in the line but he inexplicably avoids one Utah State assistant. Dave Ragland. As the rest of the Nevada assistant coaches kind of "noodle arm" their way through the line, it looks like Coach Ragland turns and says something to Mussleman. Circumstancially Nevada GA Patrick Ackerman happens to hear Coach Ragland and Ackerman in turn says something to Coach Ragland. Some finger pointing occurs but clearly nothing physical happens.

Jordan Caroline has been described to me as "inconsolable" as he made his way up the tunnel. He was sobbing into his jersey and had to be coaxed into the Nevada locker room by several Nevada assistant coaches. BUT Jordan Caroline DID in fact enter the Nevada locker room. Following a brief stay in the locker room Caroline emerged outraged and ran down the hall in the direction of the Utah State locker room. The rest of the Nevada team had to literally battle one of their own assistants in order to follow Caroline's lead. The group succeeded in running over their own assistant coach and rapidly made their way toward the Utah State locker room as well. The only player that appeared to think what his teammates were doing was a bad idea was Trey Porter who had to resort to nearly tackling Caleb Martin in an attempt to keep him from following the group. However, Porter's attempts were futile as Martin stiff-arms Porter in the face and Porter shakes his head and gives up and lets Martin sprint down the hall toward the others.

The scene that ensues is what has been recorded and Tweeted out to the world by other reporters and gone viral. The incredible thing that isn't captured on any viral video is Musselman not only side-stepping the raging Jordan Caroline but essentially ignoring the tirade altogether and refusing to help diffuse the situation involving his player. Not wanting to be completely left out of the destruction of University property theme, Trey Porter takes out his aggression by attempting to rip down a framed picture of Old Main before a Nevada assistant tells him to get in the locker room.

My Conclusion.

It's really a blessing in disguise that our kids were still out celebrating on the floor with the student body because this had the potential to be so much worse. The world may never know what it was that caused Jordan Caroline to snap but his actions should be career ending for him. He essentially attempted to incite a riot and damaged private property in the process. Appropriate punishments should be handed down for all the other Nevada players who participated in storming the locker room and IF applicable the Nevada coaching staff as well.
If the fire extinguisher incident was all that really happened, I personally don’t want criminal charges to be brought. But I do want the full story to be told everywhere and apologies made to our school, staff and fans. .
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
donlarson8

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » March 4th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Miguk Aggie wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:

The handshake line?

My Conclusion.

Although, I would imagine a combination of charges including vandalism, destruction of private property, criminal mischief or disorderly conducted could be pressed. I haven't heard of any plans to do so and personally I would be shocked if it happened.

Locked Previous topicNext topic